Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2011, 09:08 AM   #226
STBNE
Yamaha ADVenturer

Oddometer: 5,810
Frank...your pics remind me of a saying by the late author Edward Abbey...something to the effect that true freedom is synonymous with true wilderness. One cant experience one without the other. Trying to imagine how the early pioneers persevered thru such unforgiving expanses gives a real respect for their grit and determination. Your RR makes this ever so plain to see. Being reliant on your machine and just how much we take for granted until it breaks down(hopefully that wont happen) and then all of the primitive challenges are right there.
STBNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:20 AM   #227
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,018
finding these roads...

question to those riding in this report. i'd like to try parts of your route, but i can't seem to find the oregon trail or some of these other roads on my city navigator software. i found a dotted line called the oregon trail on my aaa paper map.

do i need different map software to ride this route? i have a new 60csx gps, but don't really know how to use it yet.

also, the earliest i could intersect the cdr is about september 12 this year. is that too late? i'm riding from boston to start the trip and leaving the bike in az for the winter.

thanks for any help.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:18 AM   #228
DockingPilot OP
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,006
Thanks fellas. STBNE: Your right. On a motorbike is one thing, in a wagon drawn by oxen, with your family aboard, hostile Indians, no water and so on, is quite another !

Pantah, that should be fine as we were there the last 2 weeks of Sept. Although no guarantees. Finding these remants of the Oregon Trail is a little tricky, which is probably why is still partly intact here.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:55 AM   #229
DockingPilot OP
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Day 5 Ends in Rawlins Wyoming

We could feel the wind starting to pick up quite a bit and could see the dark clouds forming to the southeast. We knew we had to get out to civilization, meaning for us, Rawlins. We had covered a big distance and now it was time "to just get there". Grub, fuel and motel were in order tonight.
Duane would stay back and wait it out for Dennis, which at that point we had no idea if he was still making headway or captured by a small tribe of Shoshone squaws.

We bee line it for Rawlins. As luck would have it, Duane and Dennis pull up about an hour behind. Dennis's Husky vibrating like a paint mixer, but still rideable to a degree on the dirt, needed to be trucked the last few miles. I'm not joking when I say we pulled into the motel and it started to pour. Lady luck was still with us. This would be the only rain, or clouds really, we would ever see throughout the entire 2 week trip. The next morning from the comfort of our motel room, it was over.

Dennis was obviously out. At least for now. Owning a 610 myself, Dennis and I knew exactly what the problem was. The counter balancer key had sheared. Finding a Husqvarna dealer in Rawlins Wyoming was obviously not going to happen. So Dennis told us to carry on without him, he would stay and fix the bike come hell or high water. He found a Yamaha dealer willing to give him a bay. Dennis worked all day on the Husky. We would ride on.

Dennis:
"Thanks to Duane, who was behind me, he rode shotgun as I limped the bike at 20 mph to Interstate 80, 18 miles away. I had thought of riding to Rawlins but that meant certain death on the interstate at such a slow speed. Enter I-80 Powersports, Rawlins, WY! We started making phone calls at a truck stop and got in touch with these great guys. Chad, an employee of the shop, picked me up using his own pick-up and trailer and hauled me back to the shop, 45 mins away".

"Chad (behind the computer screen) drove 45 minutes to pick me up and trailer me back to the shop".

The culpret. And the larger replacement.

While we continued on our epic adventure the next day, Dennis would spend most of that day filing down the key to proper size. It took almost all day.

Dennis being a U.S. Navy Submarine Engineer, was a perfectionist. And took due diligence in making the replacement better fitting than oem.
In Dennis's own words:
"It was imperative that the key flats were parallel, so I mentally divided the key into quadrants and carefully measured each one after five or six strokes. I got the key to withing one thousandth of an inch between both surfaces at all quadrants. I put the key back in, slathered red Locktite all over the shaft threads and tightened. I started her up the next day and she purred like a kitten".

Meanwhile, the scenery would change but again for us, as we were riding south out of Rawlins and back into an alpine terrain for the Colorado/Wyoming border where we would make a sharp right and head due west along the border between these 2 western states.

Coming up soon is ECHO PARK. If you have never seen or heard of it before, you are in for a treat. This place should be on every adventurers bucket list of places to ride to and camp. Unbelievable I tell ya !

DockingPilot screwed with this post 01-23-2011 at 01:39 PM
Old 01-23-2011, 12:12 PM   #230
spanker
bada bing, capiche?

Oddometer: 825
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post

We bee line it for Rawlins. As luck would have it, Duane and Dennis pull up about an hour behind. Dennis's Husky vibrating like a paint mixer, but still rideable to a degree on the dirt, needed to be trucked the last few miles. I'm not joking when I say we pulled into the motel and it started to pour. Lady luck was still with us. This would be the only rain, or clouds really, we would ever see throughout the entire 2 week trip. The next morning, it was over.

Dennis is obviously out. At least for now. Owning a 610 myself, Dennis and I know exactly what the problem was. The counter balancer key had sheared. Finding a Husqvarna dealer in Rawlins Wyoming was obviously not going to happen. So Dennis told us to carry on without him in the am, he would stay and fix the bike come hell or high water. He found a Yamaha dealer willing to give him a bay. Dennis worked all the next day on the Husky.

The culpret. And the larger replacement.

While we continued on our epic adventure the next day, Dennis would spend most of that day filing down the key to proper size. It took almost all day.

!
Nice job with the RR Frank. If I could take the liberty of embellishing the moment. Y'all really need to understand the magnitude of a bike failure on a trip like this. I spent five months prepping the bike, hundreds of phone calls with Frank going over every detail (he owned a Husky too), leaving no stone unturned. We've all spent thousands of dollars (camp gear, bike stuff, shipping the bike, hotels etc etc etc) and BAM! My bike is broke in the middle of nowhere. I feel like I let down my riding partners, screwed up the whole trip because of a $1.50 woodruff key, which incidentally failed because it was loose from the factory. My anxiety level was red-lined. How do I fix it? If I can't, how do I get the bike home? Thanks to George Erl at Uptite Racing for the suggestion of filing down an SAE-sized key and the guys at I-80 Powersports, the patience of my partners and Frank's meticulous planning, it all worked out. Frank can cover how we hooked back up if he chooses, I don't want to steal his thunder.
spanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 12:54 PM   #231
SierraJeep
It's toast

Oddometer: 626
I am glad I found this one, as it's giving me some ideas for my (hopefully) upcoming summer trip. The planning, planning, planning, preparation, planning, and steady accumulation of gear and accessories has been pre-occupying my budget and mind for now. This is nice to watch something unfold and (thus far) work like clockwork. Good job guys.

Thanks for the inspiration. It'll keep me focused.

2010 KTM 990 Adventure
2010 KTM 450 EXC
SierraJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:26 PM   #232
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by spanker View Post
Thanks to George Erl at Uptite Racing for the suggestion of filing down an SAE-sized key and the guys at I-80 Powersports, the patience of my partners and Frank's meticulous planning, it all worked out.
does the key need to be hardened?
the landscapes are amazing.They are as foreign to me as the moon!
Old 01-23-2011, 01:32 PM   #233
DockingPilot OP
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraJeep View Post
I am glad I found this one, as it's giving me some ideas for my (hopefully) upcoming summer trip. The planning, planning, planning, preparation, planning, and steady accumulation of gear and accessories has been pre-occupying my budget and mind for now. This is nice to watch something unfold and (thus far) work like clockwork. Good job guys.

Thanks for the inspiration. It'll keep me focused.

I have to say, and I say this in a humble manner. Over 14 days and 2,600 miles of stuff like this, there is a lot or opportunity for things to go south. Lost, loosing someone, running out of fuel, incorrect routing, improper camping equipment and so on. This trip did indeed run like clockwork and the nice thing was, once we pushed "GO" on the GPS units leaving Idaho Falls on the morning of day 1, we didn't even have to think about it. We could totally loose ourselves in the adventure. And we did.

DockingPilot screwed with this post 01-23-2011 at 01:39 PM
Old 01-23-2011, 01:59 PM   #234
byways
byways

Oddometer: 2,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
question to those riding in this report. i'd like to try parts of your route, but i can't seem to find the oregon trail or some of these other roads on my city navigator software. i found a dotted line called the oregon trail on my aaa paper map.

do i need different map software to ride this route? i have a new 60csx gps, but don't really know how to use it yet.

also, the earliest i could intersect the cdr is about september 12 this year. is that too late? i'm riding from boston to start the trip and leaving the bike in az for the winter.

thanks for any help.
Pantah, Benchmark Maps' Wyoming Road and Recreation Atlas (not DeLorme) has the information you will need -- wagon routes, stagecoach and Pony Express station sites, all of that. They're the best, and were a primary trip-planning resource for us. Same with the Benchmark atlases for Colo, Idaho, Montana, Utah. Too big to carry on a bike, and kind of pricey at about $22 or so each. But shop around.

byways screwed with this post 01-24-2011 at 06:22 AM
byways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 04:57 PM   #235
spanker
bada bing, capiche?

Oddometer: 825
advnzer,

Quote:
Originally Posted by advNZer? View Post
does the key need to be hardened?
the landscapes are amazing.They are as foreign to me as the moon!
No, you do not want the key hardened. Any shaft key is intended to be a strong mechanical link designed to withstand "normal" operational parameters and not designed to be indestructible. That is the key is engineered with specific material properties and dimensions to be the sacrifical link between the crankshaft and the counterbalance shaft gear. If the key was hardened and fitted loosely (as was my case), the constant shock loads from acceleration and deceleration would eventually peen over the key slot, roll the edges and ruin the shaft. You want the key to shear and not damage the slot, exactly what happened to my bike. Because the key was loose, it didn't shear in textbook fashion but it didn't damage the crankshaft because the key material was softer than the shaft. It is extremely important that the key fit perfectly; if it can rock in the slot, the soft key material will begin to yield and fail from the shock loads created by acceleration and deceleration. That's why I spent so much time filing the key as perfectly as I could.

spanker screwed with this post 01-23-2011 at 05:27 PM
spanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:18 PM   #236
shutterman
some call me bop

Oddometer: 48
Ditto about the Benchmark maps

I agree with Tony about the Benchmark map books. They are much more detailed than the DeLorme books. I use them locate roads, landmarks, etc and then I can create routes in my gps software. They are pricey but well worth it
shutterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:32 PM   #237
shutterman
some call me bop

Oddometer: 48
This is a great RR. The first RR I read when I found the ADV website was from Dockingpilot about 3 years ago when he rode from northern Idaho to southern Idaho on many of the areas I have hunted in years past. That report got me energized to start riding again after many years away from motorcycles.

I was almost in the same area at the same time last September. I had just completed riding the Magruder Corridor and was headed to the CDR to ride south into Idaho and into Wyoming when my clutch slave cylinder went south on me in Wisdom, MT and I had to abandon the trip and limp home to Boise. This fall I will probably attempt to continue where I left off.

You are correct in stating that the best time to ride these areas is in September. I have been following your report with my Benchmark mapbook in place.

Thanks for the great report
shutterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:56 AM   #238
DockingPilot OP
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Day 6

We woke up that next morning to a cloud covered sky and a wet ground but at least it was not raining any more and the forecast was for sunny skies to return.
We ate a hearty breakfast at the motel, saddled up and left Rawlins. Today we would continue riding south to the Colorado border & cross it but our route would keep us close to the Wyoming Territory line. Did you know when the pioneers where crossing Wyoming it was not even a territory yet, let alone a state ? And Gold, that was discovered in Colorado, was the reason for the states geographically placed borders. They wanted it all

The morning cloud cover I talked about.

As promised, sunshine prevailed. Another glorious day. What day was it ? We weren't paying much attention to that, so we had no clue.

South out of Rawlins the landscape changes again. We wonder, why absolutley no trees north of I80 yet tress south of it.
We ride through the Medicine Bow National Forest and if your going to ride the CDR, so will you as this is the way.

Allright fellas, just quickly think back to what I showed you we already rode through, and now this ! I mean if this is heaven, lord take me now !

The route was awesome.

We would get higher

We popped out onto Wyoming Rt.70. An excellent, paved twisted road and took it into Encampment for Fuel and lunch.

Fuel as planned and excactly when needed.

Food, also when needed
John, thinking to himself ""can it get any better" ?

If you ever find yourself in Encampment Wyoming in need of lunch, you wont have much choice but I can tell you the choice will be excellent !

When I come back, we'll finish riding day 6 in Colorado, jump off the CDR and start heading torwards Echo Park, a real gem and something completely different.

DockingPilot screwed with this post 01-24-2011 at 09:24 AM
Old 01-24-2011, 08:44 AM   #239
DockingPilot OP
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Day 6 continued

Day 6

After lunch we head out for Colorado.

Elevation. Remember, late Sept.

Bruce on the mighty Super Enduro below. So "super" in fact it would nearly run out of fuel soon. Burce and I would split off from the other guys and go for an unexpected fuel stop in Baggs Wyoming, right on the Colo border. Bruce and I would ride alone the rest of the day and not see the other boys until that night. Question was hwere would that be ? Thats no big deal to any of us. "See you tonight boys, I'll leave word at the Hayden fuel stop as to where I expect us to be tonight, and you guys do the same if you get there 1st".

Bruce and I trying to figure out why the Super Enduro drank some much fuel. Before we depart the others.

Dangerously low on fuel, but a hella spot. We almost wouldn't mind being starnded right here.

After endless miles of national forest, we start to see some ranch homes.

We are on the border

This was voted as one of the most scenic roads we traveled. CR 80 I think John and Mike said it was. Aspen groves galore.

We spot what we believe, to be but cannot confirm, wild horses. At least we'd like to think they were.

Snow capped in the backround.

Wille Nelson's "Blue Skies" is playing in my mind.

Well it was now getting late in the day. Bruce and I had no idea if the others were ahead or behind us when we pulled into Hayden for fuel again after Bruces emergency Baggs stop. I asked the girl working the register if the boys had been there. She said they had not. We had about 45 mins of daylight left. Bruce and I made the decision to keep riding to Oak Creek where I had waypointed a motel. That was still about 40 miles away as I remember on dirt road. So the message was relayed to John, Mike and Duane that they are to go there to find us. Dennis in the meantime, was going to leave Rawlins in the am and hook up with us again as per his just recieved text. The question was "where" ? Remember, our route is circular in shap, so intersecting should be fairly easy.

On the leg from Hayden to Oak Creek, Bruce and I spotted our 1st Elk fairly close to us in the waning light.
Bruce and I pull in to a motel at dusk and secure the rooms for everyone. This photo was actually taken the next morning. We arrived the night before in the dark.

The boys pulled into Oak Creek about 45 mins behind us. Like clockwork we were together again and celebrated with some of the best baby backs and local brew I ever had !

When I return, we ride west, way beyond the 100th meridian, Dennis re connects with the trip and we camp in Echo Park, where a totaly new and different landscape awaited us ! As Tony advised us "if you boys camp anywhere, make it Echo Park"

DockingPilot screwed with this post 01-24-2011 at 09:31 AM
Old 01-24-2011, 09:28 AM   #240
johnpitts01
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 854
Cr80

If you have the chance ride CR80. An incredibly gorgeous stretch of road. 'Course we hit it at just the right time with the Aspens in full color.

It's a gravel twisting road and around every turn is anohter amazing vista.
johnpitts01 is offline   Reply With Quote