Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2012, 09:04 AM   #766
byways
byways

Oddometer: 2,144
Forest Road 550 update (Wyoming)

Tribe:

Riders over the last couple of seasons have encountered closures of Forest Road 550 in Medicine Bow-Routt National Forest--part of this route, south of Encampment, Wyo.--due to logging ("treatment," they call it) of "hazard" trees killed by pine bark beetles. That required re-routing.

I received word yesterday, Dec. 18, 2012, from Medicine Bow-Routt National Forest in Wyoming that hazard-tree logging on Road 550 is complete, "so closures and/or delays should not be an issue on this road."

The road passes Hog Park Reservoir south of Encampment.

Just FYI, removal of hazard trees will occur on roads 409 and 496, in this same vicinity, this winter and may continue into the riding season.

For info about roads 550, 409 and 496, call the forest's Saratoga office @ (307) 326-5258.
byways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:13 AM   #767
Tex76
Motersykle Advntyers

Oddometer: 867
Best RR I have read guys. So easy to read and the pictures just bring the story to life. I take my DSLR when i go and have been trying to up my skill set, now I realize how far I have to go!!
The Lost Texan, Wanders East
Tex76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:19 AM   #768
DockingPilot OP
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,343

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:17 PM   #769
byways
byways

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftystrat62 View Post
So was that considered one of the trickier sections? I realize pics & videos never do the steepness justice, but that looked dooable 2 up. The bottom with the few soft talc sections looked hard 2 up,but still worth going for. Do you have any other videos of the tough sections-like the parting of the ways in OR? Thanks for the video.
It ascends or descends, depending on your direction, some 3,000 feet in about 5 miles.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:56 PM   #770
byways
byways

Wyoming lodge offers reduced rate

Box Y Lodge--a charming lodge along the route in the Greys River valley between western Wyoming's Salt River and Wyoming ranges--is offering Heart of the West riders a reduced rate.

For one night's stay it's $80 per cabin for two people. You can buy meals there as you wish as well. It's a gorgeous, quiet locale deep in Bridger-Teton National Forest. However, summer operations typically conclude at the end of the first week of September; then a hunting outfitter takes over. But for folks who ride the route in mid-September, as I often advise, the proprietor says she may well have cabin available, but you must call ahead. Ask for our friend Cindy.

Just visit the website for more information.

This is a sweet deal for ya'll ...

Old 12-22-2012, 05:42 AM   #771
MizzouRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftystrat62 View Post
So was that considered one of the trickier sections? I realize pics & videos never do the steepness justice, but that looked dooable 2 up. The bottom with the few soft talc sections looked hard 2 up,but still worth going for. Do you have any other videos of the tough sections-like the parting of the ways in OR? Thanks for the video.
Maybe it's my age, or my imagination, or just my ego.. but, is this the big downhill after Echo Park Canyon?
I'm thinking maybe you have your videos mislabeled. We did it in Sept, and I don't think anyone was riding near that fast down that hill. It was second gear for me (on my XC) I think some of the guys I was with might have been in first.
I know for sure, that if I took my GSA down it, I'd be in first. I remember it being considerably steeper and very much just loose rocks.. Once again, my age may have tricked me into thinking it was more difficult. I hardly remember a spot where you could stop and get off the bike. Maybe we went down the wrong road.
I was really happy I was on the 650 that day.
Jeff
IBA#32778 2008 R1200GSA 2007 G650XChallenge
No man is as good as he ought to be, and few men are as bad as they seem.. (from a early 1900s post card found in Perry, Missouri..)
MizzouRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:44 AM   #772
DockingPilot OP
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Greys River Area Wyoming

....With a sky so clear and star filled we could easily count the satilites orbiting the earth. Seriously.

No, I'm not panning for gold here, I'm bathing in water that was snow 30 minutes prior in prepration for the star show. (yes, bio-degradeable camp soap)

Dennis, Mike, Bruce and John rewinding the days ride in their minds.

You can see our Greys River area camp in the distance

Yep, sadly, in a way, I'm certain this trip will be our apex. I seriously doubt anything going forward will come close to it. From the Great Salt Basin to the Grand Tetons, it had it all......

DockingPilot screwed with this post 01-20-2014 at 06:15 AM
Old 12-22-2012, 10:10 PM   #773
byways
byways

Gotcha!

A tent @ 10k feet ... Ha! You fell for that when a nice warm bed and fireplace was waiting half a mile down the road! Ha ha ha. Ok ... more like 20 miles.

Seriously, that is damned fine camping country. But I can attest to how cold those valleys get at night in September ... painful for the unprepared!

byways screwed with this post 12-22-2012 at 10:21 PM
Old 12-23-2012, 06:19 AM   #774
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Oddometer: 4,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by byways View Post
Tribe:

Riders over the last couple of seasons have encountered closures of Forest Road 550 in Medicine Bow-Routt National Forest--part of this route, south of Encampment, Wyo.--due to logging ("treatment," they call it) of "hazard" trees killed by pine bark beetles. That required re-routing.

I received word yesterday, Dec. 18, 2012, from Medicine Bow-Routt National Forest in Wyoming that hazard-tree logging on Road 550 is complete, "so closures and/or delays should not be an issue on this road."

The road passes Hog Park Reservoir south of Encampment.

Just FYI, removal of hazard trees will occur on roads 409 and 496, in this same vicinity, this winter and may continue into the riding season.

For info about roads 550, 409 and 496, call the forest's Saratoga office @ (307) 326-5258.
We did in fact run into a crew working in the vicinity of Hog Park. I don't recall any warning that the road was blocked ahead, but their was just enough room for us to squeeze through.
bemiiten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:54 AM   #775
DockingPilot OP
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Mikee,
After lunch in Encampment

And after we snapped John out of the spell that female server had him under

We had a road block due to beetle infestation, I called the ranger station for info, and had to re-route, we easily reconnected just before Hog Park.

Old 12-23-2012, 07:57 AM   #776
DockingPilot OP
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Funny how this trip & Idaho 06', I remember every detail to this day, unlike this years Wash/Ore BDR where it all runs together in my mind.

Old 12-23-2012, 08:02 AM   #777
byways
byways

Old 12-23-2012, 08:04 AM   #778
DockingPilot OP
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Old 12-23-2012, 08:10 AM   #779
DockingPilot OP
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Actually, it is the diversity of the surroundings that do that. Dramatic change throughout, as opposed to 1,400 miles of pine trees........ not to diminish the BDR we did this year by any means, but it paled in comparison to be honest.
I'm having trouble placing all the pics for the upcoming RR.
Yea, I'm spoiled

Old 12-23-2012, 08:23 AM   #780
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,545
Frank we are patiently waiting for the new ride report!

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is offline   Reply With Quote