Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2012, 04:46 AM   #796
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 9,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeegman View Post
The downhill was definitely rougher, and looser than it looked in the video but I would say the key is to make sure you have really good brakes - 20 minutes of constant downhill - and don't get the speed up especially with a heavy bike and load. My friend Jeremy, in the video on the black 990 Adventure with aluminum paniers passed me on the downhill and actually overshot a corner and went right off the road because he was going too fast.

The silt at the bottom was also tricky because of the depth of sand but also because there was hard packed ruts underneath. Slow and steady was the key there.

I do not have video from the Parting of the Ways area but there was some sand - not that deep except for one corner that had a quick sharp right turn right before the Parting of the Ways spot - its was like dropping into a deep sand pit - twisted me around pretty good but I did not loose it. That was about the only spot I would watch out for.

Mike Z

Zeegman, that was a great video! Thanks for posting it. I could see it was steep because of the trees. You did great wrasslin' the bars through the silt at the bottom too! I hate it when there are big ruts under that stuff that grab your wheel. Good thing was dry because that road looks like it would make for some troublesome mud. We never did that part of the trip because we continued south on the CDR. "Parting" was definitely soft but we were on small bikes so not really much of a challenge. Might have been a bit of a struggle on a 600lb motorcycle without knobbies, though.

Tried to ride from the route west Echo Park last September, but had a fuel pump failure and by the time I got it resolved, had to skip that part. Maybe try it next September. I bought tracks for it so I should be all set.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:56 PM   #797
zeegman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
Zeegman, that was a great video! Thanks for posting it. I could see it was steep because of the trees. You did great wrasslin' the bars through the silt at the bottom too! I hate it when there are big ruts under that stuff that grab your wheel. Good thing was dry because that road looks like it would make for some troublesome mud. We never did that part of the trip because we continued south on the CDR. "Parting" was definitely soft but we were on small bikes so not really much of a challenge. Might have been a bit of a struggle on a 600lb motorcycle without knobbies, though.

Tried to ride from the route west Echo Park last September, but had a fuel pump failure and by the time I got it resolved, had to skip that part. Maybe try it next September. I bought tracks for it so I should be all set.
Thanks Pantah

Great to hear you will go for it again this year.

IT was a blast going through there.

Was one of the highlights of the trip.

Happy trails

Mike Z
zeegman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:10 AM   #798
Dick Dastardly
Ride hard, Fall Softly

Oddometer: 1
Wow

Very rare that I read a RR twice. With the exception of big dogs adventures and Sly on his gold wing which were and still are good.

I usually read these on the I-pad but I am on my third read through on the I-mac because the photography and the history is that good.

Well done to all who made it happen. Stunning, just .........stunning.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:17 PM   #799
Sir Dave
Big Dave

Oddometer: 67
Making THE RIDE 9/2013

Forever West Crew,
WOW..can't wait to make this ride. Got the tracks from Tony along with a nice long phone conversation with him. What a great guy...I was just in awe for the entire conversation. I am the Docking Pilot of our crew (the Rat Pack), we have been riding together for over 13 years, we recently have gotten into the adventure end of the sport. All six of us ride GS/GSA's with one KLR. We will be leaving 9/7/2013 from Eagle Colorado. I plan to start getting into the details as soon as work lets me have a chance to catch my breath. Have a few questions or better yet would love to get your opinions..
1. Group size...y'all had 6 right?...that is the size of our base group...if we were 8 (2 want to join in) would that pose a problem?
2. Tires...we all plan to run fresh TKC front and rear...or maybe TKC front and Heindenau (sp?) rear.
3. Any probs on the ride that came up?
4. If you had to cut a section of the ride out to allow for time....what would that be?
Guys...just want to say thanks to all of you in advance for your wonderful documentation and the spirit you had and continue to share with all of us.....and also to give you a bit of a cussin cause this damn ride of yours has gripped my soul and it won't let go....but as of 9/2013 I'm there!!
RIde Safe
Dave
Douglass, TX
Old 02-13-2013, 02:20 AM   #800
Ontario GS
Budding Adv. Traveler

Oddometer: 376
Ditto, Sir Dave! We have a group meeting in Idaho Falls (3) around the 25th of August and plan to take our time doing the loop. Tony has been just excellent in answering our questions. It's now become difficult to stay focused at work as I day-dream about this adventure.

Husqvarna TE250 (The Gator) -- 10 KTM 690 Enduro

Life ain't about how fast you ride, or how high you climb, but how well you bounce.
Ontario GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:47 AM   #801
johnpitts01
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 836
You will LOVE this ride. If you do only one Adventure type ride this is the one. Mr. Huegel will work with you to make it "yours" depending on your desires, skill level and time.

I'm sure Docking Pilot will chime in with his advice and maybe some of the others in the crew.

1. Crew size. Difficult topic. Depends on how well the group gets along. IMO 6 is the maximum limit. Unless you consider breaking into smaller groups during the day with an agreement to rendezvous at the end of the day. Different personalitlies makes a large group sometimes troublesome to manage. Does everyone wake up @ the same time and get going at the same pace? If you have one or two early risers who like to get going quickly combined with a couple of sleep-ins who like a relaxed pace in the morning you have a recipe for conflict.

2. Tires. TKC's should be ok. I thinke Mike may have been running TKC's. My personal motto is to have the most aggressive tire you cn get for those times when it's really needed.

3. Problems. For us none. More than the usual number of flat tires, but no mechanicals, course errors lodging, weather, etc.

4. Cut out a section. Damn. Difficult to say. The Transcontinental Railroad section maybe. It is very very cool to ride but maybe a bit long and monotonous at some points. But you should really do it all.

Good luck!
Enjoy.

JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Dave View Post
Forever West Crew,
WOW..can't wait to make this ride. Got the tracks from Tony along with a nice long phone conversation with him. What a great guy...I was just in awe for the entire conversation. I am the Docking Pilot of our crew (the Rat Pack), we have been riding together for over 13 years, we recently have gotten into the adventure end of the sport. All six of us ride GS/GSA's with one KLR. We will be leaving 9/7/2013 from Eagle Colorado. I plan to start getting into the details as soon as work lets me have a chance to catch my breath. Have a few questions or better yet would love to get your opinions..
1. Group size...y'all had 6 right?...that is the size of our base group...if we were 8 (2 want to join in) would that pose a problem?
2. Tires...we all plan to run fresh TKC front and rear...or maybe TKC front and Heindenau (sp?) rear.
3. Any probs on the ride that came up?
4. If you had to cut a section of the ride out to allow for time....what would that be?
Guys...just want to say thanks to all of you in advance for your wonderful documentation and the spirit you had and continue to share with all of us.....and also to give you a bit of a cussin cause this damn ride of yours has gripped my soul and it won't let go....but as of 9/2013 I'm there!!
RIde Safe
Dave
Douglass, TX
johnpitts01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:36 AM   #802
travelingaustralian
Globe Trotting

Oddometer: 90
Just finished reading this great RR. Im down in cold Antarctica working. In my spare time I'm doing research for my Alaska to South America trip I plan on doing when I return from here.
I was looking for information and routes through Montana, Wyoming when I came across this write up. Great pictures and beautiful country side!
I'm sure Ill be planing some of my trip through these areas.
Look forward to reading your next RR

Cheers Travelingaustralian
travelingaustralian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:27 PM   #803
DockingPilot OP
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 8,865
Thanks !
Interesting I was just watching a show about these fellas racing to the South Pole in a outfitted truck called Polar.
You won't get any more remote then that !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:54 PM   #804
bomose
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 949
I've read this report for the third time now. One of the best reports I've read. My wife and I will be out that way this summer and were planning to do Yampa Bench road. We'll be 2 up on an unloaded 950 Adv. Are there any sections that would be very hard? We have ridden all around Moab,Taylor Park, and Ouray, so are pretty experienced. Would you go East to West , or vice versa? We'll be staying in Vernal. Thanks.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=955211Chasing Dinosaurs
bomose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:29 PM   #805
DockingPilot OP
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 8,865
We rode east to west and we liked that and would recomend it. You will have no problem 2 up on the Adventure. A little soft now and then but really nothing to note.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:12 PM   #806
bomose
Studly Adventurer

Thanks, DP. I'm hoping to do the " Forever West" for my 60th in 2015, if I can convince some friends to go along.It's gotten hard to get them to go anywhere these days.Need to find some younger friends.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:23 AM   #807
byways
byways

Oddometer: 2,028
Mud spot

Bomose: There is this one spot along Yampa Bench Road, somewhere westerly, not far from the turn to Echo Park as I recall. I don't know if it's a perennial seep or just a wet spot. Photo was taken in late May a couple of years ago.

byways screwed with this post 06-14-2013 at 07:47 AM Reason: add text
byways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:54 AM   #808
bomose
Studly Adventurer

I guess Barb will have to walk that!
Old 06-14-2013, 12:08 PM   #809
byways
byways

Oddometer: 2,028
byways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:09 PM   #810
Blaise W
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomose View Post
Thanks, DP. I'm hoping to do the " Forever West" for my 60th in 2015, if I can convince some friends to go along.It's gotten hard to get them to go anywhere these days.Need to find some younger friends.
Naaahh, you just need to add a few more riding buddies!
Blaise W is offline   Reply With Quote