Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2011, 10:56 AM   #76
HogWild OP
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lav1200 View Post
Speaking of Dakar routes, is there any way to obtain the full GPS track of the rally after the event?
Not that I'm aware of. For sure ASO will never provide the official GPS tracks. And competitors are not allowed to carry any type of GPS of their own, so unfortunately they can't (should not) record where they went. The only source would be from someone like me, or a team like VW that is probably doing something similar. The next best thing would be to talk a competitor into saving all their roadbooks, then navigate it just like them! Of course how ever you do it you may have serious problems, like no ASO provided gas way out in the middle of nowhere!
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 05:06 PM   #77
shrineclown
(AFKA Prince)

Oddometer: 9,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post
MI6 ?, Im only up to MI3! No, actually, I would do it if all it took was a couple hours after work. It's was a great challenge to see if it was possible, especially without the roadbook. But it's like a 12 hour per stage process. And from this thread, it looks like only a dozen or so people here actually used it. Worse still, I got no feedback, good or bad, from competitors in Argentina receiving it. So it seems somewhat pointless to continue.

To make it truly helpful for a competitor, I would need to step it up several notches. If that happened, this subject would become very quiet! For now, it's more like an intriguing toy which I had fun developing and sharing.
It was great while you could do it. I really enjoyed your effort. Mucho Gracias!
Old 01-07-2011, 11:06 AM   #78
dpifko
Can u smell the It's Its?

Oddometer: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrineclown View Post
It was great while you could do it. I really enjoyed your effort. Mucho Gracias!
+1. It's both impressive and tantalizing at the same time. I won't be racing, but I'd like to get to many of these roads/spots.

Thank you.

AVAILABLE NOW - ANDROID version: Greatest Drive
dpifko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:12 AM   #79
noobixent
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Good detective work. Wouldn't that be interesting if Google and ASO actually teamed up for every Dakar and give us detailed imagery access to the stages? Plus of course the terrain is only 1/2 the race, weather is another.

Though I had mixed feeling about the So America race when it started 3 yrs ago. It has actually turned out to be uniquely interesting how the altitude and the weather is now a big factor in the race. I would rather have that than think about rebels kidnapping competitors, or blowing up the caravans.
noobixent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:31 AM   #80
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobixent View Post
Good detective work. Wouldn't that be interesting if Google and ASO actually teamed up for every Dakar and give us detailed imagery access to the stages? Plus of course the terrain is only 1/2 the race, weather is another.

Though I had mixed feeling about the So America race when it started 3 yrs ago. It has actually turned out to be uniquely interesting how the altitude and the weather is now a big factor in the race. I would rather have that than think about rebels kidnapping competitors, or blowing up the caravans.
I have an idea to make the course into a GT5 addon. using a vehicle with sensors in the suspension, cameras and stuff to read the terrain and turn the telemetry into the game. I want to do it for the score races, and alot of the rallies, so some of us that would think it's cool as hell, could race the race every year from our couches.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:11 PM   #81
leeo45
Longtime Lurker

Oddometer: 182
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post
Nobody was expecting it, and it was probably too late for any competitor to really look over closely. Plus I thought it might be interesting for some of you to see while the stage was running.

Each one of these took me at least 12 hours to do. This is the last one I'm doing because I have to go back to work today. I hope at least a few of you got some fun out of it.
Great stuff and really appreciate seeing the output of what must have been a huge effort. It really added a close-up perspective to the stages. Thanks for sharing these files !!

"The Dakar is not a reasonable thing to do.... It simply is not reasonable to start with, so don't go looking for it to be reasonable later on." Neduro
leeo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 12:06 PM   #82
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,988
JUST catching this thread. Nice work Scott and would have only fed my Dakar addiction even worse. I love that map stuff. Tough enough to track the big thread much less the bunch of other interesting Dakar related threads.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote