ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-21-2012, 06:07 PM   #1
Geek OP
oot & aboot
 
Geek's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: 8000ft.
Oddometer: 31,607
After market triple trees?

I'm thinking I'm going to refresh the head bearings during my winter wrenching and I'm considering throwing some new triples on the bike.

I'd love to hear any input from those who've tried aftermarket? Has anyone tried putting a 20mm offset on the adventure?

I don't even know what all is out there? Emigs? BRP? ???





Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:13 AM   #2
MrSandman818
INaVANdownBYtheRIVER
 
MrSandman818's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: El Paso, Republic of Texas
Oddometer: 850
Thats not a bad way to spend a grand. I kept toying with the the idea myself. 20mm offset just sounds like it would be a huge upgrade in the handleing department for the twisties! More leverage.
__________________
-Chrome don't getcha home, but carbon fiber sure is fancy
2005 KTM 950 Adventure - back from the dead, Was totaled.
2005 Yamaha YZ250F - low compression, because race bike
1989 Yamaha TW200 - clapped out from a tweaker
1978 Batavus 48 - back from the dead. Parked since 83'
MrSandman818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 01:26 PM   #3
DuctTape
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Kansas
Oddometer: 351
Interesting thread because the first thing I did when I got my 990 was take it to the same twisties I use to sort out my RSV4 and 1198 for the track and there's this one really nice increasing radius blind curve at the end that once I'm pointed straight I can glance at the speedo and my other two bikes will be in the 130 to 140 range. When I rode the 990 I came out at 105 the first time and thought oh SHAT!


When I got home I looked up the offset and it's 29MM and the offset on both my 1198 and RSV4 is 28MM (With both having adjustable triple clamps).

What this told me is that out cornering the grip on the 21" front tire would be no problem (Lowside) long before anything dragged.
Since the only time my 990 will see pavement is for fuel (I live on a dirt road) out cornering the grip on Knobbies would be even easier so I just went with the BRP/Scotts damper combo.

Can't speak for the other triples but if you do upgrade with the BRP the HDB top clamp for the stock triple won't fit.
__________________
2013 KTM 690 (Thanks FLHRCI Buyer! )
2011 990 Adventure Dakar (Thank you Honey!)
2010 Aprilia RSV4 Factory
2010 Ducati 1198S
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 02:14 PM   #4
Geek OP
oot & aboot
 
Geek's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: 8000ft.
Oddometer: 31,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
t if you do upgrade with the BRP the HDB top clamp for the stock triple won't fit.

...except that the owner of HDB is a close friend of mine and if he won't make me what I need I'll make up lies to get him in trouble with his wife
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 03:27 PM   #5
jonny cash
LEGEND
 
jonny cash's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: harrisburg illinois
Oddometer: 370
If you go that route, lean on him to make 2 , i would like to try the hdb setup with my scotts triple
jonny cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 03:34 PM   #6
unaweep
Uses lotsa band-aids
 
unaweep's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Western Colorado
Oddometer: 20,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny cash View Post
If you go that route, lean on him to make 2 , i would like to try the hdb setup with my scotts triple
It works. I have that setup on my 950 SE and 990 R. You just need to order a top clamp for a different bike. Paul can help you sort it.

I really like the Scotts BRP top triple and stabilizer. Emig cannot take a good beating from a crash. They twist like pretzels and cause the stablizer to self-destruct, if you're prone to get-offs.
unaweep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 03:42 PM   #7
Qwik
Adrenaline Addict
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Sunnyvale, California
Oddometer: 6,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
...except that the owner of HDB is a close friend of mine and if he won't make me what I need I'll make up lies to get him in trouble with his wife
Thats EVIL. (And I LIKE IT)
__________________
Topes never seem to make me go any faster.
Qwik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 03:57 PM   #8
DuctTape
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Kansas
Oddometer: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by unaweep View Post
It works. I have that setup on my 950 SE and 990 R. You just need to order a top clamp for a different bike. Paul can help you sort it.

I really like the Scotts BRP top triple and stabilizer. Emig cannot take a good beating from a crash. They twist like pretzels and cause the stablizer to self-destruct, if you're prone to get-offs.
The HDB top clamp size needed for the BRP is 100X38/40MM Bolt Pattern.

The HDB top clamp size for the stock triple on the 990 is 90x38/40mm Bolt Pattern.






Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
...except that the owner of HDB is a close friend of mine and if he won't make me what I need I'll make up lies to get him in trouble with his wife

LOL, that is Evil....................
__________________
2013 KTM 690 (Thanks FLHRCI Buyer! )
2011 990 Adventure Dakar (Thank you Honey!)
2010 Aprilia RSV4 Factory
2010 Ducati 1198S
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 05:19 PM   #9
jonny cash
LEGEND
 
jonny cash's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: harrisburg illinois
Oddometer: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by unaweep View Post
It works. I have that setup on my 950 SE and 990 R. You just need to order a top clamp for a different bike. Paul can help you sort it.

I really like the Scotts BRP top triple and stabilizer. Emig cannot take a good beating from a crash. They twist like pretzels and cause the stablizer to self-destruct, if you're prone to get-offs.
thanks for the info!
jonny cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 08:17 PM   #10
unaweep
Uses lotsa band-aids
 
unaweep's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Western Colorado
Oddometer: 20,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
The HDB top clamp size needed for the BRP is 100X38/40MM Bolt Pattern.

The HDB top clamp size for the stock triple on the 990 is 90x38/40mm Bolt Pattern.

LOL, that is Evil....................
PERFECT!

Ta-Da!
unaweep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:02 AM   #11
xcflyn
Beastly Adventurer
 
xcflyn's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Rocky Mountains
Oddometer: 1,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
The HDB top clamp size needed for the BRP is 100X38/40MM Bolt Pattern.

The HDB top clamp size for the stock triple on the 990 is 90x38/40mm Bolt Pattern.

.
Exactly, HWD does fit the Scotts and BRP set up with the correct top clamp. I have a Scotts damper,clamp,and BRP raisers with HWD.
xcflyn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 01:35 PM   #12
Geek OP
oot & aboot
 
Geek's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: 8000ft.
Oddometer: 31,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcflyn View Post
Exactly, HWD does fit the Scotts and BRP set up with the correct top clamp. I have a Scotts damper,clamp,and BRP raisers with HWD.
HDB...




I talked with Paul today; he said its no problem to do a top clamp to work with the Emigs.

I feel kind of bad asking because he did these nice customized ones for me that I have now:


I'll probably get the new ones and they'll have @$%@#$% etched in them
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:03 PM   #13
MrSandman818
INaVANdownBYtheRIVER
 
MrSandman818's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: El Paso, Republic of Texas
Oddometer: 850
Knowing people like you makes me feel better about how much money I dump into my 9Fitty. Granted I also dump money into my 250, truck, toyhauler, and MG. So I guess were even.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
HDB...




I talked with Paul today; he said its no problem to do a top clamp to work with the Emigs.

I feel kind of bad asking because he did these nice customized ones for me that I have now:


I'll probably get the new ones and they'll have @$%@#$% etched in them
__________________
-Chrome don't getcha home, but carbon fiber sure is fancy
2005 KTM 950 Adventure - back from the dead, Was totaled.
2005 Yamaha YZ250F - low compression, because race bike
1989 Yamaha TW200 - clapped out from a tweaker
1978 Batavus 48 - back from the dead. Parked since 83'
MrSandman818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:57 PM   #14
Geek OP
oot & aboot
 
Geek's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: 8000ft.
Oddometer: 31,607
I hear you... we gotta have some sort of projects to keep us outta trouble right?

I don't want to talk about how over budget my Sprinter build is

Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 04:24 PM   #15
brents347
Trusting my Cape...
 
brents347's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Where the hell is Truckee, CA?
Oddometer: 3,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
Interesting thread because the first thing I did when I got my 990 was take it to the same twisties I use to sort out my RSV4 and 1198 for the track and there's this one really nice increasing radius blind curve at the end that once I'm pointed straight I can glance at the speedo and my other two bikes will be in the 130 to 140 range. When I rode the 990 I came out at 105 the first time and thought oh SHAT!


When I got home I looked up the offset and it's 29MM and the offset on both my 1198 and RSV4 is 28MM (With both having adjustable triple clamps).

What this told me is that out cornering the grip on the 21" front tire would be no problem (Lowside) long before anything dragged.
Since the only time my 990 will see pavement is for fuel (I live on a dirt road) out cornering the grip on Knobbies would be even easier so I just went with the BRP/Scotts damper combo.

Can't speak for the other triples but if you do upgrade with the BRP the HDB top clamp for the stock triple won't fit.
So you were disappointed that an Adv. was not cornering or accelerating out of a corner as fast as a RSV4 or an 1198? Or were you on a 990 Super Duke?
__________________
07 Yamaha R6
07 KTM 950 Super Enduro
04 KTM 250exc- plated two-stroke

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015