ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2014, 10:27 AM   #1
Somewhere Far Beyond OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
So I got these old style SW-Motech crash bars....

....but how the heck do they mount?

I've figured out the upper mount beneath the headlamp, and have a pretty good idea of how the bottom front mounts work.

Where I'm stuck is on the rear. Obviously, the long bar included is supposed to pass through the hollow swingarm mount. It has spacers included to make it work.
But the problem is, the bar does not pass all the way through the swingarm tube. Specifically, it will not pass through on the right hand side of the bike, as if the hole there is too small.

I do not know what I'm supposed to do next as I bought these secondhand, no mounting instructions and previous owner didn't know the answer to that (don't think they were on the bike when he obtained it).

Scoured the internet for pictures and data but turned up nothing.

Help?
Somewhere far beyond...
Somewhere Far Beyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 12:10 PM   #2
twistedthrottle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somewhere Far Beyond View Post
....but how the heck do they mount?

I've figured out the upper mount beneath the headlamp, and have a pretty good idea of how the bottom front mounts work.

Where I'm stuck is on the rear. Obviously, the long bar included is supposed to pass through the hollow swingarm mount. It has spacers included to make it work.
But the problem is, the bar does not pass all the way through the swingarm tube. Specifically, it will not pass through on the right hand side of the bike, as if the hole there is too small.

I do not know what I'm supposed to do next as I bought these secondhand, no mounting instructions and previous owner didn't know the answer to that (don't think they were on the bike when he obtained it).

Scoured the internet for pictures and data but turned up nothing.

Help?
I don't know which bike you're talking about but you can find the bike here:
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/shop-by-bike/
Then locate the crashbars that fit that bike. There are downloadable instructions under the tab "Instructions & Downloads". If the bars are not the same ones we are currently selling call us up and see if we can track the old instructions down for you. I suspect that the differences would be slight and the instructions should at least be close enough to give you an idea as to how they work.

Another bonus is that with the proper instructions you will have a complete parts list including SKUs for individual parts. If needed, we can source replacements for missing or banged up items. If all this response did was confuse you, just give us a call. We're the North American distributor of SW-MOTECH and all roads lead to us anyway. We don't care of you bought them second hand we're here to help. 855-255-5550

Kevin
Old 11-28-2014, 12:54 PM   #3
DirtyADV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,113
On early bikes it will pass through freely but newer models might need a little drilling is what the manual says (10mm I think but measure rod and drill as little as possible).

Have them on my 2004 950 and no drilling was needed.

/Johan

www.dirtyadv.com (under construction)
DirtyADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 02:39 PM   #4
Capt. REDBEARD
TWECO

Oddometer: 1,120
I have a pair that I am going to install. A quick look up front had me a little stumped.....

How did you mount them up under the headlight?

if the ocean were whiskey and I were a duck - I'd swim to the bottom and never come up
Capt. REDBEARD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 05:46 PM   #5
Somewhere Far Beyond OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
Thanks for the input, fellows.

I did indeed have to do a little drilling to get the bar to pass through. Only as much as was necessary. It's in there tight. I'm now doing a little shimming as fully mounted the bars contact the tanks in the lower front. I'd rather they not be touching.

Redbeard: Those flat elbow brackets mount right where the headlight bracket mounts to the frame. Line it up and you'll see. There was a picture I found yesterday that showed where they bolt up.
Somewhere far beyond...
Somewhere Far Beyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 07:13 PM   #6
Capt. REDBEARD
TWECO

Oddometer: 1,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somewhere Far Beyond View Post
Thanks for the input, fellows.

I did indeed have to do a little drilling to get the bar to pass through. Only as much as was necessary. It's in there tight. I'm now doing a little shimming as fully mounted the bars contact the tanks in the lower front. I'd rather they not be touching.

Redbeard: Those flat elbow brackets mount right where the headlight bracket mounts to the frame. Line it up and you'll see. There was a picture I found yesterday that showed where they bolt up.
Right on. Thanks

if the ocean were whiskey and I were a duck - I'd swim to the bottom and never come up
Capt. REDBEARD is online now   Reply With Quote