User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2011, 10:04 PM   #1
djkilmer OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
BMW R90/gs build

Okay folks just sold my Cagiva Gran Canyon to focus $$$$ on my R75/6 soon to be enduro. I currently have to bike disassembled. I have sourced all the body parts which are a mix of Acerbis/UFO/Baja Designs. The bike is now sporting a /5 police tank from Germany. The bike is going to become a R90 with the R90S pistons and freshly bored jugs, she fill guzzle her fuel through the mikuni flat slides I have.

Question 1. I am trying to figure out what front end to roll with, inverted or standard? Is there one pair that is easier to adapt? I want to use a complete front end, triple/forks/wheel. I understand perhaps some machining will be involved, just mainly curious about fork options, IE: XR600, Xr650L, CR450R, YZ250F? Is one inverted better than the other because of the different taper lengths where the triples ride?

Question 2. Rear swingarm. I want to use the dual shock swingarm but lengthened to match forks. I have a post 81 swingarm for better rigidity. What is a good length? 3-4 inches? I am trying to figure out a jig to secure the arm for cutting/welding but cannot seem to come up with a good plan to hold the rear of swingarm. Does anyone on here offer a service to lengthen a dual shock swingarm? Or have a picture of a jig? I can find one but its not to clear on the rear.

Thanks!
Attached Images

djkilmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:23 PM   #2
fishkens
Further...

Oddometer: 5,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by djkilmer View Post
What is a good length? 3-4 inches?
I've seen 100 and 120 mm extensions. Or something like that.

Recommend using google to search this site for many earlier threads (albeit fewer on dual sided swingarms).

e.g. google: airhead dual swingarm length site:advrider.com

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=468420

Are you in WA?
Old 01-05-2011, 02:22 AM   #3
BROTOWNBOY
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by djkilmer View Post

Question 2. Rear swingarm. I want to use the dual shock swingarm but lengthened to match forks. I have a post 81 swingarm for better rigidity. What is a good length? 3-4 inches? I am trying to figure out a jig to secure the arm for cutting/welding but cannot seem to come up with a good plan to hold the rear of swingarm. Does anyone on here offer a service to lengthen a dual shock swingarm? Or have a picture of a jig? I can find one but its not to clear on the rear.

Thanks!
checkout post no 60 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=516530
BROTOWNBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 04:39 PM   #4
djkilmer OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
yup up here in Bellingham,
I am convincing myself to use a front end off a XR650L, any one used that specific fork?
djkilmer is offline   Reply With Quote