User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2011, 10:07 AM   #1
ML WYDELL OP
NED

Oddometer: 458
Non-ethanol fuel

Check out www.pure-gas.org for a listing of service stations that sell non-ethanol fuel. I've been finding it at marina's usually in 89 octane. It is now considered " recreational fuel " for boats, 4 wheelers, etc. Supposedly regular service staions will have different colored pumps for recreational fuel.

What are some thoughts on this subject?
ML WYDELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:33 AM   #2
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,741
Ethanol is getting out of hand and it makes everything run worse/ with worse mpg. Not good for carbs either or 2 strokes. If they are going to push ethanol, they should build 100% ethanol burning engines.
Then people would be filling up jugs to take home for parties and we can't have that.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:34 AM   #3
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,300
Fill those who don't know in on why ethenol free gas is better.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:49 AM   #4
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,396
Ethanol equates the burning power of a drunkard's piss.
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:22 AM   #5
Hughlysses
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,216
There was a thread on this in "shiny things" a while back. IIRC, the website you linked uses information from people who find gas labeled "ethanol free" at their local stations and forward it to the website. This info may or may not be accurate.

At least one poster watched a truck fill the tanks at an "ethanol-free" station, and then drive ~1/2 mile down the road and fill the tanks at a non-ethanol-free station. He stopped and asked the tanker driver what the deal was, and the driver confirmed the gas in fact had ethanol in it, he had nothing to do with the labels on the station's pumps.

Another point worth making, if the 87 octane and 91 or 93 octane at the station aren't ethanol-free, the 89 octane probably isn't either. Most if not all stations blend 87 and 91/93 at the pump to make their mid-grade gas.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:32 PM   #6
assquatch20
Hoss Cat

Oddometer: 1,084
There's a local "Carr" gas station in town. I'm not sure if Carr is a big time carrier but I've never seen another one. Anyhow, I was heading home from work and decided to try their stuff and see if I could notice any improvements. They advertised as 'ethanol free' and were a few cents cheaper than any of the other stations in town.

Anyhow I filled it up and didn't notice a difference much, but I'm no expert. A few days later when I had maybe 1/3 tank left I was heading to the store when it died on me. I thought I was just out of gas, and I noticed I left the 'cock on reserve, but when I looked in the tank I had plenty.

After carb removal it seemed pretty clogged and sure enough the gas was bad enough to notice some impurities in there. A little seafoam and some fresh fuel got me going alright.

Anyhow I think ethanol free gas is great, but I worry about the people selling it. It seems maybe it's a little more likely to be dirty when it's coming from smaller, careless providers.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:23 AM   #7
ML WYDELL OP
NED

Oddometer: 458
In searching for ethanol free fuel a station owner stated that it is illegal to pump E free fuel into vehicles, must be pumped into fuel containers or directly into boats. Ridiculous.
ML WYDELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:11 PM   #8
Hughlysses
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by ML WYDELL View Post
In searching for ethanol free fuel a station owner stated that it is illegal to pump E free fuel into vehicles, must be pumped into fuel containers or directly into boats. Ridiculous.
If it's boat fuel, wouldn't that be because there's no road tax assessed on it? It may not have anything to do with the lack of ethanol content.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:17 PM   #9
tcourdin
Resident Spooner

Oddometer: 10,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by ML WYDELL View Post
I've never heard that? We have two local stations that still sell ethanol free fuel. I get a bit better mileage out of my truck with e free fuel, and all of my bikes run and start better without ethanol in them. Ethanol played havoc on my kids bikes that dont get ridden much, it really cruds the little carbs up. I dont use ethanol in any of my engines if possible.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:22 PM   #10
BMW Kurt
Taker of Pictures

Oddometer: 10,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
Fill those who don't know in on why ethenol free gas is better.
Absorbs water and fouls fuel systems.
BMW Kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:33 PM   #11
The Raven
Banned

Oddometer: 4,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Kurt View Post
Absorbs water and fouls fuel systems.
Eats rubber, and goes bad quicker
The Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 03:26 PM   #12
stainlesscycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,122
eats fiberglass. fast.
07 gasgas xc300-94 duc 900ss-86 morini camel (2)-84 IT200-83 IT175-78 guzzi lm1-77 pursang 250-76 morini 3 1/2 strada-76 frankentaco pursang 200-74 frankentaco pursang 200-74 morini 3 1/2 sport-74 mz ts250/0-74 puch 175 (3)-73 can-am 175tnt-71 guzzi frankeneldo-71 ossa Stiletto-70 frankentaco sherpa s(2)-66 morini corsarino(2)-63 morini corsaro + many more
stainlesscycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 03:34 PM   #13
Jacubird
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Ethanol isn't the problem

I just returned from two fun filled years in Brazil. Down there, all gasoline is at least 25 percent ethanol, and pure ethanol can be had at the pump. My G/S ran great on the quarter ethanol fuel with no adjustments to the bike. I get it back to the USA and it runs like shit on the local swill until the engine is completely warmed up. I blame the fuel.

YMMV
Jacubird is offline   Reply With Quote