Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2011, 08:45 AM   #16
Off Road Ryder OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdcoaster View Post
I talked to Darryl on the phone about the website problems & he's trying to get it under control. He wanted to be sure my order was correct. Seems like a standup guy.

Update to come when the lights arrive.
Thanks Thirdcoaster. I enjoyed talking with you.. You will notice a nice surprise on your invoice.
www.cyclopsadventuresports.com
1-800-624-0278
Off Road Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:16 AM   #17
Off Road Ryder OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 606XXZIP View Post
What is the wattage @ what voltage for this 900 lumen led light ? what voltage input does it create 900 lumen ?
Is there an ies file or lab report that shows it was tested in a integrating sphere (or applied test method) and produces 900 total lumen output ?
Please read a post entirely before a reply

Since you also sell lighting products you should know the rating of 900 lumen's with a p7 is theoretical. We do use the highest quality D bin emitters. Most use substandard c or b bin these are only capable of approx 700 lumen's. and most likely will really put out less.
Voltage input isn't the Q you should be asking.. amperage is..
Also a knowledge of what a d bin, c bin, etc is
As I described in the post above, On a light meter these will most likely show somewhat less. That doesn't mean they are less useful in any way..Nor does it mean we are advertising something that is not true or correct. We do have LED aux lights that put out anywhere from 900 to 20.000 true lumen's.at 90% efficiency
The Lumen game is really a joke. There is far more to a light than what the stated lumen rating may be.. Lumen ratings have nothing to do with how far a light will penetrate, what the beam pattern is or what color temp they are. I care about how well a system works on a Motorcycle.
A test in a sphere might be good for interior lighting, IMO does nothing for forward lighting systems.
I dint play that nonsense game.We state the Lumen rating as only a guide.. You might try a forum like candle power.
We have been in the lighting industry for nearly 10 years. The Top off road racers in the world use our stuff.. There is a reason for that.
I wish you luck with your lighting sales.
1-800-624-0278
Old 01-07-2011, 09:32 AM   #18
606XXZIP
NAVVET

Oddometer: 228
I was asking about the lumen rating because I have a dealer that is looking for a 900 lumen light just like the unit you sell. I don't carry anything similar to your light. I wasn't trying to put you on defensive. I am more interested in creating business relationships/partnering and if I can wholesale your product to one of my dealers than that benefits both of us.

I have 10 years UL testing experience in UL standards 1598 and the new 8750 (LED Standard).
I also have been designing lighting for 10 years working for OEM lighting manufacturers so I understand light distribution, lumen, luminaire efficacy, footcandles, beamwidth, dimming systems,....etc. When I first saw your light - I figured it had to be around 10 watts if running with a 12vdc source in order to create in the neighborhood of 900 total lumen output.

As to your thing about amperage and volts. I asked for the wattage/volts. I can calculate amperage from that using ohms law.

Good Luck !

606XXZIP screwed with this post 01-07-2011 at 09:46 AM
606XXZIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:22 AM   #19
Off Road Ryder OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 606XXZIP View Post
I was asking about the lumen rating because I have a dealer that is looking for a 900 lumen light just like the unit you sell. I don't carry anything similar to your light. I wasn't trying to put you on defensive. I am more interested in creating business relationships/partnering and if I can wholesale your product to one of my dealers than that benefits both of us.

I have 10 years UL testing experience in UL standards 1598 and the new 8750 (LED Standard).
I also have been designing lighting for 10 years working for OEM lighting manufacturers so I understand light distribution, lumen, luminaire efficacy, footcandles, beamwidth, dimming systems,....etc. When I first saw your light - I figured it had to be around 10 watts if running with a 12vdc source in order to create in the neighborhood of 900 total lumen output.

As to your thing about amperage and volts. I asked for the wattage/volts. I can calculate amperage from that using ohms law.

Good Luck !
I apologize for mistaking you for one of those other guys Ive been dealing with for a while on other forums. It has gotten very old. There are a lot of those guys out there.
Take care
Darryl
1-800-624-0278
Old 01-07-2011, 11:07 AM   #20
Off Road Ryder OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks Guys!!

The Cart issue should be working fixed, At least it looks like it so far.
Also wanted you all to know that we are throwing in an additional wire harness and helmet mount Dual lock with each light for the Moto guys.
We are also running this same special for the MTB riders.
Please contact us so we know you are an ADV member, otherwise we have no idea to send the additional harness or not.
1 800 624 0278
Pm or darryl@cyclopsmotorsports.com
Thank You
1-800-624-0278

Off Road Ryder screwed with this post 01-08-2011 at 09:12 AM
Old 01-07-2011, 11:35 AM   #21
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,980
Thanks for answering my questions about the order on the phone Darryl. Looking forward to getting the light.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:16 PM   #22
Off Road Ryder OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
Thanks for answering my questions about the order on the phone Darryl. Looking forward to getting the light.
Thank You Fullmonte.. Im sure you will enjoy it..
1-800-624-0278
Old 01-11-2011, 11:15 AM   #23
genka
SUV hater

Oddometer: 1,527
Why do these lights need a reflector? Incandescent bulbs throw light in all directions, and it need reflecting and refocusing. It looks like LEDs are unidirectional, and all beam focusing is done by built in lenses.

Форум мотоциклистов в США http://www.xytopok.net/mvnforum/listthreads?forum=31
genka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 01:14 PM   #24
Off Road Ryder OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by genka View Post
Why do these lights need a reflector? Incandescent bulbs throw light in all directions, and it need reflecting and refocusing. It looks like LEDs are unidirectional, and all beam focusing is done by built in lenses.
Getting good focus out of LEDs has been an issue.(in the past) Some use the optics as you describe,In fact most all of our other LEd offerings. This light uses an orange peel style reflector to provide a smooth beam with no real hot spots. Just different technology..
For this application,I cant say one is better than the other.
If you do want to use the light as a battery powered work/camping light or take advantage of the strobe function and only wanted a light that stays on the bike. I would point you to one of our other LED lights.
1-800-624-0278
Old 01-15-2011, 08:21 AM   #25
yosso
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 962
Just placed an order...

Had a PHP error when attempting to use Chrome and paying direct (windows xp), ended paying with paypal. Payment took...at least I received a paypal receipt via e-mail.

I used the direct link you posted at the beginning of the thread.

Hope to see the light soon. (bad pun).

M.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:43 AM   #26
TallRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,395
Not to hijack this thread but I finally tested my CLear water Krista LED lights and they throw out a bright light, and even 5000K light just as far as my HID highbeam. I now know that LED lights have arrived. I think if OEM's wanted too they could design reflectors with the nessesay cut offs to satisfy DOT regs. I cant tell you how superior my Kristas are to my 55w HID high beam. Its nuts. Im sold on LEDs now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops Motorsports View Post
Getting good focus out of LEDs has been an issue.(in the past) Some use the optics as you describe,In fact most all of our other LEd offerings. This light uses an orange peel style reflector to provide a smooth beam with no real hot spots. Just different technology..
For this application,I cant say one is better than the other.
If you do want to use the light as a battery powered work/camping light or take advantage of the strobe function and only wanted a light that stays on the bike. I would point you to one of our other LED lights.
TallRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:48 AM   #27
Off Road Ryder OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yosso View Post
Had a PHP error when attempting to use Chrome and paying direct (windows xp), ended paying with paypal. Payment took...at least I received a paypal receipt via e-mail.

I used the direct link you posted at the beginning of the thread.

Hope to see the light soon. (bad pun).

M.
Thank You!!!
1-800-624-0278
Old 01-15-2011, 10:02 AM   #28
Off Road Ryder OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallRob View Post
Not to hijack this thread but I finally tested my CLear water Krista LED lights and they throw out a bright light, and even 5000K light just as far as my HID highbeam. I now know that LED lights have arrived. I think if OEM's wanted too they could design reflectors with the nessesay cut offs to satisfy DOT regs. I cant tell you how superior my Kristas are to my 55w HID high beam. Its nuts. Im sold on LEDs now.
LEDs are the future, not just for lights on your bike, but everywhere else we use lights for as well..

I wonder if you are comparing apples to apples?..
I am not a fan of installing HIDs in stock cans, although your light appears brighter after installing the HID kit, it usually creates a scattered light effect as the halogen optics are different than a light designed for HID.You just do not get the penetration... I know alot of riders love there HID conversions, We have done many.. But for my money I would leave the stock halogen head light and use aux lighting to get what I was after.
I have yet to see an LED aux light that can out preform a purpose built
30 watt HID aux light..That being said the LEDs are far more durable.
The new LEd optics that are on some Quality LEDs do provide the penetration that used to only be available in HID.
1-800-624-0278
Old 01-15-2011, 10:22 AM   #29
TallRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,395
My halogens were piss poor even after putting phillips bulbs in. Still dim. The tiger projector housings have crappy cut offs. THe beam pattern did not change after adding HIDs......The light pattern just got brighter. WHich was a good thing.The HID high beam did go out farther than the halogen much farther that is why I was so amazed at how well the LEDs did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops Motorsports View Post
LEDs are the future, not just for lights on your bike, but everywhere else we use lights for as well. I also love the fact that I am able to dim the light to my needs.

I wonder if you are comparing apples to apples?..
I am not a fan of installing HIDs in stock cans, although your light appears brighter after installing the HID kit, it usually creates a scattered light effect as the halogen optics are different than a light designed for HID.You just do not get the penetration... I know alot of riders love there HID conversions, We have done many.. But for my money I would leave the stock halogen head light and use aux lighting to get what I was after.
I have yet to see an LED aux light that can out preform a purpose built
30 watt HID aux light..That being said the LEDs are far more durable.
The new LEd optics that are on some Quality LEDs do provide the penetration that used to only be available in HID.
TallRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:10 AM   #30
Off Road Ryder OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallRob View Post
My halogens were piss poor even after putting phillips bulbs in. Still dim. The tiger projector housings have crappy cut offs. THe beam pattern did not change after adding HIDs......The light pattern just got brighter. WHich was a good thing.The HID high beam did go out farther than the halogen much farther that is why I was so amazed at how well the LEDs did.
It is amazing how weak some bikes factory headlights are..
Im glad you saw some fair results. Usually the reflectors on some bikes that have modern shaped reflectors,(not round)show the most amount of scatter when switching the stock Halogen to HID..
There are a few other reasons we cant suggest using HID is a stock can.
But thats an entirely different can of worms..
1-800-624-0278