ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2011, 10:16 PM   #1
stepmcm OP
What now

Oddometer: 20
Question Hello New to area (Silverdale, WA) and Dual Sport riding

I just bought my first dual sport bike - a 2006 R1200GS with 15k miles on it.

I started out looking for dirt bikes for my son - but the more I read the more I wanted something like this bike. I have been riding motorcycles for ~ 26 years - all street bikes (Honda then Harley's). New to the area also. I live in Silverdale, WA. Beautiful country. Can't wait to try some fire roads.

So just wanted to say hello and looking forward to meeting up sometime for some rides. I am planning on taking some courses to be able to handle this heavy, tall bike off road.

Also, what protection is recommended to the bike before I do any off road riding? What vendor does everyone use for the crash bars? What about pegs? I just bought an Aerostich one piece. I plan of commuting some but I think this suit should be good for most of my riding needs, correct??

Thanks for the advice.

stepmcm screwed with this post 09-26-2011 at 06:36 PM
stepmcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:19 PM   #2
kaptenken
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Does your son get a bike?
kaptenken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:35 PM   #3
stepmcm OP
What now

Yes. He is 11 y/o. He will probably get a Honda 100. I am waiting for a little warmer weather - otherwise if I buy it now it will just torture him until he can ride it. Since I have to trailer his I may end up with a smaller dirt bike. But I still want to try the 1200GS on some fire trails around here.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:41 AM   #4
dillon
Low Speed, High Drag

Oddometer: 1,657
Well the GS BMW is made for truckin cross country so with some practice youll be able to crusie the fire roads no problem. As for the bike for your son, I think a 100 is a good idea. Welcome to the insanity!
Old 01-04-2011, 02:20 AM   #5
Idarider
R1200GS

Oddometer: 1,979
Fastway

I have Fastway pegs and really like them. The pivot pegs look like they might be better. Find someone who has them so you can try all of them.

My H & K crash bars have kept the bike safe when I didn't. I keep the one that was ground in half ( 50 yards of pavement) to remind me not to be stupid again. Bike was ok .
Bars kept the bike safe when I learned about riding a boxer in the woods between two stumps, luckily a little rotten stumps.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:57 AM   #6
kaptenken
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepmcm View Post
Yes. He is 11 y/o. He will probably get a Honda 100. I am waiting for a little warmer weather - otherwise if I buy it now it will just torture him until he can ride it. Since I have to trailer his I may end up with a smaller dirt bike. But I still want to try the 1200GS on some fire trails around here.
OK, Good deal, didn't want your son left out. I know this thread is about Dirt Pigs but may I suggest (for your son) the Venerable Ktm 85xc (kickstand and softer suspension) in 08 my son went thru 3 bikes and slot of dough before I bit the bullet and got him a last model yr 85xc at Lynwood Motoplex for $2900 OTD,yes you read that right,that should quiet at least half of the KTM naysayers.
So now my son has been riding this bike for two yrs and he's getting fairly tall, so for Xmas he got a set of big wheels for $400 off e-bay and they mount right up w/ no special swingarm needed ( ie Yamaha) and then next year when he runs out of power you can put on the 105cc head for $700 instead of a whole new bike!
As far as versatility goes, my son bogs thru the worst stuff at Walker v (he's 12 and has placed in some enduros there) and last yr he took the 85 beginner champ. at Hannegan speedway MX. Just a thought.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:02 AM   #7
cdriver
KATS JR

Oddometer: 166
Welcome to a great riding area

There is alot of great riding here on the Olympic Peninsula, especially for a nice GS like you have. I live in Port Orchard, ride all year, well not much this last week. There will be alot of riders in this area that will be glad to show you some of the prime routes.
cdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 05:36 PM   #8
stepmcm OP
What now

Thanks for all the advice. I just got back from Sound BMW. Looks like my initial foray into dual sport riding will be slightly expensive. The bike was just the beginning.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:54 PM   #9
GSguy
Here's a quarter.

Oddometer: 3,141
Quote:
Thanks for all the advice. I just got back from Sound BMW. Looks like my initial foray into dual sport riding will be slightly expensive. The bike was just the beginning.
No better way to spend the kids inheritance tho. Welcome to the asylum.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:35 PM   #10
wsdbikes
New Max is Mad

Oddometer: 1,281
Quote:
The GS can pull a little trailer

"I only wish I had video running when WSD did a no footed can-can over some boulders on mainline....two feet of air easy..." -Abdelhub
Yeah, on the GS http://vimeo.com/3232838

Notable Past-'01 KLR 250, 95 R1100GS, 06 KTM 950 SM, 69 Bridgestone 90
wsdbikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:39 PM   #11
kaptenken
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Bikes are the cheap part.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:36 AM   #12
stepmcm OP
What now

Yup. Bikes are the cheap part. Boys like their toys. I think my wife needs the awesome F800GS. She got a over-under shotgun for her b-day a few years back. I luv shooting it!!
Old 01-05-2011, 11:18 AM   #13
puckinet
Safety third

Oddometer: 346
Welcome aboard it's a great ride. I myself just got into the adventure riding and been doing this for only a year and think what the hell was I waiting for. You can PM later towards spring will be doing some over night trips in the GP area, your more than welcome to join. Your son will love a bike I would look at the Yamaha TTR 125 probably the best bike for a kid they are bullet proof. The group we go camping with have about 4 of them and these bike never break down just keep going love them.

08 KTM 450 EXCR
2010 BMW F800GS
Rick
puckinet is offline   Reply With Quote