Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2011, 04:25 PM   #31
brucifer OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,274
Got the first real ride in today, as well as the first crash.
My buddies DR400 was having running issues so we were just putting around a clearing. Well, I was just monkeying around in 2nd gear pulling wheelies and came down on some hard clay mud, the front end washed out to the right, as I was going down it hooked and high-sided me off the left. Well okay! Got that out of the way!
Managed to bend the bars but was able to bend them back enough to finish the ride somewhat comfortably.

Other than that little mishap, the bike performed awesome. This bike is so comfortable and the engine is so smooth and forgiving it's just an absolute joy to ride.

Here's the bikes afterward. Besides my XR--a 1980 DR400 and a 1980 XT250 (my old bike).

Old 01-09-2011, 05:10 PM   #32
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,239
Never can find one of these in my part of the world it seems...which sucks,i did see a XL250 but that`s a little small for me...

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:43 PM   #33
Ghost_Mutant
looking for bionics

Oddometer: 707
I see 2 or 3 of these for sale in my craigs searches every year for the last several years. But I am also searching neighboring states, so that is about a 300 mile radius from Denver Colorado.

None of those I've seen on craigs are as nice/original looking as Bruce's. So it looks like he got an awesome deal.

The prices I've seen always seem to start out too high, and then the ad gets reposted after the sellers figure out what it's really worth

I guess the bikes do sell eventually, since the ads stop appearing in the search results. I just checked my craigslist search and the last 81 sold here in the Denver area about a month ago. The last listed price was $500, but I'll bet it sold for less. It started out at $650.
Ghost_Mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 06:24 AM   #34
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,076
Congrats Bruce thats so awesome! enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What plans do you have for the bike?

Christian
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 06:59 AM   #35
brucifer OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsalvadorklr View Post
Congrats Bruce thats so awesome! enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What plans do you have for the bike?

Christian
Hi Christian! Thanks, man.

Well, my plan is to keep it mechanically sound, clean 'er up a bit and just ride it. I may add some performance goodies to the engine later but it runs so good now I just can't see opening it up. I'm even gonna leave the suspension and drum brakes stock.
It's really surprising just how good this bike is on tight trails and medium fast skid roads.

Also, when I'm on this bike, it takes me back to when I was 18 again. I'm still riding the same area I was back then--the terrain has changed because of the logging over the years but it's the same woods.

There's no such thing as a time machine but this is pretty darn close.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:26 AM   #36
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,076
good stuff!

yeah thats what its all about...

Im only 30 years old but anytime I "rebuild" something or build an RC airplane, or truck or something like that it takes me back to when I was a kid, 10 or so, dreaming of one day having the coolest rc model or car, or truck...

All that stuff I have in storage now in the states, I miss it!

Anywhoooo...

Progress on my end, painting hubs, headers, and got my frame back and engine, and it looks great...I ALSO have my parts on the way down, as well as all new stainless spokes front and back..$$$$

I am going to blast my rims and not paint them...there is a place that will just sandblast them for me...

Hopefully this week should be a good one for the bike and I.

Cant wait...

Cheers on the bike, and again ENJOY.

Christian
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 05:23 PM   #37
brucifer OP
Beastly Adventurer

Here's a Cycle World article on the then new 1981 XR500R.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:06 PM   #38
Ghost_Mutant
looking for bionics

Nice review article, I enjoyed reading it. Don't suppose you have one for the 83 XR500R?

Just FYI, there is a "tips & fixes" article covering the 83 XR5 and XR350 posted at 4strokes.com here:
http://www.4strokes.com/articles/honda/cwxr350_500/

I still have my 77 IT400, maybe one of these days I'll restore it and do some nostalgic rides. In the meantime I'm very glad to have the RFVC 4-stroke.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:53 PM   #39
Onederer
Crunch Nugget

Oddometer: 723
Congrats on your discovery

That article even says the bike has a cro-mo swingarm. Not space ship material, but was the majic word in bicycling for a time.

Onederer screwed with this post 01-12-2011 at 05:51 AM Reason: too spicy
Onederer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 05:31 AM   #40
brucifer OP
Beastly Adventurer

Onederer, I understand your frustration but it does no good to be bitter.
The same crap happens here too...

GM- I don't think I have an introduction article but I may have a comparison test between either the '83 or '84 RFVC XR500R and the Yamaha TT600. I'll see if I can find it.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:57 AM   #41
Onederer
Crunch Nugget

Oddometer: 723
Yeah, I took some kick out of that post.. Wasn't any need to detract from this thread.

After reading those articles, it is evident just how much the idea of what is best in the dirt bike world has changed in such a short time.

Excellent to see what some people call fun has not.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:39 PM   #42
Ghost_Mutant
looking for bionics

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucifer View Post
GM- I don't think I have an introduction article but I may have a comparison test between either the '83 or '84 RFVC XR500R and the Yamaha TT600. I'll see if I can find it.
I think I've seen that article in my web browsing, except I think it was in Spanish

If you post it, I'll read it
Old 01-17-2011, 06:07 AM   #43
brucifer OP
Beastly Adventurer

Did a little more work on it this weekend. Installed the new air filter, got the tail light mounted and working and the speedo works now. I bought a new speedo cable before I actually investigated the reason for it not working and it turned out to be a rusted/corroded up drive unit.
Pulled it apart and cleaned and lubed it; it now works great. Installed the new cable anyway.
Also checked the valves and they were spot on.

Did some cleaning on it as well. I pressure washed it with the seat and tank removed. Put it back together (after performing the work above) and started it. Sat and idled fine then died,,,as if I hit the kill switch. Tried to restart,,,nothing. Pulled everything back off to check all the electrical connectors for water or otherwise faulty connections. Put it back together and started it again. Sat and idled fine. Took it out and rode around for a bit. It ran great then missed a couple times and died again.
Checked all the connections AGAIN. All looked well. Fired it up again with the kill switch disconnected. Rode it around for a while thinking that was it then BAM. She shut off again.
This time I did nothing. Just waited a few minutes and tried again. Fired right back up.
This happened several times with it running different amounts of time. It finally ran fine until I shut it down for the last time.

I'm thinking it's that dang resister plug cap. I have no way to test it so I'm just gonna order a new one and see what happens.

GM-
I found a couple more articles--one for the '82 and one for the '83. In the '83 test, they pit your bike against the Husqvarna 500 XC and the Maico 490 Sand Spider.

My stepdad scanned the last article for me (I don't have a scanner) so I'll see if he'll do these for me as well.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:48 AM   #44
BIG ED XT FAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,192
Quote:
Did a little more work on it this weekend. Installed the new air filter, got the tail light mounted and working and the speedo works now. I bought a new speedo cable before I actually investigated the reason for it not working and it turned out to be a rusted/corroded up drive unit.
Pulled it apart and cleaned and lubed it; it now works great. Installed the new cable anyway.
Also checked the valves and they were spot on.

Did some cleaning on it as well. I pressure washed it with the seat and tank removed. Put it back together (after performing the work above) and started it. Sat and idled fine then died,,,as if I hit the kill switch. Tried to restart,,,nothing. Pulled everything back off to check all the electrical connectors for water or otherwise faulty connections. Put it back together and started it again. Sat and idled fine. Took it out and rode around for a bit. It ran great then missed a couple times and died again.
Checked all the connections AGAIN. All looked well. Fired it up again with the kill switch disconnected. Rode it around for a while thinking that was it then BAM. She shut off again.
This time I did nothing. Just waited a few minutes and tried again. Fired right back up.
This happened several times with it running different amounts of time. It finally ran fine until I shut it down for the last time.

I'm thinking it's that dang resister plug cap. I have no way to test it so I'm just gonna order a new one and see what happens.

GM-
I found a couple more articles--one for the '82 and one for the '83. In the '83 test, they pit your bike against the Husqvarna 500 XC and the Maico 490 Sand Spider.

My stepdad scanned the last article for me (I don't have a scanner) so I'll see if he'll do these for me as well.
Hi, Brucifer, I always replace the spark plug rubber on old bikes. All the years of hot and cold on the wire and running time. Hope your 500 will run great now with the new wire. Thump-On!!
BIG ED XT FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:45 AM   #45
Ghost_Mutant
looking for bionics

Quote:
GM-
Now that is an article I'd like to see. Looking forward to reading them, thanks