ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Central, Texas & Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2013, 11:11 AM   #1
Ridin'nFishin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 436
Heart of Texas Adventure Ride

Heart of Texas Adv Ride.
This is a ride where you don’t have to drive/trailer half way across Texas to start the ride. A ride where you can start at the nearest point to where you live or a meet up point for you and your riding buddies. A ride where you do not have to do the whole route if you don’t have the time nor the interest to ride the total route.
With help this route will have plenty of options for gas, food, water and places to lay you head, hotel/motel or camping. I need your help scouting, your knowledge of good places to eat, camp and motel along the route. This route will need to be modified. Go out and ride a part of the route close to you, whatever you can do in a day or two, half day, it doesn't matter. Make your notes or save your tracks and send them to me. I already have some shortcuts and bypasses to make it shorter. It is now 1996 miles long. It can be done in 1, 2, 3, 400 miles a day, whatever you want to do. This is not a race or an endurance competition! Ride your own ride, ride safe, ride another day!
If you know some roads you would like to see included, send them to me. I can see the possibilities of this ride. Maybe going up to NE Texas then over and around Dallas, connecting with other routes in different states? This can be a ride where there is help along the way if you break down, Adv Riders are all over the country.

This is everyone's Route.

Check it out and let me know, thanks.
Some of these roads are from my own tracks and plenty from others. Thanks to every one who has ridden these roads or getting ready to ride these roads.

This is the main Route split into 4 legs.

All the routes updated on: 11/9/2013. -------------This is a work in progress. Want to help?--------------

Routes will always be in this post and the next.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Hot Outer 4 routes.gpx (1.66 MB, 366 views)

Ridin'nFishin screwed with this post 11-10-2013 at 10:16 AM
Ridin'nFishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 11:12 AM   #2
Ridin'nFishin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

5 Routes. Inner loop and bypasses.

Heart of Texas Inner Loop 1163 miles
Doss to Comfort 54 miles
Brenham to Loco Coyote BBQ Bypass 305 miles
Corsicana to San Saba Bypass 267 miles
Rusk to Carter's 103 miles
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Hot Inner 5 routes.gpx (1.47 MB, 193 views)

Ridin'nFishin screwed with this post 11-09-2013 at 12:39 PM
Old 11-10-2013, 05:49 AM   #3
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,772
Thanks for sharing!

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:33 AM   #4
Ridin'nFishin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

This is a work in progress and I have included these portions of the routes that need to be scouted and verified.

If you can scout some of these areas, that would be great.

I will keep this post up to date.

Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: gpx NTBScouted.gpx (977.7 KB, 109 views)
Old 02-10-2014, 10:24 AM   #5
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,773
Inquiring mind wants to know

thanks so much for these routes---am heading down that way very soon and will load all this into my gps with other stuff I have which will leave me with lots of options.

One question---------you never said at all what kind of routes these are.

But just wanted to know if these are routes where you mostly tried to stay off the pavement---------------or all on the pavement ????

Edit---google earthed it---------looks offroad to me !!!!!

I notice your route goes across that swinging bridge---I marked that waypoint years ago---so this year I get to go over it---yeeeeeehaw.
Awesome.

And-----is there a ride report somewhere to see some of this great riding ????

thanks
BigDog
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.

BigDogAdventures screwed with this post 02-10-2014 at 11:14 AM
BigDogAdventures is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:04 PM   #6
Ridin'nFishin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hey Mark,

Thanks for inquiring about the routes. I have been working on them off and on for a while now.

Lets see if I can answer your question. No single track here for sure. Lots of pavement. I tried to stay on back roads as much as possible, gravel, sand and dirt roads. Some deep sand in East Texas depending on rain or not, if it is wet there can be some slick and sticky mud in places. A lot of the paved roads in the western parts are great roads, some single lane and two lane rough paved roads.

I think that any size adventure bike will do the job, big bike friendly, yes. If I were heading out on it today, I would probably take my 1100GS, I do think my KLR650 or DR650 would do the job very well also. I know you have the little battle warrior (WR250R) that would do the job also. I don't think a plated dirt bike would be my choice, but hell, run what ya brung.

Anymore questions, just ask.
What bike do you plan on riding down here?
Old 02-10-2014, 01:08 PM   #7
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin'nFishin View Post
Hey Mark,

Thanks for inquiring about the routes. I have been working on them off and on for a while now.

Lets see if I can answer your question. No single track here for sure. Lots of pavement. I tried to stay on back roads as much as possible, gravel, sand and dirt roads. Some deep sand in East Texas depending on rain or not, if it is wet there can be some slick and sticky mud in places. A lot of the paved roads in the western parts are great roads, some single lane and two lane rough paved roads.

I think that any size adventure bike will do the job, big bike friendly, yes. If I were heading out on it today, I would probably take my 1100GS, I do think my KLR650 or DR650 would do the job very well also. I know you have the little battle warrior (WR250R) that would do the job also. I don't think a plated dirt bike would be my choice, but hell, run what ya brung.

Anymore questions, just ask.
What bike do you plan on riding down here?
I'm bringing my Husqvarna TR650Terra.
I know I look grouchy in this photo---but I assure you I'm not.
From what you said--looks like the best bike I have for the ride down there.
Right now where this picture was taken is 8" of snow---and a road that is solid ice.

No dirt bike that's for sure---but not near as heavy as the big adventure bikes. After putting about 10,000 miles on it ----it excels at "easy" offroad and road. I just did install 9 gallon Safari tanks on it and this will be it's first outing with these tanks on a long ride. I plan on being down there about 3 weeks and will haul it down South out of the frigid temps here in Southern Illinois------unload the bike------do my ride and then return to the truck. I think better weather down Texas way is in the very near future.

I think I'll be alone--working on a couple riding partners but nothing has happened yet.
I'll definitely work in some of your route---I've worked on that already and turned your routes into tracks. But won't go East much and will end up in BigBend---then maybe on up into New Mexico to run the "RimRoad" if weather allows.
I replaced my KTM950 with this bike.

May try the James River Crossing---but am nervous about being out there by myself---I've seen many a rider go down on that crossing.
I"ve got a long list of places I'll go to---to long to post here---but one town I want to hang out in for a bit----is Marfa, Texas.
May sound Stupid-----but the least populated county in the U.S. is in Texas---may go there--shut off my bike---and just listen.

Can't wait to get out of the deep-freeze.

Again--thanks for everything !!!!

Mark
KTM 690 Enduro 2014

BigDogAdventures screwed with this post 02-10-2014 at 01:24 PM
Old 02-10-2014, 01:51 PM   #8
Ridin'nFishin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The Tr650 will be great and will have a blast.

Marfa is a cool little town with some good place to eat and stay. Ride out and see the lights.

James River Crossing, IMHO. By pass it, it isn't worth it to me. I have been across it on my KLR, made it without falling and will not do it again. I have no interest in ruining my day with a flooded bike, getting wet in the winter when the water is cold. Not my kind of fun.

Can you send me your tracks you made so I can check them out? I very much like to have your tracks after your ride. I have tons of my own tracks in the TX Hill Country, I live in San Antonio. PM your way with email.

Thanks
Old 02-10-2014, 02:02 PM   #9
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin'nFishin View Post

James River Crossing, IMHO. By pass it, it isn't worth it to me. s
The last thing I want to do is fill my motor full of water---the very last.
It was OK with a 1982 XR200---filled it full the day I bought it----but not with my big fuel injected bike.
thanks for your opinion

BigDog
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
Old 04-03-2014, 11:49 AM   #10
ajayhawkfan
Rock Chalk

Oddometer: 4,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures View Post
The last thing I want to do is fill my motor full of water---the very last.
It was OK with a 1982 XR200---filled it full the day I bought it----but not with my big fuel injected bike.
thanks for your opinion

BigDog
3 of us just got back from a 5 day loop through the Hill Country, mostly on gravel.

We did the James River Crossing. I was first (because I was leading and made it across on my 2011 Texas ride) on my 1200 GSA and made it about 20% across and down I went. I got off the crossing and finished in the creek gravel:

Dirtfarmer slowly paddled his way through next.

2Whelman was next on the new watercooled GS. He did not make it far and down he went (3 times).

PS. The blue bonnets were just starting to bloom while there:

Texas Hill Country Badlands and Black Hills Riding the T.W.A.T Photos

ajayhawkfan screwed with this post 04-03-2014 at 11:55 AM
ajayhawkfan is offline   Reply With Quote