ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-22-2011, 03:27 PM   #151
CramerTV OP
Still eating dust
 
CramerTV's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Irvine, CA
Oddometer: 200
Roger that. I'll leave early to have time to make that long drive out the dirt road in my minivan :)
__________________


My efforts at desert racing
CramerTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 04:38 PM   #152
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target
 
eatpasta's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Santa Barbara, Ca
Oddometer: 10,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by CramerTV View Post
Roger that. I'll leave early to have time to make that long drive out the dirt road in my minivan :)
we'll keep an eye out for ya

__________________
We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.
T. S. Eliot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:38 AM   #153
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target
 
eatpasta's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Santa Barbara, Ca
Oddometer: 10,062
Bring a jacket this weekend.... looks like the low is going to hit 20.

Which means anything more than 10 degrees below zero and my wife wont camp in a tent with a hole in it....

so it looks like we are going to leave on sunday morning with some chains and hope that the 15 isnt closed
__________________
We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.
T. S. Eliot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:48 AM   #154
MotoMike
Washed Up Desert Racer
 
MotoMike's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: The Black Palm Springs
Oddometer: 4,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post
Bring a jacket this weekend.... looks like the low is going to hit 20.

Which means anything more than 10 degrees below zero and my wife wont camp in a tent with a hole in it....

so it looks like we are going to leave on sunday morning with some chains and hope that the 15 isnt closed
I know it's a bit longer for you, but you can take the 14, and if Pearblossom is a mess you can go through El Mirage and Apple Valley.
__________________
Lost Coyotes MC
MotoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:10 AM   #155
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target
 
eatpasta's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Santa Barbara, Ca
Oddometer: 10,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMike View Post
I know it's a bit longer for you, but you can take the 14, and if Pearblossom is a mess you can go through El Mirage and Apple Valley.
i went and bought chains today.... just in case the 15 is all snowed out. as long as they dont close it..... its all good. but I can say almost certainly we arent coming out on saturday
__________________
We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.
T. S. Eliot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:28 AM   #156
MotoMike
Washed Up Desert Racer
 
MotoMike's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: The Black Palm Springs
Oddometer: 4,968
Brrrr.....
__________________
Lost Coyotes MC
MotoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:37 PM   #157
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target
 
eatpasta's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Santa Barbara, Ca
Oddometer: 10,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMike View Post
Brrrr.....
word on the street is that they are closing the 15 tonight for awhile..... I hope it all clears up by sunday morning because im going to be rambling through there VERY early.... hopefully before 5.

Going to be an EPIC RACE

__________________
We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.
T. S. Eliot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 04:56 PM   #158
Motodisiac
Moto Terrorist
 
Motodisiac's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: City Of Angels
Oddometer: 3,489
I'm quietly trying to make is as well.

There are few problems: the bike is still in pieces, both case covers and balancer shaft removed, no suspension. I applied for District 37 membership exactly two weeks ago but still haven't received anything. Still have to take apart the rear chassis and grease everything.

Good: I just picked up my re valved and serviced suspension. There is no better way to test it but to enter my first ever off road race :) I already greased and assembled headstock bearings.

I think there is 50/50 chance for me. I keep hearing about rough Bessemer road, how long will it take to get to the staging area once I get off the hwy? I will be heading out in the morning.

Eatpasta, when you say "epic" is it good or bad?

Oh, one more thing: I have never been to the desert. Good
__________________
Beach Moto - my baby and your connection for quality motorcycle gear
Rev'it Gear for ADV Riders - the thread that started it all

Ducati Multistrada 1200 S - Adventure, Commuting, Track, Fun
CRF450X - Dirt Toy
Motodisiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 06:17 PM   #159
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes
 
wrk2surf's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
Oddometer: 6,218
way to go Moto!! dont be a no show.. even if it is a little bad... what are you gonna tell the grandkids.. well I thought about going but the weather was bad..
__________________
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:24 PM   #160
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target
 
eatpasta's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Santa Barbara, Ca
Oddometer: 10,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motodisiac View Post

Eatpasta, when you say "epic" is it good or bad?
dust is the #1 thing I hate about these races....with this much water not only is there going to be no dust - there is going to be GREAT grip.

the only bad thing is you're going to get pretty dammed muddy.... but so what? its going to be a blast. plus how many time will you ever get to race in the snow?!?
__________________
We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.
T. S. Eliot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 09:40 PM   #161
Motodisiac
Moto Terrorist
 
Motodisiac's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: City Of Angels
Oddometer: 3,489
Its happening. Just finished putting my bike together, all ready to go. Leaving at 5am. Wish me luck :)
__________________
Beach Moto - my baby and your connection for quality motorcycle gear
Rev'it Gear for ADV Riders - the thread that started it all

Ducati Multistrada 1200 S - Adventure, Commuting, Track, Fun
CRF450X - Dirt Toy
Motodisiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 10:14 PM   #162
CramerTV OP
Still eating dust
 
CramerTV's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Irvine, CA
Oddometer: 200
Awesome! I'm in Victorville tonight so I won't have such a long drive in the morning. My number is 0350 on a ktm so look for me on the beginner line.
__________________


My efforts at desert racing
CramerTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 06:48 PM   #163
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target
 
eatpasta's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Santa Barbara, Ca
Oddometer: 10,062
was awesome to meet you finally!



i was tired of being stuck behind you on the three hour drive in the dirt





anyways..... cant wait to hear how you placed!!
__________________
We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.
T. S. Eliot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 01:45 PM   #164
Motodisiac
Moto Terrorist
 
Motodisiac's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: City Of Angels
Oddometer: 3,489


I was a strange experience. Can't wait to do next race :)

I briefly talked to CramerTV at the start line (you also parked next to my VW van at the signup I think) and it turns out Eatpasta was trying to catch me at the finish line. I kept looking back thinking that there is no way I will let this guy pass me

I think I was one of last people to leave the starting line, my bike didn't start right away and I had to put it in neutral. After the bomb run it felt like casual trail ride until I came to realization that I'm in a race and I can go a lot faster than folks in front of me.

I started passing people one by one. It was fun with a couple of o shit moments (mostly caused by me not being used to reading signs). After passing perhaps 30 or 40 people I came upon this hill. It was pretty much the only hill climb of loop 1. And it killed me.

I didn't make it on 1st attempt, and it took me at least 15 minutes to conquer it. I just approached it wrong, giving it too much gas and losing momentum every time an odd rock would kick my bike sideways. I lost track of how many times I have tried it only to end up sideways picking up the bike. After taking a moment to regroup myself, I just rode up in 2nd gear barely using the throttle, and it worked.

After that, it was pretty much over for me. I just rode steady as I didn't know how much strength I had left. Last stretch of the desert really kicked my ass, it was wide open wooped up surface and I didn't like it too much. I'm really bummed that I finished much lower than I could have, but at the same time I was happy to be back in one piece.

Looking forward to next race at the end of March, I know what to expect now
__________________
Beach Moto - my baby and your connection for quality motorcycle gear
Rev'it Gear for ADV Riders - the thread that started it all

Ducati Multistrada 1200 S - Adventure, Commuting, Track, Fun
CRF450X - Dirt Toy
Motodisiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 02:06 PM   #165
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target
 
eatpasta's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Santa Barbara, Ca
Oddometer: 10,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motodisiac View Post


I was a strange experience. Can't wait to do next race :)

I briefly talked to CramerTV at the start line (you also parked next to my VW van at the signup I think) and it turns out Eatpasta was trying to catch me at the finish line. I kept looking back thinking that there is no way I will let this guy pass me

I think I was one of last people to leave the starting line, my bike didn't start right away and I had to put it in neutral. After the bomb run it felt like casual trail ride until I came to realization that I'm in a race and I can go a lot faster than folks in front of me.

I started passing people one by one. It was fun with a couple of o shit moments (mostly caused by me not being used to reading signs). After passing perhaps 30 or 40 people I came upon this hill. It was pretty much the only hill climb of loop 1. And it killed me.

I didn't make it on 1st attempt, and it took me at least 15 minutes to conquer it. I just approached it wrong, giving it too much gas and losing momentum every time an odd rock would kick my bike sideways. I lost track of how many times I have tried it only to end up sideways picking up the bike. After taking a moment to regroup myself, I just rode up in 2nd gear barely using the throttle, and it worked.

After that, it was pretty much over for me. I just rode steady as I didn't know how much strength I had left. Last stretch of the desert really kicked my ass, it was wide open wooped up surface and I didn't like it too much. I'm really bummed that I finished much lower than I could have, but at the same time I was happy to be back in one piece.

Looking forward to next race at the end of March, I know what to expect now
so glad you posted! I was going to be bummed if not finding out who I was chasing....

Sounds like you and I had very similar races but just on different ends. I did manage that hillclimb first go even with a bunch of people stuck on it. More throttle always helps!



again, teh 650R is great for a few things and having some extra weight a power REALLY helps in times like those.

I was reeling you in for seriously 25 minutes. I saw you from way off and I was trying to go as fast as I could in the flat areas to make up time. You were really moving for someone that was totally exhausted!



lookin forward to the next one!!
__________________
We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.
T. S. Eliot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014