Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2011, 03:27 PM   #151
CramerTV OP
Still eating dust

Oddometer: 200
Roger that. I'll leave early to have time to make that long drive out the dirt road in my minivan :)

My efforts at desert racing
CramerTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 04:38 PM   #152
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by CramerTV View Post
Roger that. I'll leave early to have time to make that long drive out the dirt road in my minivan :)
we'll keep an eye out for ya

Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:38 AM   #153
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Bring a jacket this weekend.... looks like the low is going to hit 20.

Which means anything more than 10 degrees below zero and my wife wont camp in a tent with a hole in it....

so it looks like we are going to leave on sunday morning with some chains and hope that the 15 isnt closed
Quote:
Old 02-24-2011, 07:48 AM   #154
MotoMike
Washed Up Desert Racer

Oddometer: 4,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post
Bring a jacket this weekend.... looks like the low is going to hit 20.

Which means anything more than 10 degrees below zero and my wife wont camp in a tent with a hole in it....

so it looks like we are going to leave on sunday morning with some chains and hope that the 15 isnt closed
I know it's a bit longer for you, but you can take the 14, and if Pearblossom is a mess you can go through El Mirage and Apple Valley.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:10 AM   #155
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMike View Post
I know it's a bit longer for you, but you can take the 14, and if Pearblossom is a mess you can go through El Mirage and Apple Valley.
i went and bought chains today.... just in case the 15 is all snowed out. as long as they dont close it..... its all good. but I can say almost certainly we arent coming out on saturday
Quote:
Old 02-25-2011, 09:28 AM   #156
MotoMike
Washed Up Desert Racer

Oddometer: 4,968
Brrrr.....
Old 02-25-2011, 02:37 PM   #157
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMike View Post
Brrrr.....
word on the street is that they are closing the 15 tonight for awhile..... I hope it all clears up by sunday morning because im going to be rambling through there VERY early.... hopefully before 5.

Going to be an EPIC RACE

Quote:
Old 02-25-2011, 04:56 PM   #158
Motodisiac
Moto Terrorist

Oddometer: 3,489
I'm quietly trying to make is as well.

There are few problems: the bike is still in pieces, both case covers and balancer shaft removed, no suspension. I applied for District 37 membership exactly two weeks ago but still haven't received anything. Still have to take apart the rear chassis and grease everything.

Good: I just picked up my re valved and serviced suspension. There is no better way to test it but to enter my first ever off road race :) I already greased and assembled headstock bearings.

I think there is 50/50 chance for me. I keep hearing about rough Bessemer road, how long will it take to get to the staging area once I get off the hwy? I will be heading out in the morning.

Eatpasta, when you say "epic" is it good or bad?

Oh, one more thing: I have never been to the desert. Good

Ducati Multistrada 1200 S - Adventure, Commuting, Track, Fun
CRF450X - Dirt Toy
Motodisiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 06:17 PM   #159
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,218
way to go Moto!! dont be a no show.. even if it is a little bad... what are you gonna tell the grandkids.. well I thought about going but the weather was bad..
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:24 PM   #160
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motodisiac View Post

Eatpasta, when you say "epic" is it good or bad?
dust is the #1 thing I hate about these races....with this much water not only is there going to be no dust - there is going to be GREAT grip.

the only bad thing is you're going to get pretty dammed muddy.... but so what? its going to be a blast. plus how many time will you ever get to race in the snow?!?
Quote:
Old 02-26-2011, 09:40 PM   #161
Motodisiac
Moto Terrorist

Its happening. Just finished putting my bike together, all ready to go. Leaving at 5am. Wish me luck :)

CRF450X - Dirt Toy
Old 02-26-2011, 10:14 PM   #162
CramerTV OP
Still eating dust

Oddometer: 200
Awesome! I'm in Victorville tonight so I won't have such a long drive in the morning. My number is 0350 on a ktm so look for me on the beginner line.

My efforts at desert racing
CramerTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 06:48 PM   #163
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

was awesome to meet you finally!

i was tired of being stuck behind you on the three hour drive in the dirt

anyways..... cant wait to hear how you placed!!
Quote:
Old 02-28-2011, 01:45 PM   #164
Motodisiac
Moto Terrorist

I was a strange experience. Can't wait to do next race :)

I briefly talked to CramerTV at the start line (you also parked next to my VW van at the signup I think) and it turns out Eatpasta was trying to catch me at the finish line. I kept looking back thinking that there is no way I will let this guy pass me

I think I was one of last people to leave the starting line, my bike didn't start right away and I had to put it in neutral. After the bomb run it felt like casual trail ride until I came to realization that I'm in a race and I can go a lot faster than folks in front of me.

I started passing people one by one. It was fun with a couple of o shit moments (mostly caused by me not being used to reading signs). After passing perhaps 30 or 40 people I came upon this hill. It was pretty much the only hill climb of loop 1. And it killed me.

I didn't make it on 1st attempt, and it took me at least 15 minutes to conquer it. I just approached it wrong, giving it too much gas and losing momentum every time an odd rock would kick my bike sideways. I lost track of how many times I have tried it only to end up sideways picking up the bike. After taking a moment to regroup myself, I just rode up in 2nd gear barely using the throttle, and it worked.

After that, it was pretty much over for me. I just rode steady as I didn't know how much strength I had left. Last stretch of the desert really kicked my ass, it was wide open wooped up surface and I didn't like it too much. I'm really bummed that I finished much lower than I could have, but at the same time I was happy to be back in one piece.

Looking forward to next race at the end of March, I know what to expect now

CRF450X - Dirt Toy
Old 02-28-2011, 02:06 PM   #165
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motodisiac View Post

I was a strange experience. Can't wait to do next race :)

I briefly talked to CramerTV at the start line (you also parked next to my VW van at the signup I think) and it turns out Eatpasta was trying to catch me at the finish line. I kept looking back thinking that there is no way I will let this guy pass me

I think I was one of last people to leave the starting line, my bike didn't start right away and I had to put it in neutral. After the bomb run it felt like casual trail ride until I came to realization that I'm in a race and I can go a lot faster than folks in front of me.

I started passing people one by one. It was fun with a couple of o shit moments (mostly caused by me not being used to reading signs). After passing perhaps 30 or 40 people I came upon this hill. It was pretty much the only hill climb of loop 1. And it killed me.

I didn't make it on 1st attempt, and it took me at least 15 minutes to conquer it. I just approached it wrong, giving it too much gas and losing momentum every time an odd rock would kick my bike sideways. I lost track of how many times I have tried it only to end up sideways picking up the bike. After taking a moment to regroup myself, I just rode up in 2nd gear barely using the throttle, and it worked.

After that, it was pretty much over for me. I just rode steady as I didn't know how much strength I had left. Last stretch of the desert really kicked my ass, it was wide open wooped up surface and I didn't like it too much. I'm really bummed that I finished much lower than I could have, but at the same time I was happy to be back in one piece.

Looking forward to next race at the end of March, I know what to expect now
so glad you posted! I was going to be bummed if not finding out who I was chasing....

Sounds like you and I had very similar races but just on different ends. I did manage that hillclimb first go even with a bunch of people stuck on it. More throttle always helps!

again, teh 650R is great for a few things and having some extra weight a power REALLY helps in times like those.

I was reeling you in for seriously 25 minutes. I saw you from way off and I was trying to go as fast as I could in the flat areas to make up time. You were really moving for someone that was totally exhausted!

lookin forward to the next one!!
Quote: