User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2012, 06:48 PM   #241
Wyobrew
Missed it by that mu

Oddometer: 463
race comments

Good or bad, we gots to have some input on your race...
Wyobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:31 PM   #242
Luke
GPoET&P

Oddometer: 4,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyobrew View Post
Good or bad, we gots to have some input on your race...
He updated the wrong thread. Check out eatpasta's for a teaser. But yeah, this thread needs the full story.
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:28 AM   #243
MotoMike
Washed Up Desert Racer

Oddometer: 4,971
He might be to sore to type at the moment.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:47 PM   #244
Luke
GPoET&P

Oddometer: 4,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMike View Post
He might be to sore to type at the moment.

Yeah, it looks like a pretty painful weekend all around.
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:47 PM   #245
CramerTV OP
Still eating dust

Oddometer: 200
Checkers

Hi guys,

It's good to see a couple of people watching for the other middle aged noob's progress.

Left around 5:30 heading to a place I hadn't been before. I knew how to get close and by the time I got there I was able to follow a couple of ladies in their Grand Cherokee (W3 I think). The dirt road heading out to the start was quite nice compared to Bessemer Mine Rd. We were flowing along doing about 45 - they in the Jeep and me in the Toyota minivan.

I parked next to Rescue 3 - just in case (forewarning perhaps?). Unloaded, got dressed and lined up. It was a long line.

Saddled up and headed to the starting line for my first 'start by class' event. Guest pitted with United MC - didn't get to talk much but they were nice enough folks.

I rode up along the line trying to figure out where I would be - near the quads I was sure. Finally saw the stakes on the other side of the formation and found my line - one guy. I pulled up next to him and started talking. Ben was his name, this was his first race, 46 years old (like me), 2 kids (like me). Said a couple of friends had finally coaxed him to come out (sucker!). They were up ahead in the Intermediate line - both Magnum class.

I was *not* going to get out there and be drained of energy 10 miles in like last time so I took part of Mike's ritual and had a 5 hour energy shot and two pop tarts. Well, about one and a half as my new friend or 'guy I have to beat' took my offer of a half of one. Fortunately I did not toss my tarts as Pasta said he might if he tried that routine.

We finally got close to the line and they ended up combining 3 or 4 of the bike rows into one since there were so few of us - one little guy on an 85 was with us (and I'm sure he beat me too!)

The little 350 was warmed up, my bladder was voided, the tarts were sitting in my belly waiting to be turned into glucose and the yellow flag waved. I always seem to get a good start and I only saw two guys in my peripheral vision as we got moving (video to come). I got up to about 3rd gear and that was enough for my limited skills. As the other riders kept increasing their speed the dust I was eating got thicker so I moved a little left to stay in the clean air.

I figured everybody on my line had passed so I settled in behind the dust trails and forged ahead - except that I could not find any ribbon. After a mile or so I was going pretty slow thinking someone had headed off in the wrong direction and everyone else just kept following the dust. Pretty soon quads were flying by me sending up lots more dust so I just kept going hoping we were heading in the right direction.

I finally found some ribbon which made me feel a little more comfortable. By this time all the quads had passed me so I was again in clear air. Fairly soon I saw a couple of riders on the side of the trail and another stopped at the crest of a hill. As I got closer I could see there was another hill with a LOT of dust and quite a few riders strewn across it. Another one of those comical moments in motorcycle racing. One fellow took off to the left side and as I surveyed the routes I followed. I found my line and took it - winding up back on track near the top. At the top was the split for each of the 3 loops.

This race was set up so that the 'black' numbers ran all 3 loops - the twist was that they could do them in any order. Since I hadn't gotten my black numbers yet I ran my red ones (as a beginner) and only did the first loop.

I took off down the single track for the first loop with no dust in front of me.

It was a nice little trail ride for a while, then people started passing me. I have no idea if they were people who I had passed when they were stuck on the hill or if they were the expert lines that had started 30 or 40 minutes before me and had taken one of the other loops first.

Either way, I had my fair share of moving out of the way for faster riders that there was no way I was going to be able to keep up with.

The first 20 miles were quite spectacular. There was all of the desert terrain I had ridden before - except volcanic rock which I hate - it was a really, really nice layout. Then I started getting tired - oh - and about this time I also started thinking how great it was that I hadn't crashed at all.

We started heading across a never ending valley of easy terrain with a little single track thrown in. To me it wasn't as exciting and varied as the first half of the race so I just kept plugging along keeping neduro's Dakar slogan in my mind - meter by meter gets me closer to the end. My hands started cramping up so I pulled off to the side on one hill. Back down into another valley we started hitting some silt - not a big deal but I was a little nervous about getting crossed up in a rut.

I kept plugging away - meter by meter - thinking every once in a while how great it was to not have crashed and that I might make it all the way without going down. Of course then came the first get off. A little silt, a narrow dried up stream followed by another batch of silt and down I went. I felt my right thigh catch on the throttle grip as the bike slid on its left side. When we stopped everything was fine - the thigh was ok although my right thumb was a little sore.

I was really tired, my back was hurting and I wasn't sure if I could pick up my bike - I was really glad I hadn't gotten my black numbers at this point. A couple of riders came by and I gave them the thumbs up and finally got back on the bike. Another couple hundred yards and I came up to a checkpoint where they guy told me a girl had just come through and how could I let that happen? I told him I liked it when the girl was in the front.

The fast riders were still coming up and passing me so I rode a little off ribbon (and up wind) to give them plenty of room. We got to some single track and I saw a sign saying loop 3 was merging in. I was still pretty tired and the cramped hands were also still with me. I saw a girl stopped on the trail and a couple of people standing off to the side - no one was down so I went around the girl, hit a couple of rocks/bumps and then started down a short, steep bank into a ravine. I was a little off balance and went *just* right of the trail, hit the bottom and went over the handlebars. I felt my right foot get bent the wrong way - toes up. I'm guessing I had my toes pointing into the dirt with my heel up and the bike fell on it. Yeah - that hurt. I immediately wondered if it was broken. I got up and was able to stand on it without too much pain. Several riders came by and I gave them the thumbs up - I wasn't ready to ask for help yet.

I got the bike upright and rode the wrong way down the ravine hoping to get back on the trail and finish. I couldn't get back on the trail so I went back up the ravine to where I went down and was able to get up the hill and head towards home.

I was riding really slow, sitting down since the trail was easy - a couple of easy hills then all nice, easy, firm sand and scrub brush to the finish.

I got my helmet scanned, picked up my finisher's 'board' (which was very difficult to ride with) and checked in with United - using my left foot to stand on while stopped. I headed back to the minivan and with a little difficulty dressed, loaded bike and drove straight to the ER where they confirmed it was not broken and gave me crutches and a script for vicodin.

I'll have some video highlights up next week. My mom, wife, kids and I are heading to the Grand Canyon tomorrow.

Oh, yeah - somehow, I finished 40 minutes ahead of pie plater Ben. I hope he didn't take a digger too.

My efforts at desert racing
CramerTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:40 AM   #246
Wyobrew
Missed it by that mu

Oddometer: 463
Great report!

Thanks for the detailed report! It is good to see you out racing again. I think the 350 was a great choice.

Props to you for sticking with it. I look forward to your video when you get back from the Canyon. One of these days we will get to ride together again.

Doug
Wyobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:03 AM   #247
MotoMike
Washed Up Desert Racer

Oddometer: 4,971
Cool, I think the pop tarts are key.

Sorry to hear about the foot, hope you weren't planning on hiking to the bottom of the canyon.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:34 AM   #248
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,078
sounds like it was a tough day out there for the noobs!

but hey! You finished! Thats what matters
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote