ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2011, 05:15 PM   #16
Carl
,,,
 
Carl's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2001
Location: South Tejas
Oddometer: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecycledRS View Post
Very nice work!
Its called an R50S but the bore and stroke work out to 896cc. If true I think he may well get much more than 70 hp.
I must be missing where the bore and stroke increase on that engine is 896cc. From the pics it does not seem like the geometry and positional placement of the cylinder to engine case interface has been modified to have an increased bore to make it just south of a liter engine.

The site has this: Bohrung 70mm Hub 64mm 500ccm. Visually the pistons look like a large bore and w/ a shorter stroke. So is it a 1/2 liter or 1 liter engine? Time for an e-mail to the builder.

Carl
__________________
http://www.flyingtpot.com/

Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 05:42 PM   #17
RecycledRS
Along for the ride
 
RecycledRS's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Vancouver Island
Oddometer: 1,039
Using the translator built in to Firefox, the first page of the site lists the bore as 64mm and stroke as 70mm (64*700= 448cc per side). Maybe something lost in the translation? Bill.
__________________
_____________________________________
"There's a fine line between a shearing and a skinning"
RecycledRS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:51 PM   #18
bmwrench
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Oddometer: 2,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houseoffubar View Post
How do you install the roller bearing crankshaft into the case with the rods already installed?
That's how "/2" engines are assembled. The crank and rods go into the crankshaft tunnel, then the assembly gets rotated onto its back, then finally goes vertical to drop through the rear bearing counter bore. Just to add pleasure to the job, the case has to be hot enough for the rear bearing to drop in.
bmwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 03:09 AM   #19
Houseoffubar
fine beer sampler
 
Houseoffubar's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Bothell, Washington
Oddometer: 1,767
Thanks Wrench! I could not see how they would fit. I've never seen a /2 motor up close, I will need to fix that!
__________________
1978 R100/7 Build thread 1915 Boardtrack racer replica (Electric Powered) Lots of bicycles
Hemp: The strongest natural fiber in the world, and the most nutritious plant on earth.....why is this illegal again?
Houseoffubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 06:15 AM   #20
O.C.F.RIDER
Loose nut behind h/bars
 
O.C.F.RIDER's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Hewitt,New Jerseystan, OBAMANATION
Oddometer: 4,877
I'll tell ya what's wrong with those pictures.............
they weren't taken in MY garage!

That thing is sweet.
__________________
http://www.theshining.info/
KTM 950 Adv. "S"...'06 KTM 525 EXC...
'76 MV Agusta 750 America S...'84 Honda VF1000...
'75 Kawi 900 Z1...'90 Kawi ZX11...'03 Kawi ZRX 1200...'01 VOR 400E
O.C.F.RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:21 AM   #21
ericrat
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Oddometer: 1,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecycledRS View Post
Using the translator built in to Firefox, the first page of the site lists the bore as 64mm and stroke as 70mm (64*700= 448cc per side). Maybe something lost in the translation? Bill.
You forgot to use the radius (as opposed to the diameter) in your calculation. Actually that is a little under stock. Reference here, http://w6rec.com/duane/bmw/engine.htm. Let me google that, http://lmgtfy.com/?q=(64%2F2)+squared+*+pi+*+70+*+2. Come out to about 450cc total. I wonder if there is a 450cc class, or if that is from using a stock piston from a modern bike? Piston sure doesn't look stock.

A wonderful bit of work. I am in awe. Do you think that is a whole custom head casting? I have had dreams of boring a four inch whole through the middle of an R50 head, shrinking in a big piece of billet and starting over. These thing keep we awake at night. Somehow, I don't think I would get this through tech as a "vintage modification".

Thanks for posting!
ericrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:04 AM   #22
Detroit Steve
Homely Adventurer
 
Detroit Steve's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Further...
Oddometer: 492
maybe the undersize thing is for racing class rules to make up for the unfair advantage of the 4valve heads.
__________________
When you create with your brain, it is work
When you create with your heart, it is craft
When you create with your soul, it is art

Detroit Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:14 AM   #23
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy
 
crazydrummerdude's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: St Louis, MO
Oddometer: 7,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericrat View Post
Do you think that is a whole custom head casting? I have had dreams of boring a four inch whole through the middle of an R50 head, shrinking in a big piece of billet and starting over.
A local aluminum foundry would probably love to have the business. There's one in St Louis that will cast anything you want in any quantity you want.
__________________

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:19 AM   #24
RecycledRS
Along for the ride
 
RecycledRS's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Vancouver Island
Oddometer: 1,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericrat View Post
You forgot to use the radius (as opposed to the diameter) in your calculation. Actually that is a little under stock. Reference here, http://w6rec.com/duane/bmw/engine.htm. Let me google that, http://lmgtfy.com/?q=(64%2F2)+squared+*+pi+*+70+*+2. Come out to about 450cc total. I wonder if there is a 450cc class, or if that is from using a stock piston from a modern bike? Piston sure doesn't look stock.

A wonderful bit of work. I am in awe. Do you think that is a whole custom head casting? I have had dreams of boring a four inch whole through the middle of an R50 head, shrinking in a big piece of billet and starting over. These thing keep we awake at night. Somehow, I don't think I would get this through tech as a "vintage modification".

Thanks for posting!
Ooops. Of course your right, god I'm gett'in old.
__________________
_____________________________________
"There's a fine line between a shearing and a skinning"
RecycledRS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:41 AM   #25
Carl
,,,
 
Carl's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2001
Location: South Tejas
Oddometer: 760
Carefully and closely inspect those heads. They have many secondary ops done to them after they were cast. It appears to include gasket surfaces, combustion chambers, exhaust threads and most probably the plug threads, valve guide bores, valve seat c'bores and rocker arm features. Plus, there is the sourcing of the valve train parts. Then there are the secondary ops to complete (inserting seats and guides, seat cutting and/or grinding) the assembly of the heads w/ the valve parts.

You'll be spinning your wheels by attempting to modify a stock set of R50/60heads to do what they have done. I'd recommend you have lots of time and money before starting from scratch.

Carl
__________________
http://www.flyingtpot.com/


Carl screwed with this post 01-08-2011 at 03:45 PM
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 12:10 PM   #26
Carl
,,,
 
Carl's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2001
Location: South Tejas
Oddometer: 760
Vierified by the builder

Vierified by the builder:
  • ~500cc engine
  • The builder did the machining himself in-house
  • The pistons are Suzuki 750 GXR Bj.91
  • Engine will spin to 10000/min
I like his design approach.

Carl
__________________
http://www.flyingtpot.com/

Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 12:18 PM   #27
danedg
Horizontally Opposed
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: U-puku-ipi-sing
Oddometer: 6,468
The "Flip"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houseoffubar View Post
How do you install the roller bearing crankshaft into the case with the rods already installed?


bearing to the back, webs down, rods up...
...tip into the crank housing and feed the rods up through the cam housing...
once in place....the rods will protrude through the respective cylinder housings...

there's a few pictures of the process on the smuggy below


...and a fresh stock head....


There's NO way you're gonna fit 4 valves in this thing....
Like Carl said... totally custom from scratch
__________________
51/3 , 60/2 , 60US , 74 Eldorado , R100M
The journey was comparatively uneventful. I never had to shoot anybody and nobody shot me!

danedg screwed with this post 01-08-2011 at 12:25 PM
danedg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 12:37 PM   #28
ericrat
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Oddometer: 1,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl View Post
...many secondary ops done to them after they were cast.
That is, I am sure, an understatement

Quote:

You'll be spinning your wheels by attempting to modify a stock set of R50/60heads to do what they have done. I'd recommend you have lots of time and money before starting from scratch.

Carl
Well this is racing after all. Insert standard jokes here, you know how to make a little money racing? Start with a whole lot of money.

Notice the intake ports are not angled in toward the rider, but parallel to the frame. The exhaust ports are angled out a bit. Really lovely. I wonder about the "window panes" in the case around the flywheel, beside "holes is faster". The castelated flywheel either.

I wonder if he would share his cam specs.

Eric
ericrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 12:52 PM   #29
Carl
,,,
 
Carl's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2001
Location: South Tejas
Oddometer: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericrat View Post
That is, I am sure, an understatement

Eric
Not really, you can count the secondary ops from when the raw casting was completed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericrat View Post
That is, I am sure, an understatement


I wonder if he would share his cam specs.

Eric
He sent me a batch of specs. Will need to check on which ones are definite shareware bits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericrat View Post
I wonder about the "window panes" in the case around the flywheel, beside "holes is faster". The castelated flywheel either.

Eric
Lightened flywheel and relieved case. The case mods are for cooling/breathing/disc dust removal

Carl
__________________
http://www.flyingtpot.com/


Carl screwed with this post 01-08-2011 at 01:04 PM
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 01:25 PM   #30
s.c.m.
Adventurer
 
s.c.m.'s Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Grafing close to Munich, Germany
Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericrat View Post
Come out to about 450cc total. I wonder if there is a 450cc class, or if that is from using a stock piston from a modern bike? Piston sure doesn't look stock.


"Bohrung" means "bore", so the displacement calculates
(7cm)²* Pi/4 * 6.4cm * 2 = 246.3 cm³ * 2 = 492,6 cm³


Best regards
Sven
s.c.m. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014