Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2011, 06:51 PM   #61
Brtp4
Do what you love.

Oddometer: 1,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jäger View Post
Brian, how do these compare to the TCX Infinities as far as construction? I'm trialing a pair of Infinities around the house right now on the carpet, and while I might keep them, there's a few things that have me pretty sure they have to go back to whence they came.

Primary issue is that the 44 is pretty big on my 9.5 US feet, necessitating more socks/insoles than one might expect for a half size. This is the probable reason for the noticeable heel lift I'm feeling when walking around - don't know how much this would disappear if worn to break in. And I don't think wearing extra thick socks in the summer to get a fit will lead to happy feet either.

Second (and somewhat minor) issue is the buckle arrangement is retarded - when you buckle them down, the edge of the buckle jams into the leather edge of the reinforcing, causes buckling if you don't do something to ensure the buckle slips over. Maybe that would disappear with break in as well, but...

Other than that, they are comfortable and maybe okay for longer walks if the heel lift isn't an issue. So the TCX is exactly the type of boot I'm looking for as far as flex and protection for dual sporting goes.

With that in mind, I can see the buckle thing won't be an issue with the Gaerne's. So I'm wondering about fit, relative softness for walking compared to the TCX, and whether they have an ankle cup like the TCX. I'm less worried about ankle support than ankle protection if my bike falls on me.

Thanks!
Hello Jager, sorry for the delay.

On fit, my guess is that you have the wrong size in the TCX boots. I would check teh EU size on a few pair of your athletic or hiking shoes, my guess is that you are a 43-ish, which probably crosses to a 9 in a TCX. If this is true, it will improve things a lot.

It has been a while since I looked at the Infinities, but I remember them to be stiffer than the G-ADVs, more rugged, and more similar to a Gaerne Balance. The G-ADVs are a little softer, easier to walk in, and fit much better (nothing fits like Gaernes, nothing) but have less support and protection.

Hope that helps.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Brtp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 08:00 PM   #62
Jäger
Osons

Oddometer: 790
Thanks Brian...
Jäger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 01:24 AM   #63
yellowbirdrs OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 967
Brian hi, do you have the G-Adv in 42? Also I ware Sidi 42-43, AXO, Alpinestar, fly racing Mav in 9 so what do you think I need?
yellowbirdrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 09:54 AM   #64
Brtp4
Do what you love.

I don't at the moment. Might be able to get them. We do have 9s, they miiiight work. These boots do not run narrow, but they have a different shape than other Gaernes, where they taper in at the toe earlier. The widest part of the foot chamber is more rearward than other Gaernes. Net effect is that some folks require a bigger size than they do in say, the Balance.

Not a huge difference, but a difference.

Hope that helps.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Old 05-15-2011, 11:45 AM   #65
deeve
DumbA$$

Oddometer: 1,106
Hello, I just thought I would post a review on the Gaerne Adventure-G boot. I picked these up from BP at Atomic Moto after telling him what I was looking for in a boot. I heard BP do an interview on the Dual Sport Podcast and liked how he sounded. He seemed honest and a straightforward guy.

I am a motor officer in Oregon where it rains a little. I ride a RT-P for work and a GS Adventure when I'm not. I was looking for a boot that I could wear at work that was waterproof, would hold up, allow good articulation for running/walking or driving a car, would fit in with our footwear policy (black, able to polish), be conservative looking and something we could wear all day. I have been looking for a bit, but everything was either too gaudy, too restrictive, or to be honest...looked silly with the uniform. After talking to him about various options and benefits of each type he suggested the Gaerne Adventure-G.

One of my guys picked up a pair to try out and after giving it a thorough looking over and try, myself and another deputy picked up a pair. The oldest pair is about two months old and mine are the newest at about three weeks of wear.

My initial impression was that the boot was very well built. The leather looked good, nice tread and good buckles. The entire boot is black and at first appearance does not look too different then the Danner boots we used to wear. I wear a size 13, which it the end of their size spectrum. For the first couple days one boot was pretty tight around my toes, but because of the buckles I could adjust it so it was tolerable. The boots since seem to have stretched some and are very comfortable. Break-in time was only a few days to maybe a week. I was wearing them 8-10 hours a day and did do a lot of riding and walking with some car driving so that variety might have helped speed it up.

The boot is very flexible and does not seem too restrictive. I have tried running in them and driving a car. They are more restrictive then regular boots, but not much. I'll take the trade off for more ankle and foot protection. The boot does fit nicely under the shifter and with the protective shifter pad won't wear out the toe like the Danners.

Initially they seemed kind of warm when I was wearing them. I am not sure if it was because they were tight and had not broken in yet or not, but that seems to have gone away. For the last three days I spent a lot of time standing on the pavement at a motor conference with the boots on. Not once did my feet ache or get tired or feel too warm. I have worn them in the rain and my feet stayed dry. The boots are designed to be worn over or under pants. We wear ours under our pants. I was concerned the pants would ride up getting on and off the motors. BP did not think that would happen with these boots and he was right. I have worn them with our Bratwear work pants, 5.11 heavy BDU's, lightweight BDU's and jeans without any issues.

Twice when I first got the boots while riding my GS the boot tread kind of got stick in the foot peg when I went to put my foot down. Not a big deal since I was able to pick my foot up. I have since tried to duplicate the problem but could not do it. I am thinking I may have had my foot pretty far back on the peg and maybe twisted a little. Either way I was not too concerned but thought I would mention it.

We are very happy with the boots and the service from Atomic Moto.
Old 05-15-2011, 12:30 PM   #66
Yeahbaby
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
deeve, I was at NAMOA too. So you think this will work as a duty boot? I've had my last 2 pair of Danner leak after 6 months and I'm tired of the steel shank squeaking.

When you start loosing your mind over a woman remember this one simple fact.................it's just the hairy end of a gut!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yeahbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 12:57 PM   #67
deeve
DumbA$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeahbaby View Post
deeve, I was at NAMOA too. So you think this will work as a duty boot? I've had my last 2 pair of Danner leak after 6 months and I'm tired of the steel shank squeaking.
I think so...So far it is looking pretty good. You can pretty much do everything with these that you can with a Danner. They are lighter too then a lot of the duty boots. I would like to get two years out of them so we will see how they hold up. The quality seems to be there and it appears the buckles can easily be replaced. I am thinking it should not be too much of an issue getting new ones from the manufacturer. The other part we are watching is the sole. These cannot be resoled and as you know with the constant getting on and off the motor the sole can wear out pretty quick on some boots. The oldest pair has yet to show any wear so that is good, but it has only been two months.

DAVE
Old 05-16-2011, 05:41 PM   #68
wesplains
Nothing normal please.

Oddometer: 247
G Boots

Picked up a pair of these from Brian/Bombers a couple of months ago. Three weeks ago I got to try them out, rode 7 hours in one day thru three states.

The boots were the most comfortable boot I have every worn (and I have owned a lot of the top brands). Right out of the box, never once hurt, pinched or anything else.

It was a perfect day for riding, sunny, 70 so I cannot address the waterproof thing.

I was worried that on my ZZR1200 they would be an issue shifting gears. No problem on shifting at all which really surprised me. My Sidi On Roads made shifting on the Z a pain.

I was so pleased with these I also bought a pair of the Balance Pro Tech from him to use on my F650GS. He is great to work with.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:53 PM   #69
thecanoeguy
just a yobbo from oz

Oddometer: 1,846
i just got a pair of these and they are pretty firm ,what is the general consensus ,will they loosen up much or should i try to go a bigger size ,they feel great with thin socks ,but with thicker socks , like when its cold, they seem tight ,any feedback would be great
thecanoeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 10:25 PM   #70
deeve
DumbA$$

Lengthwise mine were true to size. Widthwise they were tight but loosened up pretty quickly. I was just telling one of my guys who also has a pair that these were some of the most comfortable boots I have ever worn.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:26 PM   #71
Jblk9695
AKA-Crazy Old Man

Oddometer: 245
Hi Brian-I'm thinking about a pair of these to replace my Sidi Strada Evo Air's as they are just a little short in the toe area and can be uncomfortable. Do the G-Adv's have a bit more room in the toe area? TIA

Cheers
Jerry
Old 08-02-2011, 09:25 AM   #72
Brtp4
Do what you love.

Hi Jblk.

I don't know that Sidi model firsthand, so I cannot compare. However, compared to other Gaerne's, these are slightly less roomy in the toebox. Gaerne's typically run wide, but this model has more taper, starting slightly more rearward. It is a subtle difference, but I have had a few customers who needed a larger size in these than in their Balance boots or SG-10s.

Pass along the sizes of a few pairs of athletic shoes, and I will try to offer more info.

Hope that helps.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Old 08-02-2011, 09:49 AM   #73
Jblk9695
AKA-Crazy Old Man

Oddometer: 245
LOL, I hardly ever wear athletic shoes, sandals are my choice. If it helps I have a pair of Wolverine Wellingtons that are very comfortable and are size 13M and a pair of Merrel Sight's that are 13 and fit quite well.
Do you have a good exchange policy? Just in case they are a bit tight.

Cheers
Jerry
Old 08-02-2011, 09:59 AM   #74
Brtp4
Do what you love.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jblk9695 View Post
LOL, I hardly ever wear athletic shoes, sandals are my choice. If it helps I have a pair of Wolverine Wellingtons that are very comfortable and are size 13M and a pair of Merrel Sight's that are 13 and fit quite well.
Do you have a good exchange policy? Just in case they are a bit tight.

Cheers
Jerry
Nice. Hot in the IE. PM me your phone, I will call to discuss sizing.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Old 08-02-2011, 03:59 PM   #75
deeve
DumbA$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brtp4 View Post
Hi Jblk.

I don't know that Sidi model firsthand, so I cannot compare. However, compared to other Gaerne's, these are slightly less roomy in the toebox. Gaerne's typically run wide, but this model has more taper, starting slightly more rearward. It is a subtle difference, but I have had a few customers who needed a larger size in these than in their Balance boots or SG-10s.

Pass along the sizes of a few pairs of athletic shoes, and I will try to offer more info.

Hope that helps.

BP
FWIW, I also have a size 13m foot with the G-Adventure boots. When new they were a little tight on my toe. I was able to use the buckle adjustment to make it looser, but it still squeezed my toes. After a couple of days though-maybe three-they loosened up and broke in nicely. Really, they are very comfortable boots. I wear mine 8-10 hours a day and do everything from ride a motorcycle, drive a car, walk and run in them. Very nice boots! Hope that helps

DAVE