Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2011, 07:42 AM   #91
dmaxmike
former quadtard.

Oddometer: 738
Got a pair on Friday, sent them back on Friday. Is it just me or are they just a really expensive pair of hiking boots? there is no ankle support at all and really no arch support for standing on the pegs. They were very well made and looked great but they definitely are more street then trail.
dmaxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:37 AM   #92
RomaDakota
Yes Scotland!

Oddometer: 1,351
I have 8.5 also. After looking at my other shoes etc, I still fit in at 8.5.
Talked with Brian and went with a 9. Maybe just a hair big, just a hair. Not certain could have went down to an 8.
Seem to fit well, looks good and seemingly good quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOEI66 View Post
Brian...or anyone else sized 8.5 who owns this boot,

I think the G-Adventure may be the boot I've been looking for. Question for you on size...I'm a 8.5 US size on everything I wear, which is sized in US sizes. In euro it seems to depend on brand name, sometimes a 41 sometimes a 42. I see that there are no half sizes available. Have you had "half size" customer in this going up or down to the available sizes?
Old 10-10-2011, 09:51 AM   #93
Brtp4
Yea, its a friggin L

Oddometer: 1,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaDakota View Post
I have 8.5 also. After looking at my other shoes etc, I still fit in at 8.5.
Talked with Brian and went with a 9. Maybe just a hair big, just a hair. Not certain could have went down to an 8.
Seem to fit well, looks good and seemingly good quality.
On sizing, for this specific Gaerne model I see a pattern where, when in between two sizes it is better to go up. On myself I wear an 11 in the Balance and SG-10, but a 12 in the G-ADV. I think RomaDakota is correct...an 8 would not have worked.

I basically agree with dmaxmike, they are soft for off road use, more of a road boot. The silhouette looks more aggressive than the Balance but the opposite is true. Perhaps the best example I can offer for context is this: I have some motorcycle LEOs that use these. They have to walk a lot, and have the possibility to run too. Their feedback is the the G-ADV is good for this.

In order of stiffness, the G-ADV is softest (I feel too soft for off road), then the Balance (I feel they are the midpoint), then the G-Midland, then MX boots like the GX-1 or SG-10.

Hope that helps.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Brtp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 12:42 PM   #94
YOEI66
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxmike View Post
Got a pair on Friday, sent them back on Friday. Is it just me or are they just a really expensive pair of hiking boots? there is no ankle support at all and really no arch support for standing on the pegs. They were very well made and looked great but they definitely are more street then trail.
Thanks for the good input! I was looking for a stouter boot upgrade, as my tires are seeing more gravel travel than in past years. Taking a closer look, my old discontinued/ Italian made Jo-Rock-it road boots actually have plastic ankle cups and the same brand and style soles as the G-adventure. Not much of an upgrade from what I already have. I think I'll be saving some a bit more dough for the G-Midland.
Old 11-19-2011, 03:17 PM   #95
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brtp4 View Post
Hi Scott.

The basic boot quality is excellent (like all Gaerne's) and there is some heel protection. The silhouette of the boot looks aggressive, but the ankle protection is limited and the boot is fairly soft. I would characterize it as a boot for 80% - 90% street. If you have any significant off road in your riding, I would say the G-Adventure is not the correct model.

Hope that helps.

BP
I just stumbled on this thread and wanted to say thanks for your insights - I appreciate your wisdom!

Though I've been riding for about 6 years now and have over 100,000 miles between 2 KTM LC4's and a KLX250 I never learned how to get dressed!

Why do you need more protection when riding off road? I do lots of both and think I can figure it out but I'll just be humble and ask and see if I can learn more.

I started riding in Malaysia where "responsible" riders mocked irresponsible riders and told me I should wear tennis shoes and jeans. They were saying that in contrast to the flip flops and shorts normally worn.

Like an LEO I'm constantly on and off the bike, walking, hiking riding. Unlike a motorcycle LEO I'm adding lots of off road in the same freeway ride. Geez come to think of it I've never talked with anyone why we/I wear what we do. I stop and help at accidents all the time and from those I've slowing shaped new ideas on what ATGATT means forgetting someone else invented the wheel! :)

For instance once I saw a guys ankle bone ground down and it dawned on me that even better than tennis shoes would be shoes covering the ankles and I got hiking boots. (I was the guy wearing sandles on 80 mile hikes.)
I saw another accident where a guy ripped where the bottom of his calf muscle attaches to the leg mostly off on his own footpeg and it dawned on me for the first time one reason real motorcycle boots are so high (it also crossed my mind there may be other reasons I hadn't thought of yet!)
Not long ago I upgraded from hiking boots to some Axo slammer constructor shorty boots. I really liked those boots - they were 1 !/2" taller than my hiking boots and the sole was stiffer. A bit harder to walk and I wondered what the point of stiffer soles was and then while standing on the pegs and taking a corner to fast and tight I caught the toe of my boot on a rock wall while the sole dug into the footpegs. (I had been hoping to just brush by). I hit it with enough force that it knocked the back end of my bike around but it didn't hurt too bad. I realized then if I had been wearing the hiking boots I would have broke my foot (however I did wonder if I was wearing sneakers if it just would have knocked my foot back).
Axo's got stolen a few weeks ago and so I went back to hiking boots. Recently had an accident and broke the bone that eventually becomes your small toe. That was a freak accident and I wonder if "real" boots would have saved the toe. I was coming back from a fairly hardcore ride, crossing a bamboo bridge over a river on autopilot as I was almost back and the trail was pretty simple from that point on. The bamboo broke and my front end fell thru and I dropped in the river 6' below. The bike did a couple hits first but eventually landed on my foot in the river. Though the break was behind where the steel in a steel toe boot would come, looking at how my bike crushed the boot sidewise and looking at other true motorcycle boots I actually thought a steel toe work book might have protected me in that one particular instance better.
Anyways I'm checking these boots out and Brian you've been the most knowledgeable/helpful guy I've come across so I guess I was asking for your thoughts.
I know MX boots are the best now but I just don't think I could do that with all the walking around I'd do; if I bought them I probably wouldn't wear them. In contrast to most here I'm actually always thinking about how to keep cool as oppossed to hot as well. Our mud here is uber slick as well so I'm wanting something with "teeth" on the bottom.
Any chance you could give me a 3 boot answer as in a. leaning towards more comfy walking at the expense of less protection b. best balance and c. better protection at the expense of harder to walk in?
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 02:04 PM   #96
high dangler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
just recieved my Gaerne G adv boots today . 229 shipped from revzilla
Pretty much what I was hoping for in this style boot.
Comfy out of the box .Look well made and their size ten equals my size 10 .
My only complaint is the top buckle on both boots is a pain to get buckled
The strap and buckle dont come together lined up very well
It might take some tweaking with a screwdriver. .

Edit : got the buckle problem sorted.

high dangler screwed with this post 12-31-2011 at 10:15 AM
high dangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 08:08 PM   #97
460Magnum
n00b

Oddometer: 4
high dangler - I picked up the same boots yesterday and have exactly the same problem with the top buckle on both boots. What did you do to yours to fix? Thanks.
460Magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 05:43 AM   #98
high dangler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by 460Magnum View Post
high dangler - I picked up the same boots yesterday and have exactly the same problem with the top buckle on both boots. What did you do to yours to fix? Thanks.
Magnum ,there seems to be just a little adjustment on the buckle .I just loosened the philips screws .,re-aimed the buckle thing and retightened .
It didnt help much .
What did help was repositioning my leg as im trying to buckle . Twisting foot one way or another seems to help. Its probably an old dirtbiker trick but ive never owned a boot with this type buckle.
Ive road tested these boots and they'll be fine . Doesnt seem to be much break in required.
How are you liking yours?

high dangler screwed with this post 01-16-2012 at 07:23 AM
high dangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:01 AM   #99
460Magnum
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Thanks, high dangler. Like you, I have never owned boots with this type of buckles previously. I tried your recommendations and the top buckles now seem to lock in with significantly less effort. Agree that the positioning/twisting of the foot and ankle seemed to help more that the limited adjustment available with the screws.

Have not had a chance to road test yet, however, the boots are very comfortable as I begin to break them in walking around the house. Given the difficulty of latching the top buckles (and the relative ease of the two lower buckles) on both boots, I originally thought the positioning of the top buckles on mine was actually some sort of manufacturing defect and was considering returning the boots, even though I liked everything wlse about them.

Appreciate you taking the time to share your experience, which was very helpful to me.
460Magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:00 PM   #100
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,913
First off - thx to Brian at AtomicMoto for his patience and help in getting the right boot on my feet. I have the SG-10's for the rocky & nasty stuff but was looking for basically a boot for milder DS rides and also to replace my street boots. The G-Adv fits in where I need it to. The AM site says it's about 70 street, 30 dirt and not recommended for single track. I'd agree.

The G-Adv will work perfectly for the dirt roads and back roads on my DR650 along with the street rides on my Strom.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:06 AM   #101
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,283
How are these boots to stand on the pegs for long periods of time? The sole seems too soft.

fbj913 screwed with this post 04-05-2012 at 08:36 AM
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:24 AM   #102
Brtp4
Yea, its a friggin L

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
How are these boots to stand in for long periods of time?
You mean on the pegs?

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Old 04-05-2012, 08:35 AM   #103
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brtp4 View Post
You mean on the pegs?

BP
yes
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:29 AM   #104
Brtp4
Yea, its a friggin L

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
yes
That answer is inherently somewhat subjective, but I can speak to the construction better. The G-Adventures have support components under the arch of the foot for rigidity. There is a lot of flex at the toe, softer there than most other ADV boots. Overall, the G-Adventures are toward the softer / more comfortable / walkable end of DS / ADV boots.

Lots of standing implies a lot of off road use. The sole area aside, if that is the case I would look to ADV / DS boots with more overall rigidity.

Hope that helps.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Old 04-05-2012, 04:18 PM   #105
larry0071
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
So, after being in a low side and crushing the foot and ankle and having ankle ligament damage.... What is an adventure bout that favors heavily to the true bone and body protection that would be an alternative? I'm thinking something like a suit of armor with waterproof membrane. Advise please?
Visit my Amsoil site here:
http://www.lubedealer.com/DiscountPowerParts/home.aspx
larry0071 is offline   Reply With Quote