Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2011, 12:29 PM   #31
Infracaninophile
Finding My Way..

Oddometer: 7,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by mookymoo View Post
Will do.

The interesting bit will be to see how it stands up to a years worth of vibration and bouncing about. For example, the attachment points on the battery are notably lighter material than, say, the yuasa. Only one way to tell!
Mooky:

I too am waiting to see if someone who really rides their 950 a lot gets the battery to last 1-2 years. If it does then the price may make it worth it.

Tom
Infracaninophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 12:48 PM   #32
mookymoo
Mookish Mook

Oddometer: 4,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infracaninophile View Post
Mooky:

I too am waiting to see if someone who really rides their 950 a lot gets the battery to last 1-2 years. If it does then the price may make it worth it.

Tom
2 years is a long time to wait.
Its not that much more expensive than the stocker is it? How much does a YUASA retail for in the US?
mookymoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 02:18 PM   #33
Infracaninophile
Finding My Way..

Oddometer: 7,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by mookymoo View Post
2 years is a long time to wait.
Its not that much more expensive than the stocker is it? How much does a YUASA retail for in the US?

Mooky:

No idea on the stocker. I just spent $77.25 USD for a nice stock-like replacement. Same company that makes the Braille unit apparently. If this one last one year or longer I'll be happy. For the life of me I can't see why 950 batteries die so often. I've had BMW airhead batteries last 7-9 years and I take them to the same places as people take their 950's.

Tom
Infracaninophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 03:39 PM   #34
KTM450SX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 367
The stock battery through KTM is around $275 LOL.. I looked.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:53 AM   #35
Ian123
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Mooky,

I have just ordered one on Saturday for my bike after trying to start it the other day and it not responding (much).

Even though its been on trickle charge through the winter (Optimate 3) it appears that it's finally given up not too good really the bike was only delivered in March 2003....

Anyway, I checked prices the best price for a Yuasa is via Honda dealers best I saw was £63. Then I saw all this chat online about Shorai and checked a few prices and thought why not the all up price in sterling £155 delivered express.....

A lot I know but if you take the battery price alone in sterling its only just over what KTM dealers want to charge for the Yuasa.

One good thing about having cancer it changes your view.... Lifes too short not to try it!

Always had trouble with the Yuasa running down over a few weeks if the bike was left to stand anyway.

If you're down my way and fancy a brew and play just let me know, you would be very welcome

KTM 950 Silver (Faster than Orange or Black... )
Ian123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:08 PM   #36
mookymoo
Mookish Mook

Oddometer: 4,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian123 View Post
Even though its been on trickle charge through the winter (Optimate 3) it appears that it's finally given up not too good really the bike was only delivered in March 2003....

My 2005 battery lasted until 2009...

Quote:
If you're down my way and fancy a brew and play just let me know, you would be very welcome
Where in Kent is that exactly?
mookymoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:11 PM   #37
Brown Dog
North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer: 1,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Dog View Post
Besides the Weight Savings, Im sold on the EXTRA Amp/Hour Rating & the CCA's
You wont regret the Shorai upgrade
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:12 PM   #38
hilslamer
2XRedheadedstepchild

Oddometer: 1,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infracaninophile View Post
Mooky:

Tom
I haven't had mine very long but the weather has been great here and I've put a lot of miles down nasty jeep roads on it, along with a lot of stop-start type street miles(errands, back and forth to work, etc.) It hasn't missed a beat and there has been no noticable decline in cranking ability as has been my experience with all other batteries I have tried(all SLA AGM batteries).

I have so much more confidence in the bike now with the Shorai on board; that was the only "achillies heal" that it has ever had and while I've usually been able to get safely out of numerous situations when the SLA batteries have died, it has seriously disrupted plans and trips several times.

hilslamer screwed with this post 02-02-2011 at 12:31 PM
hilslamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 01:10 PM   #39
cyborg OP
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 5,005
As a few data points, the last two days it has been 24F to 26F in my garage when I start the 990S in the morning for my commute, bike is cold-soaked at those temps all night. When I try to start with no "warm-up" to the battery, it spins 3 or 4 times but too slowly/weak to start the bike. I let it sit 15 seconds or so then the second try and the bikes jumps to life, strong cranking from then on. That one start pull on the batt warms it up quick.

A few times in sub-freezing temps I also just turned the key on, let the headlights run while I finished the final fussing with gear, then the starter spun quick. Again, that was a warmup for the battery.

It does illustrate that lithium packs need to pull some current to warm up a bit in below freezing 32F/OC temps. Above freezing the Shorai spins the starter fine.

I have not used a trickle charger or given it a charge since installing.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:34 PM   #40
sillbeer
n00berific

Oddometer: 97
I see several people jumping at the 18 amp Shorai. Isn't the 14 amp more than adequate?

-Destin
sillbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:04 PM   #41
Brown Dog
North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer: 1,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillbeer View Post
I see several people jumping at the 18 amp Shorai. Isn't the 14 amp more than adequate?

-Destin
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg
The more Ah the merrier when you run extra loads like heated gear & grips or you forget the GPS on when the bike is off ...
Listen to this Wise Man
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:19 AM   #42
hilslamer
2XRedheadedstepchild

Oddometer: 1,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillbeer View Post

-Destin
If more is available, and it fits, and the price premium is negligible(IMO), why not? I mean, we all bought 990's when a KLR250 would probably work just fine, right?

I'm looking forward to the day when I wheel up to someone in a parking lot and help them jumpstart their car...LOL
hilslamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:04 AM   #43
Ian123
Adventurer

Hi Mooky, I'm down in sunny Whitstable!

also guys with reference to the other replies querying the choice of 18Ah battery as against 14Ah..... I chose 18Ah. Once you've been on a rally and had to bump start the 950 I suspect you might too.......

Old 02-04-2011, 09:26 AM   #44
Ian123
Adventurer

For those with Optimate battery chargers...

Hi,

Thought I would just check with Shorai on suitability of my existing charger. very helpful response see below

Hi Ian,

Their documentation indicates that the charger should be fine for LFX, as the DESULFATE mode is based on sensing a high battery resistance. Since Shorai LFX ALWAYS have considerably lower resistance than even a brand-new lead-acid battery, the desulfate mode should never “kick in”. The only possible exception I can think of would be extreme cold, if the charger does not compensate for temps. I therefore recommend that it be used only when ambient is 32f (0 C) or higher.

In order for the recovery mode to engage, the OptiMate circuit needs to "see" a high resistance across the battery

terminals. In the case where the battery remains connected to the vehicle's wiring system, any battery-supported
accessories will automatically lower the overall resistance (battery plus accessories) that the OptiMate is going to
"read" when it tries to pass the limited maximum 200 mA to the battery. Therefore the OptiMate will not read the
battery resistance as being high enough to indicate deep discharge / sulphation and therefore will not engage the
recovery mode.

However, if you ride even once a month, you should never need to charge the LFX. We are NOT lead-acid, do not sulfate, have slow self-discharge, and do not need to be constantly fully charged!!

Old 02-05-2011, 04:50 PM   #45
cyborg OP
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 5,005
Quote:

From ShoraiTech
However, if you ride even once a month, you should never need to charge the LFX. We are NOT lead-acid, do not sulfate, have slow self-discharge, and do not need to be constantly fully charged!!
Thought I would highlight one of Shorai's responses, which seems to be holding true so far.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote