User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2011, 09:52 PM   #46
tmus2122
MSF Instructor 24yrs

Oddometer: 26
Just ordered one

With the help of inmate Head2Wind (Ken) with Adventure Machines, http://www.advmachines.com/ I got a LFX 18A1-BS12 on the way for my 2006 ST1300a.

Please contact him if you need help ordering one, he was the bestest in working out my issues

Thanks Ken

tmus2122 screwed with this post 02-07-2011 at 09:54 PM Reason: added
tmus2122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:37 PM   #47
sillbeer
n00berific

Oddometer: 97
I received my Shorai today. I ended up settling on the 18amp battery and will install it in the morning. When I opened the box it had a Wolfman duffel in it also. Thanks CJ

-Destin
sillbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:19 PM   #48
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 5,964
I saw a pic of a Batter Tender on the first post, but I can't tell if it's the "normal" lead-acid one, or a different one.

Can a Shorai be charged with a normal Tender? I just bought a 2-port Tender, and I have no desire to replace it, featherlight battery or no.

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:33 PM   #49
cyborg OP
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailhead View Post
I saw a pic of a Batter Tender on the first post, but I can't tell if it's the "normal" lead-acid one, or a different one.

Can a Shorai be charged with a normal Tender? I just bought a 2-port Tender, and I have no desire to replace it, featherlight battery or no.
Yes, Shorai Tech verified the plain old (lead/acid) standard Battery Tender (Deltran) including the Junior, are just fine. Nothing special needed for the lithium cells. Just do not want a "desulphate" mode. You can go back to the first post and look at the pix. Those were my Battery Tenders and are 'standard' ones. You can also email Shorai with your specific battery tender and ask. They are good about getting back to you.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 01:14 AM   #50
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 5,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
You can go back to the first post and look at the pix. Those were my Battery Tenders and are 'standard' ones.
I'm aware of those pix, as I mentioned-- they didn't provide the information I needed but you did. Thank you.

It's nice to have a contingency plan in place in case this winter is the stock battery's last.

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:20 AM   #51
b_faster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mookymoo View Post
Will do.

The interesting bit will be to see how it stands up to a years worth of vibration and bouncing about. For example, the attachment points on the battery are notably lighter material than, say, the yuasa. Only one way to tell!

I would worry less about the vibration and bouncing with the lighter battery, if you have it packed correctly in the box. If you let it bounce inside the box, then you will probably induce premature failure.
b_faster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:47 AM   #52
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Oddometer: 7,103
Just ordered one from ADVMachines. My OEM from June of 2003 is still doing the job, butt 8 years is too much to ask from any battery. Think I'll retire it to my museum of Over Extended Parts (along with my OEM LC8 water pump, fuel pump, and front rim, to name a few). This Shorai is so light you could carry a spare in the luggage for those long trips, if so inclined. Thanks for the writeup cyborg. Great addition to the HOW.

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 02:44 PM   #53
GoThere@50
I'm Going

Oddometer: 95
More Power!

Great Post,

If any of you who are running the Shorai batteries actually deplete the charge in one and have to charge it, please let us know how it responds to your charger. Same for just a preventative trickle charge. AGMs, Gels and LI batteries all respond differently to a charging cycle and have differing "Ideal" charging rates. The problem is that our motorcycle's internal charging circuit as well as the conventional trickle chargers most of us have are optimized for lead acid charging rates. This is why some earlier versions of so called "Super Batteries" end up with much shorter than expected life spans. I'm not saying that is the case here, I'm actually interested enough to want to know the outcome. I'm just saying it may be the only potential down side.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:53 PM   #54
Gila Monster
Carnivore

Oddometer: 117
Talking

Just installed one on my 950 adv s and it is nice and strong. Super easy install and so nice of them to include the sticky foam to make it that way.
2008 KTM 300 XCW
Gila Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:30 AM   #55
Ian123
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Cry UK riders ouch!

Just received thye UK Customs Import Parcel Invoive for my new Shorai 18Ah battery ordered from California Sports - Ouch!!

Import VAt (Value Added Tax) 18.38
Clearance Fee 13.50
Total 31.88

So Uk based owners you now know how much extra to import! I shoulod have got it sent to my brother in law in San Fran and got him to post it as a gift!.

For you guys in the ex colony thats $52.42 !!

KTM 950 Silver (Faster than Orange or Black... )
Ian123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:13 AM   #56
pepetrueba
PePeBaJa

Oddometer: 195
Shorai Battery

Ordered my 18a shorai from Superbike Supply Inc 169.00 delivered to Ca
Old battery had to be on trickle charged every two weeks
Old 02-10-2011, 04:04 PM   #57
markwoodlief
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,618
Put one in my GasGas 400 (notorious for killing any battery)... at 25 degrees yesterday morning it would not start my bike.

The Gassers are fuel injected which requires to have a pretty good battery to kick in the fuel pump, etc. No go.. Ended up pushing it up a hill and push starting it. Within a minute the battery was fully charged and i could stop and start it at will..

I wouldnt say it's bad, especially with the 950's bigger battery, i think the gasser has the 14a.. may try to switch it out and see if i can get the 950 battery in the gasser battery box.

At any rate.. i've killed one.. ... but just for a minute..
Old 02-10-2011, 04:51 PM   #58
cyborg OP
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by markwoodlief View Post
Put one in my GasGas 400 (notorious for killing any battery)... at 25 degrees yesterday morning it would not start my bike.

The Gassers are fuel injected which requires to have a pretty good battery to kick in the fuel pump, etc. No go.. Ended up pushing it up a hill and push starting it. Within a minute the battery was fully charged and i could stop and start it at will..

I wouldnt say it's bad, especially with the 950's bigger battery, i think the gasser has the 14a.. may try to switch it out and see if i can get the 950 battery in the gasser battery box.

At any rate.. i've killed one.. ... but just for a minute..
Mark, I've ridden my v-twin Aprilia RXV550 to work a few days this week to keep it limbered up. It's FI as well and can be a bear to start old 27F mornings. As expected, the first crank attempt, no go -- but I know the first cranking warms up the battery. I waited 15 sec or so for the heat to seep through the battery a bit then the next crank runs were full force and it lit right off. I have the Shorai small case 14ah in that, the only size that will fit in it's battery box.

Below freezing, these lithium batteries need a warm up pull on the amps.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:23 PM   #59
markwoodlief
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,618
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
Mark, I've ridden my v-twin Aprilia RXV550 to work a few days this week to keep it limbered up. It's FI as well and can be a bear to start old 27F mornings. As expected, the first crank attempt, no go -- but I know the first cranking warms up the battery. I waited 15 sec or so for the heat to seep through the battery a bit then the next crank runs were full force and it lit right off. I have the Shorai small case 14ah in that, the only size that will fit in it's battery box.

Below freezing, these lithium batteries need a warm up pull on the amps.
yeah, i've watching the thread and realized the shortcomings due to weather. So did try to wait it out, tried 4 or 5 times over about a 10 mins period before I pushed it up the hill.. Still in love with the battery.. as any other battery on this bike kills it right away regardless of the temperature out.. oh and this battery has never been on a charger and it's been in the bike for about a month, used about 2 times a week at Walker.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:19 PM   #60
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,180
Would plugging it in to a battery tender first warm it up enough to wake it up?

Chuckracer is online now   Reply With Quote