ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2011, 07:28 AM   #121
sstewart
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,056
Shorai

PM kennyd,he has them in stock. Forgot the name of his bus.,Canada I think.
sstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 08:12 AM   #122
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,936
So do we have enough data points to confirm these batteries are worth the additional cost?

Will sitting above the header pipe on the SE be a problem?

My battery has stranded me twice, once in Patagonia, and I'm looking to get a new one.

Hopefully getting one to BsAs won't be too hard.

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 09:18 AM   #123
Brown Dog
North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer: 1,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misery Goat
So do we have enough data points to confirm these batteries are worth the additional cost?

Will sitting above the header pipe on the SE be a problem ...
My Shorai has been Awesome in my 950 SE so far

With more amp hour rating & more cca's than stock = its a win win in my book
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:53 AM   #124
pfb
Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer: 5,469
I emailed Shorai as well, but does anybody know if the Shorai's are allowed as carry-on baggage by the TSA?

TSA allows 2 "larger lithium ion batteries" with up to 25g of lithium content in carry on luggage. (info here), so the real question is how much lithium is in these batteries and is it documented anywhere.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:07 AM   #125
RozzyCat
Bleeds orange

Oddometer: 484
Cold Starting Issue

I've been testing my Shorai (18A) for a trip to AK next year. I've had no luck starting the 990 below 40 degrees F with the lithium battery. I used the preheating procedure prescribed by the company to no avail. I put the lead acid battery back in and it cranked right up at 35 degrees.

I love the weight loss but not much good if I'm stranded.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:54 PM   #126
jconyer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
I've had the Shorai in my 990 Adv for 4 months now. I was very pleased with the performance, until....... it has finally cooled off here in Tucson and on two occasions it has not started the bike in the morning at 50 degrees F +/- a couple. First crank would hardly turn the bike over, second just clicks, third just clicks Will get in touch with Shorai shortly.
jconyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 02:33 PM   #127
Agnostic and Orange

Oddometer: 1,312
I have shorai on my 450, not 950. It starts bike even below freezing. But you have to turn light on and crank it few times before it comes on with full power.
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 07:40 PM   #128
mattc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 428
I just ordered the 18 for my 990. It wouldn't start Saturday morning with its original battery at a measly 45F. It's been acting flaky for quite a while. I hope all these issues y'all are having will be taken care of.
mattc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:07 PM   #129
cyborg OP
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 5,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by RozzyCat View Post
I've been testing my Shorai (18A) for a trip to AK next year. I've had no luck starting the 990 below 40 degrees F with the lithium battery. I used the preheating procedure prescribed by the company to no avail. I put the lead acid battery back in and it cranked right up at 35 degrees.
I love the weight loss but not much good if I'm stranded.
Fired my 990 up at 34F yesterday morning and 31F this morning, with my year old Shorai 18. Still gets the job done just fine. Temps keep dropping so I'll get to keep testing it colder and colder as I did last year. I do the little warmup-drill below 40F.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:11 PM   #130
DrKayak
Retro Rider

Oddometer: 748
I run the 14Ah in my 450exc. My fan pulls more power than the stator puts out on wicked single track, slow speeds and fan runs all the time. This killed the OE battery in a few rides. The Shoria always started the bike strong. After 3 rides I was having trouble getting it to take a full charge with a battery tender.

Ordered the Shoria dedicated charger and it reported a bad cell in the battery. After 3 tries the Shoria charger recovered the voltage level in the bad cell. Now after each ride I put it on the Shoria charger and it complains the battery voltage is too low. So far it has alwasy taken a good full charge.

I think the dedicated charger is a good investment for maximum battery life. I will be impressed if the Shoria hold up to 2 years of this abuse.
04 FZ1
DrKayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:57 AM   #131
cyborg OP
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Cold Start

30F in the garage this morning for my 990S. First crank attempt wouldn't even turn over the engine. Let that sit 15sec from that pull, for warming. Next start try it cranked a few times weakly, no start. Let that sit 30 seconds for more warming.

Next crank VROOOM! Spun the engine strongly and fired right up first spin.

These Shorai batteries really DO need to be heated up when it's below 40F and then they work fine. Takes a bit of patience. Using just the headlights is too slow for warming. A pull or two on the starter warms them right up. Unlike Lead/Acid which gets weaker and weaker every start attempt, the lithiums get stronger IF you give some waiting time between attemps, for the chemicals to heat them up inside.

On the charger notes, keep in mind your bikes' single source non-balanced charging system is what feeds the Shorai batt 99.99% of the time, so simple Battery Tenders are just fine for topping them off, if they need it, which I've found they rarely do. i.e. Battery Tenders are no worse than the bikes charging system, probably better.

I do have a fancy balancing charger (used for RC batts) but realized quickly that there's no point to it. If you instead go wild with mods and put a balancing charger in-between your bikes charging system and the Shorai, then you could have perfectly topped off individual cells all the time, but do you really care?. I decided I don't and run it in the real world scenario where other lead/acid-GEL/AGM etc batteries have to live.
Old 11-02-2011, 02:07 PM   #132
pfb
Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer: 5,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfb View Post
I emailed Shorai as well, but does anybody know if the Shorai's are allowed as carry-on baggage by the TSA?

TSA allows 2 "larger lithium ion batteries" with up to 25g of lithium content in carry on luggage. (info here), so the real question is how much lithium is in these batteries and is it documented anywhere.
Just as a follow-up if anybody is interested, David Radford the president of Shorai emailed me back to let me know that the battery DOES meet international shipping and carry-on regulations, and that he personally has taken one through TSA security many times without issue.

For international adventure travelers, good info. It can be hard to source something like a 950 battery in remote places, and shipping/carrying conventional batteries is pretty tough as well.
Old 11-02-2011, 03:50 PM   #133
RozzyCat
Bleeds orange

Oddometer: 484
Here's the warming recipe that I used (unsuccessfully) at 35 degrees with the bike sitting outside overnight.

This came from Shorai:

Turn the headlight on for 1 minute and then try up to 5
starter attempts. If it doesn't start leave the headlight and warmers on
for 30 seconds and try up to another 5 starter attempts. If it still
doesn't start you can turn the key off for 60 seconds for the battery
voltage level to recover, then turn the key on and try starting without
waiting. It should have started by now, but you can repeat the headlight
and warmers for 30 seconds at a time with 60 seconds resting (no load
periods between starting attempts). I would guess that 3 minutes is more
than enough time to warm the battery. If the hand warmers are used to warm
the battery, be sure to turn them off before cranking.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:12 PM   #134
cleophus
gnar gnar adventurer

Oddometer: 301
The Shorai has been great in my 950 so far, but I haven't tried it below freezing yet so I'll have to reserve final judgement.

At 0 C I turned the lights and grips on for 5 minutes or so, first crank weak, wait for 20 seconds or so, second crank fires it right up. If I was patient enough to wait longer for preheating maybe it would fire up first crank.

Ridiculously light battery, I think 7 lbs. lighter than a lead acid battery, and supposedly much longer service life. I hope so for $180! I think a replacement Yuasa YTZ14S is around $155. Plus, I'm a geek and have been really impressed with the lithium ion batteries in the latest generation of cordless tools, so I figured I'd try one on the old moto since it was time to replace the stock Yuasa, which lasted 7 years, pretty respectable in my book.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:47 PM   #135
cyborg OP
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

They just launched the latest big Mars rover with Lithium Ion batteries (and a nuke pack to keep them topped off), so if it's good enough for the 1 ton Mars Rover 'Curiosity' if should be good enough for our 9xx's

Been starting my 990 at 27F, using a few weak starter cycles and waiting for internal heating. After an overnight cold-soak usually get underway in 1 to 2 minutes.