ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-10-2011, 11:19 AM   #1
NorCal.matt OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Eek Garmin Nuvi 500 Crashes

Hi all,
I recently got a GPS (first one I've owned) and am trying to get it to make a custom route for a coastal trip. The problem happens when I go to "My Data", "Import Route from File", and select the files to import. The Unit goes blank at this point. I have given it a lot of time to do it's voodoo, but it appears that it just shuts down. I should note that I am using Garmin BaseCamp for Mac. Also, I do NOT have any additional memory in the Unit itself, which is what I assume the problem is... just wanted to make sure. Thanks for any help!
NorCal.matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 02:02 PM   #2
kelly1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Does anyone know of this issue. I just got one of these and I'm having the same issue and can't find anything about it online ??
kelly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 02:49 PM   #3
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 14,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal.matt View Post
Hi all,
I recently got a GPS (first one I've owned) and am trying to get it to make a custom route for a coastal trip. The problem happens when I go to "My Data", "Import Route from File", and select the files to import. The Unit goes blank at this point. I have given it a lot of time to do it's voodoo, but it appears that it just shuts down. I should note that I am using Garmin BaseCamp for Mac. Also, I do NOT have any additional memory in the Unit itself, which is what I assume the problem is... just wanted to make sure. Thanks for any help!
The Nuvi 500 takes up to 250 via points. Do you have more than that in the route? If so, split the route up into a couple of routes not exceeding 250 via points. The Nuvi 500 can only store 10 routes, so check that as well. If you have 10 or more export some to your pc or mac via mapsource.

You if these ideas don't pan out you may have to do a hard reset. To do this:

Hard Reset Procedure: (All except the 8x0/8x5/37xx series units):
1. Power the unit off.
2. Press and hold (and continue to hold) the bottom-right corner of the screen while powering the unit on.
3. Continue to hold the screen until the "Do you want to erase all user data?" prompt appears.
4. Press "yes" and the unit will reboot.
Reset all your location settings and user preferences. Also restore your favorites using the method outlined at the end of this post.

Note*** Doing this will likely delete your favorites so back them up beforehand: From the nuvi drive, copy x:/Garmin/GPX/current.gpx to your backup location. After the hard reset, copy current.gpx back to the same folder on the nuvi but rename it temp.gpx (important). On the next power cycle, the favorites will be read from temp.gpx into the non-user accessible memory area on the nuvi where they are actually stored (current.gpx is only a shadowed backup of your favorites) * Note that this procedure will clear all user selected settings under Tools>Settings like map view mode, navigational settings, selected vehicle, selected voice, etc. These settings will need to be re-configured afterwards. It will also clear out your Recent Finds so make sure you save these as favorites or archive them in another way. Maps, vehicles, voices and user-loaded custom POI's stored on the unit will not be
TRZ Charlie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 08:27 PM   #4
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,660
mine was also crashing but at a different time
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=701373
hard reset and then i used webupdater and redid the latest firmware and now no problems.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 08:29 PM   #5
eakins
Butler Maps

is that 10 routes when you copy over a .gpx directly to the unit?

if i use mapsource to import one, i create i get 1 only at a time that comes in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZ Charlie View Post
The Nuvi 500 takes up to 250 via points. Do you have more than that in the route? If so, split the route up into a couple of routes not exceeding 250 via points. The Nuvi 500 can only store 10 routes, so check that as well. If you have 10 or more export some to your pc or mac via mapsource.

1. Power the unit off.
2. Press and hold (and continue to hold) the bottom-right corner of the screen while powering the unit on.
3. Continue to hold the screen until the "Do you want to erase all user data?" prompt appears.
Reset all your location settings and user preferences. Also restore your favorites using the method outlined at the end of this post.

Note*** Doing this will likely delete your favorites so back them up beforehand: From the nuvi drive, copy x:/Garmin/GPX/current.gpx to your backup location. After the hard reset, copy current.gpx back to the same folder on the nuvi but rename it temp.gpx (important). On the next power cycle, the favorites will be read from temp.gpx into the non-user accessible memory area on the nuvi where they are actually stored (current.gpx is only a shadowed backup of your favorites) * Note that this procedure will clear all user selected settings under Tools>Settings like map view mode, navigational settings, selected vehicle, selected voice, etc. These settings will need to be re-configured afterwards. It will also clear out your Recent Finds so make sure you save these as favorites or archive them in another way. Maps, vehicles, voices and user-loaded custom POI's stored on the unit will not be
Butler Maps website:
Old 07-04-2011, 09:47 PM   #6
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

No, it only holds ten max. They transfer one at a time to the unit.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:02 PM   #7
kelly1
Adventurer

Quote:

1. Power the unit off.

I created three different routes in Base Camp pc version, all with less then 80 via points. Did the hard reset and it still crashes after I try to "Import Route fro File" ?????
Old 07-05-2011, 07:26 AM   #8
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Have you updated the unit lately on Garmins site?
Old 07-05-2011, 07:32 AM   #9
kelly1
Adventurer

The sight tells me that it has the latest software..
Quote:
Have you updated the unit lately on Garmins site?
Old 07-05-2011, 07:40 AM   #10
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

I'm thinking it's time to spend some quality time with the Garmin Support folks, googling around I find nothing that will help you (you've done what you should have done), I think its time to call Garmin.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:29 AM   #11
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,366
Sounds like an issue I had and they told me that you could not route road data in basecamp.

I've had twenty people tell me this is resolved/non-issue. (I got rid of the 500 because it ticked me off so bad) Try exporting your route, import it into RoadTrip and then use Roadtrip to export it to the Nuvi and it should work.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 12:19 PM   #12
GlenInk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Thumb I have a solution for you !

All you need are two basic tools and follow instructions and you Zumo500 will never ever give you another problem !

The pic below is the tools needed, and the faulty Zumo500 the before fix !
Attached Images

Old 07-05-2011, 12:21 PM   #13
GlenInk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Laugh I have a solution for you !

Below is the after the fix pic. I promise your Zumo500 will never give you another days trouble !

Attached Images

Old 07-05-2011, 01:07 PM   #14
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenInk View Post
Below is the after the fix pic. I promise your Zumo500 will never give you another days trouble !

Nuvi 500, not a zumo! Lol, that's seriously crazy. Do you often use 20's to light your BBQ and hundreds to wipe?
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:54 PM   #15
eakins
Butler Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly1 View Post
The sight tells me that it has the latest software..
choose the option to redo it.
Butler Maps website: