ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-04-2011, 08:39 AM   #16
tarezo
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal.matt View Post
Hi all,
I recently got a GPS (first one I've owned) and am trying to get it to make a custom route for a coastal trip. The problem happens when I go to "My Data", "Import Route from File", and select the files to import. The Unit goes blank at this point. I have given it a lot of time to do it's voodoo, but it appears that it just shuts down. I should note that I am using Garmin BaseCamp for Mac. Also, I do NOT have any additional memory in the Unit itself, which is what I assume the problem is... just wanted to make sure. Thanks for any help!

Being able to create routes on my imac them export them to a GPS is one of the reasons I bought the Nuvi 500. But I have the exact same problem NorCal.matt has.

I have sent HOURS with Garmin tech support trying to fix this. The advanced support people have not been able to help. It has now been referred to the Double Secret Supper Support Team and I have been promise a call-back in "a few days". We'll see.
tarezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 11:59 AM   #17
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarezo View Post
Being able to create routes on my imac them export them to a GPS is one of the reasons I bought the Nuvi 500. But I have the exact same problem NorCal.matt has.

I have sent HOURS with Garmin tech support trying to fix this. The advanced support people have not been able to help. It has now been referred to the Double Secret Supper Support Team and I have been promise a call-back in "a few days". We'll see.
Yup. Same thing happened to me. Export the route, import in into road trip and then export it from road trip to the nuvi.

Using a route on dirt and pavement is "unsupported" in basecamp despite the fact that they programmed all those buttons and 'success' message

As somone who has done a bit of programming, that makes me
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:23 PM   #18
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,731
Works fine with Mapsource

http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:44 PM   #19
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdsp View Post
Works fine with Mapsource
Lol, don't even get me started on Mapsource.

Garmin cracks me up because ALL of their programming is kinda weird. Mapsource 'works' but the menus and the way it works are totally contrary to normal windows convention. Same with the Mac Progams. Certain things should be in certain places. I dunno why you need to re-learn how your computer works for one damned program.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale
Old 08-04-2011, 02:09 PM   #20
tarezo
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
Yup. Same thing happened to me. Export the route, import in into road trip and then export it from road trip to the nuvi.

Using a route on dirt and pavement is "unsupported" in basecamp despite the fact that they programmed all those buttons and 'success' message

As somone who has done a bit of programming, that makes me
I tried the work-around through Road Trip and had success. I wish you worked for Garmin Tech Support. I could've saved a lot of time if someone there told me this.

BTW if dirt and pavement routes are unsupported, what routes ARE supported? Air routes?
Old 08-04-2011, 02:16 PM   #21
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,968
Quote:

when i worked with garmin on my issue. the one support guy did admit to me the latest firmware still needs some work and i took this as garmin is still working out bugs on these units (500, 550, zumo 200)
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 02:23 PM   #22
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,731
Quote:

Garmin cracks me up because ALL of their programming is kinda weird. Mapsource 'works' but the menus and the way it works are totally contrary to normal windows convention. Same with the Mac Progams. Certain things should be in certain places. I dunno why you need to re-learn how your computer works for one damned program.
I've been doing Mapsource for 10 years (started on a Win95 computer), since before there even was Google Maps. I'm so used to Mapsource I find Google Maps a pain in the ass. My current computer is so ancient (2002) it won't even run Google Earth.

I know I'm in the minority though

I haven't messed with that new-fangled Basecamp either
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 02:43 PM   #23
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,968
Quote:

i also don't find mapsource to be that difficult. so you know i'm also in PC IT. is there really a normal windows convention? i find programmers to be all across the board. yes some are deep up MS's ass and do it exactly their way, but i've used plenty of icon heavy apps that are downright strange.

mapsource, if anything else looks like it was compiled 10yrs ago in visual look, but is still functional. no fancied buttons. once you learn what all the features do and how you implement them it pretty straight forward. i think that can be said for any program. the learning curve is a million times faster than trying to master photoshop and all the things that app does.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 04:06 PM   #24
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I tried the work-around through Road Trip and had success. I wish you worked for Garmin Tech Support. I could've saved a lot of time if someone there told me this.

BTW if dirt and pavement routes are unsupported, what routes ARE supported? Air routes?
Yeah, well the f*cker @ Garmin told me to try Mapsource as a workaround And that was after 3 hours on hold on three different calls.
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale
Old 08-04-2011, 04:09 PM   #25
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

They told me paved roads are 'unsupported' in basecamp and that basecamp was intended for hikers. Huge croc as far as I'm concerned, it's actually just "broken"
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale
Old 08-18-2011, 11:12 AM   #26
rtadlock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,239
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=650740&page=2
rtadlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:47 PM   #27
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,000
Old thread I know but I'm having the same issue. Created a route in BC, less than 200 waypoints, transferred to Nuvi 500 (tried various ways, via BC and directly in explorer to both main memory and expansion card), when I try to import the custom file, GPS unit crashes.

I cannot get MS to work - new computer and the wankers at Garmin expect people to keep copies of any upgrade files instead of just making them available on their web site like every other organization that supplies software does (doG I detest Garmin with a passion) so MS is out - has to be BC or nothing.

I have spent more time with this shitty unit trying to get routes onto it the past couple years that I am just about ready to give up for good - Garmin software is without a shadow of a doubt, THE shittiest software I have ever had the misfortune to use - both ON the unit and on the PC.

I have seen reference to Road Trip - I did a search but couldn't find this on the Garmin site (shocker) - is this another mapping product or ?

Also....where does the GPS unit read the list of Custom Files etc. from - I've go so many listed and I have no idea where the files are or where the registry is kept ?
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple

Mercury264 screwed with this post 07-10-2012 at 02:56 PM
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:52 AM   #28
tarezo
n00b

After more than a year of trying really hard to like the Nuvi 500 I have to admit that I never should have bought it. It crashes, it doesn't let me reliably import routes, I have spent many hours on the phone with Garmin without success. Anyone want to buy mine?
Old 07-19-2012, 09:56 AM   #29
devo2002
-Devo

Oddometer: 3,809
I love my Garmin for simply adding an address and hitting go. No more, no less. the basecamp software for mac is complete shit and the devices software is retarded. Do I really need to spell the state before you give me a choice to select? Tens of hours I've tried get it to accept my routes, I've tried every which way and gave up recently.

When I feel zesty I will get a delorme...
Old 07-19-2012, 10:18 AM   #30
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,000
Quote:
After more than a year of trying really hard to like the Nuvi 500 I have to admit that I never should have bought it. It crashes, it doesn't let me reliably import routes, I have spent many hours on the phone with Garmin without success. Anyone want to buy mine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by devo2002 View Post
I love my Garmin for simply adding an address and hitting go. No more, no less. the basecamp software for mac is complete shit and the devices software is retarded. Do I really need to spell the state before you give me a choice to select? Tens of hours I've tried get it to accept my routes, I've tried every which way and gave up recently.

When I feel zesty I will get a delorme...
Amen.

The shittiest software I have had the misfortune to use.

It IS a great little unit for routing you to somewhere but trying to import AND use routes is futile. Sometimes they work but most times they don't.

Basecamp and Mapsource are a complete fucking joke - the UI is simply awful (cue BC/MS lovers chiming in on how great they are - you know who you are Greg...)

For the love of God, why can't a. someone find a way to import Streets and Trips route info into the GPS (and yes I know I can technically do it via third-party software but it sucks DD) OR b. have the UI from S&T be used in BC/MS.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote