ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-19-2012, 10:47 AM   #31
devo2002
-Devo

Oddometer: 3,803
my $1 motion x gps app for iphone is far superior
Old 07-31-2012, 11:49 AM   #32
TheBikeinator
n00b

Oddometer: 7
I've learned to peacefully co-exist with my Nuvi 550. Importing routes (almost) always works if I: (1) Create the route on Mapsource, (2) Plug the Nuvi in, wait for it to boot up and let the green bar go all of the way across, (3) Hit the Transfer button on Mapsource and let it find the Nuvi. If it doesn't find it, unplug the Nuvi, plug it back in, wait for the boot-up cycle, then try again. If not found repeat until it does. (4) Transfer the route, (5) Unplug the Nuvi and let it load up the 'normal' GPS stuff. (6) Import the newly transferred route. (7) If another route is to be loaded, power the Nuvi off before plugging it back in.

I found that if I vary from the above steps, I may or may not be successful. Also, I cannot do more than 1 route at a time and I have to completely load each route before going to the next. It's a pain, but it usually works. I complained to Garmin tech support about the tedious process, but they more or less said "that's just the way it is".

Mapsource is a similar story - I get along with it, but I usually split-screen with Google maps so I can find the roads I am looking for while I'm building routes.

Speaking of routes, I find the inability to turn off auto-routing on the Nuvi a pain. I can meticulously build a route, but if I accidentally get off-route it tends to throw away my route and build a new one to its liking! Only way I've found to (somewhat) get around that behavior is to make lots of waypoints, which seems to make it try to get you to your nearest waypoint, then continue on your route. I think the Nuvi line is intended for users who want to get from point A to point B without caring how they go. Zumo lets you turn off auto-route - but it's considerably more bucks than the Nuvi. For now, I'll limp along (and complain)...
TheBikeinator is offline   Reply With Quote