User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2011, 07:33 PM   #1
betitolara OP
ADV rider wannabe

Oddometer: 778
Malfunctioning F800GS

We are currently in Trujillo, Peru having trouble with both of our F800GSs. We were driving on the highway and both our bikes felt underpowered. There was also a weird ticking noise on hard throttle openings (like passing a truck). We had recently filled up with gas in a small town so we thought that maybe the gas was bad. We were in the middle of the desert so we put our spare (presumably good) gas into the tanks to try and dilute the bad gas. This seemed to improve the situation a bit but it did not fix it. We got the bikes to a safe location where we are currently staying.

the bikes sound terrible and now stall or have troubles starting. We checked the air filter and in the compartment there was a bit of oil. We cleaned that up and replaced the air filter. the bikes still sound terrible and the oil has returned after taking the bike for a short spin.

As far as we know there is no BMW dealer in Peru and we are worried about driving our bikes anywhere and doing further damage. We are also worried about letting some random mechanic here start stripping the bikes if the problem runs deep. No warning lights are on and both bikes are acting up in similar ways. Any ideas?

Summary of issues:
Underpowered
Oil in air box
difficult to start
stalling
Generally sounding like sh*t
betitolara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 07:39 PM   #2
ride2little
MoveAlongNothingHere

Oddometer: 1,892
Shitty fuel.

YamahaRZ350
AMA-262640
ride2little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 07:53 PM   #3
BC Brian
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 572
yes, sounds like bad fuel. Seeing as its both bikes........
before you have anyone pull the bikes apart, drain the tanks and put in fresh fuel. Will most likely solve your problems
BC Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:02 PM   #4
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,094
If this is happening exactly the same to two separate bikes, then I agree - bad gas. Drain the tank completely and replace gas from different source would be a guess.

The odds of two bikes having the same failure without outside influence are slim.... I'm sure you know that.

what's your altitude?

I'm going to a good BMW dealer first thing AM anyways, and will show a tech your post... will see what they say and let you know.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:04 PM   #5
Bicyclist
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 402
Also, try to find a fuel injection system cleaner such as Seafoam or Techron. If Trujillo is a big enough city, you ought to be able to find something.
Bicyclist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:05 PM   #6
puckinet
Safety third

Oddometer: 345
Sounds like fuel two bikes at the same time. I agree with everyone drain the fuel tanks and put in good gas.

08 KTM 450 EXCR
2010 BMW F800GS
Rick
puckinet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:09 PM   #7
Bucko
In a parallel world

Oddometer: 808
I'm not one to attribute every mechanical malady to bad gas, but it sure sounds like you got a batch if it happened soon after a fill-up and both bikes have similar symptoms. The culprit could be water or low octane fuel (pinging might be what you're hearing on hard throttle) or something other than gasoline came along in your last fill-up. My guess is that your 'fuel' was diluted/contaminated with something cheaper. Since you're near sea level the bikes will want high-octane fuel to prevent pinging.

Your best bet is to empty the tanks and re-fill with the best available fuel. I'd do one bike at a time in case the local gas is worse, but you're in a large city, so good gas shouldn't be hard to find. I can't explain the oil in the air filter, unless it's been regurgitated from the crankcase by the poor running engines. I don't know the GS8 configuration that well, but my former KLRs and my DR-Z pass oil fumes into the airbox to be burned, and if something's amiss I've found oil in there.

Next, find all the auto parts stores you can and look for Seafoam. Their website doesn't list dealers in South America, but Pep Boys, Kragen/O'reilly, Ace Hardware, Checkers, CarQuest and Napa all carry it in the US. Get a couple cans for each bike and dose regularly to keep problems at bay.

HTH and good luck. Remember...it's all part of the adventure
Bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:17 PM   #8
CourtFisher
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by betitolara View Post
We are currently in Trujillo, Peru having trouble with both of our F800GSs.
As far as we know there is no BMW dealer in Peru and we are worried about driving our bikes anywhere and doing further damage.
And if it ain't the gas...try the Peru dealer

http://www.bmw-motorrad.com.pe/lam/es/index.html

BMW Motorrad Perú

Automotores Gildemeister Perú S.A.

Dirección: Javier Prado este 5535 La Molina, Lima
Ciudad: Lima
Teléfono central: (511) 617 9750
Fax:(511) 617-7777
CourtFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:58 PM   #9
raider
Big red dog

Oddometer: 1,582
My vote is on low octane. If it were debris or gunking, it would be a hell of a coincidence for it to affect both bikes simultaneously. Water, which sits at the bottom of the tank, gives you an instant (and most likely permanent) engine stall.

Although I love my 800, a bike with a thirst for 95RON (or 91 if you had the dealer adjust it for that) can be a liability in the second and third world, where fuel is often considerably lower than that.

Low octane gives you funny noises under load (pinging / detonation), shit power, and the engine will struggle so much to adjust the ratio right you'll get either massive exhaust overheat or thick palls of smoke out the back (depending which way it goes with mixture to try and compensate).
Old 01-11-2011, 02:57 AM   #10
lmclamore
Citation Collector

Oddometer: 404
Why would there be oil in the airboxes though?
Old 01-11-2011, 03:46 AM   #11
Lounge
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
I'm not 100% sure but I would think that the F8 has a similar scavenging/PCV circuit as any modern, emissions regulated motor does.

I'm working overseas right now so I can't check mine, but I would bet that (to differing degrees of course) most F8's will have some sort of oil residue in the airbox.

I'd be more worried about fixing the sputtering and stalling first, then keep an eye on the oil levels after it was running correctly.

Hope you get it sorted out - my money is on bad fuel as well.

Just my $0.02.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:32 AM   #12
Animo
Beastly n00b

Oddometer: 4,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTown View Post
what's your altitude?
Trujillio is at sea level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucko View Post
I'm not one to attribute every mechanical malady to bad gas, but it sure sounds like you got a batch if it happened soon after a fill-up and both bikes have similar symptoms. The culprit could be water or low octane fuel (pinging might be what you're hearing on hard throttle) or something other than gasoline came along in your last fill-up. My guess is that your 'fuel' was diluted/contaminated with something cheaper. Since you're near sea level the bikes will want high-octane fuel to prevent pinging.
^^^^ + 1 on that. Drain the tanks, refill, add octain boost.

Yucatan | Chiapas | Belize 1 | Belize 2 | QRoo | Guanajuato
Animo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:38 AM   #13
puckinet
Safety third

Oddometer: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmclamore View Post
Why would there be oil in the airboxes though?
Pre ignition can cause exsive oil in the air box caused by low octane fuel on heavy loads.

08 KTM 450 EXCR
2010 BMW F800GS
Rick
puckinet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:07 AM   #14
betitolara OP
ADV rider wannabe

Oddometer: 778
Cry Muchas gracias!

Thanks to every one for your input. We'll now drain our tanks, put 97 octane gas in one of the bikes than put a octane booster and a injector's cleaner.

Will report back witht the results. Keep the advice coming in the meantime.

One thing that I forgot to mention is the oil leaking/running down most likely coming from the air-filter chamber's draining hose (usually used for letting fumes scape, i'm guessing?). This is happening to both bikes.

The 'metal' pounding noise coming from the bottom part of the engines, where the letters 'BMW' are (bellow the twin cylinders) on the left side (chain and sprockets side).

Cheers guys,
Alberto.
betitolara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:19 AM   #15
switch
Romanian Trailbiker

Oddometer: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by betitolara View Post
Thanks to every one for your input. We'll now drain our tanks, put 97 octane gas in one of the bikes than put a octane booster and a injector's cleaner.

Will report back witht the results. Keep the advice coming in the meantime.

One thing that I forgot to mention is the oil leaking/running down most likely coming from the air-filter chamber's draining hose (usually used for letting fumes scape, i'm guessing?). This is happening to both bikes.

The 'metal' pounding noise coming from the bottom part of the engines, where the letters 'BMW' are (bellow the twin cylinders) on the left side (chain and sprockets side).

Cheers guys,
Alberto.
Noise = pinging. Caused by bad fuel and high load.
Problem cause = bad gas.
Solution = drain + put in good gas + injector cleaner.

97+octane booster isn't a bit of overkill? :)