User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2014, 06:48 PM   #1
przjohn OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
1975 Honda CB400F

Started the teardown of the CB400F that toomanybikesmike of the NEdirtbikes site found for me this past Summer. This restore may take a bit longer than usual as I am also redoing the garage at home. The plan is to have it ready for Deals Gap first week of May next year. It is an ambitious goal and may require a bit of "Playing Hookie" from work. I give it a 50/50 right now. Winter is a long time of year unless you have a deadline to get a bike built. Some before pics of the bike.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Half a day today and here is where we are at. Whenever I start a new project the shop has to get reorganized and ready so that takes me a little time. The hope is tomorrow to have powdercoat and chrome ready to go out. Paint will still need to have the tank cleaned and lined so I am hoping to get that done during the week and have it to the painter right after new year's. Those are the long lead items and getting them out quick should help out a lot.

[/IMG]
przjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 11:28 AM   #2
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,615
Keep that thread going.....somewhere under that pile there is a CB400F and the owner won't sell it to me. Or the two running/plated CT90s either.

But he is a nice guy so I was trying to convince him that it may be time to resto that CB400F and certainly keep the period correct saddlebags.I think he'd need your thread for some incentive after a lot of digging. Not sure about the roll up blind he installed back then over the rear rack but it worked well for him.....unroll and there you go, instant bike cover kept the seat dry he said.

And the pile, looks light but goes right up to the ceiling.

Old 12-21-2014, 03:04 PM   #3
przjohn OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Today got powder coat and chrome ready to go out. Powder coat usually onlt takes a few days but with the holidays and all it should be back after the first. Hopefully chrome will be back within 6 weeks thought the bike won't be ready for it, would be nice to have it on the shelf anyway.

[/IMG]

The tank also got cleaned, it had a fair amount of rust in it. My process is;

1. Pour out old gas and rinse with water.
2. Acetone and sheet metal screws.
3. 50/50 Muriatic Acid and screws.
3. Bicarb of Soda rinse.
4. Water rinse till clear.

Put it on the hair dryer for a few hours and will let it dry for a week in a heated room before installing the Caswell Tank Lining Kit.

[/IMG]

Also started on the wheels. The rear bearing retainer came out with my Motion Pro tool, heat, and an impact wrench. This front wheel retainer I still need a tool for as the MP one doesn't fit it, still need to research that. Anybody got the trick for that, or where you can get the proper tool?

[/IMG]

The bunch of goodies I have been collecting for a few months.

[/IMG]
Old 12-21-2014, 07:00 PM   #4
10ecjed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
Engine

Thanks for starting this thread. I have 400F engine in the garage that needs to run again. Maybe I Gould sell it then. Are you going to do any mods on the engine?
Old 12-22-2014, 05:10 AM   #5
przjohn OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10ecjed View Post
Thanks for starting this thread. I have 400F engine in the garage that needs to run again. Maybe I Gould sell it then. Are you going to do any mods on the engine?
No, I am going for a total stock look and motor.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:48 AM   #6
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,615

Hammer and punch like in the old days? Yeah....I used to work for a Honda dealer when them bikes were pretty new, he wasn't one to buy too many special tools.

You are looking for a "castle nut socket". Depending on size you may be lucky at a good autoparts store or tool store. You may have to modify it some.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:05 AM   #7
Lotus54
Ngana

Oddometer: 180
I had a 400/4 new. It was the one with the low bars and slightly rearset pegs.
I think '75- red.

Fun bike, I traded it for a Benelli 650 twin (even more fun!)

I have an airbox still foe the 400 if you need one. I foolishly took it off.
Learned some lessons with that bike.
Old 12-26-2014, 03:42 PM   #8
przjohn OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Got started on a few things that will lead up to a rolling chassis. This is my modified "Hack" method for removing the cush drive bushings. Basically it involves jamming a drill bit into the drive and heating the bejesus out of it, then the Cold Chisel method is applied. All those years of apprenticeship, patience, and methods go out the window. End result is all 4 are out.

[/IMG]

I have always torn down wheels and saved the spokes, why? This bike gets a whole new process.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Rear hub polished.

[/IMG]

Also got to the front forks today. One of the lower Allen bolts securing the damper rod to the lower leg was stripped so that took some drilling and and EZOut. A 40 year old bike is bound to have a few Gremlins from previous repairs. I thought I had ordered new tubes but was wrong and will wait for the new tubes before putting the legs back together.

[/IMG]
Old 12-26-2014, 07:43 PM   #9
brucifer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,427
Nice!
Old 12-27-2014, 05:41 AM   #10
mikemotoxing
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Glad I found this John.... thought I was going to miss the build thread now that NEDB is gone.... Keep in mind the bike shall remain BLUE! .....Mike ( the artist formerly known as too many bikes....)
mikemotoxing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 06:39 AM   #11
przjohn OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemotoxing View Post
Glad I found this John.... thought I was going to miss the build thread now that NEDB is gone.... Keep in mind the bike shall remain BLUE! .....Mike ( the artist formerly known as too many bikes....)
I promise it won't be Yellow.
Old 12-29-2014, 12:40 AM   #12
swarfie
Classic S/Car Racer

Oddometer: 58
My Dad bought a blue CB400F new in 1976 and did 31k kilometres on it before selling it to me in 1983. It was in beautiful condition and I gave him the original new purchase price of $1865NZ. This included a chromed rear carrier and matching blue fibre-glass panniers and a replica Suzuki GS450 half fairing. My wife and I toured all over both the North Island and the South Island in NZ and I rode the pants off it on all my favourite back country twisty roads. I kept it in mint condition, put new pipes on it and made a press tool to make a new replica muffler in stainless steel. I restored my 1967 Velocette Venom MKII Clubman in 1997 and loved it so much I seldom rode the little Honda much after that. Sold the CB for $4500NZ, which was huge money in 2003 (but it was like new with 56K on the clock). Do miss it a little now but I've got better bikes in the garage to take up my riding time. I still have the panniers which sometimes get used on my 1966 Velocette Thruxton when touring on that.
The Honda was and still are a great little bike...hope it brings you as much pleasure as our one did.

FYI, the NZ versions had much lower rise handle bars and the smaller diameter/rounder shaped earlier indicators than the ones on your Stateside models. Also the seat cover was black but I guess a previous owner has recovered yours in tan/red vinyl. They don't start going until 6000RPM and always felt like I was wringing it's neck, but she never complained or gave any trouble.

swarfie screwed with this post 12-29-2014 at 12:51 AM
swarfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 09:12 AM   #13
Skowinski
Deuterostome

Oddometer: 5,628
Jealous. I bought a 75 model 400 used, for $250 in 1986. It was running, but needed some work. I was going to restore it, but at the time was moving a lot, different jobs, and didn't have much money. Eventually, about 7 years later I sold it for $400 when I decided I'd never get around to working on it. I regret that now.
Old 12-30-2014, 08:40 AM   #14
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 9,129
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 09:47 PM   #15
thirsty 1
Rider

Oddometer: 82
I rebuilt one of these last winter. :) Post up if you have questions. I'll do my best.

thirsty 1 is offline   Reply With Quote