Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter_greyghost View Post
My two old beasties, 1981 SH Special [Tourer] & 1975 XSB [Adventure]

Cheers
Baza
Hey baza, would you care to elaborate on the extra light set up? How much extra wattage? how bright? any mods required? How long can you run them before severely taxing the charging system? ANY info will be carefully appreciated...
richsuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 05:30 AM   #257
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer: 8,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by richsuz View Post
Hey baza, would you care to elaborate on the extra light set up? How much extra wattage? how bright? any mods required? How long can you run them before severely taxing the charging system? ANY info will be carefully appreciated...
Basically I run a standard system,

Regulator & Rectifier have been replaced a solid-state regulator/rectifier unit from MikesXS,
make sure all your wiring harness/connectors/lights are in good condition [& kept that way],
buy a good quality battery[listen to the gossip, you'll work out which one works!],

your alternator on an XS is it's biggest downfall, brushes - very important, your internal wiring harness - learn how to test this with multimeter, this is a 3 phase alternator with brushes [lots to go wrong!], learn how to check your stator fields for abnormalities, I'm hoping to upgrade the alternator to a brushless version soon!,
buy a manual [if you haven't got one!] & read it - cover to cover - handy knowledge in there, learn to apply this knowledge, what's the worse you can do?
simple old system that works if you look after it, check everything @ your regular oil change workover, preventive medicine it's called sometimes!

Ok, 'Kenny Krazyhorse' as everybody knows it over my way, is a standard '74 TXA [some parts have been added ], I run two cheap-as-chips lights [Auto Pro] either side of the headlight, 55watt QH bulb, nice spread, not world beaters but I like the spread of light, allows me to see 'roos & other livestock on our roads around here,

My '81 Special 'Tourer' uses a pair of Swedish [Rally?] lights which again have a broad beam of light, better quality of manufacture [$40 - swapmeet bargains!] with a definately better coverage on the road, still only using 55 watt QH bulbs,
Important Note;- make sure you use a proper relay system & wiring system, yep they'll work if you hook them up to your battery [with a switch!] but you'll find out in the long run - less hassles with burning out wiring if you do it properly!

I also use a voltage meter [coloured leds, saves putting on glasses!] from MikesXS to moniter charging system, hope this helps.
Cheers
Baza

hunter_greyghost screwed with this post 04-14-2011 at 06:41 AM
hunter_greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 06:43 AM   #258
richsuz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter_greyghost View Post
Basically I run a standard system,

Regulator & Rectifier have been replaced a solid-state regulator/rectifier unit from MikesXS,
make sure all your wiring harness/connectors/lights are in good condition [& kept that way],
buy a good quality battery[listen to the gossip, you'll work out which one works!],

your alternator on an XS is it's biggest downfall, brushes - very important, your internal wiring harness - learn how to test this with multimeter, this is a 3 phase alternator with brushes [lots to go wrong!], learn how to check your stator fields for abnormalities, I'm hoping to upgrade the alternator to a brushless version soon!,
buy a manual [if you haven't got one!] & read it - cover to cover - handy knowledge in there, learn to apply this knowledge, what's the worse you can do?
simple oldsystem that work if you look after it, check everything @ your regular oil change workover, preventive medicine it's called sometimes!

Ok, 'Kenny Krazyhorse' as everybody knows it over my way, is a standard '74 TXA [some parts have been added ], I run two cheap-as-chips lights either side of the headlight, 55watt QH bulb, nice spread, not world beaters but I like the spread of light, allows me to see 'roos & other livestock on our roads around here,

My '81 Special 'Tourer' uses a pair of Swedish [Rally?] lights which again have a broad beam of light, better quality of manufacture [$40 - swapmeet bargains!] with a definately better coverage on the road, still only using 55 watt QH bulbs,
Important Note;- make sure you use a proper relay system & wiring system, yep they'll work if you hook them up to your battery [with a switch!] but you'll find out in the long run - less hassles with burning out wiring if you do it properly!

I also use a voltage meter [coloured leds, saves putting on glasses!] from MikesXS to moniter charging system, hope this helps.
Cheers
Baza
It did, but the question of how long you could use the extra lighting was not addressed. 110 extra watts! 165 watts just to illuminate the road. Is there enough left to run the rest of bike? How low do you let the battery go, before switching off the lights?
richsuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 03:19 PM   #259
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsuz View Post
It did, but the question of how long you could use the extra lighting was not addressed. 110 extra watts! 165 watts just to illuminate the road. Is there enough left to run the rest of bike? How low do you let the battery go, before switching off the lights?
If travelling @ 100kmh then system should be pumping out plenty of juice - no problems, ride to the end of the road [so to speak]
if you have a voltage meter of some sort, then you go by it's information, [green-good, yellow-bad, red-rooted],
slower speeds are where you need a voltage meter, @ slower speeds use less lights! My headlight is also a QH insert, quite adequate for low speed work,
I have my lights wired so I can drop one light out as needed,
There is no hard & fast rule/time for useage, original systems will 'tell' you when things aren't right, usually the bike will start backfiring/missing/farting, that's an indication of low battery status, which indicates that you have a crook system or you're not reading the signs from your bike,
have been caught out by a 'glassmatt battery, these batteries are similar in habit to Lithium batteries, will run & then drop, dead as a door nail, if your charging system is not 100% [& you don't have a voltage meter!]
Again, I can't say it enough, learn to understand your bikes' internal system, do your own maintenance & repairs,
this may sound very holistic [or nutty!] but learn to 'feel' your bike & what's happening when you're riding it, understand the noises & vibrations @ certain revs,
if this doesn't help then consult a 'friendly' auto electrican who might set you on the right path, but be prepared for a learning curve, do you do your own repairs/maintenance?
Cheers
Baza
Old 04-16-2011, 10:16 AM   #260
PistonHead
n00b

Oddometer: 1
id love to see more xs650 scrambles type bikes. iv been working on one this winter and shes almost done. ill try and get some pics up.
PistonHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 02:26 AM   #261
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistonHead View Post
id love to see more xs650 scrambles type bikes. iv been working on one this winter and shes almost done. ill try and get some pics up.

Here's one of my attempts @ enduro, Bateman's Bay Apex Ride [July 2009],

Cheers
Baza
Old 04-17-2011, 06:54 AM   #262
farmer fred
Banned

Oddometer: 1,488
I've had two XS650s, a 72 and a 77. I need to get another one!

Some of the AHRMA 650s are pretty slick:

farmer fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 02:40 PM   #263
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Photo from Auto Italia in Canberra yesterday, Bev [Mrs Ghost] & I with Dave [davorallyfan] in front of ordinary looking Fiats?

Cheers
Baza
Old 04-20-2011, 05:48 PM   #264
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Bump,
Need an XS fix! any projects on the go?

Cheers
Baza
Old 04-20-2011, 06:35 PM   #265
2manyrides
shifty charactor

Oddometer: 1,595
yes

Standby...

But don't hold your breath...

and here's my channel...
http://www.youtube.com/user/2manyrides?feature=mhsn#p/u
2manyrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 12:55 AM   #266
jamesgs4
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 480
Mine got a minor facelift this spring, just a few more little improvements and it will be complete for the summer.

jamesgs4 screwed with this post 04-21-2011 at 07:59 AM
jamesgs4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 05:33 AM   #267
plugeye
mc caregiver

Oddometer: 3,575
done as in over?
plugeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 05:48 AM   #268
SPEIRMOOR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Love the solid rear wheel James. Sharp headlight too.Does it throw much light?
SPEIRMOOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 05:57 AM   #269
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEIRMOOR View Post
Love the solid rear wheel James. Sharp headlight too.Does it throw much light?
Is that a solid wheel, or "hubcaps"?

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 06:26 AM   #270
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

One from a month ago, out dirt road riding with motely crew!

'83 XT600, '84 TT600 as well as my '81 XS650SH [only roadie!]
Cheers
Baza