jamesgs4
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
Is that a solid wheel, or "hubcaps"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEIRMOOR View Post
Love the solid rear wheel James. Sharp headlight too.Does it throw much light?
The rear wheel has mooneyes caps, the headlight is really bright with the HID kit I installed, but even when it had a normal h3 bulb it had a good pattern and lit the road up well.
jamesgs4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 02:06 PM   #272
Houseoffubar
fine beer sampler

Oddometer: 1,758
Hello XS affectionados, I have a little tech/fitment question to ask.
I have been told that a Ducati 900 front brake disc will fit the XS front hub!?!

Can anyone verify this, before I buy a disc, to experiment with?
I do not care about offset, or caliper fitment, as I'm making a custom front end, that can make up for this. For my purposes, I just need to know of the bolt pattern, and center hole work.
Thanks for your help!
Old 04-22-2011, 02:35 PM   #273
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer: 7,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houseoffubar View Post
Hello XS affectionados, I have a little tech/fitment question to ask.
I have been told that a Ducati 900 front brake disc will fit the XS front hub!?!

Can anyone verify this, before I buy a disc, to experiment with?
I do not care about offset, or caliper fitment, as I'm making a custom front end, that can make up for this. For my purposes, I just need to know of the bolt pattern, and center hole work.
Thanks for your help!
If you're building? then take the disc with you to compare bolt holes, etc. I presume you have MC wreckers in your neck of the woods or have they been cleaned out of all old stuff, don't know what the scene is over there?
What about these from www.650central
Bottom one is a Brembo

Hope that helps
Cheers
Baza

hunter_greyghost screwed with this post 04-22-2011 at 02:40 PM
hunter_greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 06:33 PM   #274
Houseoffubar
fine beer sampler

Oddometer: 1,758
Thanks for the help! I don't have a rotor to compare, and am hoping to buy a cheap used rotor off ebay, that will improve the braking. That one on 650 central looks nice, but I'm trying to build cheap.
Old 04-24-2011, 06:02 AM   #275
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Quote:
Thanks for the help! I don't have a rotor to compare, and am hoping to buy a cheap used rotor off ebay, that will improve the braking. That one on 650 central looks nice, but I'm trying to build cheap.
XS1100 discs fit later model ['77 on] XS650s, anything with 35mm forks I've found, difference is in depth of disc's dish, you'll also notice a difference in the disc 'spokes' between '74-'76 compared to '77 onwards

Photo from this W/E's 'Autumn Leaf' Rally near Canberra, thread site below if you want to check it out, www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=675791

Cheers
Baza

hunter_greyghost screwed with this post 04-24-2011 at 06:08 AM
Old 04-27-2011, 01:51 PM   #276
buffaloborn OP
EAT WINGS OR DIE

Oddometer: 57
I've been out every day on my bike since it's gone above 45! I am liking this bike more and more. I hopped on my buddy's Sporty 883, and took her for a spin around the block, and decided that I like my XS much more. Felt like mine had a personality of sorts.

Anyways, my bike needs a new set of shoes. I'm gonna be going on the stock 83' spoked rims. I'm looking at the Bridgestone Spitfires, as they get really good reviews and seem to wear really well. I had my heart set on some Dunlop k70's, but couldn't find any in the rear size for a 16' rim.

Does anyone have any recommendations for tires? I'm running 3.50s 19-4pr in front (100/90 19) and 130/90 16 in rear.
Old 04-27-2011, 02:09 PM   #277
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffaloborn View Post
I've been out every day on my bike since it's gone above 45! I am liking this bike more and more. I hopped on my buddy's Sporty 883, and took her for a spin around the block, and decided that I like my XS much more. Felt like mine had a personality of sorts.

Anyways, my bike needs a new set of shoes. I'm gonna be going on the stock 83' spoked rims. I'm looking at the Bridgestone Spitfires, as they get really good reviews and seem to wear really well. I had my heart set on some Dunlop k70's, but couldn't find any in the rear size for a 16' rim.

Does anyone have any recommendations for tires? I'm running 3.50s 19-4pr in front (100/90 19) and 130/90 16 in rear.
Have a look for a 130x16" Dunlop K460, good allround tyre which does the job!

Good wearing [about 5thou km], great off-road ability & nice manners on tar, what more do you need?
Dunlop also make 90/100 x 19" K460, but I've not had one so can't comment but should be allright on the front, will try one soon.
Cheers
Baza

hunter_greyghost screwed with this post 04-27-2011 at 02:17 PM
Old 04-27-2011, 02:22 PM   #278
buffaloborn OP
EAT WINGS OR DIE

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter_greyghost View Post
Have a look for a 130x16" Dunlop K460, good allround tyre which does the job!

Good wearing [about 5thou km], great off-road ability & nice manners on tar, what more do you need?
Dunlop also make 90/100 x 19" K460, but I've not had one so can't comment but should be allright on the front, will try one soon.
Cheers
Baza
thanks baza. i think that's a little too aggressive for me though. I'm probably going to tackle some fire/dirt roads once or twice a year. your bikes are badass though, and look as though they are from road warrior.
Old 04-27-2011, 02:38 PM   #279
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffaloborn View Post
thanks baza. i think that's a little too aggressive for me though. I'm probably going to tackle some fire/dirt roads once or twice a year. your bikes are badass though, and look as though they are from road warrior.
Not really road warrior stuff, just standard mods for riding where I go, I probably do more dirt work than most XS650 riders,
August 2012 will be the real test, Off Centre Rally is @ Bramwell Station in north Queensland, real outback stuff, crocadiles in the river crossings, etc.
If you look on the maps, it's 250kms south of the tip of Cape York, [northern tip of Australia], will be towing a trailer soon in preparation for this one! About 8,000kms round trip, allowing a month to do it, about half on dirt.

Look @ Metzler ME880 as a road tyre, very good stuff!

Cheers
Baza
Old 04-27-2011, 06:45 PM   #280
buffaloborn OP
EAT WINGS OR DIE

i bit the bullet and bought the bridgestone spitfires. i'll let you know how they work out.
Old 05-01-2011, 03:59 AM   #281
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Went for another ride,check it out
www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=683065

Cheers
Baza
Old 05-06-2011, 03:41 AM   #282
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Packed & ready to roll in the morning
heading out to Tarago east of here for the "Loaded Dog" rally,

Probably post photos & story Monday night [ Aussie time!]
Cheers
Baza
Old 05-08-2011, 03:51 PM   #283
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

New rally photos to look at, 'Loaded Dog' - Tarago, N.S.W., Australia

www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=675031
had a great time!, & plenty of old bikes too!
Cheers
Baza
Old 05-11-2011, 03:20 AM   #284
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Anybody else been riding lately? Spring in Northern Climates isn't it?

Cheers
Baza
Old 05-11-2011, 08:13 PM   #285
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,104
Quote:
I have the bones of a YZF 1000 and the disc have the same bolt pattern. It's an 88 or 89.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote