Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2011, 08:48 AM   #301
buffaloborn OP
EAT WINGS OR DIE

Oddometer: 57
Felt a slight wobble yesterday in my front wheel. I took it over to the shop that installed and balanced the tires (only 300 miles on them). The guy looked at the bike, and took it into the back.

He came out about twenty minutes later, with a sullen look on his face. He told me " The bead on the edge of the tire wasn't correctly alligned with the wheel when it was installed, causing a wobble. We're sorry about that".

Being new to motorcycling, how dangerous was this? It wasnt a horrible wobble, but I felt it getting noticebly worse as the rides got longer and as I went faster. I probably shouldnt go back to the guy, eh?
Old 06-02-2011, 09:39 AM   #302
LasseNC
XSessive!

Oddometer: 1,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffaloborn View Post
Felt a slight wobble yesterday in my front wheel. I took it over to the shop that installed and balanced the tires (only 300 miles on them). The guy looked at the bike, and took it into the back.

He came out about twenty minutes later, with a sullen look on his face. He told me " The bead on the edge of the tire wasn't correctly alligned with the wheel when it was installed, causing a wobble. We're sorry about that".

Being new to motorcycling, how dangerous was this? It wasnt a horrible wobble, but I felt it getting noticebly worse as the rides got longer and as I went faster. I probably shouldnt go back to the guy, eh?
I wouldn't say it is dangerous really, but it IS uncomfortable, I'll agree to that.

Had a tyre on my XS when I got it, which had been mounted like yours and sat for five years, wasn't able to save it. Got a new tyre instead.

I'd suggest you learn to change your own tyres. Someday you WILL need it :)

Plus, it's more money in the hand for petrol and trips!
LasseNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 06:55 AM   #303
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer: 8,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG ED XT FAN View Post
Baza, You are a long time XS 650 rider!! My street bikes over the years were SR 500s, 1200 yamaha touring bike, XS 1100, and more SR500s!!. I have 2 XS 650 right now. 2 spare motors, found for $ 25.00 for both!!!
Ride safe, ED
Yep, it's been an interesting ride through the years, shit I'm starting to sound like Sam Elliot [top acter!], doing a introduction at the start of a movie.
Dunno how many XS650's I've had, '74 850T Guzzi, '60 R50S BMW, '74 GT750 Suzuki Waterbottle outfit, CB350 Honda ['69], variety of Honda & Yamaha trailbikes, Suzuki AG bikes,
Got into 4WD's & Amphibous 6WD/8WD [Canadian 'Argo', an interesting little vehicle which I've still got!]
Cheers [gone hunting photos!]
Baza
hunter_greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 07:32 AM   #304
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

A few photos of a bike for sale over here, very nice!

Cheers
Baza
Old 06-05-2011, 10:42 AM   #305
Houseoffubar
fine beer sampler

Oddometer: 1,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffaloborn View Post

Every shop screws up, having worked at a few, I can say almost none will fess up to their own mistake. I would give this shop another chance just because they might actually be honest. This is a rare thing these days!
Also I suspect he means the tire was not completely seated on the bead. This is an easy thing to do, and/or miss on tube type tires. An honest mistake for sure! My2c
Old 06-05-2011, 11:32 AM   #306
DoktorT
BigBrowedNeandereer

Oddometer: 1,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter_greyghost View Post
A few photos of a bike for sale over here, very nice!

Cheers
Baza
Very clean. I am starting to watch my area for one of these to serve for street use and short range day rides. I like the look and am getting the impression that a donor/project or nicely done ready to go example can be had for very low coins. $500 complete project with $1000 added for parts and some sweat equity and a safe and reliable classic cruiser seems quite possible. I've see several suggesting 10k or less miles. These 650's were quite inexpensive new and I think a lot of them got bought on a whim, ridden short miles for a year or two, then garaged when the battery went dead. Won't start, shove it in the corner and fergedaboutit.
DoktorT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 12:05 PM   #307
DoktorT
BigBrowedNeandereer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houseoffubar View Post
Every shop screws up, having worked at a few, I can say almost none will fess up to their own mistake. I would give this shop another chance just because they might actually be honest. This is a rare thing these days!
Also I suspect he means the tire was not completely seated on the bead. This is an easy thing to do, and/or miss on tube type tires. An honest mistake for sure! My2c
I must suggest that anyone who mounts a new tire and does not specifically VERIFY full seating of the bead on both sides is incompetant, by definition. Even if he is an appretice, he should have final help and inspection by a journeyman supervisor who can point out the causes and solutions BEFORE remounting the wheel on the machine.

Looks like in this case they are following up properly. Bet they will follow up with whoever fouled up the job. Teach him or fire him, depending upon whether it is the first time or second. I would be all over the shop supervisor on this as well if it were my operation and it happened a second time. Absolute min of 90 days probation.

Always inspect the work BEFORE you pay. I do and I would have seen this kind of defect BEFORE I took it off the stand. You can do likewise, and be a friendly as a puppy doing it.

Sometimes when you pull the old tire you have rubber remnants around the rim. If you hire the cheaper tire changers in town, they will spend not one second to clean the rim properly, just slap on the new tire. It can take me anywhere from 5 minutes to 45 minutes to do the neccessary cleaning and preparation of the rim. It just is not a lump sum job.

Some n00b pays $25 for a tire change, then a week later sees someone that does the same lame service for $20, then screams how he was screwed. Gimma a break.

Takes only tire irons, wire brushes, cleaning supplies, and tire lube to do your own.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:05 PM   #308
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoktorT View Post
Very clean. I am starting to watch my area for one of these to serve for street use and short range day rides. I like the look and am getting the impression that a donor/project or nicely done ready to go example can be had for very low coins. $500 complete project with $1000 added for parts and some sweat equity and a safe and reliable classic cruiser seems quite possible. I've see several suggesting 10k or less miles. These 650's were quite inexpensive new and I think a lot of them got bought on a whim, ridden short miles for a year or two, then garaged when the battery went dead. Won't start, shove it in the corner and fergedaboutit.
Dream on old son, over here [Australia - $], it's more like $3,000+ for a basket case, $6,000+ for anything registered & going, & up to $15,000 for the optomistic wankers.

This looks like good value @ $5,500 [AUS]

Hope you don't take offence but I'd would love to find a $500 basketcase to rebuild, I spent over $6,500 on both my bikes in parts alone [I do my own spannerwork], the Special SH was $2,800 [he had $3,500 on it], & 'Kenny Krazyhorse' cost $1,800 [approx], both were going but very sad cases,
Cheers
Baza

hunter_greyghost screwed with this post 06-05-2011 at 04:51 PM
Old 06-06-2011, 10:24 AM   #309
eric123
Gott Mit Uns

Oddometer: 1,477

The most I have ever paid for an XS650 was $900 for a mint '79 Special. I have paid as little as $25 for a parts bike. The average prices I have paid over the years for a titled runner was $300-$500. I haven't bought one in a few years though. I have just been selling off my stock of them...
eric123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 04:22 PM   #310
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric123 View Post

The most I have ever paid for an XS650 was $900 for a mint '79 Special. I have paid as little as $25 for a parts bike. The average prices I have paid over the years for a titled runner was $300-$500. I haven't bought one in a few years though. I have just been selling off my stock of them...
Been a long time since those sort of prices down here
lots of 'barn' finds coming onto the market,
if they've been stored for years, they need a complete overhaul,
crazy market @ the moment, that one I posted is probably really good buy
Cheers
Baza
Old 06-06-2011, 06:24 PM   #311
DoktorT
BigBrowedNeandereer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric123 View Post

Bet there are 10 times as many in the US vs Australia. That would explain the difference in market values.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:22 PM   #312
Houseoffubar
fine beer sampler

Oddometer: 1,767
Although I agree with what your saying, I have also worked at several bike shops, as a mechanic, and only a few people I have met give a damn, and slap the tire on, and down the road with barely a glance. I've worked with "techs" who left of both front calipers, and caused a customer to crash badly. Not only was the tech not reprimanded, the service manager charged the customer for the repairs!!! This was at a "reputable dealership" I totally agree, and have never sent tires out in the shape described, but most shops will, which is why I no longer work at dealerships. But this is the norm, I'm afraid, so his shop is no worse than the next. I also agree "do it yourself"!

Quote:
I must suggest that anyone who mounts a new tire and does not specifically VERIFY full seating of the bead on both sides is incompetant, by definition. Even if he is an appretice, he should have final help and inspection by a journeyman supervisor who can point out the causes and solutions BEFORE remounting the wheel on the machine.

Looks like in this case they are following up properly. Bet they will follow up with whoever fouled up the job. Teach him or fire him, depending upon whether it is the first time or second. I would be all over the shop supervisor on this as well if it were my operation and it happened a second time. Absolute min of 90 days probation.

Always inspect the work BEFORE you pay. I do and I would have seen this kind of defect BEFORE I took it off the stand. You can do likewise, and be a friendly as a puppy doing it.

Sometimes when you pull the old tire you have rubber remnants around the rim. If you hire the cheaper tire changers in town, they will spend not one second to clean the rim properly, just slap on the new tire. It can take me anywhere from 5 minutes to 45 minutes to do the neccessary cleaning and preparation of the rim. It just is not a lump sum job.

Some n00b pays $25 for a tire change, then a week later sees someone that does the same lame service for $20, then screams how he was screwed. Gimma a break.

Takes only tire irons, wire brushes, cleaning supplies, and tire lube to do your own.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:19 AM   #313
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Quote:
Bet there are 10 times as many in the US vs Australia. That would explain the difference in market values.

Think you're on the money there, maybe more,
If I ever win the lottery, I'll be over for a container load!
Might even run around catching up with everyone, on an XS650 of course!
Cheers
Baza
Old 06-07-2011, 01:19 AM   #314
DoktorT
BigBrowedNeandereer

[QUOTE=Houseoffubar;16102829]Although I agree with what your saying, I have also worked at several bike shops, as a mechanic, and only a few people I have met give a damn, and slap the tire on, and down the road with barely a glance.

Indeed, all the shops have fallen into price based competition. Everybody wants to pay less. The owner thinks he has to offer tire change labor for $25. Mayby one in three jobs can make a small profit at that price and all was done right. The other 2 jobs do not get even a little bit of extra attention they need to be right. How much profit is lost to comebacks. None, if you baffle them with BS and write a new service order to fix it.

Look at all the flyers floating around "Full brake job $99!!!" You cannot buy OEM quality pads for a cage for $99. The upsale is what their after. The DELUXE service costs twice as much but has the 2nd cheapest pads available in the world. For sure then will cut 20k miles off the rotors everytime whether they need it or not. Sell lots more rotors that way. And they make up lots of extra profit by charging OEM prices for the cheapest rotors on the market.

In a word, CHARLETANISM, no different today that it has been since Moses. Snake Oyl services are becoming the norm.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:17 PM   #315
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

[QUOTE=DoktorT;16103168]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houseoffubar View Post
Although I agree with what your saying, I have also worked at several bike shops, as a mechanic, and only a few people I have met give a damn, and slap the tire on, and down the road with barely a glance.

Indeed, all the shops have fallen into price based competition. Everybody wants to pay less. The owner thinks he has to offer tire change labor for $25. Mayby one in three jobs can make a small profit at that price and all was done right. The other 2 jobs do not get even a little bit of extra attention they need to be right. How much profit is lost to comebacks. None, if you baffle them with BS and write a new service order to fix it.

Look at all the flyers floating around "Full brake job $99!!!" You cannot buy OEM quality pads for a cage for $99. The upsale is what their after. The DELUXE service costs twice as much but has the 2nd cheapest pads available in the world. For sure then will cut 20k miles off the rotors everytime whether they need it or not. Sell lots more rotors that way. And they make up lots of extra profit by charging OEM prices for the cheapest rotors on the market.

In a word, CHARLETANISM, no different today that it has been since Moses. Snake Oyl services are becoming the norm.
Do as much of the spannerwork myself, tyre changes are fairly simple in a workshop, compared to out in the scrub somewhere!
Cheers
Baza