Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2011, 03:06 PM   #391
nsu max
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter_greyghost View Post
What does everyone reccommend for lubing clutch cables these days?

Had a frozen clutch cable @ 0600 this morning, our winters aren't as severe here but we still get -10c on a regular basis, had to ride home without a clutch [which is no dramas to me, do it all the time]
Cheers
Baza
On my ice racer I give my clutch and throttle cables a shot of WD 40 during the weekly maintainance ritual. I use one of the cable lube attachments and spray till it comes out the other end. I know WD 40 is a bit thin but it's worked for me for 40 years. Summer time I use what I have at hand.
nsu max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 05:24 PM   #392
JeffS77
cheap bastard

Oddometer: 3,193
I race with this guy last month..i forgot his name but i remember he was from Arizona

JeffS77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 03:56 AM   #393
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer: 7,632

Guards & lights back on [wiring to be done], bike towbar still to be mounted [seen in trailer]

Gotta build one of these swivel hitches
Cheers
Baza
hunter_greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 01:25 AM   #394
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Finished apart from wiring

Lastest in a looooooong list of crazy ideas,
let you know how it rides later in the week!
Cheers
Baza
Old 08-15-2011, 09:17 AM   #395
buffaloborn OP
EAT WINGS OR DIE

Oddometer: 57
sad sad days are upon me. My XS650 is making a very funny noise. I'll paste what I wrote to an XS650.com member in a private message. Maybe someone can assist me.

"Hey Bob,

Thanks for getting back to me about my power issue. I swapped out the plugs, and changed the oil, and she was getting into the 70s with no hesitation.

I ran into an issue the other day however. On Saturday I ran down to Allegany to take a little afternoon cruise. Everything was fine getting down there, but i started to notice her realllllllllllllly hesitating on some steep inclines. She also started to shift really hard. I pulled off to check the oil, and it looked fine, with normal level. I took a little walk at Thunder Rocks and to let the bike cool down and came back to check the oil, which was still fine, and at a good level.

When I left the park, the bike started making a really loud pronounced whine/whirr/buzz sound. Like really high pitched. . I rode it back, and it hardly went over 55 mph. I took it really easy, because I was afraid of the bike seizing up or something.

I'm worried that what I have now is an engine issue. I don't really have the mechanical skills at this point to diagnose anything. I'm getting married in two weeks, and don't have the extra scratch to have the thing diagnosed by a mechanic even. Have you ever run into any issues like this? I'm hoping it's just an issue related to the cam chain being too tight or something like that, that can be adjusted without taking the whole thing apart. If you ever are in the Tonawanda area, and want to hear this bizarre noise let me know. I'm a little nervous to ride her down to Hamburg at this point in time. My number is_________.

Thanks again Bob,

Charlie "
Old 08-15-2011, 12:37 PM   #396
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffaloborn View Post
sad sad days are upon me. My XS650 is making a very funny noise. I'll paste what I wrote to an XS650.com member in a private message. Maybe someone can assist me.

"Hey Bob,

Thanks for getting back to me about my power issue. I swapped out the plugs, and changed the oil, and she was getting into the 70s with no hesitation.

I ran into an issue the other day however. On Saturday I ran down to Allegany to take a little afternoon cruise. Everything was fine getting down there, but i started to notice her realllllllllllllly hesitating on some steep inclines. She also started to shift really hard. I pulled off to check the oil, and it looked fine, with normal level. I took a little walk at Thunder Rocks and to let the bike cool down and came back to check the oil, which was still fine, and at a good level.

When I left the park, the bike started making a really loud pronounced whine/whirr/buzz sound. Like really high pitched. . I rode it back, and it hardly went over 55 mph. I took it really easy, because I was afraid of the bike seizing up or something.

I'm worried that what I have now is an engine issue. I don't really have the mechanical skills at this point to diagnose anything. I'm getting married in two weeks, and don't have the extra scratch to have the thing diagnosed by a mechanic even. Have you ever run into any issues like this? I'm hoping it's just an issue related to the cam chain being too tight or something like that, that can be adjusted without taking the whole thing apart. If you ever are in the Tonawanda area, and want to hear this bizarre noise let me know. I'm a little nervous to ride her down to Hamburg at this point in time. My number is_________.

Thanks again Bob,

Charlie "
Is your Tacho working? if your tacho has stopped then it means your oil pump has packed it in! [well unless the cable has broke]
No oil pump - no oil getting to the motor, other maybe is that you have a bearing [somewhere?] that has colapsed.
Without being there to have a look, it's very hard to tell what has happened to the motor but it sounds like an oil issue [maybe not?]
Cheers
Baza
Old 08-15-2011, 01:16 PM   #397
nsu max
Gnarly Adventurer

Many years ago when I had my repair shop a XS 650 came in making the same noise and it was a crank bearing. On a good note even though it's a PITA to fix it's not to hard to do. Good luck.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:52 AM   #398
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

All good on the trailer front, finished everything, test ride tomorrow to Canberra for new tyres

Cheers
Baza
Old 08-23-2011, 06:03 PM   #399
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Update on XS650/trailer combo, works like a dream, just gotta remember it's on behind ya!
This weekend will be the test, 35km of knarley firetrail & creekcrossings into 'TTT' rally, post photos when I get back.
Cheers
Baza
Old 08-23-2011, 07:28 PM   #400
nsu max
Gnarly Adventurer

Can't wait, have a good trip.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:45 AM   #401
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsu max View Post
Can't wait, have a good trip.

Cheers for that, will post lots of pics when I get back!
Cheers
Baza
Old 08-28-2011, 06:31 AM   #402
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Well folks had a great weekend but not without grief, ended up @ 'TTT' only after coming unstuck 100m short of the top of 'Heartbreak Hill', resulted in an XS650 chasing a trailer backwards down the hill!
Layed the bike down, got sorted after two other riders turned and we manhandled the trailer up the hill [100m], made the rest of the way in OK.
Minimum damage to bike & travellers, redesigning of trailer will continue!

Bev @ rally site

From left;- Hunter-GreyGhost, Doctor, Duckslider, Old Graham & Gunning Pete,

Yep, some good drops & slippery slopes!

Our grand arrival

The 'log of knowledge'

Cheers
Baza

hunter_greyghost screwed with this post 08-28-2011 at 06:41 AM
Old 08-30-2011, 03:37 PM   #403
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

One of the imates produced this photo from the crash site, no photos of the actual bike down,

Cheers
Baza
Old 09-03-2011, 06:46 AM   #404
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

'Dargo High Plains' Rally

This one's down in Victoria, East Gippsland mountain country, a first time rally for me, looking forward to this rally, been trying for last 4yrs to make it there, always something stopped me.

Looks like it could be a good rally, photos to follow when I get back
Cheers
Baza
Old 09-13-2011, 12:58 AM   #405
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Dargo High Plains Rally

Here's the latest offering from the 'Kenny Krazyhorse' cronicles

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...1#post16842921

Thanks to Dave [havafati] for the ride report