Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2011, 04:46 PM   #421
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer: 7,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverand Roadblock View Post
I believe those are the original tires from 1978. Dad bought the bike new and has about 7000 miles on it.
That's 33 years of curing time for those tyres, betcha the wear rate is good!
Cheers
Baza
hunter_greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 04:26 PM   #422
Reverand Roadblock
Snow is bad. Mm'kay?

Oddometer: 1,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter_greyghost View Post
That's 33 years of curing time for those tyres, betcha the wear rate is good!
Cheers
Baza
Hah...yep. i don't even need any air.

This bike is on my winter project list for a restoration (with some modern thrown in for good measure). This was the first street bike I ever rode (my brother too). I had wanted to restore it and give it back to my Dad as a fathers day present but the cancer took him just over a year ago. The old 650 has alot of sentimental value for me and it is one of the bikes that will never be sold.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:40 PM   #423
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,441
Quote:

My 78 after it did a pirouette off the trailer. I was moving into the new house, transporting the bikes, I undid the straps, turned around to undo the other bike and the XS was gone. Did a perfect, silent somersault and landed on her head. Bent the handlebars and the rear fender slightly.
My KTM 250 did that once,I was tieing it down on my 1939 flatbed GMC,the bed was icey,I was heading out to race Scrambles on a sunday.
I pulled the tie down tight on the rt side,for what ever reason the bike slid sideways and leaped off the truck over my head,(I ducked) it landed on the bars on the front lawn just like a lawn dart.
I went back in the house for more coffee.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:41 PM   #424
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Quote:
Hah...yep. i don't even need any air.

This bike is on my winter project list for a restoration (with some modern thrown in for good measure). This was the first street bike I ever rode (my brother too). I had wanted to restore it and give it back to my Dad as a fathers day present but the cancer took him just over a year ago. The old 650 has alot of sentimental value for me and it is one of the bikes that will never be sold.

Post plenty of photos of the project in progress
Cheers
Baza
Old 10-11-2011, 11:22 PM   #425
Easy-Z
Me wanna be

Oddometer: 3,408
Just picked up a '79 tonight. It runs, but not very well. It hasn't been registered since '05 and barely run since '01 so a good carb cleaning and she'll probably be purring like a puddy tat. 8500 miles.

Everything's there except the tail light and blinkers. Oh, and the badges on the tank and side covers. There's some surface rust but nothing a little elbow grease won't take care of. I've really been wanting to build a street tracker but first things first....make it run. I might just choogle around town on it for a while before I start doing anything cosmetically. What a cool motorcycle. There's just something about it. And the sound.....ooooh man. If you look it up in the aural dictionary a parallel twin with a 360 crank is what a motorcycle should sound like.
Easy-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 12:30 AM   #426
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Very nice find that one Easy-Z, will make a great base to create from,
Question for all out in XS650 land - carbies,

I've been playing around with VM34mm Mikuni Roundslides on my XS' & would like some input from anyone who's setup these gremlins.
Both the bikes - 'Kenny' '74 Adventure & White Beast have these carbs on for the last three years, being the slack bloke that I am, I haven't really been serious about getting the jetting spot on
Originally came with the following;
Main jets = 180, now have 150, standard carb mains are listed as 127.5 for '74 & 132.5 for '81 Special.
Pilot jet = 52, specs for standard are; '74 = 45 & '81 = 42.5,

I'm in the process setting up these little items from MikesXS;

Suppose to improve bottom end performance, creates a ram effect for better mixture?

So, any thoughts?
Cheers
Baza

hunter_greyghost screwed with this post 10-12-2011 at 01:42 AM
Old 10-12-2011, 01:43 PM   #427
buggiebuggie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
In general terms if you increase the distance between the carbs and the head (intake valves) with intake risers, you boost low and mid range power delivery and decrease top end performance... shortening has the opposite effect. Increasing the lengths of velocity stacks helps top end as well.

Your riser should work well unless you need the top 5% of your RPM range... Most folks don't operate in that range with their street bike so I'd say you're adding fun to the working range of your bike.. should be... well.... fun.

Of courae there are other tuning considerations for changing intake and exhaust runner lengths but for street use and making that small of a change, you shouldn't have to worry. Set it, jet it, forget it!
buggiebuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 03:09 PM   #428
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggiebuggie View Post
In general terms if you increase the distance between the carbs and the head (intake valves) with intake risers, you boost low and mid range power delivery and decrease top end performance... shortening has the opposite effect. Increasing the lengths of velocity stacks helps top end as well.

Your riser should work well unless you need the top 5% of your RPM range... Most folks don't operate in that range with their street bike so I'd say you're adding fun to the working range of your bike.. should be... well.... fun.

Of courae there are other tuning considerations for changing intake and exhaust runner lengths but for street use and making that small of a change, you shouldn't have to worry. Set it, jet it, forget it!
I spend a lot of time playing in the dirt, need more low end response in certain situations;

Cheers
Baza
Old 10-12-2011, 06:28 PM   #429
mtnrdr
hav'n fun

Oddometer: 72
XS after some lovin'

funny, I don't remember the year model
Attached Images

mtnrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:07 PM   #430
buggiebuggie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
You'll have it with those intakes my friend!
buggiebuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:39 PM   #431
Gham
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy-Z View Post
Just picked up a '79 tonight. It runs, but not very well. It hasn't been registered since '05 and barely run since '01 so a good carb cleaning and she'll probably be purring like a puddy tat. 8500 miles.

Everything's there except the tail light and blinkers. Oh, and the badges on the tank and side covers. There's some surface rust but nothing a little elbow grease won't take care of. I've really been wanting to build a street tracker but first things first....make it run. I might just choogle around town on it for a while before I start doing anything cosmetically. What a cool motorcycle. There's just something about it. And the sound.....ooooh man. If you look it up in the aural dictionary a parallel twin with a 360 crank is what a motorcycle should sound like.
Check your points and timing,then go after the carbs.I got a 79 myself.threw the carbs and petcocks in the garbage and went with 36 mm mikunis(shoulda went 34mm though)

Society Historicus Revisioniscus
Gham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 06:12 AM   #432
norton73
drinkin'

Oddometer: 8,259
Monoshock XS650 @ Barber

Old 10-13-2011, 03:19 PM   #433
davmo
n00b

Oddometer: 6
That is squeezed into a XT350 frame. I talked to the guy who built this bike, he said "it was easy." Chain lines up, custom pipes...looked like it was factory. I walked by it and my buddy had to point out what it was. Pretty cool!
davmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 03:25 PM   #434
deputygene
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Here is my 75. Also have a 73 that I am working on.

deputygene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 04:12 PM   #435
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by norton73 View Post
Neat job on that!, often wonder how those frames handle the extra power/weight though, not that XS frames were super strong in the first place, earlier models were prone to cracking behind the engine - not a good feel when it happens!
Cheers
Baza