ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-17-2011, 06:16 AM   #31
2manyrides
shifty charactor
 
2manyrides's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Citrus Heights Ca.
Oddometer: 1,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter_greyghost View Post
Trying to work out what was wrong with this picture ?

Then I realised that it's a reverse image!

Cheers
Baza
Leave it to the journalists to stretch the truth a bit.
They took this story and ran with it.

But I got some recognition. I had more than one instance where folks from across the country tell me they recognized the dog from somewhere.
(not me or the bike)
__________________
too many...
I have completely lost count

and here's my channel...
http://www.youtube.com/user/2manyrides?feature=mhsn#p/u
2manyrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:13 PM   #32
Carey Gray
n00b
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Graham, WA
Oddometer: 5
My'79

Here's my '79
Attached Images
 
Carey Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 05:02 AM   #33
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller
 
hunter_greyghost's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Yass, Australia
Oddometer: 7,877
Plenty of clean XS's but how about a bit of dirt ?


Even XS's fail to proceed sometimes!



Cheers
Baza
__________________
1981 XS650SH "Tourer" [ For Sale - when / maybe?], 1975 XS650B "Adventure" ['Kenny Krazyhorse'], 1982 XL500R 'Project'
www.aussiegreyghost.smugmug.com
Couldn't afford a 'GSA', so now it's an 'XSA' "I didn't do it! & whoever said I did, is a liar!"
hunter_greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:38 AM   #34
2manyrides
shifty charactor
 
2manyrides's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Citrus Heights Ca.
Oddometer: 1,584
stuck 650's

I wouldn't want to be stuck in the mud all alone with an XS650!
__________________
too many...
I have completely lost count

and here's my channel...
http://www.youtube.com/user/2manyrides?feature=mhsn#p/u
2manyrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 03:15 PM   #35
Gupster
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Fresno
Oddometer: 48
XS in progress

Hello to all,

This comes from a wild hair about 3-years ago, an atempt to create something.
I had already restored a 72 xs650, once done realizing it really didn't fit my 6'5' 265# body so I sold it.
I think many of you can relate that with a one bike restoration you end up with 3 to 4 parts bikes. So after a few beers seating in my shop I pulled in a 77 xs which was pretty complete. Out comes the wrenches.
The vison was flat track no, street tracker no, motocross no, super moto no. How about a little of all yes.
So the bastard build began. 77 xs engine and front frame, 93 Honda CR forks and triple clamps, I built the back half of the frame to except the 88 xr rear, and the early 70's Yamaha mx 400 tank.
Work in progress with no sch.
Attached Images
 
Gupster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 05:34 PM   #36
Speedo66
Transient
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Cin City, OH
Oddometer: 6,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gupster View Post
Hello to all,

This comes from a wild hair about 3-years ago, an atempt to create something.
I had already restored a 72 xs650, once done realizing it really didn't fit my 6'5' 265# body so I sold it.
I think many of you can relate that with a one bike restoration you end up with 3 to 4 parts bikes. So after a few beers seating in my shop I pulled in a 77 xs which was pretty complete. Out comes the wrenches.
The vison was flat track no, street tracker no, motocross no, super moto no. How about a little of all yes.
So the bastard build began. 77 xs engine and front frame, 93 Honda CR forks and triple clamps, I built the back half of the frame to except the 88 xr rear, and the early 70's Yamaha mx 400 tank.
Work in progress with no sch.
Nice, does it come with a step ladder?
__________________
Oh I used to be disgusted, but now I try to be amused-E.Costello
'01 Kawasaki W650, '05 Yamaha XT225



Speedo66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:05 PM   #37
don-vee
Adventurer
 
don-vee's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: The dead coal city of Wilkes-Barre, PA
Oddometer: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffaloborn View Post
I LOVE YOUR BIKE. What year is it? Where did you get your seat? What kind of tank is that?

Do you have any more pictures???
Thanks for the compliments!
Yep, here's a few more pics, along with a "before" picture of when I first bought it. Affectionately nicknamed "Wonder Woman", my wife joked that she was gonna sew up a cape for me to wear while riding.
It's a '78. I bought it for $500, running great. It's a bit hot rodded, I don't know exactly what was done to it, but it kicks over way harder and has way more balls than any other XS650 I've ever ridden.
So, here's the rundown: The tank is the stock one. I made the seat from a piece of plywood, some foam, and an old leather jacket I dug out of the trash. The handlebars are Royal Enfield, the little mirror is off a Ross Barracuda bicycle, scored that at a garage sale for 25 cents. The headlight bucket is (I think) from a Jawa, the speedo is a cheapie universal moped one, and the speedo cluster with the lights is made with a piece of aluminum road sign that I swirl polished and some LEDs and diodes from Radio Shack. The springs on the front forks are just a faux springer, and they're made from rear shock springs from an early 70s CB125. The front fender is a junkyard combination of early 70s Honda CB750 and some sorta Suzuki, the rear fender is the stock one with 4 inches taken out of it. The taillight is from a '29 Studebaker, the license plate bracket, headlight brackets, and taillight brackets are all made with round stock from a disassembled wire plant stand I found in the trash. The tailpipes are Sportster, I think. I dunno, I got 'em for 10 bucks at a swap meet, along with some rusted Chevy headers I found in the trash that I pilfered the header wrap from. Finally, the paint is dollar-can swap meet spray paint, with some pinstriping by yours truly.





don-vee screwed with this post 01-18-2011 at 06:16 PM
don-vee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:06 AM   #38
Houseoffubar
fine beer sampler
 
Houseoffubar's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Bothell, Washington
Oddometer: 1,760
Damn, your like a one man recycling company, I love it!
__________________
1978 R100/7 Build thread 1915 Boardtrack racer replica (Electric Powered) Lots of bicycles
Hemp: The strongest natural fiber in the world, and the most nutritious plant on earth.....why is this illegal again?
Houseoffubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:07 AM   #39
Houseoffubar
fine beer sampler
 
Houseoffubar's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Bothell, Washington
Oddometer: 1,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gupster View Post
Hello to all,

This comes from a wild hair about 3-years ago, an atempt to create something.
I had already restored a 72 xs650, once done realizing it really didn't fit my 6'5' 265# body so I sold it.
I think many of you can relate that with a one bike restoration you end up with 3 to 4 parts bikes. So after a few beers seating in my shop I pulled in a 77 xs which was pretty complete. Out comes the wrenches.
The vison was flat track no, street tracker no, motocross no, super moto no. How about a little of all yes.
So the bastard build began. 77 xs engine and front frame, 93 Honda CR forks and triple clamps, I built the back half of the frame to except the 88 xr rear, and the early 70's Yamaha mx 400 tank.
Work in progress with no sch.
Nice, very nice! looks like a well thought out package, and a lot of fun!
__________________
1978 R100/7 Build thread 1915 Boardtrack racer replica (Electric Powered) Lots of bicycles
Hemp: The strongest natural fiber in the world, and the most nutritious plant on earth.....why is this illegal again?
Houseoffubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:54 AM   #40
Gupster
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Fresno
Oddometer: 48
Ladder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
Nice, does it come with a step ladder?
Speedo66,
One advantage of building it your self, is the custom fit for 36" inseam. The seat height is less than my BRP/xrr and KTM 950, my plan is to place the foot pegs to match.
Gupster
Gupster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:03 AM   #41
Gupster
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Fresno
Oddometer: 48
Fun meter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houseoffubar View Post
Nice, very nice! looks like a well thought out package, and a lot of fun!
Thanks for the likes,
I can only hope that the fun meter can get close to the hour meter/time invested.
At this point its been just as fun learning how to use the lathe and mill.
Gupster
Gupster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:31 AM   #42
bpeckm
Grin!
 
bpeckm's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Road Island
Oddometer: 5,726
Quote:
So, here's the rundown: The tank is the stock one. I made the seat from a piece of plywood, some foam, and an old leather jacket I dug out of the trash. The handlebars are Royal Enfield, the little mirror is off a Ross Barracuda bicycle, scored that at a garage sale for 25 cents. The headlight bucket is (I think) from a Jawa, the speedo is a cheapie universal moped one, and the speedo cluster with the lights is made with a piece of aluminum road sign that I swirl polished and some LEDs and diodes from Radio Shack. The springs on the front forks are just a faux springer, and they're made from rear shock springs from an early 70s CB125. The front fender is a junkyard combination of early 70s Honda CB750 and some sorta Suzuki, the rear fender is the stock one with 4 inches taken out of it. The taillight is from a '29 Studebaker, the license plate bracket, headlight brackets, and taillight brackets are all made with round stock from a disassembled wire plant stand I found in the trash. The tailpipes are Sportster, I think. I dunno, I got 'em for 10 bucks at a swap meet, along with some rusted Chevy headers I found in the trash that I pilfered the header wrap from. Finally, the paint is dollar-can swap meet spray paint, with some pinstriping by yours truly.
Effin'A.... that is outstanding!
__________________
XS650 becomes a VT BackRoadRunner
Loving the 80ST
I love projects that take twice as much effort as should be needed. Should be an Airhead motto. (disston)
__________________
bpeckm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 04:21 AM   #43
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller
 
hunter_greyghost's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Yass, Australia
Oddometer: 7,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22manyrides View Post
I wouldn't want to be stuck in the mud all alone with an XS650!
You can always find water to wash the mud off!


Only .5m deep, gotta allow for sidedrift though!



Cheers
Baza
__________________
1981 XS650SH "Tourer" [ For Sale - when / maybe?], 1975 XS650B "Adventure" ['Kenny Krazyhorse'], 1982 XL500R 'Project'
www.aussiegreyghost.smugmug.com
Couldn't afford a 'GSA', so now it's an 'XSA' "I didn't do it! & whoever said I did, is a liar!"
hunter_greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:44 AM   #44
BIG ED XT FAN
Beastly Adventurer
 
BIG ED XT FAN's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Finger Lakes Western New York
Oddometer: 1,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by don-vee View Post
Thanks for the compliments!
Yep, here's a few more pics, along with a "before" picture of when I first bought it. Affectionately nicknamed "Wonder Woman", my wife joked that she was gonna sew up a cape for me to wear while riding.
It's a '78. I bought it for $500, running great. It's a bit hot rodded, I don't know exactly what was done to it, but it kicks over way harder and has way more balls than any other XS650 I've ever ridden.
So, here's the rundown: The tank is the stock one. I made the seat from a piece of plywood, some foam, and an old leather jacket I dug out of the trash. The handlebars are Royal Enfield, the little mirror is off a Ross Barracuda bicycle, scored that at a garage sale for 25 cents. The headlight bucket is (I think) from a Jawa, the speedo is a cheapie universal moped one, and the speedo cluster with the lights is made with a piece of aluminum road sign that I swirl polished and some LEDs and diodes from Radio Shack. The springs on the front forks are just a faux springer, and they're made from rear shock springs from an early 70s CB125. The front fender is a junkyard combination of early 70s Honda CB750 and some sorta Suzuki, the rear fender is the stock one with 4 inches taken out of it. The taillight is from a '29 Studebaker, the license plate bracket, headlight brackets, and taillight brackets are all made with round stock from a disassembled wire plant stand I found in the trash. The tailpipes are Sportster, I think. I dunno, I got 'em for 10 bucks at a swap meet, along with some rusted Chevy headers I found in the trash that I pilfered the header wrap from. Finally, the paint is dollar-can swap meet spray paint, with some pinstriping by yours truly.




Love the RED Grips!!
BIG ED XT FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:14 PM   #45
don-vee
Adventurer
 
don-vee's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: The dead coal city of Wilkes-Barre, PA
Oddometer: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG ED XT FAN View Post
Love the RED Grips!!
Haha, yeah, I'm surprised the old owner didn't have them on there to match his Captain America paint job!
don-vee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014