Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2011, 06:16 AM   #31
2manyrides
shifty charactor

Oddometer: 1,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter_greyghost View Post
Trying to work out what was wrong with this picture ?

Then I realised that it's a reverse image!

Cheers
Baza
Leave it to the journalists to stretch the truth a bit.
They took this story and ran with it.

But I got some recognition. I had more than one instance where folks from across the country tell me they recognized the dog from somewhere.
(not me or the bike)

and here's my channel...
http://www.youtube.com/user/2manyrides?feature=mhsn#p/u
2manyrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:13 PM   #32
Carey Gray
n00b

Oddometer: 5
My'79

Here's my '79
Attached Images

Carey Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 05:02 AM   #33
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer: 7,877
Plenty of clean XS's but how about a bit of dirt ?

Even XS's fail to proceed sometimes!

Cheers
Baza
hunter_greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:38 AM   #34
2manyrides
shifty charactor

Oddometer: 1,584
stuck 650's

I wouldn't want to be stuck in the mud all alone with an XS650!

and here's my channel...
http://www.youtube.com/user/2manyrides?feature=mhsn#p/u
2manyrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 03:15 PM   #35
Gupster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
XS in progress

Hello to all,

This comes from a wild hair about 3-years ago, an atempt to create something.
I had already restored a 72 xs650, once done realizing it really didn't fit my 6'5' 265# body so I sold it.
I think many of you can relate that with a one bike restoration you end up with 3 to 4 parts bikes. So after a few beers seating in my shop I pulled in a 77 xs which was pretty complete. Out comes the wrenches.
The vison was flat track no, street tracker no, motocross no, super moto no. How about a little of all yes.
So the bastard build began. 77 xs engine and front frame, 93 Honda CR forks and triple clamps, I built the back half of the frame to except the 88 xr rear, and the early 70's Yamaha mx 400 tank.
Work in progress with no sch.
Attached Images

Gupster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 05:34 PM   #36
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gupster View Post
Hello to all,

I had already restored a 72 xs650, once done realizing it really didn't fit my 6'5' 265# body so I sold it.
I think many of you can relate that with a one bike restoration you end up with 3 to 4 parts bikes. So after a few beers seating in my shop I pulled in a 77 xs which was pretty complete. Out comes the wrenches.
The vison was flat track no, street tracker no, motocross no, super moto no. How about a little of all yes.
So the bastard build began. 77 xs engine and front frame, 93 Honda CR forks and triple clamps, I built the back half of the frame to except the 88 xr rear, and the early 70's Yamaha mx 400 tank.
Nice, does it come with a step ladder?

Speedo66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:05 PM   #37
don-vee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffaloborn View Post
I LOVE YOUR BIKE. What year is it? Where did you get your seat? What kind of tank is that?

Do you have any more pictures???
Thanks for the compliments!
Yep, here's a few more pics, along with a "before" picture of when I first bought it. Affectionately nicknamed "Wonder Woman", my wife joked that she was gonna sew up a cape for me to wear while riding.
It's a '78. I bought it for $500, running great. It's a bit hot rodded, I don't know exactly what was done to it, but it kicks over way harder and has way more balls than any other XS650 I've ever ridden.
So, here's the rundown: The tank is the stock one. I made the seat from a piece of plywood, some foam, and an old leather jacket I dug out of the trash. The handlebars are Royal Enfield, the little mirror is off a Ross Barracuda bicycle, scored that at a garage sale for 25 cents. The headlight bucket is (I think) from a Jawa, the speedo is a cheapie universal moped one, and the speedo cluster with the lights is made with a piece of aluminum road sign that I swirl polished and some LEDs and diodes from Radio Shack. The springs on the front forks are just a faux springer, and they're made from rear shock springs from an early 70s CB125. The front fender is a junkyard combination of early 70s Honda CB750 and some sorta Suzuki, the rear fender is the stock one with 4 inches taken out of it. The taillight is from a '29 Studebaker, the license plate bracket, headlight brackets, and taillight brackets are all made with round stock from a disassembled wire plant stand I found in the trash. The tailpipes are Sportster, I think. I dunno, I got 'em for 10 bucks at a swap meet, along with some rusted Chevy headers I found in the trash that I pilfered the header wrap from. Finally, the paint is dollar-can swap meet spray paint, with some pinstriping by yours truly.

don-vee screwed with this post 01-18-2011 at 06:16 PM
don-vee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:06 AM   #38
Houseoffubar
fine beer sampler

Oddometer: 1,760
Damn, your like a one man recycling company, I love it!
Old 01-19-2011, 12:07 AM   #39
Houseoffubar
fine beer sampler

Oddometer: 1,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gupster View Post
Hello to all,

Nice, very nice! looks like a well thought out package, and a lot of fun!
Old 01-19-2011, 07:54 AM   #40
Gupster
Adventurer

Ladder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
Nice, does it come with a step ladder?
Speedo66,
One advantage of building it your self, is the custom fit for 36" inseam. The seat height is less than my BRP/xrr and KTM 950, my plan is to place the foot pegs to match.
Gupster
Old 01-19-2011, 08:03 AM   #41
Gupster
Adventurer

Fun meter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houseoffubar View Post
Nice, very nice! looks like a well thought out package, and a lot of fun!
Thanks for the likes,
I can only hope that the fun meter can get close to the hour meter/time invested.
At this point its been just as fun learning how to use the lathe and mill.
Gupster
Old 01-19-2011, 08:31 AM   #42
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,726
Quote:
So, here's the rundown: The tank is the stock one. I made the seat from a piece of plywood, some foam, and an old leather jacket I dug out of the trash. The handlebars are Royal Enfield, the little mirror is off a Ross Barracuda bicycle, scored that at a garage sale for 25 cents. The headlight bucket is (I think) from a Jawa, the speedo is a cheapie universal moped one, and the speedo cluster with the lights is made with a piece of aluminum road sign that I swirl polished and some LEDs and diodes from Radio Shack. The springs on the front forks are just a faux springer, and they're made from rear shock springs from an early 70s CB125. The front fender is a junkyard combination of early 70s Honda CB750 and some sorta Suzuki, the rear fender is the stock one with 4 inches taken out of it. The taillight is from a '29 Studebaker, the license plate bracket, headlight brackets, and taillight brackets are all made with round stock from a disassembled wire plant stand I found in the trash. The tailpipes are Sportster, I think. I dunno, I got 'em for 10 bucks at a swap meet, along with some rusted Chevy headers I found in the trash that I pilfered the header wrap from. Finally, the paint is dollar-can swap meet spray paint, with some pinstriping by yours truly.
Effin'A.... that is outstanding!
Old 01-20-2011, 04:21 AM   #43
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer: 7,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22manyrides View Post
I wouldn't want to be stuck in the mud all alone with an XS650!
You can always find water to wash the mud off!

Only .5m deep, gotta allow for sidedrift though!

Cheers
Baza
hunter_greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:44 AM   #44
BIG ED XT FAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by don-vee View Post
Thanks for the compliments!
Yep, here's a few more pics, along with a "before" picture of when I first bought it. Affectionately nicknamed "Wonder Woman", my wife joked that she was gonna sew up a cape for me to wear while riding.
It's a '78. I bought it for $500, running great. It's a bit hot rodded, I don't know exactly what was done to it, but it kicks over way harder and has way more balls than any other XS650 I've ever ridden.

Love the RED Grips!!
BIG ED XT FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:14 PM   #45
don-vee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG ED XT FAN View Post
Love the RED Grips!!
Haha, yeah, I'm surprised the old owner didn't have them on there to match his Captain America paint job!
don-vee is offline   Reply With Quote