Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2011, 03:10 AM   #541
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer: 7,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredgentleman View Post
Great thread happening here guys. I've been driving my 78SE for the last 5 seasons here in Calgary. Easy bike to work on and just too much fun to ride.

Modern up-grades such as Pamco ignition, Accel dual output coil,solid state automotive regulator, bridge rectifiers, LED tail/brake light, increase reliability tremendously. Oh yeah, installed a voltmeter as well, to keep tabs on the electrical system.

My best ride so far was last summer through the Kootenays Mountains and Oganagan valley in British Columbia.
Covered 2036 kms in 5 days and got 24 km/L (56.4 mpg) fuel consumption. Got rained on 3 of the 5 days, but my raingear worked real well.

Presently installing Brembo 4 piston goldline calipers to the front and rear of my bike. While my stock brakes work reasonably well, I'm looking forward to even better brakes.

XS650..............around town or touring the mountains, just can't be beat for value, reliability and fun!
That's a nice bike you've got there, have you had it long?
Nice to see someone else that's had a play with the old beasts, there's a lot of simple but effective upgrades out there, just a matter of working out which ones are worth the money for what you want?
Cheers
Baza
hunter_greyghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 07:44 PM   #542
motu
Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer: 4,343
I just dragged this stalled project out from under the bench where it's been for the last 5 years. That's a '71 Triumph frame, it's unfinished and I have to fit the rear top and engine top steady mounts. It's also made to fit an XS1 engine, so have to remove the starter gear plate, and grind off the starter mounts on the right hand side. The annoying thing is I had an XS1 for 15 years,and when I saw this frame hanging in a friends workshop that was going to be the plan. Then I sold the XS1 and didn't think about the frame until he was going to chop it up a few years later.

I have an '81 minus forks and wheels...dunno what condition that engine is in,someone got it just to rip the electronic ignition out for their '74. Oh,the days when the XS650 was an unwanted bike and parts were cheap and everywhere...now I've ended up with a project where parts are in hot demand.

I've come on hard times and money is in very short supply - I can do all the fabrication now that my welding gear and lathe are working again....sourcing a front end and some wheels is the stuff of dreams for the moment.

motu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 08:44 PM   #543
retiredgentleman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter_greyghost View Post
That's a nice bike you've got there, have you had it long?
Nice to see someone else that's had a play with the old beasts, there's a lot of simple but effective upgrades out there, just a matter of working out which ones are worth the money for what you want?
Cheers
Baza
Thanks for the comments. I bought the bike in 2007. It was an unmolested survivor, with 17,000 kms on the odometer. Its biggest problem was a passing head gasket, that sucked oil from the camchain tunnel into the cylinders. It would use a litre of oil in 300 kms.

I did a top end re-build, and the bike runs like new.

It came with a 36 tooth rear sprocket, (apparently that was stock gearing in Canada), that was geared too low. I put on a 33 and am very happy with that set up.

A very reliable bike.....................starts perfectly every time using the starter motor................I'm too old to be using that silly kicker.
retiredgentleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 10:08 PM   #544
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredgentleman View Post
Thanks for the comments. I bought the bike in 2007. It was an unmolested survivor, with 17,000 kms on the odometer. Its biggest problem was a passing head gasket, that sucked oil from the camchain tunnel into the cylinders. It would use a litre of oil in 300 kms.

I did a top end re-build, and the bike runs like new.

It came with a 36 tooth rear sprocket, (apparently that was stock gearing in Canada), that was geared too low. I put on a 33 and am very happy with that set up.

A very reliable bike.....................starts perfectly every time using the starter motor................I'm too old to be using that silly kicker.
It's nice when the starter works well,
depending on road trips, I use a 30T on 16" [34T standard] - 34T on 18",
tried a 30T on 18" once - jeez was that a 'long tall Sally' set up, glad I was out in flat country
Cheers
Baza
Old 12-17-2011, 11:10 PM   #545
RocketMoto
2 Many Motersikles

Oddometer: 916
I bought this one last month in Calif. There was a vintage bike auction in San Jose and I came away empty handed at the auction. There were some guys with bikes for sale outside the auction. Someone spent a lot of time, effort and dough on this one. Delighted to have it.

Autocom | TPX Radar/Laser | Sena Bluetooth
| Hi-Power LED Lights
Shorai Battery | Techmount | Powerlet | Rowe PDM60 | Skene Design

RocketMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 06:43 AM   #546
2manyrides
shifty charactor

Oddometer: 1,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by motu View Post
I just dragged this stalled project out from under the bench where it's been for the last 5 years. That's a '71 Triumph frame...
That's and interesting project, to stuff the xs motor in an OIF triumph chassis.
Kinda wonder why, and what the benefits might be
Still, if that's all you have to work with then I guess it makes a great deal of sense.

Good luck, keep up posted on your fab's.

and here's my channel...
http://www.youtube.com/user/2manyrides?feature=mhsn#p/u
2manyrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 12:26 PM   #547
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketMoto View Post
I bought this one last month in Calif. There was a vintage bike auction in San Jose and I came away empty handed at the auction. There were some guys with bikes for sale outside the auction. Someone spent a lot of time, effort and dough on this one. Delighted to have it.

Looks nice [not my style], still running a stock frame from what I see?
Cheers
Baza
Old 12-18-2011, 02:07 PM   #548
MightyChosen1
I wanna be sedated

Oddometer: 1,225
Just picked this up cheap. It was about to be parted out after the PO started to tear it apart for a bobber or chopper or chobber or whattever and lost interest.

Needs a seat and sidecovers but came with a few boxes of extra parts. For now I am going to change the bars and seat then decide if this will be the bike I will use to pull my Velorex sidecar around with.

Now I have 3 Yamaha projects this winter. This bike, The Vision in the background and a RT-3 out in the shed.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:36 PM   #549
motu
Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer: 4,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22manyrides View Post
That's and interesting project, to stuff the xs motor in an OIF triumph chassis.
Kinda wonder why, and what the benefits might be
Handling - the XS650 was never noted for fine handling,the OIF Triumph was.
motu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 07:22 PM   #550
2manyrides
shifty charactor

Oddometer: 1,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by motu View Post
Handling - the XS650 was never noted for fine handling,the OIF Triumph was.
Well, right... a triumph is almost 100 lbs lighter than an xs, an xs handles like a turd with wheels. But the XS motor is darn heavy too. Although I can't think what other motor one might put in there, (besides a triumph).
I guess sn xs650 motor might be a good candidate.

And just think of the extra tank you'd have...

and here's my channel...
http://www.youtube.com/user/2manyrides?feature=mhsn#p/u
2manyrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 07:32 PM   #551
RocketMoto
2 Many Motersikles

Oddometer: 916
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter_greyghost View Post
Looks nice [not my style], still running a stock frame from what I see?
Cheers
Baza
Baza:

Not normally the kind of thing I'd be interested in, either. What it's hard to see in the photos is - the frame has been substantially modified - gusseted down tubes, and steering head. Head angle modified, Non-Yamaha forks and brakes - Ceriani, perhaps. Beefy triple trees. The foot peg and control area is sunstantially modified and very nicely done. Sun Rims - lots of other stuff.

My interests typically run to vintage American and European bikes. In fact, aside from a Gold Wing, it's been at least 30 years since I've owned a Japanese bike of any kind.
Autocom | TPX Radar/Laser | Sena Bluetooth
| Hi-Power LED Lights
Shorai Battery | Techmount | Powerlet | Rowe PDM60 | Skene Design

RocketMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 06:42 PM   #552
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

'Kenny' - rebuild

Started putting 'Kenny' back together;

Groovy clutch basket I don't want, bit of filing fixed that, seen worse!
2mm difference between old springs & new - 41mm / 43mm
Cheers
Baza
Old 12-20-2011, 07:21 PM   #553
TheRadBaron
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious D View Post

Needs a seat and sidecovers but came with a few boxes of extra parts. For now I am going to change the bars and seat then decide if this will be the bike I will use to pull my Velorex sidecar around with.

Now I have 3 Yamaha projects this winter. This bike, The Vision in the background and a RT-3 out in the shed.
That's quite a coincidence. My winter projects include an XS650 and a 550 Vision as well, and a sidecar hauler project though I think I'm going with a '78 GS1000 for that. I thought about using my 650 but I like it too much the way it is.
I'm in central Illinois, too. Near Champaign. Whereabouts are you?
Old 12-21-2011, 01:00 AM   #554
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRadBaron View Post
That's quite a coincidence. My winter projects include an XS650 and a 550 Vision as well, and a sidecar hauler project though I think I'm going with a '78 GS1000 for that. I thought about using my 650 but I like it too much the way it is.
I'm in central Illinois, too. Near Champaign. Whereabouts are you?
GS1000 a better choice for a hack hauler, XS650 alright for lighter chairs but lack enough grunt for serious work I reckon

I have a tendency to over-engineer my chairs though!

Cheers
Baza
Old 12-21-2011, 01:43 PM   #555
TheRadBaron
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
Yeah, until this GS came my way, the XS was the only bike that I had that would make any sense to put a hack on. I've ridden (driven?) a number of sidehack rigs and I love them. I've been wanting to build one for myself for years, but what finally gave me the kick in the rear to get started was that I suddenly found myself the master of a large dog. I like to ride everywhere I go, but I also want to take the doggy with me. A sidecar is the obvious and perfect solution.
I use my XS in about the same way that Greyghost does. I have it built up as a sort of scrambler and I do plenty of offroad riding with it. It would be cool to have a hack on, but as I said, I really like it the way it is now.
I nabbed this old GS and not only would it have plenty of engine to haul the hack around, it's frame is built in such a way that attaching a hack will be a lot simpler than the XS or a lot of other bikes I've looked at. My goal is to be able to transport my whole family on the one bike. Me driving, the wife riding pillion, the dog and the 12-year-old daughter in the car. Perfect. I also plan on making the sidecar have a modular, removable car and a flatbed. That way I can ride it to go pick up lumber, building materials, or broken down motorcycles. As much as I love the XS650, I realize that hauling that much stuff around would be asking a bit much. It would do it I'm sure, but I also like to travel fast.