Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2012, 01:31 PM   #781
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer: 7,413
Good stuff, liked the clip/s, no sense of humour some of these cops!

I had an Airedale / Labrador cross who started out on the tank,

then I had to build a sidecar for him, laws out here no longer allow unsecured animals to be transported in this fashion,have to be harnessed etc.
Cheers
Baza
hunter_greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 04:36 PM   #782
2manyrides
shifty charactor

Oddometer: 1,582
The laws for all of us have changed since 84

Nice to see you have still more retro photos...

I'm just about spent. But here's one from 84 as well.
A 79 special. I had my D and him his special. (he prefers them)
A few years later he sold it to another friend who used it 2 years.
But it ended up scrap in a fatal accident. Hit a pallet of bricks on the side of the interstate freeway.

and here's my channel...
http://www.youtube.com/user/2manyrides?feature=mhsn#p/u
2manyrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 03:49 AM   #783
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

I'll have to scan some in, got heaps I haven't sorted yet

A trip I did in '79, Chris & his dog 'Cobber' & their Panhead outfit, went from Canberra to Roma in Queensland, 7 days on the road,
Cheers
Baza
Old 04-07-2012, 06:02 AM   #784
richsuz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Oil cooling the stator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter_greyghost View Post
No pain - no gain, hope there's no smoke either
There's wiring diagram on one of the threads somewhere, I'll see if I can find it

Found it - hope that helps
Cheers
Baza
Thanks for the info Baza. The list will make it a lot easier to mod my bike that has been sitting for a month now. But there is one thing that is still bothering me about the conversion. The fact that the stators being used are normally immerse in engine oil to cool them down and they will be dry and sitting inside the case in our bikes. HOw is the heat dissipated? I know in my Suzuki GS cooking stators due to lack/low engine oil is an issue.
richsuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:06 AM   #785
BIG ED XT FAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,168
Thumb Britanna Motorcycles XS 650 Enduro??

Quote:
I'll have to scan some in, got heaps I haven't sorted yet

A trip I did in '79, Chris & his dog 'Cobber' & their Panhead outfit, went from Canberra to Roma in Queensland, 7 days on the road,
Cheers
Baza
Hi, Baza, Check out this web site: Britanna Motorcycles just google it. Theres a XT 500 XS 650 bike for sale on there. Has one carb on it!! Looks Cool!! BIG ED XS 650 FAN!!
BIG ED XT FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:56 PM   #786
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Thanks for the info Baza. The list will make it a lot easier to mod my bike that has been sitting for a month now. But there is one thing that is still bothering me about the conversion. The fact that the stators being used are normally immerse in engine oil to cool them down and they will be dry and sitting inside the case in our bikes. HOw is the heat dissipated? I know in my Suzuki GS cooking stators due to lack/low engine oil is an issue.

Ah!. now it clearer, I couldn't read it before because of the colour, or am I goin' blind?
Don't think it should be an issue, without oil surrounding them could be good thing, if your bike's low on oil - then it will run hot anyway, & hot oil on those stators could be what's doing them in.
XS650's run a dry brushed alternator, never had a stator go yet!, done broken wires in the fields but never a stator, wouldn't worry to much about it, not worth the gray hairs
Cheers
Baza
Old 04-07-2012, 02:10 PM   #787
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG ED XT FAN View Post
Hi, Baza, Check out this web site: Britanna Motorcycles just google it. Theres a XT 500 XS 650 bike for sale on there. Has one carb on it!! Looks Cool!! BIG ED XS 650 FAN!!
I can understand why they've done those mods too!!! What carby is on it?

Very well thought out piece of machinery, has been around for awhile now, would like to hear a ride report on it?
Cheers
Baza

hunter_greyghost screwed with this post 04-07-2012 at 07:44 PM
Old 04-07-2012, 05:13 PM   #788
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,315
Going old school, riding in the sunshine with my buddy on an 81 GS650 E. Great weather, good trails.

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 03:56 AM   #789
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Question for all the DIY mechs out there, I'm chasing some one-way valves for the breather hoses off my carbs,
anyone point me in the right direction as to where I might pick these up from?, gunna try Auto Pro / Repco / etc. next time I'm in Goulburn or Canberra but wondering if any you guys have seen something on the net anywhere?
Redesigning old 'Kenny' to do some serious swimming capabilities based on the bike above, I know whata lot would say: 'buy a DR650 or something already setup do to this', obviously I'm not going to because of my nature as a bushmechanic & XS650 nut!
Getting to be some interesting mods & gear available to do these jobs - just need to find the right stuff !
Check out what's available from MikesXS.com , really starting to carry some interesting stuff now!

Cheers
Baza
Old 04-08-2012, 05:58 AM   #790
MightyChosen1
Flim-Flam Man

Oddometer: 1,209
Quote:
Question for all the DIY mechs out there, I'm chasing some one-way valves for the breather hoses off my carbs,
anyone point me in the right direction as to where I might pick these up from?, gunna try Auto Pro / Repco / etc. next time I'm in Goulburn or Canberra but wondering if any you guys have seen something on the net anywhere?
Redesigning old 'Kenny' to do some serious swimming capabilities based on the bike above, I know whata lot would say: 'buy a DR650 or something already setup do to this', obviously I'm not going to because of my nature as a bushmechanic & XS650 nut!
Getting to be some interesting mods & gear available to do these jobs - just need to find the right stuff !
Check out what's available from MikesXS.com , really starting to carry some interesting stuff now!

Cheers
Baza

How about an automotive PCV valve? I dont know if the crankcase pressure will be enough to move the spring since its designed ot open with arond 30 psi of vacumn.

We use what is called a check valve at work to prevent water from flowing back when the pump is shut off . Very simple device that simply uses a flapper valve that swings shut when pressure is lost. It might do the job and is available in sizes as small as 1/4" pipe thread size.

D
Old 04-08-2012, 01:08 PM   #791
retiredgentleman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Quote:

Cheers
Baza
You can use a Power Brake check valve.........................there's a picture, in this link, of the commonly used one.
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10088
retiredgentleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 02:24 PM   #792
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Thanks for that, I've already sorted ut the engine breather problem,
one way PCV valve fron MikesXS.com sorted that out, & I now have a positive loss chain oiler as well !
What I need are some one-way valves but a lot smaller because of the hose diameter coming off the side of carbs, one is for bowl flooding, can't remember what the other sucker does? but the reason I need them is to stop them from letting in water on deep water crossings
So if any one sees something let me know please, photos even better!
Cheers
Baza
Old 04-08-2012, 04:11 PM   #793
ADVwanaB
BOLD NEW AVATAR

Oddometer: 736
Quote:
one way PCV valve fron MikesXS.com sorted that out, & I now have a positive loss chain oiler as well !
What I need are some one-way valves but a lot smaller because of the hose diameter coming off the side of carbs, one is for bowl flooding, can't remember what the other sucker does? but the reason I need them is to stop them from letting in water on deep water crossings
Cheers
Baza
try the vent valves on MX bike gas tanks they vent one way.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...T.ac=SLIsearch
Old 04-08-2012, 08:33 PM   #794
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVwanaB View Post
try the vent valves on MX bike gas tanks they vent one way.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...T.ac=SLIsearch
Thanks for that link, I'll chase them up
Cheers
Baza
Old 04-09-2012, 07:20 PM   #795
dunc59
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 361
Quote:
Cheers
Baza
will these work for what you need http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/Pet-Suppl...=p3286.c0.m282
try your local pet shop
dunc59 is offline   Reply With Quote