ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-17-2012, 05:25 PM   #826
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller
 
hunter_greyghost's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Yass, Australia
Oddometer: 7,778

I like it!

What's that front end off & did it take much adjustment to fit?
Cheers
Baza
__________________
1981 XS650SH "Tourer" [ For Sale - when / maybe?], 1975 XS650B "Adventure" ['Kenny Krazyhorse'], 1982 XL500R 'Project'
www.aussiegreyghost.smugmug.com
Couldn't afford a 'GSA', so now it's an 'XSA' "I didn't do it! & whoever said I did, is a liar!"
hunter_greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:29 PM   #827
Klay
dreaming adventurer
 
Klay's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: right here on my thermarest
Oddometer: 99,398
I'll ask the guy when I see him next. I just spotted it on the street today. Nice job. I'm guessing that the front end might be off of a GSXR.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:00 PM   #828
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller
 
hunter_greyghost's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Yass, Australia
Oddometer: 7,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
I'll ask the guy when I see him next. I just spotted it on the street today. Nice job. I'm guessing that the front end might be off of a GSXR.
Looks nice , I want a bit more height for my unit, pick up a bit of ground clearance.
Cheers
Baza
__________________
1981 XS650SH "Tourer" [ For Sale - when / maybe?], 1975 XS650B "Adventure" ['Kenny Krazyhorse'], 1982 XL500R 'Project'
www.aussiegreyghost.smugmug.com
Couldn't afford a 'GSA', so now it's an 'XSA' "I didn't do it! & whoever said I did, is a liar!"
hunter_greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:41 AM   #829
richsuz
Adventurer
 
richsuz's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Guatemala
Oddometer: 97
Spokes for 17" rear rim with drum brake

Hey guys,
I finally decided to go for an allum 17 2.5 rim. Its a chinese made used for their 200/250 cc supermoto style rigs. I have been all over locally and on line looking for the spokes. The closest I got was the ones for the Virago 750, but they are over 1" longer than OEM. Any suggestions on what to do? Mikexs only has sets for 16, 18, 19 and 21 rims. I know some people have done the 17" convertion, but no specs on how.

thanks
richsuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:19 AM   #830
Fleksta
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Enfield, NH
Oddometer: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by richsuz View Post
Hey guys,
I finally decided to go for an allum 17 2.5 rim. Its a chinese made used for their 200/250 cc supermoto style rigs. I have been all over locally and on line looking for the spokes. The closest I got was the ones for the Virago 750, but they are over 1" longer than OEM. Any suggestions on what to do? Mikexs only has sets for 16, 18, 19 and 21 rims. I know some people have done the 17" convertion, but no specs on how.

thanks
Could you simply cut the longer spoke to the length you require; then use a spoke threader on the cut end? I've seen them for bicycles, but couldn't say if that would work for motorcycle spokes.
__________________

Fleksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:25 AM   #831
richsuz
Adventurer
 
richsuz's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Guatemala
Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleksta View Post
Could you simply cut the longer spoke to the length you require; then use a spoke threader on the cut end? I've seen them for bicycles, but couldn't say if that would work for motorcycle spokes.
I thought it was going to be that simple, until the Yamaha dealer guy pointed out that the threaded area is a little larger diameter and after rethreading, the nipples wouldn't work. People had done it before me. Is there a supplier that sells nipples with the appropiate size threaders?
richsuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:40 AM   #832
eric123
Gott Mit Uns
 
eric123's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Idaho
Oddometer: 1,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by richsuz View Post
I thought it was going to be that simple, until the Yamaha dealer guy pointed out that the threaded area is a little larger diameter and after rethreading, the nipples wouldn't work. People had done it before me. Is there a supplier that sells nipples with the appropiate size threaders?
http://www.buchananspokes.net/
eric123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:05 PM   #833
Speedo66
Transient
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Cin City, OH
Oddometer: 6,424
Woody's Wheels http://www.woodyswheelworks.com/home.htm
__________________
Oh I used to be disgusted, but now I try to be amused-E.Costello
'01 Kawasaki W650, '05 Yamaha XT225



Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:25 PM   #834
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller
 
hunter_greyghost's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Yass, Australia
Oddometer: 7,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by richsuz View Post
I thought it was going to be that simple, until the Yamaha dealer guy pointed out that the threaded area is a little larger diameter and after rethreading, the nipples wouldn't work. People had done it before me. Is there a supplier that sells nipples with the appropiate size threaders?
Keep us posted on how you end up, been thinking about doing the same
Cheers
Baza
__________________
1981 XS650SH "Tourer" [ For Sale - when / maybe?], 1975 XS650B "Adventure" ['Kenny Krazyhorse'], 1982 XL500R 'Project'
www.aussiegreyghost.smugmug.com
Couldn't afford a 'GSA', so now it's an 'XSA' "I didn't do it! & whoever said I did, is a liar!"
hunter_greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:16 AM   #835
richsuz
Adventurer
 
richsuz's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Guatemala
Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter_greyghost View Post
Keep us posted on how you end up, been thinking about doing the same
Cheers
Baza
Will do Baza. I just can't believe I may be the first one. Grump (my XS) just looks so helpless without his hind leg. Yes, I am riding a dude. I girls name just didn't fit his voice.
richsuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:19 AM   #836
richsuz
Adventurer
 
richsuz's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Guatemala
Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
Thanks Speedo66, too bad they are in Europe, that is definitively more expensive than getting them from the States. I am waiting for an answer from Buchanan's.
richsuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:04 PM   #837
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller
 
hunter_greyghost's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Yass, Australia
Oddometer: 7,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by richsuz View Post
Will do Baza. I just can't believe I may be the first one. Grump (my XS) just looks so helpless without his hind leg. Yes, I am riding a dude. I girls name just didn't fit his voice.
Good to see a bloke naming his bike, especially with a bloke's name.
'Kenny' [full name - 'Kenny Krazyhorse'], has made a reputation for himself out here on the ADV circuit as an XS650 that's not afraid to do the hard yards, quite funny the looks you get when people see a named bike.
My XS650SH Tourer is just called the 'White Beast', no gender definition!
Cheers
Baza
__________________
1981 XS650SH "Tourer" [ For Sale - when / maybe?], 1975 XS650B "Adventure" ['Kenny Krazyhorse'], 1982 XL500R 'Project'
www.aussiegreyghost.smugmug.com
Couldn't afford a 'GSA', so now it's an 'XSA' "I didn't do it! & whoever said I did, is a liar!"
hunter_greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:49 PM   #838
richsuz
Adventurer
 
richsuz's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Guatemala
Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter_greyghost View Post
Good to see a bloke naming his bike, especially with a bloke's name.
'Kenny' [full name - 'Kenny Krazyhorse'], has made a reputation for himself out here on the ADV circuit as an XS650 that's not afraid to do the hard yards, quite funny the looks you get when people see a named bike.
My XS650SH Tourer is just called the 'White Beast', no gender definition!
Cheers
Baza
My other ride's name is Big Bertha, after her namesake in two and a half men...They share attitudes...
richsuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 04:03 AM   #839
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller
 
hunter_greyghost's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Yass, Australia
Oddometer: 7,778
Back from Griffith Classic Ride, will post photos tomorrow, tired - gotta get ZZZZZZZZZZ
Cheers
Baza
__________________
1981 XS650SH "Tourer" [ For Sale - when / maybe?], 1975 XS650B "Adventure" ['Kenny Krazyhorse'], 1982 XL500R 'Project'
www.aussiegreyghost.smugmug.com
Couldn't afford a 'GSA', so now it's an 'XSA' "I didn't do it! & whoever said I did, is a liar!"
hunter_greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:32 AM   #840
BIG ED XT FAN
Beastly Adventurer
 
BIG ED XT FAN's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Finger Lakes Western New York
Oddometer: 1,193
XS Headlight?

How can i wire my headlight to come on with the key? Can it be done? My XS is a 81 650!! usa model.
BIG ED XT FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014