ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-25-2012, 09:19 PM   #856
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller
 
hunter_greyghost's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Yass, Australia
Oddometer: 8,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by dungspreader View Post
Here you go

If all goes well with this unit , I plan to build a larger sidear for my Vstrom , similar to the excellent Aussie self made sidecars that we see on Advrider .
Some of those are great units but wait 'til you have to dig one out of a bog or sand!
Cheers
Baza
__________________
1981 XS650SH "Tourer" [ For Sale - when / maybe?], 1975 XS650B "Adventure" ['Kenny Krazyhorse'], 1982 XL500R 'Project'
www.aussiegreyghost.smugmug.com
Couldn't afford a 'GSA', so now it's an 'XSA' "I didn't do it! & whoever said I did, is a liar!"
hunter_greyghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:49 PM   #857
redfishguide
Old Dirt Biker
 
redfishguide's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Beaufort, South Carolina
Oddometer: 443
Thanks alot!!!

Jack


Quote:
Originally Posted by dungspreader View Post
Here you go !



I didn't fabricate the suspension , it's standard for that sidecar .
Very simple to make though , just two shafts [ axles ] joined in a kinda Z shape with taper roller bearings . One end holds the wheel hub which is free to rotate. At the other end the shaft is welded to the frame and it's outer tube rotates to provide the suspension movement via an arm which is attached to a motorcycle coil shock .
It's a lightweight unit for a lightweight sidecar , if I was to build one , I would beef it up a bit .

You could make a similar set up with two trailer hubs .

If all goes well with this unit , I plan to build a larger sidear for my Vstrom , similar to the excellent Aussie self made sidecars that we see on Advrider .
redfishguide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:33 PM   #858
dungspreader
King of the Heap
 
dungspreader's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: In a field somewhere ,muttering .
Oddometer: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter_greyghost View Post
Some of those are great units but wait 'til you have to dig one out of a bog or sand!
Cheers
Baza
Yeh , I can imagine .
That's what mates are for .

One of the reasons for mounting a chair on the Vstrom was beause I don't like picking it up .
So maybe we'll have to carry a shovel and one of those handy chainsaw winches .
__________________
I thought WanKing was a town in China 'till I discovered Adventure Rider
dungspreader is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:34 AM   #859
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller
 
hunter_greyghost's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Yass, Australia
Oddometer: 8,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by dungspreader View Post
Yeh , I can imagine .
That's what mates are for .

One of the reasons for mounting a chair on the Vstrom was beause I don't like picking it up .
So maybe we'll have to carry a shovel and one of those handy chainsaw winches .


One of the nicer outfits around, belongs to ADV inmate called Clancy from down Melbourne [Victoria] way, photo @ 2010 OCR @Wanaaring NSW

Cheers
Baza
__________________
1981 XS650SH "Tourer" [ For Sale - when / maybe?], 1975 XS650B "Adventure" ['Kenny Krazyhorse'], 1982 XL500R 'Project'
www.aussiegreyghost.smugmug.com
Couldn't afford a 'GSA', so now it's an 'XSA' "I didn't do it! & whoever said I did, is a liar!"
hunter_greyghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:34 AM   #860
MightyChosen1
I wanna be sedated
 
MightyChosen1's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Central,IL
Oddometer: 1,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter_greyghost View Post

One of the nicer outfits around, belongs to ADV inmate called Clancy from down Melbourne [Victoria] way, photo @ 2010 OCR @Wanaaring NSW

Cheers
Baza
That is a nice rig. You fellows down south seem to have the best hacks anywhere. At first glance I thought the 3 tubes on the front lid were some kind of rocket launchers, The ultimate ADV accessory.


Got my XS fired up today. Spending a little extra time on the carbs paid off. Started up with a little bit of choke, No leaks , And it idles now as well. Just need to chase down a couple of electrical demons and tighten everything up and I will be ready for a road test.
__________________
Formally known as Furious D, I'm getting to old to be furious.
MightyChosen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:22 PM   #861
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller
 
hunter_greyghost's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Yass, Australia
Oddometer: 8,000
Went to the 2012 Griffith Classic Ride on 20th April;


Only two other XS650's there, nice '73TX

'81 SH Special

& of course - 'Kenny'
Cheers
Baza
__________________
1981 XS650SH "Tourer" [ For Sale - when / maybe?], 1975 XS650B "Adventure" ['Kenny Krazyhorse'], 1982 XL500R 'Project'
www.aussiegreyghost.smugmug.com
Couldn't afford a 'GSA', so now it's an 'XSA' "I didn't do it! & whoever said I did, is a liar!"
hunter_greyghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:10 AM   #862
AtLarge
Gnarly Adventurer
 
AtLarge's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Oddometer: 125
That 73 TX is gorgeous.
__________________
1973 CL70-K3
1983 KZ750-K1
2008 GSX1300-BKK8 #1120
Cardo Scala rider G4 PowerSet
AtLarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:52 AM   #863
Fleksta
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Enfield, NH
Oddometer: 113
Finally had her out on the road:





I went with the Mikesxs Commando exhaust system. It sounds fantastic, but is only slightly louder than stock.

Just need to get the Hugh's Handbuilt PMA & Pamco ignition installed one of these weekends. But she goes down the road fine, so no hurry
__________________

Fleksta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:15 PM   #864
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller
 
hunter_greyghost's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Yass, Australia
Oddometer: 8,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleksta View Post
Finally had her out on the road:


I went with the Mikesxs Commando exhaust system. It sounds fantastic, but is only slightly louder than stock.

Just need to get the Hugh's Handbuilt PMA & Pamco ignition installed one of these weekends. But she goes down the road fine, so no hurry
Takes awhile to sort out what you want but always worth it in the long run!
Pamco system works well, have it on my '81 SH, just gotta watch the little pick-up pins don't fall out,easy to fix though, bit of silastic works!

Cheers
Baza
__________________
1981 XS650SH "Tourer" [ For Sale - when / maybe?], 1975 XS650B "Adventure" ['Kenny Krazyhorse'], 1982 XL500R 'Project'
www.aussiegreyghost.smugmug.com
Couldn't afford a 'GSA', so now it's an 'XSA' "I didn't do it! & whoever said I did, is a liar!"
hunter_greyghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:00 PM   #865
dungspreader
King of the Heap
 
dungspreader's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: In a field somewhere ,muttering .
Oddometer: 451
Tub

Managed to find time to fit the tub today .



__________________
I thought WanKing was a town in China 'till I discovered Adventure Rider
dungspreader is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:18 AM   #866
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller
 
hunter_greyghost's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Yass, Australia
Oddometer: 8,000
Looking very nice, you're never going for a ride without a passenger again I'd say!
Cheers
Baza
__________________
1981 XS650SH "Tourer" [ For Sale - when / maybe?], 1975 XS650B "Adventure" ['Kenny Krazyhorse'], 1982 XL500R 'Project'
www.aussiegreyghost.smugmug.com
Couldn't afford a 'GSA', so now it's an 'XSA' "I didn't do it! & whoever said I did, is a liar!"
hunter_greyghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:51 PM   #867
MightyChosen1
I wanna be sedated
 
MightyChosen1's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Central,IL
Oddometer: 1,281
I got my hack on the road today as well. Drives pretty good but I need to tweak the alignment a bit, car wants to pull to the right.





I still have about a weeks worth of work before I call it roadworthy. A little wiring and tuning and need to replace the front mount on the car since I found a small crack in one of bolts. I might try to have it welded for now but no way am I going to take my kids for a ride till I deem it 100% safe.
__________________
Formally known as Furious D, I'm getting to old to be furious.
MightyChosen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:23 PM   #868
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller
 
hunter_greyghost's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Yass, Australia
Oddometer: 8,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyChosen1 View Post
I got my hack on the road today as well. Drives pretty good but I need to tweak the alignment a bit, car wants to pull to the right.



I still have about a weeks worth of work before I call it roadworthy. A little wiring and tuning and need to replace the front mount on the car since I found a small crack in one of bolts. I might try to have it welded for now but no way am I going to take my kids for a ride till I deem it 100% safe.
Is that screwdriver through the top front mount an optional extra?
Looks like a nice set-up, those bodies are not common out here in Oz
Cheers
Baza
__________________
1981 XS650SH "Tourer" [ For Sale - when / maybe?], 1975 XS650B "Adventure" ['Kenny Krazyhorse'], 1982 XL500R 'Project'
www.aussiegreyghost.smugmug.com
Couldn't afford a 'GSA', so now it's an 'XSA' "I didn't do it! & whoever said I did, is a liar!"
hunter_greyghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:10 PM   #869
MightyChosen1
I wanna be sedated
 
MightyChosen1's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Central,IL
Oddometer: 1,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter_greyghost View Post
Is that screwdriver through the top front mount an optional extra?
Looks like a nice set-up, those bodies are not common out here in Oz
Cheers
Baza

That way I always have a screwdriver handy when the XS breaks down.



I would guess the Velorex is one of the more common cars here. Not a bad unit but the frame is a little light duty. I hope to remedy that next year by strengthening the suspension or maybe a entire new frame might be in order.
__________________
Formally known as Furious D, I'm getting to old to be furious.
MightyChosen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:16 AM   #870
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller
 
hunter_greyghost's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Yass, Australia
Oddometer: 8,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyChosen1 View Post
That way I always have a screwdriver handy when the XS breaks down.



I would guess the Velorex is one of the more common cars here. Not a bad unit but the frame is a little light duty. I hope to remedy that next year by strengthening the suspension or maybe a entire new frame might be in order.
I've always liked that style of body, very nice lines
Cheers
Baza
__________________
1981 XS650SH "Tourer" [ For Sale - when / maybe?], 1975 XS650B "Adventure" ['Kenny Krazyhorse'], 1982 XL500R 'Project'
www.aussiegreyghost.smugmug.com
Couldn't afford a 'GSA', so now it's an 'XSA' "I didn't do it! & whoever said I did, is a liar!"
hunter_greyghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014