Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2011, 12:50 PM   #76
eric123
Gott Mit Uns

Oddometer: 1,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by east high View Post
5? Hmmm, you should sell me one
I have been selling off my spares for awhile now...The last ones will follow me to the grave...
eric123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 01:38 PM   #77
kullokas
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Well let's don't forget XS500...
kullokas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 02:24 PM   #78
fleshpiston
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powershouse View Post
They're cheap, readily available parts, not too complicated, and provide a great canvass for creativity.

Yep, I went the cafe route but wish I would've built more of a standard.....probably would've kept it then.

KLR650
fleshpiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 04:20 PM   #79
eric123
Gott Mit Uns

Oddometer: 1,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by kullokas View Post
Well let's don't forget XS500...

Unfortunately XS500's weren't very good bikes...
eric123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 05:07 PM   #80
2manyrides
shifty charactor

Oddometer: 1,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by east high View Post
How do the other variants stack up against the 650 such as the 400s and 750s? Is it just a displacement thing?
My observation is that 77D and 78E share many non essential crossover parts that can be bolted directly on a 650 from off another bike.
Parts like tailights, complete instrument clusters/ignition switch, fenders, signals, headlights, in some cases mufflers and shocks.
Off bikes around the same year...rd 400's, dt360, XS750 and so on.
Amazingly an xs 650 special's parts may not bolt right on a xs 650 STD of the same year.
Seat pans, muffler brackets ect.
An XS 650 came stock weighing 465lbs. Just about 100lbs more than a triumph 650!
77 is the last year of adjustable air/fuel screw.
In 78 and beyond the headlight/tailight has to be on at all times while the engine is running by law.
Very limited production of 79 STD's, then poof...only specials.
Lot's more plastic was incorperated into a special.
Most parts on a 650 special wont fit on anything else.

I believe the XS650 motor is unlike any of the displacements...
(but then...I haven't rebuilt any of those other motors)

Just my observation through the years...

and here's my channel...
http://www.youtube.com/user/2manyrides?feature=mhsn#p/u
2manyrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:18 PM   #81
Viser
Yeeeeaaaahhh!

Oddometer: 41
Looks like a few nice XS's around here. Picked mine up in May last year and started playing around with a few different looks. I've decided to go with more of a Scrambler look, but this is how it sat up until the now started flying. It's been a ton of fun to play with!

Old 01-28-2011, 06:23 PM   #82
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer: 7,661
Can't swap gearbox cogs between Specials & 447-Standards either, Specials have different cuts on the bevels [teeth], however, you can swap the whole box between Specials & Standards, most other parts do interchange apart from seats, if you end up with an imported bike from Europe, you may find other engine differences such as stroke etc, as well as wiring issues.
Check out Australia's XS650 National Club website;-
www.xs650.org.au/

Cheers
Baza
hunter_greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:26 PM   #83
TheRadBaron
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
Here's a couple pictures of the XS650 scrambler that I built. Man, do I love this bike. It's heavy for off road use, but I would ride it to the far reaches of the globe with confidence.
I managed to build one "good" motor out of three bad ones for it and I don't think that the rings ever sealed. It burns more oil than a motor should be able to burn and still run. Run great, actually. Thanks to that 75,000 volt green monster coil I haven't fouled a plug yet...except for that one time when I went underwater. Does a soaking wet plug count as fouled?

Old 01-28-2011, 09:07 PM   #84
1f2frfbf
full-time fool

Oddometer: 42
It's fun to see all the centerstands on this thread. Apparently a lot of people share my hatred of the "too short" stock kickstand. That lean angle gives me a heart attack, every time. It and the alternator rotor with the brushes and my two least favorite design ideas. Well that and the plastic bushings, but I'm convinced an accountant snuck into that design meeting.

Also, I think '79 was the last year for the adjustable air screw, with the switch to the BS34 carb in 1980 it went away for good, but it was there on the 78-79's, just hidden. The early Specials still have a good bit of metal, but starting in '80, there's a lot more plastic and the seat suddenly switched to the rear hinge. Most parts may not fit exactly but can be coaxed into position... if you're desperate.
Old 01-29-2011, 01:57 AM   #85
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer: 7,661
Changed the sidestand on my '74 to allow the bashplate to fit on,
[rear bike in photo]

Couldn't find any close-up shots but you see if you enlarge the photos.
Cut the mount off and moved it back, attached it on the exhaust mounts on the frame, bit of engineering but works well.
Cheers
Baza

hunter_greyghost screwed with this post 01-29-2011 at 02:03 AM
hunter_greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 08:48 AM   #86
twinsarehot
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1f2frfbf View Post
It's fun to see all the centerstands on this thread. Apparently a lot of people share my hatred of the "too short" stock kickstand. That lean angle gives me a heart attack, every time. It and the alternator rotor with the brushes and my two least favorite design ideas. Well that and the plastic bushings, but I'm convinced an accountant snuck into that design meeting.

Also, I think '79 was the last year for the adjustable air screw, with the switch to the BS34 carb in 1980 it went away for good, but it was there on the 78-79's, just hidden. The early Specials still have a good bit of metal, but starting in '80, there's a lot more plastic and the seat suddenly switched to the rear hinge. Most parts may not fit exactly but can be coaxed into position... if you're desperate.
Yes, the charging on these have always been terrible. A lot of people have been retrofitting permanent magneto's. Apparently super easy to throw one on from a Yamaha Banshee. Also for some reason my 82 came with adjustable air screws...not complaining at all. The BS34's work VERY well and efficiently with aftermarket needles. Otherwise they are kinda lackluster.

this bike DOES have a gangsta lean.

That's why I usually leave it on my bike jack. BTW Visor, that kind of seat is that? Looks wicked awesome for a solo seat!
twinsarehot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 11:51 AM   #87
Garbln
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 438
Most bikes of that era till today have brushes on the rotors as does the alternator on your car. Nothing wrong with the basic idea, it's just a little light duty on the old XS. Same basic system as on my BMW's also a little light duty too. Brushes on rotors is not the real problem. Of course the "new" perm mag system with a zener regulator is cool now. But wait, that was the Lucas system in the 50's and 60's and it worked swell then?

Garbln screwed with this post 01-29-2011 at 12:02 PM
Garbln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 11:53 AM   #88
drhach
gorillamanufacturing.com

Oddometer: 2,233
I passed on so many of these way back before the cafe/bobber idiocy struck our nation. Now it seems either you can't find a stock one or they want an arm and a leg for them. I still hear about the mythical "cheap XS650" purchase, but it hasn't happened for me yet and I just can't stomach some othe prices these are fetching. It hurts, I really want one.
drhach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 12:09 PM   #89
2manyrides
shifty charactor

Oddometer: 1,583
what he wrote

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhach View Post
I passed on so many of these way back before the cafe/bobber idiocy struck our nation. Now it seems either you can't find a stock one or they want an arm and a leg for them. I still hear about the mythical "cheap XS650" purchase, but it hasn't happened for me yet and I just can't stomach some othe prices these are fetching. It hurts, I really want one.
I too feel the same way.
The chopper brat craze, the exporting of barn finds out of the US.
Will there be any left that arent bastardized?

and here's my channel...
http://www.youtube.com/user/2manyrides?feature=mhsn#p/u
2manyrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 06:18 PM   #90
Viser
Yeeeeaaaahhh!

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinsarehot View Post

That's why I usually leave it on my bike jack. BTW Visor, that kind of seat is that? Looks wicked awesome for a solo seat!
Thanks Twinsarehot, it's actually a Solo Sportster seat thats been retro-fitted to work and its been growing on me. I really like what you have going on with your bike, do you have any pics of the other side to share with us? I've been wanting to do a 2-1 exhaust but see guys saying they can't tune it right...