Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2012, 09:48 PM   #931
dungspreader
King of the Heap

Oddometer: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter_greyghost View Post
Mount that with a plaque & give it to someone as a 'Hard Luck' award @ the next rally you go to!
Cheers
Baza

I had something like that in mind

I will give a prize for the best caption to the above photo .
Prize is one dead rotor and you pay for shipping .
Old 05-26-2012, 09:57 PM   #932
dungspreader
King of the Heap

Oddometer: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR700 View Post
Car alternator and be done with it ...

The alternator drive is the best part .
Old 05-26-2012, 10:50 PM   #933
FR700
Heckler™©®

Oddometer: 5,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by dungspreader View Post
The alternator drive is the best part .

Some ones project bike . Early fab' stages .

I did find a guy in australia that made an internal alternator from a local gm product ( holden ) . Even made his own head and barrels out of billet ... thought that one may have been a bit too much ... 840cc , water cooled turbo , F.I. , hand made frame ...

Old 05-27-2012, 02:01 PM   #934
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer: 7,634
Went for a ride yesterday up into the Brindabella Valley west of Canberra,

This what we were confronted with, some bastard is trying to close one of the nicest little valleys in Australia,

gotta check out the legislation on this, we have some complicated laws in Australia concerning land usage

Photo time!

Three completely different bikes - DRF's DR650, havafati's 1150GS & my XS650

Flood damage happened early this year

Cheers
Baza
hunter_greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:47 AM   #935
2manyrides
shifty charactor

Oddometer: 1,583
OK, still have a few more "bugs"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22manyrides View Post
Still have some issues...

You can look back and see what happened so far...multipal pages/posts back.
wasn't completely sure it was finished acting up. It's not

Engine run switch can be corroded. It was a little crusty, I robbed from spares and reassembled. Now renewed

I looked into the advance and found it was hanging up again.
Arrrggh

The screw that holds the diode board down to the pamco backing plate had backed out. Still in place rubbing the back side of the magnet rotor.
It could either miss or scrape...Fixed

One of the sirclips to hold the bob weights on was missing!...
Robbed and replaced from spares

Over 2,500 foot and seemed to bog at elevation.
Time to tweak adjustments to the stock settings on my carbs now that I'm running the cocktail shakers...Clip was on groove 3, stock is 4 from top.
The latest
Off to work...
Parked out front, door open...what's that smell???
Out to look and gas is burbling out and making a puddle.
Needle stuck? tap, tap...still overflowing...shut gas off, ride home later, come to stop, still overflowing.
Next day remove carbs, look at seat/needle...ok...
Shake right side float...!!#$%^^&^!, gas partly filling both pods.
Rob from spare carbs, set needle clip on groove 4...test run...holding gas, but that was the wrong direction to lean it out for higher elevation...

Since it got to this point, I perceived that it might need a bit of adjustment at the sinc screw and indeed this seems to have it purring evenly through both mufflers. Done with just a fraction of a turn.
Now I think I can remove the tops and set the clip on groove 2 with out removing the carbs. I'll try that today, run around town, assess the charateristics and hold for a trip to higher elevation before the final position is varified as good.

Now at 1,500 miles since swapping the 1981 motor into the 77D.
1981 motor runs rebuilt 77 carbs with stock air filters minus the defuser foam in the intake. Pamco ignition. Upswept cocktail shakers.

Repeat performace as needed. (previously posted swap vid);

and here's my channel...
http://www.youtube.com/user/2manyrides?feature=mhsn#p/u
2manyrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 02:43 PM   #936
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Sounds like the sort of comedy of errors that I usually have happen,
or just plain chasing your tail, makes you want to............. say f*** it, but then again once you get it right -there's nothing like a sweet running XS650!
Cheers
Baza
Old 05-31-2012, 03:22 PM   #937
2manyrides
shifty charactor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter_greyghost View Post
Sounds like the sort of comedy of errors that I usually have happen,
or just plain chasing your tail, makes you want to............. say f*** it, but then again once you get it right -there's nothing like a sweet running XS650!
Cheers
Baza
Not a lot of frustration involved with this...
But before this latest refurbish, even though a bit cruddy, at least it was foolproof and trusty.
Now there have been these little hang-ups...
charging
clutch
float sinking
pamco screw
ect...
But a short ride today with needle on groove two and the recent other small fixes have it purring nicely.
Whether getting it on, backing off or just holding steady.
Seems at 1,500 miles I no longer have as much packing in the mufflers.
The fiberglass was expected to maybe last one season.

Now business taken care of I'm off on another ride round town...she feels good!

and here's my channel...
Old 05-31-2012, 09:20 PM   #938
MightyChosen1
I wanna be sedated

Oddometer: 1,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22manyrides View Post
Not a lot of frustration involved with this...
But before this latest refurbish, even though a bit cruddy, at least it was foolproof and trusty.
Now there have been these little hang-ups...
charging
clutch
float sinking
pamco screw
ect...
But a short ride today with needle on groove two and the recent other small fixes have it purring nicely.
Whether getting it on, backing off or just holding steady.
Seems at 1,500 miles I no longer have as much packing in the mufflers.
The fiberglass was expected to maybe last one season.

Now business taken care of I'm off on another ride round town...she feels good!

I feel your pain. I took a running , rideable bike and have turned it into a pile of parts over the last 6 months. All the bike really needed was some carb tuning and a rear tire but somehow its turned into a major project.

Hopefully I have two issue to work out and it will be ready for a test ride. I am waiting for a 2nd charging rotor since the first one they sent was wrong and I need to sort out the turn signals and it will be somewhat street legal. I think after this one is done I need to take a break from bike projects, after 20 or so years of always having a project in the garage I,m getting burnt out.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:26 AM   #939
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyChosen1 View Post
I feel your pain. I took a running , rideable bike and have turned it into a pile of parts over the last 6 months. All the bike really needed was some carb tuning and a rear tire but somehow its turned into a major project.

Hopefully I have two issue to work out and it will be ready for a test ride. I am waiting for a 2nd charging rotor since the first one they sent was wrong and I need to sort out the turn signals and it will be somewhat street legal. I think after this one is done I need to take a break from bike projects, after 20 or so years of always having a project in the garage I,m getting burnt out.

You'll get bored looking for something to do, and probably fall into the 'I'll just adjust that' syndrome
Cheers
Baza
Old 06-10-2012, 08:22 AM   #940
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Did the 'Alpine' Rally this weekend

plenty of this stuff about, no snow - just black ice - white ice - dirt or tar,
it didn't matter, plenty big tales told

This photo contains an XS650 frame with an XV1000 motor shoved in, Doonie's wild rig,

'White Beast' feeling a lot whiter with -8c frost on board

Some got dirty
Cheers
Baza
Old 06-10-2012, 01:06 PM   #941
retiredgentleman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Baza ;

You Aussie guys are just having too much fun.....................keep doing it

cheers
RG
retiredgentleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 04:15 PM   #942
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredgentleman View Post
Baza ;

You Aussie guys are just having too much fun.....................keep doing it

cheers
RG

Ya gotta remember that I'm not shy when it comes to dirt either!

Sunday morning around the campfire, 500 Matchless in the background

Lots of these fellas - R80GS/PD models

More photos of Doonie's XS650/XV1000 hybrid

Father & sons with their Triumph outfit

Cheers
Baza
Old 06-11-2012, 06:30 AM   #943
2manyrides
shifty charactor

If you want to appreatiate them, don't dump em...

So...the latest...
I have set the needle's clip at groove #2 in order to acheive better response at small throttle openings at higher elevations. I wanted to do a test run to the higher country to check results. My buddy just finished a few things to dial in the 300 bucker I sold him...
progressive springs
change fork tubes
rebuilt forks
black out fender/sliders
bit of clutch work
ect...ect

We headed out at 8 am with coats and coolness. Jumped on the freeway and headed for the mountains. Off at missouri flat and onto pleasant valley road. And OHHH it was so nice!

Stopped for a breather on the dam at jenkinson lake in sly park...

Then hightailed it up iron mountain road. A steady climb in elevation, our 650 motors pulling all the way.
You can keep it in 5th or downshift to 4th as needed to keep a 65-70mph traveling speed.

A stop at the beginning of silver fork road, we are having a wonderful ride. Very beautiful scenery a leisurely pace and great roads.

Another stop down at the silver fork. This is where there's a confluence with caples creek. The road itself has some sand piled up in spots and some bumps from roots raising the asphault. We're on a pleasure cruise and taking it easy enjoying the scenery...
All is good! Plans were made to go from here, stop in to eat and continue an additional loop up ice house road because we're making good time. My needle adjustment seems to have helped a bit, but the doggedness is just inherant to the free flow of my shorty cocktail shakers. Oh well, I'm not looking for a high performance blazing rocket so this'll do fine. I now seem to have worked out all the bugs, am running steady and true with no more burping. My individual exhaust notes seem to coinside well when judging L+R. We continue on the silver fork road.

Where I center punch this pothole on the right having not seen it in time to even apply brakes. My buddy, right behind, somehow managed to catch the wrong groove washing off the high point between the two. I turned to look as he was on his way down.
Magnetic tank bag in air, bike-a-flying.
I came to a full stop, got on centerstand asap. No time for a picture at this point as the rider is pinned under the bike motionless.
In the end... a damaged shoulder is going to need surgury much sooner now. After some time to over come shock and dizzyness I was able to strap his hemet on his head and get him going. We went straight home to his house where I put his bike away. His ole'lady came home just in time to nurse him. He'll be calling in sick!

Ouch is right! You'd think that the county road crews should be responsible for this crash. These 6" deep potholes didn't just happen over night! they've been there long enough for fellow riders to post a warning, a warning we didn't see in time.

Geez, I've never wrecked a foot peg that bad!

The angle of attack was such that it ground down the nub on this glass.

The fresh paint is going to need touch up, let alone straightening. You should see the fork ears...! toast.
I'm running out of spare parts for him.

The bikes ran well on the way home...straight home, end of ride.
Having set the trip meter at 000 when we left home, my buddies luck wasn't so good as the crash happened right as the trip meter rolled over to 777. Go figure!

and here's my channel...
Old 06-11-2012, 07:11 AM   #944
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Hope your offsider is healing & it's not gunna stop him from riding for too long.
Bike is pretty good for what happend, then again XS650 were bred for this stuff, knock'em down, get up & keep going [bikes anyway]
I'm always amazed @ what my bikes endure without quitting!
Cheers
Baza
Old 06-11-2012, 06:12 PM   #945
SOS
Ignorance is a gift

Oddometer: 707
XS650 / YZ125 Dual Sport

Bummer on the crash. I hope the recovery for both the rider and the bike are speedy and complete!

I posted a while ago about using the suspension from a 1987 YZ125 and grafting it onto 1979 XS650 2F. It is not as easy as I had hoped, but we are making progress. The front end (triple trees, forks and wheel) seemed like it would slip right on using the XS650 bearings. Not so:( We thought we had a 1986 YZ125 and the bearing dimensions worked, but we actually have a 1987 YZ125 with different bearings. Also, while the mono shock swing arm from the YZ bolted right up to the XS650 with the XS650 axle and the sprocket alignment was spot on, ... the rest required a lot of fab and work.

Here is where it sits now.

We made the rear suspension work by fabricating a shorter dog bone on the rear linkage and the front end required cutting the stem from the XS650 lower tree and machining the upper and lower tree plates from the YZ125.

We do have 11" of ground clearance, 9" of rear travel and 11" of front travel. And with significant preload on the rear shock we have about 2" of static sag. The wheel base is 62". I did not measure the trail yet and still have no real idea about the final weight, but we'll get there.

There might be better bases for the conversion, but this is how this one is working out.