Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2012, 03:58 PM   #1051
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer: 7,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfishguide View Post
Dunno Ray but I sure like the looks of that "rig". Wonder if there are any other pics?? How bout it Hunter grey ghost.

Jack

That's all the photos 'Doctor' took of that beast, he likes to stir me up finding XS650s around the place
Cheers
Baza
hunter_greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:00 PM   #1052
redfishguide
Old Dirt Biker

Oddometer: 415
Thanks much Hunter Greyghost. I'm seriously considering building an XS rig and have had a tough time finding good photos of how they are attaching the car.

I have 7 or 8 XS 650's stashed around my shop with at least four titles. Even more motors. Only one complete (tracker) that I built and another project started. There's some photos of the tracker here somewhere.
http://tinyurl.com/4dndf

I know you don't want to hear this but I bought 4 maybe 80% complete bikes for $300 usd. None were actually running at the time. That was a couple of years ago. I have since managed to pick up a couple more even cheaper but less complete.

Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter_greyghost View Post

That's all the photos 'Doctor' took of that beast, he likes to stir me up finding XS650s around the place
Cheers
Baza
redfishguide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:18 PM   #1053
MightyChosen1
Flim-Flam Man

Oddometer: 1,209
Bluhduh

Quote:

That exhaust is cool . I would like to build something like that exits higher to allow for water crossings.

RedFish, I will try and take some pics of my mounts. I am going to build a proper sub-frame when I get rid of the factory exhaust. If you want to see how a proper XS sidecar rig is built check out GordonScotts outfit over on the XS650 forum:

http://www.xs650.com/forum/tags.php?tag=third+wheel
Old 09-10-2012, 01:49 PM   #1054
rw4x4van
East Coast Rider

Oddometer: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfishguide View Post
Thanks much Hunter Greyghost. I'm seriously considering building an XS rig and have had a tough time finding good photos of how they are attaching the car.

I have 7 or 8 XS 650's stashed around my shop with at least four titles. Even more motors. Only one complete (tracker) that I built and another project started. There's some photos of the tracker here somewhere.
http://tinyurl.com/4dndf

I know you don't want to hear this but I bought 4 maybe 80% complete bikes for $300 usd. None were actually running at the time. That was a couple of years ago. I have since managed to pick up a couple more even cheaper but less complete.

Jack
Jack,... I could be wrong but I think I remember reading the frames are one piece , meaning they are not detachable like a sidecar

'98 KTM 620 RXC
'07 KTM 300 XCW
rw4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:25 PM   #1055
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Jack

You blokes over there have all the luck, but as you know it takes a lot of time & effort [& $$$$$], to rebuild from those conditions
Still it's a lot cheaper than over here
Cheers
Baza
Old 09-10-2012, 06:14 PM   #1056
MightyChosen1
Flim-Flam Man

Oddometer: 1,209
Quote:

Jack

You blokes over there have all the luck, but as you know it takes a lot of time & effort [& $$$$$], to rebuild from those conditions
Still it's a lot cheaper than over here
Cheers
Baza

It seems that the price of decent XS's has dropped around here. Maybe the chopper/Bobber craze is coming to an end. I have seen a couple complete running bikes with titles for around $500 and missed a deal by minutes on two bikes and enough parts to build another for $300.

I am always on the lookout for nice uncut standard or even an an XS1or 2 but they dont come up for sale very often.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:22 PM   #1057
redfishguide
Old Dirt Biker

Oddometer: 415
I believe your right Ray but they still give me ideas about mounting. Those race hacks have to be seriously strong to withstand the pounding they get. I do believe the pricipals of mounting involved are useful.

Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by rw4x4van View Post
Jack,... I could be wrong but I think I remember reading the frames are one piece , meaning they are not detachable like a sidecar
redfishguide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:49 AM   #1058
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

A few photos from the 'Far Cairn' rally on the weekend

'White Beast' guarding the tents

Very civilised rally held @ Tottenham showground, brings in heaps of money for the local community, also raises lots of money for M.A.R.I. - Motor Accident Reabilitation Initative,

started five years ago by a couple of motorcycle riders - George & Clarise

Clarise & the bike that her & George rode around the world on during the '60's, still being ridden by them,
now in their 80's George & Clarise, who donated $30K [au] from their book sales to start the ball rolling, the program is run from St Vincent's Hospital in Sydney & provides ongoing support for motorcycle riders who have had a severe accident; limb loss, etc.

Saturday night campfire

Sunday dawning

Only found these 'oldies', not many classic stuff there
Had a great time but blew my Regulator/Rectifier coming home, probably had something to do with high speeds during the weekend -120kph [80mph] most of the time.
Cheers
Baza

hunter_greyghost screwed with this post 09-17-2012 at 03:04 AM
Old 09-17-2012, 11:22 AM   #1059
Kt-88
I like everything.

Oddometer: 529
Probably advrider isn't the place to love this, but I love it.

Super fun, impractical, and obnoxious. Archaic and a tad dangerous. A blast to ride.
Kt-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:55 PM   #1060
rider929
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kt-88 View Post

Super fun, impractical, and obnoxious. Archaic and a tad dangerous. A blast to ride.
I like it. I have always thought that people that really love motorcycles like all kinds of motorcycles. I am working on this one now.

Old 09-17-2012, 02:39 PM   #1061
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kt-88

I like it. I have always thought that people that really love motorcycles like all kinds of motorcycles. I am working on this one now.

A pair of wild bikes but they have great hearts
Cheers
Baza
Old 09-18-2012, 03:47 AM   #1062
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Here's an oldie from 1979 Alpine Rally

Yep it's a road registered XS650 short circuit outfit
Cheers
Baza
Old 09-18-2012, 12:51 PM   #1063
Kt-88
I like everything.

Oddometer: 529
That's wild. I'd ride it.
Kt-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:48 PM   #1064
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kt-88 View Post
That's wild. I'd ride it.
Would have taken some fortitude to get it in there to that rally site, very rough track and being low as that, ouch!
Cheers
Baza
Old 09-21-2012, 01:52 AM   #1065
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Frustrating Story

well, as you probably know, I love my XS650's but sometimes they really test my patience, example in telling;

Put one of these coloured LED voltmeters on both bikes, no problems - work great, on the way up & back to the 'FarCairn' Rally, it was showing very little charge happening, fair enough - everything wears out eventually
Got home running on the battery - phew!
Spent hours yesterday checking alternator stator / brushes / regulator / rectifier / wiring harness, etc - nothing, no charging - narda.
Went though all manual wiring diagrams [Haynes & Clymer], testing everything, hhhhhmm what's going on here?

Had a brain storm/fart, whatever, try different rotor, green lights everywhere, you bloody beauty, back on deck again,
Q1;- now the biggy is - I want buy a new one [MikesXS], but remember some where on this thread [or another one?], that some people have had bad stories about some stuff from MikesXS - is it the rebuilt ones or new?

Q2;- looking at giving one of these PMA units a whirl as well, anybody got a story about them as well, good or bad, I'd like some feedback please
Cheers
Baza