Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2012, 01:49 AM   #1096
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer: 7,653
General opinon seems to be that Nabiac is the biggest motorcycle museum in Australia, well so far anyway, debate hasn't been really spirited yet but it's only early in the night yet
Cheers
Baza
hunter_greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:24 PM   #1097
CoyoteCowboy
Easily Distracted

Oddometer: 306
Damn there's a ton of cool stuff in there!!! Hey Baza, why don't you start a new thread with those pics? I'm sure everyone else would enjoy getting a peek at those
Old 10-19-2012, 06:45 PM   #1098
pbarmy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,818
My buddy SOS's project.

Old 10-20-2012, 07:09 AM   #1099
motomike14
Thumper Crusader

Oddometer: 1,672
Schwing!

I drink the koolaid too...just not the orange kind.
motomike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:30 AM   #1100
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarmy View Post
My buddy SOS's project.

What's the details about the frontend? also the rear end set-up as well?
looks great, can't wait for the end result!
Cheers
Baza
Old 10-21-2012, 09:21 AM   #1101
mookybird
Gramps

Oddometer: 213
I hauled an 81 home in boxes a couple of weeks ago, it's this winters project and I'm looking forward to enjoying it.

My TT500 is only going to get out about six days each season so I'm borrowing / swapping the tank and fender which is only a few minutes to change over.

Looking forward to using it for local riding and general goofing off, I have a pretty high tolerance for fun but a long trip on this seat would probably more fun than I'm good for at 57, I'll update the picture when I get it on the road. denny/gramps

mookybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:12 AM   #1102
redfishguide
Old Dirt Biker

Oddometer: 432
I've been playing with a similar project but finally gave up on the mono shock idea. Either way he will have issues with the chain angle crossing the front of the swing arm. I have a plastic runner off a DR 650 which may work but haven't run it yet.

Jack

[/QUOTE]
redfishguide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:14 PM   #1103
pbarmy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,818
The front end and swingarm are off a YZ125.Our friend milled the triple trees to work.However he found an old MX(400?) and is thinking of using that frontend.I'm not sure of all the details,and he's very busy with his shop,so I don't know if he'll find time to post about the build here.
Old 10-21-2012, 04:29 PM   #1104
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarmy View Post
The front end and swingarm are off a YZ125.Our friend milled the triple trees to work.However he found an old MX(400?) and is thinking of using that frontend.I'm not sure of all the details,and he's very busy with his shop,so I don't know if he'll find time to post about the build here.
Thanks for posting, still looking for a replacement front end off a more modern bike
Cheers
Baza
Old 10-22-2012, 03:21 AM   #1105
chip77
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter_greyghost View Post
General opinon seems to be that Nabiac is the biggest motorcycle museum in Australia, well so far anyway, debate hasn't been really spirited yet but it's only early in the night yet
Cheers
Baza
G.day all Spent a couple of enjoyable hours in Nabiac a week or so back.750 bikes I think they said.It was my second visit after at least 12 yrs. I WAS expecting a little more this time.No modern era Triumphs for one.There must be a ton of early 80.s &90.s bikes lying around that should/ and deserve to be there..I,m pretty sure alot of the machines are on loan so WE [in Oz] should get .em out there .Not leave ,em rustin in the shed. my 2c Chip
chip77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:44 AM   #1106
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,323
This from the custom scrambler thread

Still Riff Raff....

Riff Raff lives again! Rally Pan Am Dakar 2015
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:45 AM   #1107
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Spaghetti Rally

Went down to Victoria for the 'Spaghetti' Rally on the weekend

set up for the weekend

Bev loves her Strawberry wines

'White Beast' ran well, despite carrying about 300kg of people & camping gear!
I post most of the photos in a separate thread
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=836317
Cheers
Baza

hunter_greyghost screwed with this post 10-25-2012 at 03:50 PM
Old 10-24-2012, 04:35 AM   #1108
SOS
Ignorance is a gift

Oddometer: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfishguide View Post
I've been playing with a similar project but finally gave up on the mono shock idea. Either way he will have issues with the chain angle crossing the front of the swing arm. I have a plastic runner off a DR 650 which may work but haven't run it yet.

Jack

[/QUOTE]

The chain angle is an issue, but using the stock chain slider from the YZ125 swing arm looks to take care of the top side. I installed a chain roller on the under side to keep it off the frame. It works in the shop, but it obviously has not been on the road yet.

Here is what's been done so far:

The swing arm from the 1987 YZ125 bolted straight up with the original XS650 swing arm axle. We just had to remove the rear peg mounts. Mounting the mono shock linkage, both to the frame on the underside and building the top shock mount took a lot of trail and error to get the full travel of the shock without binding. In the end we cut off the mounts from the YZ and reconfigured them to the XS. The linkage is stock except for the lower dogbone which we had to shorten and are getting a new one milled up. We'll have about 9" of travel there.

The front end was supposed to be a straight swap, but not so We ended up cutting the steering stem out of the XS650 lower tree, re-machining the lower tree from the YZ and pressing the XS stem in. Then we had to build a top-hat shim for the upper tree to mount the tree to the XS stem. After all that I came across a 1989 YZ490 rolling chasis that I bought for the second set of wheels to lace up as supermoto wheels. That top tree fit right on the XS stem with no machining and it has rubber mounted handlebars that the 125 did not I think the YZ490 entire front end may have been a direct swap, but I haven't swapped it out to verify that yet.

Right now we're laying out the battery / electrical box which will be right under the seat. We're removing the electric start and running a very small LiFePO4 battery to save weight. Once we have that we can fiberglass a new seat.

The chain alignment is almost there. I need to push the front sprocket out just a tad. We're trying to find a 520 series front sprocket to match the 520 on the rear and stick with the 520 chain, but the XS uses a 30mm shaft and we have not found a 520 sprocket to fit.

We're leaving the drum brakes in the back and have the stock brakes from the YZ490 in the front. Eventually we're going to need to find a larger front rotor and make a relocator bracket to move the caliper out.

The headlight is being replaced by a lightweight enduro style light and the gauges are being replace by a small electronic tach / speedo combination set.

Then all we need to do is rebuild everything and it should be good to go
Old 10-24-2012, 08:58 AM   #1109
redfishguide
Old Dirt Biker

If memory serves me right I purchased a 520 front sprokett from Michael Morse over at www.650central.com

I'm using an aluminum swing arm (after market) from a sr 500 which is a direct bolt on. Rear wheel from a Suzuki DR 350, frontend and wheel is from a late 80's yam XT 600. Pretty close to a roller now but I keep getting side tracked with this project.

I'm looking at about 6 inches of rear wheel travel using a twin shock set up. I moved the upper shock mounts forward with longer shocks to achieve the extra wheel travel.

Jack

The chain angle is an issue, but using the stock chain slider from the YZ125 swing arm looks to take care of the top side. I installed a chain roller on the under side to keep it off the frame. It works in the shop, but it obviously has not been on the road yet.

The swing arm from the 1987 YZ125 bolted straight up with the original XS650 swing arm axle. We just had to remove the rear peg mounts. Mounting the mono shock linkage, both to the frame on the underside and building the top shock mount took a lot of trail and error to get the full travel of the shock without binding. In the end we cut off the mounts from the YZ and reconfigured them to the XS. The linkage is stock except for the lower dogbone which we had to shorten and are getting a new one milled up. We'll have about 9" of travel there.

The front end was supposed to be a straight swap, but not so We ended up cutting the steering stem out of the XS650 lower tree, re-machining the lower tree from the YZ and pressing the XS stem in. Then we had to build a top-hat shim for the upper tree to mount the tree to the XS stem. After all that I came across a 1989 YZ490 rolling chasis that I bought for the second set of wheels to lace up as supermoto wheels. That top tree fit right on the XS stem with no machining and it has rubber mounted handlebars that the 125 did not I think the YZ490 entire front end may have been a direct swap, but I haven't swapped it out to verify that yet.

Right now we're laying out the battery / electrical box which will be right under the seat. We're removing the electric start and running a very small LiFePO4 battery to save weight. Once we have that we can fiberglass a new seat.

The chain alignment is almost there. I need to push the front sprocket out just a tad. We're trying to find a 520 series front sprocket to match the 520 on the rear and stick with the 520 chain, but the XS uses a 30mm shaft and we have not found a 520 sprocket to fit.

We're leaving the drum brakes in the back and have the stock brakes from the YZ490 in the front. Eventually we're going to need to find a larger front rotor and make a relocator bracket to move the caliper out.

The headlight is being replaced by a lightweight enduro style light and the gauges are being replace by a small electronic tach / speedo combination set.

Then all we need to do is rebuild everything and it should be good to go[/QUOTE]
Old 10-24-2012, 01:03 PM   #1110
redfishguide
Old Dirt Biker

This thread has embarassed me into getting back on my project.

I guess a picture is worh a thousand words so will give this a try. Using a new photo account so bear with me.

Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfishguide View Post
If memory serves me right I purchased a 520 front sprokett from Michael Morse over at www.650central.com

I'm using an aluminum swing arm (after market) from a sr 500 which is a direct bolt on. Rear wheel from a Suzuki DR 350, frontend and wheel is from a late 80's yam XT 600. Pretty close to a roller now but I keep getting side tracked with this project.

I'm looking at about 6 inches of rear wheel travel using a twin shock set up. I moved the upper shock mounts forward with longer shocks to achieve the extra wheel travel.

Jack

Then all we need to do is rebuild everything and it should be good to go
[/QUOTE]