ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-27-2012, 01:17 AM   #1111
SOS
Ignorance is a gift
 
SOS's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: 0hio
Oddometer: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfishguide View Post
this thread has embarassed me into getting back on my project.

i guess a picture is worh a thousand words so will give this a try. Using a new photo account so bear with me.

jack









thank you for the link to the sprocket that could save a lot of time and hassle

where did you get the foot pegs on your bike? It looks good and i need to lower the stock pegs on the '79 xs650.







[/quote]
__________________
www.motorcyclesolutionsllc.com
SOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:04 AM   #1112
redfishguide
Old Dirt Biker
 
redfishguide's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Beaufort, South Carolina
Oddometer: 432
Footpegs are off a Suzuki DR 650. I made adapter plates which lowered and moved the pegs rearward a bit. The plates bolt right up to the exhaust mounts on my 77 frame. I can stand up real well in the current position with risers to bring up the bars as I am 6'2".

If you want I can post a closeup of the peg mounts.

Jack
redfishguide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:14 AM   #1113
rw4x4van
East Coast Rider
 
rw4x4van's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: NJ
Oddometer: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfishguide View Post
This thread has embarrassed me into getting back on my project.

Jack
Are you saying all my e-mails were not effective
__________________
Ray

'98 KTM 620 RXC
'07 KTM 300 XCW
rw4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:27 PM   #1114
redfishguide
Old Dirt Biker
 
redfishguide's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Beaufort, South Carolina
Oddometer: 432
Hey Ray,

Apparently not!!!!

But you'd be proud of me now. Threw a motor in the frame so I can work on the sprockett alignment and make a rear wheel spacer. Will likely add an easily removable side car so the bike can do double duty.

We're building up some steam now. Blame Hunter Greyghost and the rest of the posters on this thread for the motivation.

Jack


Quote:
Originally Posted by rw4x4van View Post
Are you saying all my e-mails were not effective
redfishguide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:57 PM   #1115
rw4x4van
East Coast Rider
 
rw4x4van's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: NJ
Oddometer: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfishguide View Post
Hey Ray,

Apparently not!!!!

But you'd be proud of me now. Threw a motor in the frame so I can work on the sprockett alignment and make a rear wheel spacer. Will likely add an easily removable side car so the bike can do double duty.

We're building up some steam now. Blame Hunter Greyghost and the rest of the posters on this thread for the motivation.

Jack
OK.... but, you know how we like pictures...just saying

__________________
Ray

'98 KTM 620 RXC
'07 KTM 300 XCW
rw4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:42 PM   #1116
TheRadBaron
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Central Illinois
Oddometer: 431
Bigger gas tank

Have any of you guys experimented with swapping a larger fuel tank onto an XS650? I'd really like some extra range, plus I don't really like the shape of the XS tank, anyway. It's a little too "custom" shaped for me. I've tried on all sorts of other tanks that are a bit better and still look period correct, but so far nothing has worked. I have a '74 CB450 tank that would fit with some mods to the mounts, but it's a bit too short and sits back from the steering neck a bit and looks weird. Plus, I think it only holds a small amount more than the 650 tank. I do like the look of those early '70s, flat bottomed Honda tanks, though. I need to ask around to find one of my buddies with an early CB750 tank that I could try on. My dad has some '70s BMW tanks that I plan to try, as well.
The petcock location is consistently a problem, but I plan to relocate the petcock(s) by welding a bung in the proper location.
Anyone else tried any bigger tanks?
__________________
The desire for safety stands against every great and noble enterprise. -Tacitus
TheRadBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:43 PM   #1117
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller
 
hunter_greyghost's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Yass, Australia
Oddometer: 7,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRadBaron View Post
Have any of you guys experimented with swapping a larger fuel tank onto an XS650? I'd really like some extra range, plus I don't really like the shape of the XS tank, anyway. It's a little too "custom" shaped for me. I've tried on all sorts of other tanks that are a bit better and still look period correct, but so far nothing has worked. I have a '74 CB450 tank that would fit with some mods to the mounts, but it's a bit too short and sits back from the steering neck a bit and looks weird. Plus, I think it only holds a small amount more than the 650 tank. I do like the look of those early '70s, flat bottomed Honda tanks, though. I need to ask around to find one of my buddies with an early CB750 tank that I could try on. My dad has some '70s BMW tanks that I plan to try, as well.
The petcock location is consistently a problem, but I plan to relocate the petcock(s) by welding a bung in the proper location.
Anyone else tried any bigger tanks?


CB750 tank sitting on the frame, haven't been serious about mounting it up yet, have some mods to do,
Bottom tank is off a early '70's Moto Guzzi, either an Eldorado or an Ambassador, fitted up really easy, will take further photos of mounts later, you have to move the fuel taps back to clear the XS engine


on 'Kenny', '74 XS650B - Adventure model

on 'White Beast' - '81 XS650SH, you can see in the photo that the seatbase had to be shortened to allow the seat to fit with this tank
22.5lt capacity - anywhere from 300kms to 500kms, depending on what you're doing!
Chers
Baza
__________________
1981 XS650SH "Tourer" [ For Sale - when / maybe?], 1975 XS650B "Adventure" ['Kenny Krazyhorse'], 1982 XL500R 'Project'
www.aussiegreyghost.smugmug.com
Couldn't afford a 'GSA', so now it's an 'XSA' "I didn't do it! & whoever said I did, is a liar!"
hunter_greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:44 PM   #1118
TheRadBaron
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Central Illinois
Oddometer: 431
Great stuff. Thanks for the info. I'm intrigued by the Guzzi tank, but it's decidedly non-Japanese looking and I'm not sure that I want to go that route. Nothing against Italian bikes because they're great, but I sure like my Japanese styling. I really value function over form, though. Hmmm...I need to think about it.
__________________
The desire for safety stands against every great and noble enterprise. -Tacitus
TheRadBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:10 PM   #1119
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller
 
hunter_greyghost's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Yass, Australia
Oddometer: 7,628
I'll post those mount photos tomorrow if you want them?
Cheers
Baza
__________________
1981 XS650SH "Tourer" [ For Sale - when / maybe?], 1975 XS650B "Adventure" ['Kenny Krazyhorse'], 1982 XL500R 'Project'
www.aussiegreyghost.smugmug.com
Couldn't afford a 'GSA', so now it's an 'XSA' "I didn't do it! & whoever said I did, is a liar!"
hunter_greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:43 AM   #1120
TheRadBaron
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Central Illinois
Oddometer: 431
That would be great if you could. I'd like to take a look at them for a reference. Thanks.
__________________
The desire for safety stands against every great and noble enterprise. -Tacitus
TheRadBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:36 PM   #1121
F_Sahms
mostly paved
 
F_Sahms's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Oddometer: 313
Now just build the rest of the Guzzi under the tank.

Seriously, I love the XS with the loop tank. Carry on.
__________________
Life's too short.
F_Sahms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:24 PM   #1122
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller
 
hunter_greyghost's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Yass, Australia
Oddometer: 7,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by F_Sahms View Post
Now just build the rest of the Guzzi under the tank.

Seriously, I love the XS with the loop tank. Carry on.

Working on getting another 850T as a tow bike for my trailer!


Nasty looking but it works

already a hole through the frame gusset - almost as if Yamaha planned for this event!

moved the taps back to here on both sides

just fits up nice & snug
was a bit of a lucky guess when I saw the tank but it all works great, & gives me heaps more fuel range
Cheers
Baza
__________________
1981 XS650SH "Tourer" [ For Sale - when / maybe?], 1975 XS650B "Adventure" ['Kenny Krazyhorse'], 1982 XL500R 'Project'
www.aussiegreyghost.smugmug.com
Couldn't afford a 'GSA', so now it's an 'XSA' "I didn't do it! & whoever said I did, is a liar!"
hunter_greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:11 PM   #1123
TheRadBaron
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Central Illinois
Oddometer: 431
That's pretty slick. Thanks for posting up the pics. I'm thinking that I'm starting to like the way the Guzzi tank looks on your 650, too. Did the '74 need seat pan mods to run the tank? You mention that the '81 did, but didn't say anything about the '74.
Now the only problem is finding a good, used, Guzzi tank for a decent price. That Italian stuff is generally a lot more than I'm used to paying for my Japanese stuff.
__________________
The desire for safety stands against every great and noble enterprise. -Tacitus
TheRadBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:22 PM   #1124
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller
 
hunter_greyghost's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Yass, Australia
Oddometer: 7,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRadBaron View Post
That's pretty slick. Thanks for posting up the pics. I'm thinking that I'm starting to like the way the Guzzi tank looks on your 650, too. Did the '74 need seat pan mods to run the tank? You mention that the '81 did, but didn't say anything about the '74.
Now the only problem is finding a good, used, Guzzi tank for a decent price. That Italian stuff is generally a lot more than I'm used to paying for my Japanese stuff.
Yep, had to modify the seatpan on the '74 too, about 1/2"-1" needs to be bent upwards or back, this allows the seatpan to clear the tank & not rub on the tank
hope that helps, pretty easy conversion all things considered,

about the only photo I could find of the '81 without gear hanging off it everywhere,

Cheers
Baza
__________________
1981 XS650SH "Tourer" [ For Sale - when / maybe?], 1975 XS650B "Adventure" ['Kenny Krazyhorse'], 1982 XL500R 'Project'
www.aussiegreyghost.smugmug.com
Couldn't afford a 'GSA', so now it's an 'XSA' "I didn't do it! & whoever said I did, is a liar!"
hunter_greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:43 AM   #1125
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller
 
hunter_greyghost's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Yass, Australia
Oddometer: 7,628

Did a 500km day ride down into the Snowys on Saturday, more photos later
Cheers
Baza
__________________
1981 XS650SH "Tourer" [ For Sale - when / maybe?], 1975 XS650B "Adventure" ['Kenny Krazyhorse'], 1982 XL500R 'Project'
www.aussiegreyghost.smugmug.com
Couldn't afford a 'GSA', so now it's an 'XSA' "I didn't do it! & whoever said I did, is a liar!"
hunter_greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014