Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2012, 04:28 PM   #1141
soldierguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 445
She's home in the garage! Probably thawing her bones...it was quite cold outside, and pretty windy. But she's home! Tomorrow will come the initial cleaning, fluid checks, tire pressure, etc, and then maybe a little run around the block. And before anyone asks...the number plate was put on by the previous owner, and I think I like it. So for now at least, I'm PIMPIN'

Here she is in the trailer on the way home.

'13 Yamaha Super Tenere - my dream bike
SOLD: '13 Wee-Strom, hacked, re-geared, Ohlins suspension
My Wee-Strom Hack

soldierguy screwed with this post 11-11-2012 at 04:36 PM
soldierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:38 PM   #1142
Bigfeet428
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
I remember that bike from XS650.com. This should be the build thread http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthrea...ight=scrambler I always thought it was a well done bike, congratulations.
Bigfeet428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:52 PM   #1143
soldierguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfeet428 View Post
I remember that bike from XS650.com. This should be the build thread http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthrea...ight=scrambler I always thought it was a well done bike, congratulations.
Thanks! That would be her. And it is a well-done bike...no doubt about it. The previous owner is a good guy, and as I was asking him questions about the bike he seemed just about as OCD as I am, and I mean that in a good way. Basically he did pretty much exactly what I would have done.

As of now there's a few things I know I need to do, and a few that I want to do:

- Investigate a minor oil leak...coming from behind the left cover near the shifter
- Replace the left turn signal that flew off while the PO was riding...he gave me a couple of matching spares along with a ton of other spare parts.
- Thorough cleaning
- make sure basic maintenance is straight

At some point I'll probably do paint...there are some chips here and there. But I like the British Racing Green, so it'd remain the same color.

My Wee-Strom Hack
Old 11-11-2012, 05:00 PM   #1144
Bigfeet428
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldierguy View Post

- Investigate a minor oil leak...coming from behind the left cover near the shifter
Could be the clutch pushrod seal which seems to be a common problem. I'm replacing mine now. the xs site is a great source of information. Good bunch of guys to.
Bigfeet428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:27 PM   #1145
soldierguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfeet428 View Post
Could be the clutch pushrod seal which seems to be a common problem. I'm replacing mine now. the xs site is a great source of information. Good bunch of guys to.
That's what the PO said it likely was. I'll dig into it soon. I've been browsing around over on the xs site...great info over there, and thanks for the link on the build thread! The PO and I talked about what he had done...nice to see it and read some of the details. Good stuff!

My Wee-Strom Hack
Old 11-11-2012, 07:22 PM   #1146
MightyChosen1
I wanna be sedated

Oddometer: 1,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldierguy View Post
She's home in the garage! Probably thawing her bones...it was quite cold outside, and pretty windy. But she's home! Tomorrow will come the initial cleaning, fluid checks, tire pressure, etc, and then maybe a little run around the block. And before anyone asks...the number plate was put on by the previous owner, and I think I like it. So for now at least, I'm PIMPIN'

Here she is in the trailer on the way home.

Damn , I didnt even know that this bike was for sale. I followed it on the XS650 forum and it was an inspiration for me to buy another XS . Congrats.

Those pipes by Gordon Scott are the best ever put on an XS in my opinion. I have been thinking about seperating my XS from its sidecar this winter and going full dual sport complete with high pipes and better front suspension from a YZ.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:47 PM   #1147
Kt-88
I like everything.

Oddometer: 459
FYI that seal takes all of two minutes to replace. Listen to Mike's XS advice and buy two. They are easy to mangle in install.
Kt-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:28 AM   #1148
soldierguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyChosen1 View Post
Damn , I didnt even know that this bike was for sale. I followed it on the XS650 forum and it was an inspiration for me to buy another XS . Congrats.

Those pipes by Gordon Scott are the best ever put on an XS in my opinion. I have been thinking about seperating my XS from its sidecar this winter and going full dual sport complete with high pipes and better front suspension from a YZ.
I tell ya, I can't say enough good about the previous owner. He approached things pretty much the way I would have, and didn't scrimp on doing what was needed, nor did he cheap out on parts (Gordon Scott pipes, Hughs alternator (not yet installed but present), PAMCO ignition, etc. He didn't seem to do any band-aid type of fixes just to flip the bike, he did what he needed to do to make sure it was reliable, ran well, and was a good bike for him. I'm just fortunate that what his vision was for the bike lines up with what I wanted, and I think our approaches to things like this are similar.

My Wee-Strom Hack
Old 11-12-2012, 04:30 AM   #1149
soldierguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kt-88 View Post
FYI that seal takes all of two minutes to replace. Listen to Mike's XS advice and buy two. They are easy to mangle in install.
Yeah, that's the plan, to buy a few. I've heard they're easy to mess up or not get seated properly.

My Wee-Strom Hack
Old 11-12-2012, 09:30 AM   #1150
soldierguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Part way through the initial cleanup. She's looking pretty good, but was good to start with. Will post pics later once I'm done.

My Wee-Strom Hack
Old 11-12-2012, 12:34 PM   #1151
Garbln
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 438
I bought two of those clutch push rod seals and glad I did! No more leaks!
Garbln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:49 PM   #1152
Gham
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,283
Looks like it has the stock carbs and diaphram petcocks,I hated that system so bad I threw it in the garbage and bought Mikuni round slides and K&N filters.If they work you get get great gas mileage,if they don't....gggrrrrrrrrr,the mikuni's really opened her up

Society Historicus Revisioniscus
Gham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:41 PM   #1153
soldierguy
Gnarly Adventurer

A few pics...

My Wee-Strom Hack
Old 11-12-2012, 02:45 PM   #1154
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer: 7,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gham View Post
Looks like it has the stock carbs and diaphram petcocks,I hated that system so bad I threw it in the garbage and bought Mikuni round slides and K&N filters.If they work you get get great gas mileage,if they don't....gggrrrrrrrrr,the mikuni's really opened her up

Manifold extentions from MikesXS

VM34 Roundslide Mikunis

Lost an average of 10 to 20 mpg since I put these on, need to rejet but haven't the time, too busy riding the bloody thing!

Cheers
Baza
hunter_greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:57 PM   #1155
Gham
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter_greyghost View Post

Manifold extentions from MikesXS

VM34 Roundslide Mikunis

Lost an average of 10 to 20 mpg since I put these on, need to rejet but haven't the time, too busy riding the bloody thing!

Cheers
Baza
I bought the manifolds from Mike's also, but I thought they were ill fitting and the rubber was kinda junky.I wound up plugging the vacumn lines on the old ones.I bought his petcock and the tank/petcock o-ring was crap and had to scavenge the old one.I plugged the other side of the tank with a blind plug I made up.I've got the VM 36's but should have got the 34's.Mine runs rich also and mileage has dropped down to about 38mpg.I see you have dual disks on the front.Come that way? I added mine

Society Historicus Revisioniscus
Gham is offline   Reply With Quote