Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2012, 08:17 PM   #1186
Kt-88
I like everything.

Oddometer: 459
Well I'll check if its left or right but I have a totally fresh one of your carbs for my old xs that I doubt I'll use. Just as an option to think about.

With the pamco don't run it with a wire disconnected to check spark. Are you for sure getting spark on that side?
Kt-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:45 PM   #1187
soldierguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter_greyghost View Post

Check that all four pick-up pins are in place on your Pamco, had a couple free themselves & luckily attached themselves [magnetic pins], to the metal cover, one of those wriggling around is not good,
Cheers
Baza
Thanks! will do.

'13 Yamaha Super Tenere - my dream bike
SOLD: '13 Wee-Strom, hacked, re-geared, Ohlins suspension
My Wee-Strom Hack
soldierguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:34 AM   #1188
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer: 7,628
Another thought?, standard carbs - diaphram has a hole?, only takes a pinpick, bike will run but bloody rich!
Cheers
Baza
hunter_greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:04 AM   #1189
soldierguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kt-88 View Post
Well I'll check if its left or right but I have a totally fresh one of your carbs for my old xs that I doubt I'll use. Just as an option to think about.

With the pamco don't run it with a wire disconnected to check spark. Are you for sure getting spark on that side?
Thanks for the offer. I think if I end up having to do too much with the stock carbs, I may look at other options. Hunter suggested it might be a bad diaphragm...I'll check that when I get a chance to see if that's the problem.

I'm getting spark, because it does run on both cylinders...just pig rich on one side. Next chance I get (possibly later today or sometime in the next week) I'll do some troubleshooting and see what I can figure out.

All this is honestly good though...I wanted something to tinker with over the winter, and I'm learning (and re-learning) all kinds of stuff. And in truth, it's all pretty minor stuff...tweaks here and there, replacing a few parts here and there...I'm having fun with it.

My Wee-Strom Hack
Old 11-25-2012, 01:05 PM   #1190
Kt-88
I like everything.

Oddometer: 459
Well if you do change carbs I've had a great time with VM32's.
Kt-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:27 PM   #1191
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kt-88 View Post
Well if you do change carbs I've had a great time with VM32's.

Still sorting out what I want with the VM34's - looking for fuel economy more than performance,

I just poke around in the scrub more these days, need good fuel range for some of the trips I do,

Bottom end grunt works when ya chuck a set of these little suckers on!
VM's are definately the way to go, apart from the diaphram issue with the standard carbs, another thing is worn throttle bodies [where the rods go through], these wear & I haven't found a cure for stopping air sucking in & leaning out the mix
Cheers
Baza

hunter_greyghost screwed with this post 11-25-2012 at 08:13 PM
Old 11-25-2012, 09:00 PM   #1192
retiredgentleman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldierguy View Post
Thanks for the offer. I think if I end up having to do too much with the stock carbs, I may look at other options. Hunter suggested it might be a bad diaphragm...I'll check that when I get a chance to see if that's the problem.

I'm getting spark, because it does run on both cylinders...just pig rich on one side. Next chance I get (possibly later today or sometime in the next week) I'll do some troubleshooting and see what I can figure out.

All this is honestly good though...I wanted something to tinker with over the winter, and I'm learning (and re-learning) all kinds of stuff. And in truth, it's all pretty minor stuff...tweaks here and there, replacing a few parts here and there...I'm having fun with it.
The best thing to do is to remove both carbs, to the bench, for inspection. Measure the float height as compared to the spec that is 24 mm. You may find one float is not set correctly. or it could be a leaky float. The pilot jet and main jet have the numbers stamped on them. Stock main jet for 1978 is 135 and pilot jet is 27.5.
retiredgentleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:03 AM   #1193
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

http://www.xs650.org.au/Technical%20Info/XS-TX650%20Carburetor%20Evolution.htm
Try that link for carby information
Cheers
Baza
Old 12-01-2012, 11:38 AM   #1194
soldierguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredgentleman View Post
The best thing to do is to remove both carbs, to the bench, for inspection. Measure the float height as compared to the spec that is 24 mm. You may find one float is not set correctly. or it could be a leaky float. The pilot jet and main jet have the numbers stamped on them. Stock main jet for 1978 is 135 and pilot jet is 27.5.
Disassembling carbs is a little beyond my comfort zone. This morning I pulled the top off the carbs and looked at the diaphragms, and they looked great...looked nearly new. That's about the extent of what I'm ok doing.

But after this morning, I'm thinking it's electrical anyway.

While the tank was off, I started checking all the electrical connections, found one that looked loose, and it was connected to the ignition system. When I put everything back together and fired her up, she ran great...definitely firing on both cylinders, and she was starting to burn off the crap built up in the left exhaust pipe. So as I was getting my gear on to take her for a test ride, she coughed a little, then started running poorly again...lots of backfiring from the left cylinder, and I think it was the fuel hitting the hot exhaust. I shut her off, checked everything I could without pulling the tank again, and fired her back up...still running poorly. Felt the exhaust pipes...right cylinder was hot, left cylinder was much cooler.

SoI'm thinking that it's something electrical that temporarily made good contact this morning, but then got jiggled loose again. And I think that makes the most sense...even when she's running poorly, there will be brief "pops" (for lack of a better term) where she'll run good, then go right back to running poorly. So I think the next step is that the tank is coming back off, and I'll start looking hard at all the connections.

My Wee-Strom Hack
Old 12-02-2012, 02:07 AM   #1195
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

'Bards of the Bush' Rally, @ Micalong Creek, NSW

Poets' rally in a top location
Cheers
Baza
Old 12-02-2012, 07:02 AM   #1196
Gham
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,282
if you can;t get it figured out

Quote:
Originally Posted by soldierguy View Post
Disassembling carbs is a little beyond my comfort zone. This morning I pulled the top off the carbs and looked at the diaphragms, and they looked great...looked nearly new. That's about the extent of what I'm ok doing.
I got an old set of stock carbs,they have been taken apart and re-assembled many times.I think they are junk and wouldn't sell them to my worst enemy.If your unsure about wrenching on carbs I think it's a simple matter of confidence.You pay for shipping and I'll send you the damn things.I KNOW how frustrating these bikes can be!

Society Historicus Revisioniscus
Gham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:02 AM   #1197
Prmurat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 769
Here is my XS2.... Now I am officially married with her: I spent so much money on it: Sparx alt, Boyer EI, new mufflers/pipe, new seat, carbs redone, gauges redone, new wire loom, tires, battery, Ss line, new caliper, some powder coat (battery box, air filters), XT 500 handlebars, new master cylinder , new oil filter/cooler! For a bike I wanted to keep "grunge" and I still have to do a top end: it leaks oil like a British bike!
Prmurat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:56 PM   #1198
Bigfeet428
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prmurat View Post
it leaks oil like a British bike!
Pretty cool bike. Check the clutch shaft seal for the leak.
Bigfeet428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:42 PM   #1199
soldierguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prmurat View Post
Here is my XS2.... Now I am officially married with her: I spent so much money on it: Sparx alt, Boyer EI, new mufflers/pipe, new seat, carbs redone, gauges redone, new wire loom, tires, battery, Ss line, new caliper, some powder coat (battery box, air filters), XT 500 handlebars, new master cylinder , new oil filter/cooler! For a bike I wanted to keep "grunge" and I still have to do a top end: it leaks oil like a British bike!
Beautiful bike! Can I ask where you had your gauges redone, and do you have any before and after pics? Mine are in ok shape, but there's some clearcoat overspray on the lenses from a car project the previous owner was working on in his garaged, and the faces & cases look a little tired. I could probably polish the lenses...that would help, but if I can get the gauges redone for a reasonable price it might be worth it. Also, in a couple months I'm moving out to California, so someone there wouldn't be a big deal for me to visit, regardless of where they're at in the state since I'll be traveling all over the place.

Thanks in advance!

My Wee-Strom Hack

soldierguy screwed with this post 12-02-2012 at 04:08 PM
Old 12-02-2012, 04:21 PM   #1200
Prmurat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 769
Sorry I do not a before pic: the faces was all cracked and glass almost opaque!! I just have the old faces.
This is the guy who did them, just ask him "stock"!
http://webslingercycles.com/Images/Speedo/index.htm

Prmurat is online now   Reply With Quote