User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2011, 08:38 PM   #76
mtnrwild
Ramjet

Oddometer: 13
Rider.. 32 inch inseam, 5' 10"
Windshield about 3/4 up seems best for me at hwy speeds. Nice to have all the way down for off hwy.

Tires are Mefo Super Explorer's
mtnrwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 11:05 AM   #77
ridepjride
Migrant

Oddometer: 296
Thanks for the reply.

Any 6'2" (or taller) riders with this fairing? Wondering how effective it is at reducing noise at highway speeds. Lots of variables, I know...earplugs, helmets, individual sensitivity, etc. but rider height plays a role.

I like the noise level without a fairing, but would rather not have the push to the chest at 60-70 mph. The KTM windshield takes pressure from the chest but adds noise. The gap at the bottom of the Britannia relieves some pressure drop at the top of the shield, so I've been told, and should reduce some noise.
ridepjride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 07:44 PM   #78
BajaDave
Crazy Bastard

Oddometer: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridepjride View Post
Thanks for the reply.

Any 6'2" (or taller) riders with this fairing? Wondering how effective it is at reducing noise at highway speeds. Lots of variables, I know...earplugs, helmets, individual sensitivity, etc. but rider height plays a role.

I like the noise level without a fairing, but would rather not have the push to the chest at 60-70 mph. The KTM windshield takes pressure from the chest but adds noise. The gap at the bottom of the Britannia relieves some pressure drop at the top of the shield, so I've been told, and should reduce some noise.
I'm 6' 01+" and have this fairing. With screen all the way up, wind hits me at about my eyebrows. A bit of buffeting noise, but takes all pressure off chest and most of head. I think Ian may have a windscreen with a lip on it that may increase the bubble size... I saw one somewhere around here.

GripTwister Dual Sport Tours
BajaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 06:18 PM   #79
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,397
[QUOTE=ridepjride;15456507]Thanks for the reply.

Any 6'2" (or taller) riders with this fairing? Wondering how effective it is at reducing noise at highway speeds. Lots of variables, I know...earplugs, helmets, individual sensitivity, etc. but rider height plays a role. /QUOTE]

Hey there -- I'm a bit over 6'2", and I have done quite a bit of highway travel with my standard (i.e. not 690-specific) Lynx, and can report that the improvement is significant. However, pulling the windshield *all* the way up results in an unpleasant buffeting. I run the windshield at about 3/4, and find it very agreeable, it even makes enough still air that I can leave my face shield open about an inch at highway speeds comfortably.... can't do that at all with the KTM 'numberplate'.
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 06:47 PM   #80
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Oddometer: 560
[QUOTE=Roadracer_Al;15467265]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridepjride View Post
Thanks for the reply.

Any 6'2" (or taller) riders with this fairing? Wondering how effective it is at reducing noise at highway speeds. Lots of variables, I know...earplugs, helmets, individual sensitivity, etc. but rider height plays a role. /QUOTE]

Hey there -- I'm a bit over 6'2", and I have done quite a bit of highway travel with my standard (i.e. not 690-specific) Lynx, and can report that the improvement is significant. However, pulling the windshield *all* the way up results in an unpleasant buffeting. I run the windshield at about 3/4, and find it very agreeable, it even makes enough still air that I can leave my face shield open about an inch at highway speeds comfortably.... can't do that at all with the KTM 'numberplate'.
That's a good point regarding the screen height. We have found that many guys who are taller, choose to operate the screen a bit lower, to make sure their helmet is not at the point where the wind comes off the top of the screen ( where it is at it's most turbulent ).

We experimented with a taller screen with a view to trying to get the wind over the top of a 6'4" guy, but frankly it does not work. You just get more turbulance !

The best way to view this, is that the system will allow you to adjust it to get the best result for you that is possible within the perameters of a dual sport fairing. In your case, this may be adjusting the screen to a height where the weight of the windblast is taken away from your arms and shoulders, but leave your helmet in clean air. Does that make sense ?

Cheers Ian
Old 03-21-2011, 09:13 AM   #81
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,397
It's my observation that when the screen is all the way up, the air just spills around the sides instead of going over the top of the screen. Air, like water & electricity, seeks the path of least resistance.

If a committed user wanted to play around with aerodynamics, it would make sense to add vertical "winglets" to the screen to create a channel which would direct a more-coherent stream of air over the rider's head. Just a thought...
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:10 PM   #82
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadracer_Al View Post
It's my observation that when the screen is all the way up, the air just spills around the sides instead of going over the top of the screen. Air, like water & electricity, seeks the path of least resistance.

If a committed user wanted to play around with aerodynamics, it would make sense to add vertical "winglets" to the screen to create a channel which would direct a more-coherent stream of air over the rider's head. Just a thought...
I think that is quite right and we have experimented with such a system. It does improve the airflow, but we concluded that the "winglets" would probably have a short life in the bush ! I guess it's all a compromise.

Ian
Old 03-21-2011, 01:27 PM   #83
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,041
Ian I'm still on my mission to find the best possible headlights for on and off road and I think I found a winner.

Can you sell the fairing with no lights, and secondly does the mounting plate that the lights actually bolt on to adjust up and down? Any chance to get a picture of it?

Thanks
rickypanecatyl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 05:35 PM   #84
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post
Ian I'm still on my mission to find the best possible headlights for on and off road and I think I found a winner.

Can you sell the fairing with no lights, and secondly does the mounting plate that the lights actually bolt on to adjust up and down? Any chance to get a picture of it?

Thanks
There is a mounting plate bonded into the fairing, but it's made to specifically fit the Hella adjustment mechanism. I'm fairly sure that no other lights (even other Hella models) will not fit it.

So, you would need to create your own mounting plate and bond it into the inside of the fairing, but other than that we can supply it without lights.

Ian
Old 03-22-2011, 06:17 AM   #85
OhBoy
Got Out

Oddometer: 970
Interested

Considering the Lynx and am wondering about a thing or two.

Does it take long to get used to the "adventure" fairing? When riding does not being able to see the front tire bother anyone with a Lynx? I know that when standing this issue would become moot. At 5' 11" about how far ahead of the bike might the ground appear when seated?

I could make my own observations with these bits of info.
How high above the handle bars at the risers does the dashboard rise. Also how far in front, of the same bar from a verticle line, is the top of the dash?

The quartz lights would be a huge improvement over the stock, HID..wow. Extending the season with the fairing would be a huge plus.

If anyone has or can get this info, it would help me decide.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:45 PM   #86
BackCountryCruizer
Gnarled Adventurer

Oddometer: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBoy View Post
Considering the Lynx and am wondering about a thing or two.

Does it take long to get used to the "adventure" fairing? When riding does not being able to see the front tire bother anyone with a Lynx? I know that when standing this issue would become moot. At 5' 11" about how far ahead of the bike might the ground appear when seated?

I could make my own observations with these bits of info.
How high above the handle bars at the risers does the dashboard rise. Also how far in front, of the same bar from a verticle line, is the top of the dash?

The quartz lights would be a huge improvement over the stock, HID..wow. Extending the season with the fairing would be a huge plus.

If anyone has or can get this info, it would help me decide.
Get the Lynx!! You will not be disappointed.
My last KTM was a 950 adventure and this is a lot easier to see around then the stock fairing on it was.
When seated in a normal seated position, not attack position, I can see the ground about 5'6" in front of the bike. That's measuring from the center of the front axle. I'm 6' with an 32" inseam.
The fairing is 12" to the furthest point forward (the "nose"). It is 6.5" to the top of the dash, measured out horizontally and 7" to the top of the dash, measured up vertically. All 3 points measured from the center of the bars and are approximate.
I'm just getting over having that nasty flu that's been going around but did get out for one short ride after dark and the HID is a very dramatic improvement from stock, but of course that doesn't take much! With both low and high lit up you will not have any problems seeing what's coming at you when cruising at a pretty good clip.
I haven't had the chance to get out for an extended ride yet so I still can't comment on how well the wind screen works but hopefully that will change this coming weekend. Hope that help's you decide.

http://www.youtube.com/user/650tom
BackCountryCruizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:36 PM   #87
ridepjride
Migrant

Oddometer: 296
Will the Enduro (non-R) instrument panel mount OK?
ridepjride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 05:20 AM   #88
Para504
Spam, Spam, bacon & Spam!

Oddometer: 551
Here's the Lynx on a 690e ('08 model), from 5'11" rider's perspective... The '08 computer/Tach fits well. I could have mounted it higher, but this works with my riser for GPS & routesheet setup.

As to the front wheel, its a non-issue. Your eyes will be tracking well out in front, and even in nasty terrain where you are feathering the clutch in first gear, its easy enough to pick your line over a tricky spot.
Attached Images

Para504 screwed with this post 03-24-2011 at 05:33 AM
Para504 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 09:23 PM   #89
BackCountryCruizer
Gnarled Adventurer

Oddometer: 423
Finally, a test ride. No wet suit needed!

We finally had a day with out rain here in moss country. It's rained 28 out of the last 30 days. I did a 110 mile loop, headed out southeast from my house on pavement for about 20 miles of back country roads at 55 - 65 mph. After trying different heights for the wind screen I found I got the least amount of wind noise with the screen about 2" from maximum height. Really with the screen in almost any position except all the way up, the air felt clean and quiet. It definitely takes the bulk of the wind off the torso. I left the wind screen at that position on the fire roads and it worked great!
Once again I have to rave about the Lynx fairing. The installation was easy with clear written instructions. It fits like it could have come from the factory as is and I think it makes an already awesome looking bike look even better. And ..... it does what it's suppose to do.

http://www.youtube.com/user/650tom

BackCountryCruizer screwed with this post 04-06-2011 at 08:10 PM
BackCountryCruizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:33 PM   #90
Bartron
Bike Punisher

Oddometer: 679
Does anyone know if this fairing will work with the Highway Dirtbikes clamps and hand protectors? Thanks in advance.

==================================
:: Furious Basterds: Velox, Vehemens, Oblivio
::
:: "For those who don't understand, no explanation is possible. For those who do, none is necessary."
Bartron is offline   Reply With Quote