Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2011, 05:54 AM   #16
SeeRace
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
Check out Full Throttle Camping fullthrottlecamping com They have a lot of info and good products. I have the Big Agnes Ranger. Looks like they are on sale right now.
SeeRace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 06:06 AM   #17
vtbob
wanderer

Oddometer: 523
+1 on those who recommend down. After using other bags for years I finially broke down (pun intented) and bought a LLBean down bag. The LLBean price was better than most when I bought it. With teh stuff sack in takes very little space and weights little too. It is just right for the sholder seasons...a bit warm for summer so you have to use it open...ie have a bug proof tent. I keep it in a fluffed upstate in a seperate big bag so it does not get crushed. Had it over 10 years now. Still just fine.
vtbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 07:21 AM   #18
TwoShots
Vagabond

Oddometer: 1,448
Kelty Lightyear 20 degree down.
TwoShots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:50 AM   #19
toolhorder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeRace View Post
Check out Full Throttle Camping fullthrottlecamping com They have a lot of info and good products. I have the Big Agnes Ranger. Looks like they are on sale right now.
+1
Great bag and great experience buying from them.
toolhorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 12:45 PM   #20
osii
Disgruntled Time Traveler

Oddometer: 2,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by redredred View Post
http://www.walmart.com/ip/2579726
Micro Tek Ultra-Compact Mummy 30-Degree Sleeping Bag
$34 from wally world (currently OOS)

rated for 30*F. i used this sleeping bag up at joshua tree on a 35* night. i was wearing flannel pajamas and a flannel shirt and felt fine. it compacts down to about the size of a cantaloupe. i haven't weighed my bag but i would estimate it is about 3 or 4 lbs. great motorcycling sleeping bag for cheap.
Dude, I was browsing over at Wally World following that link.

The price of this stuff has come down so low you could just ride to a rally and when you get there, spend about a hundred and buy everything you need at WallyWorld. That Everest +5 bag for $29???? WOW!!

Tent - $29
Sleeping Bag - $30
Pad or Air mattress - $12 - 16
Nice Chair - $10

I look back on all the expensive stuff i used to buy that now can be had at Wally World or Harbor Freight a tenth of the price and I just cringe.

For what you would spend on a good set of luggage, you could just buy everything and toss it along the way and it would still be less than a hotel.
osii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 04:32 PM   #21
spoon
Rubber's gone!

Oddometer: 204
A good pad is a must. I picked an Exped syn 7. I could save some weight and packed size by going with the down but not much. I use a Big Agnes bag. Lots of tempature ranges to chose from. I use a 30 degree bag and a liner. I use a long compression bag to pack the sleeping bag into so it ends up being 20 in. long and about 4 in. in diameter. This goes over the top of my saddle bags across the top of the seat. Nice and compact. This set up keeps me warm down to 35 or so. I'm a cold sleeper.
spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 04:56 PM   #22
Callahan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,179
Mountain Hardware Lamina 35

HI,

I did do a lot of research in this past year and have bought two bags plus two liners to sufice my differing needs.

I like an bought, as my lightweight option,

Mountina Hardware Lamina
http://www.mountainhardwear.com/Lamina%E2%84%A2-35-%28Regular%29/OU8451_R,default,pd.html

Sea To Summit 100% Premium Silk Liner Mummy with Hood
http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/22
Callahan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 05:49 PM   #23
NuckaMan OP
Space Available

Oddometer: 345
Thank you all for the excellent suggestions.

I have looked at all the suggestions and still trying to decide my choice.

Thanks again everyone for taking the time to respond to my question.

P.S. Another big discovery from this thread is Sunnysports.com. Excellent prices!!!

2012 Kawasaki Concours 14

2013 Triumph Bonneville
NuckaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 06:19 PM   #24
spoon
Rubber's gone!

Oddometer: 204
I forgot to mention that I am also looking at a backpacking quilt as my sleeping bag. Packs very small and there are kits available for the do-it -yourselfers. From what I have read these can be good for below freezing.
spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:28 AM   #25
GSWayne
Old Guy nOOb

Oddometer: 2,945
Probably worth looking at Big Agnes. Their integrated bad and pad arrangement is very efficient. We are happy with ours. It packs very small which is very nice for 2-up camping. Not the cheapest solution though. You can see pictures of our setup in the 2-up camping gear thread. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=651955

http://www.bigagnes.com/Products/ProductFinder/Bag

Don't bring a motorcycle to a car fight
GSWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:31 AM   #26
Ranger Ron
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snr Moment View Post
Down? I have one and it's Climashield Prism. Very nice bag and it packs relatively small for a synthetic bag - close enough in size to a down of the same 20*F rating. Went with the synthetic fill because it goes whitewater rafting with me in addition to being on the bike.
Mine's pretty old. They must be different now...

Ron
Ranger Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:26 AM   #27
henrymartin
Mr. Tourguide

Oddometer: 3,361
I like synthetic due o ease of dry/wash if needed. I have LaFuma Patrol rated to 25F degrees, it is a mummy, but can e used to attach to other mummy (for camping with your loved one), and weighs 3lbs packed. Yes, there are lighter ones, but my bag has seen probably 100 nights, several washes, and still keeps me warm without as much as a ripped thread on it.
henrymartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:18 AM   #28
bray8
n00b

Oddometer: 6
I've had moutain equipment co-op's merlin -3 bag for about 4 years. It's a down bag rated for -3 and it packs smaller than anything else I could find for a similar price or temperature rating. It's held up to lots of camping and the west coast trail and its got a great warranty if you do manage to break it.
bray8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:11 AM   #29
ADVWannabee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuckaMan View Post
P.S. Another big discovery from this thread is Sunnysports.com. Excellent prices!!!
I found them when I was buying my Eureka Apex 2XT tent last summer. They had as good a price as any, which is to say much cheaper than local stores, and shipped the next day. I would definitely use them again.
ADVWannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:07 PM   #30
redredred
n00b Extraordinaire

Oddometer: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by osii View Post
Dude, I was browsing over at Wally World following that link.

The price of this stuff has come down so low you could just ride to a rally and when you get there, spend about a hundred and buy everything you need at WallyWorld. That Everest +5 bag for $29???? WOW!!

Tent - $29
Sleeping Bag - $30
Pad or Air mattress - $12 - 16
Nice Chair - $10

I look back on all the expensive stuff i used to buy that now can be had at Wally World or Harbor Freight a tenth of the price and I just cringe.

For what you would spend on a good set of luggage, you could just buy everything and toss it along the way and it would still be less than a hotel.
that everest bag is looking pretty good:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=2581360

$30 + $1 shipping and the one of the reviews compares it to the north face cat's meow. i may have to pick that bad boy up, nice find!
redredred is offline   Reply With Quote