User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2011, 12:26 AM   #31
tireloe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
USe USA

I have to pitch in my vote for http://www.westernmountaineering.com...=Sleeping-Bags
Made in california. Old player in the game, real top notch equipment. I have the 'ultralight' and it does pack real small, weighs nothing. Their hilight weighs/ packs less and costs a bit less too. Warmth down to 30.
tireloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:09 PM   #32
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by redredred View Post
that everest bag is looking pretty good:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=2581360

$30 + $1 shipping and the one of the reviews compares it to the north face cat's meow. i may have to pick that bad boy up, nice find!
and a 2 pack of those is only $40
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:22 PM   #33
mtnpass
Admiral Vag

Oddometer: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snr Moment View Post
Down? I have one and it's Climashield Prism. Very nice bag and it packs relatively small for a synthetic bag - close enough in size to a down of the same 20*F rating. Went with the synthetic fill because it goes whitewater rafting with me in addition to being on the bike.
I have the NF Cat's Meow bag as well. Packs small and light. It is synthetic down as this was one of the must haves for me. I am allergic to true down feathers. I have been comfortable in it with minimal clothing all the way to 15 deg. If you are a tall guy like myself, it is nice to have a bag that is avail in Long vs standard lengths. Good luck in your search.

Christian
Old 01-25-2011, 01:39 PM   #34
Captain Beardylocks
travelling beardo

Oddometer: 7,335
I've got an older version of the kelty light year. I put it in a compression sack with clothes for traveling and it packs down to absolutely nothing. A bit warm in the summer, but if you stick to the shade and don't sinch it up, it's alright. Took it winter camping in colorado and was just fine as long as I wore my base layers to sleep.

kinda expensive (~$100 at the time), but not as much as some. I love it.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:33 AM   #35
yellowbirdrs
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 968
Quote:
that everest bag is looking pretty good:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=2581360

$30 + $1 shipping and the one of the reviews compares it to the north face cat's meow. i may have to pick that bad boy up, nice find!
It's looks good but it's to heavy for a motorcycle 2up long ride.
yellowbirdrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:59 AM   #36
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbirdrs View Post
It's looks good but it's to heavy for a motorcycle 2up long ride.
How often do you ride 2 up where you need such an extreme cold weather bag. I don't think I would be able to convince a chick to go riding, let alone camping when it's 0F outside.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:43 PM   #37
heliyardsale
Always looking for Dirt!

Oddometer: 338
You might want to check out your local Target store. I just score three Kelty Camp 30 bags for 14.95 each. They are semi rectangle bags and were marked down from 69.99. I was trying to score their Kelty 20 degree down-filled mummy bag but they were sold out. The mummy bag was 89.99 marked down to 20 bucks, a complete steal at that price. There may be some left at a store near you!
Doc Mike

Heli (Doc Mike)
heliyardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:07 PM   #38
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by heliyardsale View Post
You might want to check out your local Target store. I just score three Kelty Camp 30 bags for 14.95 each. They are semi rectangle bags and were marked down from 69.99. I was trying to score their Kelty 20 degree down-filled mummy bag but they were sold out. The mummy bag was 89.99 marked down to 20 bucks, a complete steal at that price. There may be some left at a store near you!
Doc Mike
Wow, when did Target start carrying Kelty. I don't even think my local store even carries camping gear. But then again I'm in Brooklyn.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:44 PM   #39
PDX Alamo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
Mico Tek under another name

Quote:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/2579726
Micro Tek Ultra-Compact Mummy 30-Degree Sleeping Bag
$34 from wally world (currently OOS)

rated for 30*F. i used this sleeping bag up at joshua tree on a 35* night. i was wearing flannel pajamas and a flannel shirt and felt fine. it compacts down to about the size of a cantaloupe. i haven't weighed my bag but i would estimate it is about 3 or 4 lbs. great motorcycling sleeping bag for cheap.

Thanks for the tip although Walmart has them sold out its actually under the name Suisse Sport as the brand at Amazon with the name of the bag Micro Tekk. It has 400 4 star reviews on it with some great reviews, Picking one up today.

http://www.amazon.com/Suisse-Sport-A...0581424&sr=1-1
PDX Alamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:08 PM   #40
what car??
down the road

Oddometer: 354
Walmart sucks, plain and simple!!! 'nough said!!!

I have been in the backpacking climbing world for the past 10+ years solidly! Bought a Cat's Meow for the g/f, not a bad bag. Mountain Hardware products are and have always been staples in my clothing and kit line up for years. However about 7 years ago I bought a Western Mountaineering down bag. I threw it outside the day after Christmas and the temp went down to -13F, bag rating was at 0F; I had to shed down to boxers only and still had to occasionally open the bag to vent. Further tested it at Chasm Lake (base of Longs Peak in Colorado, about 12,800') a few days later for New Years. Again, windy, cold temps, snow and still stayed way warm. Compacts really nicely, which for me is very important as I do a fair amount of solo climbing/backpacking, etc....

I guess a couple of questions: what are the conditions that you are going to subject yourself too??? If wetter conditions, the choice is obvious; synthetic as you will stay fairly warm when wet. Down gets wet, totally unusable, not good if your butt depends on it. What temperature range do you see yourself using this bag? You can also use an inflatable/insulated pad to assist you staying warm, ie... Big Agnes. The Mountain Hardware line looks pretty promising in packed size, the quality is good, I have never had any issues with the customer service either, similar to Western Mountaineering.... Arrggghhh tough choices sometimes.

I am planning on a Western Hemisphere ride starting this August and doing some climbing when in Andes. So I am looking at what kind of bag I plan on taking. Still on the fence with that choice. You might want to check out this site and snoop around for more questions and insight on light and right, which is a common decree within the climbing community. You can also find good deals from there also: www.mountainproject.com. One thing I have found, cheap, sometimes equals compromised comfort/safety/longevity and sometimes fun. Who is having fun when they had no sleep from being cold, wet, and miserable from a shit bag??? Best of fortune on your bag search...

what car??
what car?? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:01 PM   #41
PDX Alamo
Gnarly Adventurer

I spoke to soon that bag was cheap an sucked. It was warm and small but the zipper was crapola. I spent many a night trying to get it back on track by biting it shut. Cheap metal zipper, anyhow got a big Agnes 15 degree bag and love it. Buy a compression sack and it will get small in a hurry.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:36 PM   #42
forrestlaw
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Ron View Post
The North Face "Cat's Meow" would be ideal for what you have in mind. It's a lightweight down bag that packs small.

Ron
+1
The cat's meow is a great bag. The North Face Blue Kazoo is the same bag with a down filler. I've had mine for 8 years and really like it.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:38 PM   #43
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,370
I am looking for a good 3 season bag myself. Looking at the Big Agnes Lost Ranger.
burmbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:11 PM   #44
PDX Alamo
Gnarly Adventurer

I have the encampment, like the extra space. Not a fan of the mummy
Old 09-28-2012, 08:23 PM   #45
Phineas Whipsnake
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
I've camped & backpacked for 50 years, and IMHO, skimping on a sleeping bag isn't where you want to cut corners. That WallyWorld bag for $23 sounds too good to be true. Hell that's about the sales tax on a serious bag. I currently use the REI Radiant down bag for motorcycle camping. Works well, packs small, warm as toast, reliable zippers. If you don't like it, REI will let you trade for any other bag or refund your money. I just can't bring myself to buy WalMart stuff, mostly for political reasons.
Phineas Whipsnake is offline   Reply With Quote