Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-21-2014, 06:45 AM   #1
nskitts OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,969
What's the best vacuum to buy?

This thread sucks!!

We have had a Dyson for about 8 years and it has done great for the first few years and not so great for the past few so the wife wants to sell it and replace it with another Dyson.

What have you found to be the best for pet hair, dust, dirt, etc? What do you love about your sweeper, and what do you hate about your sweeper?

I realize there are about 5 camps of sweeper owners:

1. Rainbow, Kirby, old Electrolux and possibly the Oreck fans----BMW GS types
2. Hoover or whatever Wal-Mart has for as cheap as possible because only a fool would pay several hundred (or thousand) for a sweeper.---KLR types.
3. Consumer Reports fans that will buy whatever they say is the best.
4. Dysons because they love the marketing machine of Dyson and the coolness factor.
5. I use a Shop-Vac in the house because I am an individualist and make my own path in this world.

nskitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:15 AM   #2
Maritimer
Bikeless Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
SWMBO has made a study of these as of late.
We've had a few Kenmore canisters over the years and to me they work fine.
Somewhat disposable after about 5 years, but fine otherwise.

She was thinking Dyson, but is more of a Type 3 person (as per your list) and Dyson doesn't seem to be making the grade. I've seen a couple of threads here around the extra cleaning required to maintain the 'no loss of suction' Dyson claim.

Current frontrunner to replace the Kenmore is a Miele...About 6-700 bones for the one she wants (top 'o the line available at Sears)

Yes, dear...

EDIT: We are a 3 cat household, No wall to wall carpet, but several large rugs. The house is about 2000 sqft of vacuuming.

The shortest distance between two points....is not the point.
Maritimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:33 AM   #3
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,261
We have a dyson. I hate it. Little stupid shit always going wrong, the handle won't come out the little flap that closes off the suction you have to manually flip over. It does work well but for $500 jeebus. I'd rather buy something else. Plus that pretentious twatwaffle on TV makes me want to smash it with a sledgehammer.

One of my wife's rich girlfriends, who has a maid, said it was the best. Guess who vacuums in our house?

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:36 AM   #4
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Oddometer: 15,561
Wife was given a rainbow from a friend of hers, it had stopped working.

I googled the instruction pdf, and cleaned it all up and it works fine.

it is a PAIN IN THE ass to use, the water reservoir thing, then dump it, then wash and dry it to put it away.

but, it does trap more stuff than any of the bag, or bag + hepa output filter vacs previously have stopped ( less dust in the house)

we all have allergies, and we live with a rabbit that sheds and makes us sneeze, and a large dog, that sheds like a wookie in a fight with a weedeater.

no way in hell Id pay the retail on one of these rainbows though.
mouthfulloflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:37 AM   #5
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,209
The vacuum cleaner sales men tell you Miele is best. Wife insists that the Sears Kenmore is virtually the same and we bought one of them for only a few hundred bucks, IIRC, four years ago.

Canister with hose model, seems to work fine, never had problems so far.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:43 AM   #6
Spud99
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 442
Vacuuming is man's work.
Either choose your own vacuum or hire a maid.
Spud99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:45 AM   #7
mjydrafter
evil boy for life

Oddometer: 3,971
Kirby, it's metal, it has a transmission.

Shop used.
Yes! Whenever bicycles are broken, or menaced by International Communism, Bicycle Repair Man is ready!
mjydrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:23 AM   #8
Cogswell
Spudly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,907
A Man's vacuum cleaner

Mike
The good thing is, your damn motor can't read. If it says oil on the container, it's pretty much OK to dump in there.... ED.
Cogswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:24 AM   #9
Bandit240
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
All depends on what you have for floors and what type you want. All carpet? An upright would be fine. Half carpet and half hard wood? A canister with removable power nozzle would be best. All hardwood? Canister with a large floor brush would be the ticket, add a air driven brush bar for the rugs. Bagged or bag less? To me that is a no brainer, give me a bag anyday.

I worked in the repair side of the vacuum world for a few years, so I'll give me opinion based on the repairs. Dyson is junk. Parts are expensive and a lot of stuff was only replaceable as a unit. Belt goes bad on the beater bar, replace the whole power head(only a few were like this). Lifetime filters? When they are dirty, that's their lifetime. Dyson is bad for motor failures due to the filter being forgotten. Ken more makes a good machine, but figuring out what one it is if it breaks is a pain. The exact same model machine could have 3 or 4 different control boards depending on what mood the assembler was in that day. Kirby is a good machine, but expensive to fix. They are easy to work on though. Many can be had for a good deal. Almost any of the cheap walmart machines are just what they are. They do clean, but they are throwaway machines.

My personal vacuum is a Miele. Of all the machines we sold and repaired, they had the least issues. A few of the cleaning company's around here use them and they survive that abuse. I have all hard floors, so I've got a canister with a big floor brush. I like the self sealing bags. When it's full and I open the lid, a little flap closes off the bag.
Bandit240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:53 AM   #10
Sundog
boon

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit240 View Post

My personal vacuum is a Miele. Of all the machines we sold and repaired, they had the least issues. A few of the cleaning company's around here use them and they survive that abuse. I have all hard floors, so I've got a canister with a big floor brush. I like the self sealing bags. When it's full and I open the lid, a little flap closes off the bag.
I agree about the Miele. Had many cheap vacuums over the years, and neighbor had a Miele. I thought nobody in their right mind would pay that for a vacuum, when you can get used one for 25$, but I eventually went for it. That was almost 20 years ago, and have NEVER had a single problem and don't expect to ever have one. Powerful, great bags, great filters, beater brush. One of those First Class, Third Class things in my opinion. Buy a POS that get the job done and replace it every year or so, or if you can/ and willing, go for the best.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:55 AM   #11
A-Bone
Indubitably

Oddometer: 12,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogswell View Post
A Man's vacuum cleaner

Mike
A-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:59 AM   #12
Dismount
Boring bastard

Oddometer: 8,656
https://www.shopvac.com/wet-dry-vacs...cSKU=965-06-00

Pet hair aint a problem when you can just suck the cat up along with the furniture.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:01 AM   #13
A-Bone
Indubitably

Oddometer: 12,365
Wifey swears by Oreck... and she is not affraid to spend money on something if she thinks the quality is worth it... I think a decent one can be had for less than $300-$400..

http://www.oreck.com/

The one we have at the house is at least 10 years old...

We have a couple of the commercial ones for a building we own as well...

Have yet to have one die... just drive belts and bags..

http://www.oreck.com/commercial-vacu...acuum-Cleaners
A-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:18 AM   #14
RockyRaccoon
Found:Gideon's Bible

Oddometer: 59,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundog View Post
I agree about the Miele. Had many cheap vacuums over the years, and neighbor had a Miele. I thought nobody in their right mind would pay that for a vacuum, when you can get used one for 25$, but I eventually went for it. That was almost 20 years ago, and have NEVER had a single problem and don't expect to ever have one. Powerful, great bags, great filters, beater brush. One of those First Class, Third Class things in my opinion. Buy a POS that get the job done and replace it every year or so, or if you can/ and willing, go for the best.
Oh my god, whatever you do, do not get a Miele. I got one for my wife, and she loved it while it lasted, but it was completely thrashed after about three years. The motor was howling and we took it to the authorized dealer, who said it would cost more to fix than it was worth (even with the warranty). He compared Miele to a racehorse, a fine but delicate creature, not a workhorse to go the distance. Then he tried to sell us a Riccar. In addition to being delicate and expensive to buy, the Miele bags, filters and (other misc. parts that you will definitely need to keep it running) are extremely expensive.

Our current vacuum is a ProTeam. It's a commercial brand. Very simple design, easy to work on, nearly indestructible, and the bags are very cheap and easy to find.

“It is a far, far better thing to have a firm anchor in nonsense than to put out on the troubled seas of thought.” -- John Kenneth Galbraith

RockyRaccoon screwed with this post 07-21-2014 at 10:11 AM
RockyRaccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:21 AM   #15
Bandit240
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Bone View Post
Wifey swears by Oreck... and she is not affraid to spend money on something if she thinks the quality is worth it... I think a decent one can be had for less than $300-$400..

http://www.oreck.com/

The one we have at the house is at least 10 years old...

We have a couple of the commercial ones for a building we own as well...

Have yet to have one die... just drive belts and bags..

http://www.oreck.com/commercial-vacu...acuum-Cleaners
Orecks are great machines, for carpet. For hard surface floors, you really don't want a beater bar running on it all the time. Plus most Orecks have little metal bars that will scratch hard floors. Only down side to Oreck machines is that they can be fragile. That pivot neck at the bottom breaks and takes the fan with it, or vice versa.
Bandit240 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: