User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2014, 08:50 AM   #1
NICO OP
NWGS's pwner!1!!1!

Oddometer: 24,701
So Uncle Nico wants to buy a TV...

I know we've had a bunch of tv threads here, but given the speed at which the tech advances and the fact that my purchase is likely to be at a local Costco, I thought I would throw a few options out here, along with what we need the tv to do for us and allow the massive brains with the knowledge to guide me toward the proper purchase.

First and foremost, I'd like to hear about any reliability issues. I understand this is often a crapshoot, but also that there are some manufacturers who sell absolute crap and want to avoid them if at all possible.

As to needs:
  1. Quality viewing of blue-ray movies.
  2. Gaming using the soon to be purchased PS4.
  3. Prefer to keep price under $1000.

That's about the gist of it,. Pretty easy, eh?

We're going to get set up with some sort of online movie/tv show access such as HULU or..., but that is another thread in itself.

The room has a large picture window that will likely be directly across from the set, so glare could be an issue that would drive me nuts.

It seems plasma is going the way of the dinosaur, but I can't help but to be drawn to them yet as the picture quality seems to be far better than most LED. (I understand the setup of sets on the floor is usually not the best indicator of potential quality, but how would one go about getting past that issue?)

I don't need 3D anything. Find it to be gimmicky and over complicates things, IMO. I want a basic tv with great picture quality that will give me good life. Hopeful on the lifespan thing as it seems folks are becoming conditioned to the idea that 5 years is about it for lifespan on a tv anymore. I find that to be ridiculous.

ETA: Room size will put viewing distance at about 13'-15'. I figure a 50-60" set will be more than sufficient. Larger would be better for gaming, IMO, as split screens for racing would benefit from more space.

NICO screwed with this post 12-14-2014 at 09:01 AM
NICO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 08:54 AM   #2
NICO OP
NWGS's pwner!1!!1!

Set one for consideration is a plasma:

Samsung 60" Class (59.9" Diag.)
1080p Plasma HDTV PN60F5350BFXZA

$699 at Costco.

Specs:
Quote:
Brand: Samsung
Cabinet Style: Tabletop or Wall-Mount Flat Panel
Closed Caption: Yes
Depth: 32.4 in.
Energy Star Compliant: Yes
Game Mode: Yes
HDTV: HDTV (Receiver/Tuner is Built-In)
Height: 2.2 in.
Includes Stand: With Stand
Mount Bracket/VESA Compatible: 600mm x 400mm
Number of A/V (Composite) Inputs: 1
Number of Component Inputs: 1
Number of HDMI: 2
Number of Optical Audio Outputs: 1
Number of RF Inputs: 1
Number of USB Inputs: 1
On-Screen Menu: English/Spanish/French
Resolution Description: 1080p
Screen Size Class: 60 in.
Speaker Watts (Each): 10
Speakers Built-in: 2
Timer: Sleep Timer (Off Timer)
Type of Remote Control: Remote Control
Type of Television: 16:9 Plasma Monitor
Weight: 58.9 lb.
Width: 54.7 in.
Old 12-14-2014, 08:56 AM   #3
NICO OP
NWGS's pwner!1!!1!

Set two:

Vizio 49" Class (48.5" Diag.)
1080p Smart LED HDTV M492i-B2

$529

Smaller, yes, but as I understand it I need to look for the higher refresh rate and the rest of the sub-$1000 offerings are 120hz.
Old 12-14-2014, 09:18 AM   #4
Maggot12
Banned

Oddometer: 3,689
Set 1, the Samsung but get the model with the smart option. It'll be the same plazma, size etc.
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 10:12 AM   #5
NICO OP
NWGS's pwner!1!!1!

What can the smart function/option do that cannot be achieved with other means?

Is it better to have the functionality incorporated or to maintain a separate controller/device in case of failure so as to not take out the tv?
Old 12-14-2014, 10:29 AM   #6
Maggot12
Banned

Oddometer: 3,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by NICO View Post

Is it better to have the functionality incorporated or to maintain a separate controller/device in case of failure so as to not take out the tv?

Apps and wifi. Netflix, youtube etc built into the tv and can use my tablet to function the tv. Can log in to adv on the television as well.
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 11:02 AM   #7
Tweaker

Oddometer: 9,251
Quote:

I am firmly in the non-smart camp. My tv is already outdated, in fact it was before I bought it and there are no updates. And then you are stuck with what they will allow. For example, will Sony prohibit you from playing certain file types on their TV, they do on the PS3. Being the independent type, I built a small media center that does everything any smart tv will and much more for under $200 with constant updates. You can do the same with a $35 Pi (but it's slower).
Tweaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 11:14 AM   #8
HillbillyNinja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,826
Quote:

Build a budget HTPC and get the best dumb TV you can afford.

This is a decent reference if you're somewhat handy. http://mymediaexperience.com/

or
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/build-l...-am1-platform/

On the bright side, you'll always be up to date on software, because you'll be in control of when it updates for windows or Linux. If some new feature comes along that you have to have, you can usually just perform a minor upgrade on the HTPC instead of buying a new TV.

I've been running some form of HTPC, NAS and media center for over a decade. I cut the cord in 2008 and haven't looked back.
I had rather be shut up in a very modest cottage with my books, my family and a few old friends, dining on simple bacon, and letting the world roll on as it liked, than to occupy the most splendid post, which any human power can give. -Thomas Jefferson
HillbillyNinja is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 02:40 PM   #9
manganos
Let me pontificate.

Oddometer: 3,454
I ended up with a NON SMART led tv and a ROKU box. Awesome setup. I now have ROKU's on most of my TV's.
Old 12-14-2014, 02:42 PM   #10
Bappo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
www.rtings.com has good reviews and actually covers gaming as a category.

I just went through the same thing (no gaming need) and bought a Samsung 7150. Couldn't be happier.

For gaming, Sony and Visio win over Samsung.
Bappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 07:55 PM   #11
hgulledge
Adventurer-of-sorts

Oddometer: 1,276
At 15 feet, I don't think 50" would be optimum. Maybe 65-70" if possible. Plasma is great, mine is Panasonic, now discontinued, but a constant source of glare would be a real problem. Get the smart one. All the media options are built in and optimized for the set. I got 3D. Don't use it much, but the grandkids like to watch animated stuff in 3D. Sets are cheap now. I saw a 50" today in Target for $300. PM SniperX.
Old 12-14-2014, 08:24 PM   #12
Bicyclist
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 450
http://arstechnica.com/security/2013...sb-file-names/

Interesting story about LG smart tv phoning home with info about the user's viewing habits. The outgoing data was unencrypted and included file names of things connected to the tv. The user was pissed when he discovered that the names of his kids, which were on a usb stick plugged into the set were sent out.
Old 12-14-2014, 08:50 PM   #13
NICO OP
NWGS's pwner!1!!1!

Thanks so far. I'm on the fence for the smart angle. If I can use a Roku or similar to connect to online source, I am probably content with that.

Any issues with using a game system on a plasma? Burn issues or anything of the sort? I think the kids are responsible enough to not walk away and leave the tv on with a game just humming, but I am not interested in finding out hte hard way on that one either. Do sets have a timed sleep mode for such cases?

For clarification, I am not so stubborn that I must buy from Costco. If a system is available elsewhere, and it proves to be a better value than I can find at the big C, I would certainly purchase elsewhere.
Old 12-15-2014, 06:46 AM   #14
manganos
Let me pontificate.

Oddometer: 3,454
I used a PS3 on a Sony Plasma monitor. I didn't need the tuner. It was back when a 50" plasma was around $6000. I didn't have any issues but I'm anal about not leaving it on etc.

I will say one thing about plasma. At least the older generations of plasma. They put out some damn heat. You could walk 5 ft away from the TV and feel the heat output. It was wasted energy and when I replaced it with an LED my power bill did go down a bit. Not sure if it was the TV but it went down.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:47 AM   #15
savage97
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Since you have a picture window directly across from the screen I wouldn't recommend a plasma. I was in the same boat as you about a year and a half ago and bought a 60" Samsung plasma. I also have windows directly across from the t.v. and the glare drove me nuts even with the blinds down and curtains closed, but the picture was awesome at night. I ended up with a 60" e-series Vizio and I have been very happy with it. Check out the reviews on Cnet's website they rate the Vizio e-series very highly. And if you might even be able to get a 65 or 70 inch in your budget if you watch for sales.
savage97 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: