Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2012, 05:09 AM   #136
deejay_xr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMark View Post
I have been working on a new system just for the XR600.
The problem was the location of the XR600 motor mount. It did not align with the aluminum strap that bolted to the motor mount on the XR650L. One longer spacer and bolt is also required where the mount bolts to the side cover... I think. Somebody please correct me if I am wrong.
Have you contacted benno.h in this thread as well (page 6)? He mounted one of your coolers on his XR6

deejay_xr screwed with this post 03-29-2012 at 07:39 AM
deejay_xr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:12 PM   #137
GSMark OP
Just Love Bikes

Oddometer: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by deejay_xr View Post
Have you contacted benno.h in this thread as well (page 6)? He mounted one of your coolers on his XR6
Thanks for the reminder.
Getting old. Suffering from CRS.
I got the XR650 mixed up with the 650 Dominator/NX650 as far as the motor mount goes.

My new guard will work great on the 650 Dominator/NX650.

I just received some info from an inmate with the proper spacer and bolt length for the XR650.
I will work on that before I send to any XR600 owners. I really want to get everything right. Too anal,

Thanks all for the help guys!
Cheers,
Mark
KTM 990 Adventure Honda CRF450 Supermoto H-D Sportster Streettracker Honda XR650L
GSMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:46 PM   #138
GSMark OP
Just Love Bikes

Upgrade for the oli cooler kit.

I am in the process of upgrading my design for the guard. Nothing is finalized. I want to show you what I have so far and let you know what I am thinking.

My goal is to make the installation process simpler, make a better product, keep the price reasonable, and have 15 less parts parts to the kit.
This will be an easy upgrade for anyone with the original kit too.

I received some parts today from the water-jet machinist.

My latest design does not bolt to the frame/motor mount. The guard bolts up between the oil cooler and the oil cooler mount. I really like this. Very simple and clean. No rivet nuts, 5mm washers, bolts, nuts, no aluminum strap.
This will work very well for the guys with the NX650 too.
The only thing that might worry people is that the guard does not bolt to the frame/motor mount. The guard is made from 1/8" aluminum and pretty tough. What do you guys think?

In case you guys think that the guard should bolt to the frame, I am working on another design.
This was cut out without vents to keep the cost down for prototype fitment. I am still working on this prototype.
This one will bolt to the motor mount, similar to the original design, but it will have to have rubber isolation where it bolts to the frame. I will keep you updated as I try to make this one work.

Take a look at the photos and let me know what you think.

Cheers,
Mark
KTM 990 Adventure Honda CRF450 Supermoto H-D Sportster Streettracker Honda XR650L

GSMark screwed with this post 03-30-2012 at 07:11 AM Reason: typo
Old 03-30-2012, 07:20 AM   #139
deejay_xr
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

Take a look at the photos and let me know what you think.
Awesome !

Although I have to say I think it looks much more sleek this way, maybe the frame mount would still be a good idea structurally for the guys that ride offroad.
I you managed to land on a rock or something with the cooler, the whole will be able to take more of a beating with the frame mount and it would reduce the chance of wrecking the stator cover along with it ( I think).

This won't really be a problem for me since I made the conversion to supermoto and only ride street, on flat surfaces it would be challenge to hit the cooler I think if the bike lands on it's side.

I'd like to go with just the stator cover mounts personally

deejay_xr screwed with this post 03-30-2012 at 07:26 AM
Old 03-30-2012, 09:01 AM   #140
AllenL
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
This revision looks good. It seems to me that for off-road riding you'd want to keep the frame mounting point as well. If you took a digger, or a boulder, or a tree to the oil cooler without the frame mount, it would flex out and as stout as your design looks, it seems to me like it may break either where its mounted to the case or the case itself.

For those that prefer the sleek look, and don't need the added protection, your revision looks excellent. My bike will be seeing mostly street use and I'm definitely interested in this one.

Is the case pattern the same on the xr650 as the xr600r? I ask because it seems like this case mounted revision might work on the xr600s?
Old 03-31-2012, 10:06 AM   #141
GSMark OP
Just Love Bikes

New Guard Design uptate:

It looks like the guard will be frame mounted and rubber isolated along with the oil cooler.

Owners of my original oil cooler kit need not worry...
When finished this new guard can replace the original guard without any modifications. I don't have a price yet if you are wanting to upgrade. I will make the price as affordable as possible.

I am working on a frame mounted guard. I have been very busy and will answer my PMs and email asap.
Here is a photo of the fun that I am having:

About the new guard design:
If I made the guard bolt directly to the frame, the other end of the guard would have to blot to the outside of the oil cooler mount. That looked way too bulky and added a big visual mass to the whole setup. Made a bunch of scrap on this idea. Oh well...

I decided to bolt the guard inside of the oil cooler mount like my prototype in the above photos.
Now this makes the guard rubber isolated along with the cooler. The mount to the frame therefore has to be rubber isolated too.
The rubber mount has a thick aluminum sleeve inside. This will enable the motor mount to be torqued to spec.
A longer motor mount bolt will have to be added to the finished kit.

I still have to make some small revisions to my drawings. This will require another prototype to be cut.

The final version will have vents.
Here is a Photoshop version of the guard with vents.

Please let me know what you guys think.

Stay tuned.
Mark

GSMark screwed with this post 03-31-2012 at 09:31 PM Reason: typos
Old 03-31-2012, 10:50 AM   #142
DRZ400SM1981
One meaty Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Frame Mount for the 600

Once you work out all the intricacies for adapting the rubber isolated frame mount for the XR600 I'm in! Freeway temps are just making me cringe.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=646824
DRZ400SM1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 01:07 PM   #143
deejay_xr
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

Please let me know what you guys think.

That's some good lookin' hardware !

So does that mean you will be selling both set-ups, or just the new one with the updated isolated frame-mount?

deejay_xr screwed with this post 03-31-2012 at 02:03 PM
Old 03-31-2012, 09:48 PM   #144
GSMark OP
Just Love Bikes

Quote:
That's some good lookin' hardware !

So does that mean you will be selling both set-ups, or just the new one with the updated isolated frame-mount?
Thanks!
I will sell BOTH guards. One for light duty/NX650 and one motor mount supported for the XR650L and XR600..

Check out the new bolts and washers for mounting the cooler:

What do you think?

Cheers,
Mark
Old 03-31-2012, 11:01 PM   #145
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,625
I like the new bolts and washers very much, Mark.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 04:34 AM   #146
adventurer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Looks great, the old setup was good but this looks alot cleaner.
Also the new bolts just finish it off

Graeme
adventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:15 AM   #147
AllenL
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
I'm stoked to see one mounted on my bike. Thanks for all the well thought-out work!
Old 04-01-2012, 03:41 PM   #148
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,206
I like the new guard that attaches to the frame with rubber isolsation Mark,,nice idea,,simpler too.........i really like the new bolts /washers that bolt to the cooler,look like my tank mounts you made....

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:06 PM   #149
deejay_xr
Gnarly Adventurer

I'm antsy about being able to order one of these puppies Mark, whenever you're ready !

No pressure....
Old 04-08-2012, 08:00 PM   #150
D-man
SHUT UP & RIDE!

Oddometer: 751
Quote:
I'm antsy about being able to order one of these puppies Mark, whenever you're ready !

No pressure....
No pressure, but I think you have several IMMEDIATE sales pending the next batch!

IT'S ALL GOOD!

D-man is offline   Reply With Quote