User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2011, 01:58 AM   #61
istanbulian
950S Adventure

Oddometer: 55
+1 on Weld86 too

I thought it was a bit of overkill but on getting my bike back from the shippers, and cleaning it I can see that in the 6,500 miles between Latvia and Ulaanbaatar it soaked up a huge amount of potential damage; one rock had even managed to slightly deform the projecting clutch protection. Hate to think what would have happened with a lesser product.

Great piece of kit
istanbulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 02:43 AM   #62
sledstorm1
CT RAMBLER'S MC CLUB

Oddometer: 823
I purchased the skid and kick bracket! That's a proper skid plate for this bike for sure! +1
Old 11-23-2011, 07:17 PM   #63
geometrician
let's keep going...

Oddometer: 1,024
TT thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gefr View Post
I think I should bring up my experience with VR failure. I had it die on me, on a hot sunny day in August last year. Fried my battery, my EFI and my ABS! So don't think it is too difficult to happen. I was wearing my stock skidplate on. This is why TT have their skidplate drilled.
Another point I should make, concerning all aftermarket skidplates is the two rubber supporting points at the bottom of the OEM skidplate. These are very important, since they divide the distance between the supporting mounts in half. That makes the OEM bashplate to withstand 4 times biger force than it would without this support. So if aftermarket skidplates could get equipped with this support, that would be a huge improvement.
Cheers.
I bought the TT plate & sent it back went for Weld 86. 220 watts of forward lighting on all the time, no battery or reg/rect problems... I think the VR should be moved somewhere else anyway for air flow & mud protection but haven't had any problems...

as for the TT support subframe/rubber dampers (added complexity & faliure/stress points) I think the energy should go into the chrome-moly frame rather than my sand-cast aluminum engine cases

I'd say TT has their plate drilled for weight & looks as it goes with the rest of their kit in the catalogs.Any holes are going to re-route & concentrate stresses in an aluminum plate, so less is better for ultimate protection.There are lots of sharp-edged, heavy rocks of all sizes where I ride so I want all coverage I can get

ymmv
'87 KLR650 - <200K miles "Like the Energizer Bunny, just keeps going & going..."
geometrician is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:46 AM   #64
Camion
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Just finish my 4mm skid plate :) Welder said :"I can produce same for 130$.But in Russia :) ".

Camion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:35 AM   #65
Narsisco Lopez
Addlepated

Oddometer: 2,207
Got mine from Charlie a couple of weeks ago. All I can say is... FUCKING AWESOME!

Narsisco Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:46 PM   #66
ShadySmurf
Does Own Stunts

Oddometer: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narsisco Lopez View Post
Got mine from Charlie a couple of weeks ago. All I can say is... FUCKING AWESOME!

I think the awesome of this skid plate is being tarnished by that box set of Glee right behind it
ShadySmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 06:10 AM   #67
homere
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Nice!!
homere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:16 AM   #68
M.Mars
híppos leukós

Oddometer: 202
Awesome skidplate! Got it about two months ago and now put about 2000 miles on it without any problems.
When installing i had a problem with the side stand support. It didn't want to fit without a slight modification and the front mounting hole on my bike is not threaded so I had to get a large bolt and put it through to the other side of the engine case. But I would blame my bikes being a 2004 950 S euro model for that and not weld86.
M.Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 03:18 AM   #69
Oz Nutter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,125
Which mine mate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundOz View Post
I can see this thread dissolving into a discussion about which firearms could punch a hole in the plate and which couldn't, all because of my poor choice of adjectives. The laborers/machine operators I used to work with in underground mines in Australia were known as "feds" and a common saying was "You can make something foolproof but you can't make it fed-proof"...maybe that would have been a better choice...

To get back off that tangent, if you are going to carry a little extra protection, below the belt is a better place than most...
I've worked underground too. Never heard the term "feds" in any mine. Where did you work?
Oz Nutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:08 PM   #70
RoundOz OP
Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer: 967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz Nutter View Post
I've worked underground too. Never heard the term "feds" in any mine. Where did you work?
Well, and I thought the term wasn't that regional, or maybe it is just old. Short for Miners FEDeration (UMFA, which became the CFMEU during my time). Not to ramble on on this hijack (PM me if you want more info), but I worked in UG collieries in the Lithgow area from 82 to 99, with a sizable gap in the middle, specifically at Clarence, Blue Mountains and Springvale.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:45 AM   #71
Oz Nutter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,125
Entering portal....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundOz View Post
Well, and I thought the term wasn't that regional, or maybe it is just old. Short for Miners FEDeration (UMFA, which became the CFMEU during my time). Not to ramble on on this hijack (PM me if you want more info), but I worked in UG collieries in the Lithgow area from 82 to 99, with a sizable gap in the middle, specifically at Clarence, Blue Mountains and Springvale.
Cool mate...
Oz Nutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:04 AM   #72
Nechako
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Side stand relocation bracket

With this can I stand on my foot pegs to mount my 2010 990R? She is a little tall for my vertically challenged stature !!
Old 10-10-2012, 06:05 AM   #73
homere
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nechako View Post
With this can I stand on my foot pegs to mount my 2010 990R? She is a little tall for my vertically challenged stature !!
I would think so.
homere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:07 AM   #74
Narsisco Lopez
Addlepated

Oddometer: 2,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nechako View Post
I'm 5'7" and mount my bike this way on a regular basis... the side stand reinforcement/relocator I put on the bike last year is just fine.
A Few Past Bikes
: 2003 Suzuki DRZ400E | 2012 BMW K13S | 2009 KTM 990 Adventure
Narsisco Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:16 AM   #75
zen rider
veteran rider

Oddometer: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camion View Post
Just finish my 4mm skid plate :) Welder said :"I can produce same for 130$.But in Russia :) ".

No offense intended, but the details of this unit appear to be inferior to the very nice Weld86, even though your price is good. The angle of the curves seem a little off and the wleds look a bit sloppy. For a $14000+ bike like the 990 Adventure, I personally want a nice looking and well built piece.