Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2011, 11:28 AM   #1
LarryRickenbacker OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Would HD ever make a scooter?

Howdy,

Given that HD has already broken ground on a facility in India, would HD ever make a scooter? A plant in India would obviously help keep costs down.
Should gas prices hit $4, $5 and remain in that range, HD could expand thier somewhat limited demographic (Baby Boomers) with say a 150 or 250cc scoot. Heck scooters just might appeal to thier current owners as well as other traditional bikers who dont't want to bother with a 1,000+cc bike just to run an errand. Chime in!

PS: I'm pretty sure that HD in fact made a scooter decades ago, fwiw.
LarryRickenbacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:23 PM   #2
garfey
Scruffy Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,864
Yeppers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fcgfXKOw9M
Old 01-19-2011, 12:36 PM   #3
miboso
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
And while not quite a scooter, leave us not forget the HD Shortster
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dmaBh4JTUA
Old 01-19-2011, 01:09 PM   #4
tastroman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,504
I would not hold my breath. Harley will not even make a motorcycle that is not a cruiser.
2009 Buell Ulysses XB12XT
tastroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 01:51 PM   #5
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,332
Last summer I ran into a couple of Harley Factory test riders in the mountains of North Georgia. I had the chance to talk to them. Harley is faced with an aging rider base. Very few riders under the age of about 50 are interested in Harleys. The test riders were trying out a new model designed to appeal to the younger generation which is not only price conscious but also very concerned about the environment. I managed to sneak a couple of pics.

Here it is, The 2103 Harley Davidson Green Glide Ultra Classic

And another view.

.................OK, maybe NOT

When I saw the Harley Key Fob I couldn't resist.

klaviator screwed with this post 01-19-2011 at 01:57 PM
klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 03:33 PM   #6
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryRickenbacker View Post

PS: I'm pretty sure that HD in fact made a scooter decades ago, fwiw.
Here's the Harley Topper.

http://www.harleytopperclub.com/

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 04:31 PM   #7
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Ok, I would REALLY like to see Harley make something under 500 cc. I LOVE Harleys, and V-Twins.

You know, even LIFAN has caught on faster. They make a 250 cc V-twin, which is neat. It doesn't quite sound THAT great and doesn't feel like a Harley, but its sure as hell a start!

When will Harley make a small displacement V-Twin? See, those Shortsters and MX bikes and small displacement bikes they made a while back FAILED for a reason! They resembled NOTHING of a Harley-Davidson! They were mostly built in italy and such, and stamped with H-D's sticker in real terms.

Other than the price and tank badge, they were really just like any other Enduro or small bike. They were little single cylinder 2 stroke and some 4 stroke engines. Whats the big deal about that? They sure don't have that Harley sound or feel, but JUST the Harley price. No reason to buy and thats where the Japanese took over an H-D was stuck with big cruisers.

WHAT they need is to make a range of sweet looking small displacement chrome V-Twin motorcycles. A cool looking cruiser with a true 150 cc V-twin engine WOULD sell big! Especially if it was priced well! Pop it in a cool looking frame AND offer both a 6-speed and CVT for beginners! It WOULD sell if priced correctly.

Then make a CVT scooter with a TRUE V-Twin. I know it would likely have to be a bit different from your average Harley engine, as it would probably need a wet stump crankcase design, maybe liquid cooling, and probably a belt or chain driven cam to get any HP. But this, and make the scoot look cool in a Ruckus way but have chrome, leather, and saddle bags and badge it! That would be one hell of a scooter if it was priced right.

WILL they? Maybe, but it isn't REAL likely, but it is surly out there! But Honda sure doesn't give a damn about customer's wishes on scooters and such, so who knows about H-D?
btcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:10 PM   #8
Chupa

Oddometer: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by btcn View Post
Ok, I would REALLY like to see Harley make something under 500 cc. I LOVE Harleys, and V-Twins.

Then make a CVT scooter with a TRUE V-Twin. I know it would likely have to be a bit different from your average Harley engine, as it would probably need a wet stump crankcase design, maybe liquid cooling, and probably a belt or chain driven cam to get any HP.
I like it! How about if they made it a transverse V-Twin ala Guzzi, but water cooled.

I'm confused; what is an under-boned frame scooter? I assume it is like your Elite and my Scarabeo with a tube frame under the bodywork as opposed to pressed sheet metal frame like a Honda CT90?
Old 01-19-2011, 06:19 PM   #9
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaBETAdog View Post
I like it! How about if they made it a transverse V-Twin ala Guzzi, but water cooled.

I'm confused; what is an under-boned frame scooter? I assume it is like your Elite and my Scarabeo with a tube frame under the bodywork as opposed to pressed sheet metal frame like a Honda CT90?

Yea that would work to! Just a nice V-Twin with that Twin feel! Instead of these maxi scooters with that boring buzz! Like the Yamaha Majesty sounds so horrible with stock exhaust, it makes it feel even more underpowered. I just LOVE that throaty torquey V-Twin feel, even if it doesn't offer inline four performance!

And an under-boned frame scooter? I do think it is a frame made of just one tube. USUALLY an underbone is considered more like a CT90 or such. I GUESS a scooter is sort of an underbone, but it does confuse me.

But scooters also seem to have the engine as a stressed member of the suspension system, as in it goes up and down with the tire, unlike a CT90 with gears. I don't really know exactly how this works though! It seems like that big motor flying up and down would almost throw the scooter off balance [especially on maxis like the Burgman 400], but for some reason it seems to work just fine! But it kinda sucks on huge bumps at highway speeds AND makes the handling characteristics a bit funky.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:44 PM   #10
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,524
Actually, I don't think the Buell Blast was a bad motorcycle. I even liked the looks. But, a 250cc v-twin can be a fine motorcycle. Look at the Hyosung GT250 and GTR250, and the apparently now discontinued Kymco Venox. The Hyosung, if you can find a youtube with sound instead of music, is a sweet sounding engine. As was the Venox. I've read the Venox could hit 90 mph.The Venox looks kind of like the HD Vrod. The Hyosung is a fine looking sporty motorcycle.

The Sportsters don't get too bad of gas mileage. My 2006 XL883 has returned a high of 59.5 in warm weather on a longer ride. I had a 1984 Sportster XLX1000 that averaged 66 mpg.

Birdmove screwed with this post 01-20-2011 at 05:17 PM
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:13 PM   #11
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdmove View Post
Actually, I don't think the Buell Balst was a bad motorcycle. I even liked the looks. But, a 250cc v-twin can be a fine motorcycle. Look at the Hyosung GT250 and GTR250, and the apparently now discontinued Kymco Venox. The Hyosung, if you can find a youtube with sound instead of music, is a sweet sounding engine. As was the Venox. I've read the Venox could hit 90 mph.The Venox looks kind of like the HD Vrod. The Hyosung is a fine looking sporty motorcycle.

The Sportsters don't get too bad of gas mileage. My 2006 XL883 has returned a high of 59.5 in warm weather on a longer ride. I had a 1984 Sportster XLX1000 that averaged 66 mpg.
Yes I agree. But hardly anyone knows of them, and they weren't sold big like they would if Harley made them.

And yes, Sportsters get fine milage. I am actually planning on buying a Sportster 1200 and setting it up for touring this year. I think their a great balance between a fun bike on curvy roads and something a little more comfortable if set up properly.

BUT most inexperienced riders or beginners would be a bit afraid to climb aboard a 1200 cc or even 883 cc 550+ pound motorcycle with a boat load of torque or dish out $6,500-$9,000+ on a motorcycle if they don't want used. That is where a 250 Harley twin would sell!
Old 01-20-2011, 01:37 AM   #12
bdesj
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdmove View Post
No kidding? For a big bike (IMO, 650 and over is getting into "big" category), that`s danged impressive! Now if they just came with mufflers....
bdesj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:32 AM   #13
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photog View Post
Here's the Harley Topper.

http://www.harleytopperclub.com/
Yep they had side car etc. HD has to do something or they died as a brand of usa bike builders. with most people whom buy one making 45 grand and in there mid 40 it doesn't look good for them. They might make something like a sporters scooter like bike. There main problem is engines due to using v twins. Whom going to buy something that doesn't look like HD?
Old 01-20-2011, 08:29 AM   #14
FRANK-N-WING
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Like this

These were built on the HD platform several years back by Vetter I believe.

Frank-n-wing
FRANK-N-WING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:40 AM   #15
Crossthread
Maker of Sharp Stuff

Oddometer: 628
HD engineering dept sez:

"Fat, overweight, underpowered, unreliable, vibrating, massively overpriced step-through POS scooter?

Sure. We can do that."

(So says the guy who has the H-D Softail in his garage. )

Crossthread is offline   Reply With Quote