User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2015, 08:58 AM   #1
mysticerror OP
n00b

Oddometer: 6
The Mystic's - Differences?

I have two 94 Mystics. One is a US released and one is a CANADIAN. I haven't had a chance to ride the US one as I bought it right at the end of the Season and up here in Alberta, Canada cannot ride in Winter. Anyways, the only difference I can see in stock form is that the Carbs are different. The CAN is same as the EURO spec and has 40mm BINGS with the matching Larger Intake Spigots. Are there any other differences I can looks for?

Unfortunately, I cannot do a direct comparison as the US one is modified. It's been dual plugged, raised bar-backs, Rear Adj FOX Stock, and either an EPCO or Keihan Y Pipe in Place of the OEM Collector (to name a few). The CAN is Stock except for a Ohlins stock in the rear.

Jacob
Attached Images

mysticerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 09:38 AM   #2
chasbmw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticerror View Post
I have two 94 Mystics. One is a US released and one is a CANADIAN. I haven't had a chance to ride the US one as I bought it right at the end of the Season and up here in Alberta, Canada cannot ride in Winter. Anyways, the only difference I can see in stock form is that the Carbs are different. The CAN is same as the EURO spec and has 40mm BINGS with the matching Larger Intake Spigots. Are there any other differences I can looks for?

Unfortunately, I cannot do a direct comparison as the US one is modified. It's been dual plugged, raised bar-backs, Rear Adj FOX Stock, and either an EPCO or Keihan Y Pipe in Place of the OEM Collector (to name a few). The CAN is Stock except for a Ohlins stock in the rear.

Jacob
Jim Cray reckons that the 40Mm bings as fitted to the last airheads were a very nice carb, but I can,t remember why!
1971 Commando Fastback
chasbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 02:02 PM   #3
Clay Spinner
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasbmw View Post
Jim Cray reckons that the 40Mm bings as fitted to the last airheads were a very nice carb, but I can,t remember why!
I recall Richie 'Moorespeed' telling me it had to do something with/about flow as he recommended them for my engine after modding my heads and valves etc. As you recall.. it was only the 40mm carbs from the last year of the production airhead GS or something. All I know is that I bought two set of them at the time.

You'd have thought that between the two of us we would have remembered a bit more than that! I'm embarassed!
Clay Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 02:13 PM   #4
danedg
Horizontally Opposed

Oddometer: 6,531
The seat is different

It's a '95 US 32 Bings

danedg screwed with this post 01-15-2015 at 02:23 PM
danedg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 04:01 PM   #5
Rob Farmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,508
I had a us spec 100gs fitted with 32mm carbs and my UK 100pd with 40mm carbs. My personal preference was the 32mm carbs there was far more mid range pull and the bike ran much better all the way through.
Rob Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 06:35 PM   #6
Clay Spinner
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Farmer View Post
I had a us spec 100gs fitted with 32mm carbs and my UK 100pd with 40mm carbs. My personal preference was the 32mm carbs there was far more mid range pull and the bike ran much better all the way through.
Certainly not the first person to say that. I was simply answering that the later 40mm carbs are considered by some, to be the better ones. All I remember being told to look for were the carbs that came on the last year of production for the r100GS.

EDIT: the 40mm carbs were recommended for an engine with both head and valve work/modification... i.e. non standard.

Clay Spinner screwed with this post 01-15-2015 at 07:38 PM
Clay Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 06:48 PM   #7
supershaft
Banned

Oddometer: 9,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Spinner View Post
Certainly not the first person to say that. I was simply answering that the later 40mm carbs are considered by some, to be the better ones. All I remember being told to look for were the carbs that came on the last year of production for the r100GS.
I wonder what the difference is? That's news to me. It should be on a Euro ETK? I personally like the 32mm Bings CV's better than the 40mm CV's. Performance wise? Performance and Bing CV's shouldn't be in the same sentence. Bing CV's are great carbs IF you are not concerned with performance. Other carbs do just about everything better. 32mm Bing? A 38mm Dell or Mikuni has better low, mid and top end response and performance. Better mileage too if they are jetted correctly.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 11:56 PM   #8
Rob Farmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,508
The later 40mm carbs have a unique casting, slide and needle. Great if you keep the bike standard but the longer needle limits options when tuning. The slide is also longer than the earlier 40mm carbs and has an o ring at the top, I've come across two of these, including my own where the o rings have expanded preventing the slides from going down fully, I presume this is down to ethanol in the fuel.

The change in design is supposed to increase torque over the original 40mm carb. It appears to just be an additional air reservoir that bleeds into the dome above the diaphragm. I'm just in the process of taking the dellortos off my engine and fitting the bings back on. If you want any internal shots of the bings I'll post them up.

Both bikes I had were 93. Jumping from one to the other it was obvious that the U.S. one with the 32mm carbs was much better on the low and midrange.

I think the top end gains of the 40mm carbs is pretty academic on a road going gs

Rob Farmer screwed with this post 01-16-2015 at 12:47 AM
Rob Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 09:57 AM   #9
supershaft
Banned

Oddometer: 9,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Farmer View Post
The later 40mm carbs have a unique casting, slide and needle. Great if you keep the bike standard but the longer needle limits options when tuning. The slide is also longer than the earlier 40mm carbs and has an o ring at the top, I've come across two of these, including my own where the o rings have expanded preventing the slides from going down fully, I presume this is down to ethanol in the fuel.

The change in design is supposed to increase torque over the original 40mm carb. It appears to just be an additional air reservoir that bleeds into the dome above the diaphragm. I'm just in the process of taking the dellortos off my engine and fitting the bings back on. If you want any internal shots of the bings I'll post them up.

Both bikes I had were 93. Jumping from one to the other it was obvious that the U.S. one with the 32mm carbs was much better on the low and midrange.

I think the top end gains of the 40mm carbs is pretty academic on a road going gs
I agree. A 32mm Bing being better at low and midrange performance than a 40mm Bing doesn't say much for the 40mm Bings since a 38mm Dell or Mikuni has quite a bit better low and midrange performance over a 32mm Bing.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote