User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2014, 04:40 AM   #1
jclark83 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 362
R100GS Spark Plug Wire Question

I guess one of the joys of owning and wrenching on older bikes is the unexpected suprise you find every time you work on them. I had a hard start issue at a rally over the weekend. The bike sat outside in the cool damp evening air overnight. In the morning it took a lot of cranking before it finally started. My initial thoughts were cracked coil or bad plug wires. It first started on one cylinder then picked up the second cylinder after a few revolutions. The bike ran fine after it finally started. The first thing I checked were the plug wires, they are copper core wires with screw on metal caps. The left wire checked a solid 1K ohms, the right wire fluctuated between 0 and 1K depending on how I flexed the wire at the cap end. I cut about 10mm off the right wire and screwed the cap back on, solid 1K ohm reading. I was given a spare wire with the bike, metal end molded to the wire, it checks 5K ohms. I did my internet research before checking things out and was surprised to find 1K wires with what I assume is stock electronic ignition. The spark plugs are NGK BP6ES. The bike starts and runs fine. I do not know how long these wires have been on the bike, I have only owned it for 4 months and put around 3k miles on it. Should I change out the caps for 5K ones? Is the ignition system damaged from the 1K caps? It has a motoelectric 400w alternator upgrade, does this effect anything with the ignition?

jclark83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 05:46 AM   #2
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 1,838
Thumb 5k

Alternator will have no effect on the ignition system (assuming both working).

Change the plug caps for 5k ones.. the sooner the better. Risks .. the ICU and/or the coil (probably stressed, could lead to early failure). Suggest you carry spares. Including a spare spark pug, plug cap and HT wire. The spare coil takes a bit of room, the rest are easily fitted/hidden somewhere.
Warin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 09:35 AM   #3
jclark83 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 362
Fresh plugs and wires with the proper 5K caps are on the way. I guess time will tell if any damage has been done to the ignition system. It's hard to tell how long the 1K caps were on the bike.
jclark83 is online now   Reply With Quote