User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2015, 02:25 PM   #1
Bill Harris OP
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 8,525
Motobins shipping...

...on something large and heavy like a pair of /6 mufflers. I've noticed a bunch of rusted pinholes in the ancient Keihans so I'm starting to kick tires on new mufflers for the /5. Motobins has decent prices but I've no idea of the shipping.

I need a set of 38mm /6 CHROME muffs and Sito looks to be the only game in town. If anyone knows where I can get a NIB 38mm Sito chrome RIGHT SIDE muffler let me know-- I can get one new left muff of that flavor.

Wheelin' and dealin' in BMW parts. How times change-- the old mufflers were chrome Zeuna from Capital Cycle 35 years ago for $125 the pair...

--Bill
Old 06-21-2015, 02:32 PM   #2
Arkwright
Grumpy ole Git

Oddometer: 139
Email Damien at Motobins, he'll give you a price, a very helpful fella, he deals with their export orders, and 20 miles away!
Old 06-21-2015, 02:35 PM   #3
Stan_R80/7
Beastly Gnarly

Oddometer: 1,630
I believe Motobins will price shipping if emailed about the purchase. They ship a lot of parts to the USA and have gotten the shipping figured out. I still have the old Zeuna mufflers but have eyed the Emco reproductions. The Emco are chromed steel with a price to match. Still, these airhead mufflers seem to last quite a while - which I attribute to their design and not some exotic materials. That means there are decent used mufflers still available. New stainless mufflers are somewhat expensive (IMO).
Stan_R80/7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 02:35 PM   #4
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 10,210
That would have been back in the good ole days and CC was still on Champlain St in Washington DC.

I saw a really nice R90/6 yesterday that was the twine of my bike only in very nice condition. The Sito muffs on her were in excellent shape.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 03:47 PM   #5
Bill Harris OP
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan_R80/7 View Post
I still have the old Zeuna mufflers but have eyed the Emco reproductions. The Emco are chromed steel with a price to match. ...New stainless mufflers are somewhat expensive (IMO).
I wonder how well the Emgo muffs fit-- clearance between frame parts is limited. Emgo is typically quality stuff, but the fit of the is critical. My Local Bike Shop deals in EMGO and I'd prefer to spend my bucks locally.

I prefer chrome-- the straw-color that stainless weathers to doesn't look right to me.

--Bill
Old 06-21-2015, 04:03 PM   #6
100RT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 798
JC Whitney sells EMGO's around $85. each and free shipping. I have no experience with the brand. Before the dollar went south years ago I bought a pair of Keihens from Motobin's and the service was fast and cheaper then the dealer here in Ohio.
Mild acid and a buff brings the stainless back to new.
100RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 04:28 PM   #7
RaystheBMW
1986 R65

Oddometer: 173
Beware Motobins shipping! I was told shipping would be calculated and billed at time of shipment, so I was instantly suspicious when my motorcycle seat arrived from the UK to my house in Maryland in 2 days. Yes, the shipping fee was in the low 3 figures.
RaystheBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 05:27 PM   #8
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 2,331
If shipping cost are a factor then ask.
Most if not all my motobins shipping has been through 'Royal Mail' .. and they have an on line calculator ...
Royal Mail Ltd

They may use someone else if it is heavy/long ... or you ask for it.

Ask motobins and they should give you an estimate .. and you can request a carrier ... if you don't ask you'll won't get an answer.
Warin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 05:29 PM   #9
Stan_R80/7
Beastly Gnarly

Oddometer: 1,630
Some detailed questions about how the package(s) are shipped from UK will make a difference in the shipped part(s). It may be more economical to ship each muffler separately - but I don't know. I've ordered (used) parts from Motorworks (https://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/Home/index.php) and they included shipping in the total cost.

Here are some of the EMGO mufflers at Amazon.com for $85.00 each: http://www.amazon.com/Emgo-Replica-U.../dp/B000GVGJBW - It would be good if someone could provide a review of the EMGO's. They make the /5 and later /7 styles. I expect some 'fitting' would be required.
Stan_R80/7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 07:45 PM   #10
bmwrench
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,353
The EMGOs fit quite well, but they are quite thin, and the chrome, which looks very nice when new, seems to corrode quickly unless it is well cared for. A regular cleaning and waxing should keep them looking nice.

Several vendors stock them and Kelhans. If you buy from one of us, you won't need to wonder about the shipping cost from Great Britain.
bmwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 09:03 PM   #11
Bill Harris OP
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Very good point, sir. I've never bought from Motobins, and am just "kicking tires" on the mufflers. Their price is attractive, but there is a three-figure shipping cost to consider. I'll go local on these items.

At $90 the Emgo muffs sound good, but you do get what you pay for. Cave canem, or sumptin' like that...

--Bill
Old 06-22-2015, 04:06 AM   #12
GrahamM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
Uli in Frankfurt, Germany have very good reproduction pipes made in Germany, when I bought they said they are the same material and manufacturing spec as BMW. That was some years ago. I frequent their shop when I get a chance, very helpful and deal with sipping around the world. They are very good with /5 and before.
Old 06-22-2015, 05:38 AM   #13
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 10,210
I bought an inferior header pipe set some years ago. The talk of thin chrome on the Emgo's makes me think of this. These pipes had nice enough looking chrome for about a week. They started rusting immediately. A total waste of money. I consider the idea that you are going to protect your chrome with wax is ludicrous. Nothing personal but the chrome is there to protect the steel from rust. The idea that I have to now protect the chrome is not right in my book. I also don't think it will work. I ride all year round and my bike is parked outside often without a cover. This may not be the life for all the Airheads but I don't think it is uncommon.

Fitment was pretty bad. The diameter of the pipes required me to open the muffs some I spent at least an hour wrestling with this. I finally got the muffs beat on with a 2x4. Of course the ends of these were now quit beat up. They were old muffs but they were the original type. I now have a used set of /5 muffs on my bike and they are in a little better condition. (thanks BMWHACKER)

To get the /5 muffs on I had to find a good used OEM right side header and a usable crossover.

I would stay away from Emgo. I would stay away from any of the cheaper stuff. Maybe it's me tho. I'm always disappointed with cheap stuff on my bike.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 05:49 AM   #14
100RT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 798
I have to agree with Disston. The Southeast Asia EMGO's will rust more so then others.
A friend likes his Sitos and they have held up well in NW Pa.
100RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 08:16 AM   #15
Bill Harris OP
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Emgo makes a lot of quality aftermarket items for a lot of bikes. But with mufflers you're talking niche repro parts for an antique/classic motorcycle.

Quality counts. The mufflers getting ready to be replaced in a year or two were4 installed in the mid-80's and have lasted a career, a marriage and well into "graduation from work". This is one distributor's write-up on the Sito mufflers:

Quote:
SITO SILENCERS

Sito are situated in Italy and make 600,000 after market silencers per year to superior spec. for over 200 different models. We believe that they are a considerable improvement on the originals. They use thicker chromed steel and the internal silencer assembly is kept completely separate from the external skin. The internals are coated with melamine to prevent any condensation on cold spots from corroding the metal. This problem is the killer of normal BMW silencers, especially on short runs. Exhaust note is slightly more roarty than the originals but within the required legal specification.

The price from the UK on a pair of chrome steel Sitos is $350 and shipping will run $50-$90 depending on speed of transit. Local Sito prices run in the $470 range. So it's pretty much a wash on that deal.

--Bill