User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2011, 04:05 PM   #1
Animo OP
Beastly n00b

Oddometer: 4,894
Exploring San Miguel de Allende,Guanajuato, Mexico with my Son

I was transferring pictures from one removable drive to another and run into these pictures taken last summer They brought back some great memories and also realized I never did get to share them on ADV

We took a few weeks off and visited San Miguel de Allende in Guanajuato and brought along all the bikes. My son and I rode all over the place, these pictures cover some of the days and places we visited.

We arrived and Reese had to get used to wet, slick mud. He had ridden in sand before but not mud on his new bike (just bought it in April) He took to it really fast, that little Honda handled fantastically well.

The next day we met neighbors who also had bikes and they wanted to show us around. They also had Hondas that you could bunny hop. I, on the other hand only had my Yamaha dual purpose (which translates to: Too friggin' heavy for any type of difficult terrain) and quickly discovered my bike was definitely not made for big rocks, deep mud, steep rocky terrain and the like

The ride stared out fine, it was fun exploring the mountains close by the house.

The ride quickly became more challenging.

Becoming steeper and steeper.

The trail was super rocky, and did I say steep?

Reese needed a hand going uphill, he was just getting used to the bike/terrain and in some places was not comfortable riding.

We finally came to a little dam 1/2 way up the mountain and took a little breather.

Reese was getting the hang of it.

I, on the other hand was used to the bike, but helplessly screwed. The heavy 250cc was slipping and getting no traction on all the big rocks. I held the ride up for most of the climb feeling like a total old n00b! The bike slipped and slipped. Being geared for pavement and unpaved roads didn’t help. The other riders had real bikes for this terrain. (Regardless of excuse I felt like a total n00b!)

Once on top of the mountain I was relieved my bike made it!

But then I quickly realized the bad part: What goes up must come down! (That was the way down )

Just when you thought going up was difficult on the 250cc crapdualmoto coming down was even a great challenge. Of course my son, who I was worried about at the beginning of the ride just buzzed right past me laughing at me efforts! Here he is asking me if I was going to be allright!

I did make it down pretty easily, the way up was much more difficult thanks to my bike.

Perhaps it was not wise to go on the hardest ride we encountered the whole time we were there first, but in retrospect this ride did make all the others seem wayyyyy easy.

Thanks for checking it out, more to come.......

Yucatan | Chiapas | Belize 1 | Belize 2 | QRoo | Guanajuato
Animo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 04:11 PM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,853
Nice father and son fun time! Lucky kid
Old 09-17-2011, 09:46 PM   #3
Arte
Pata de Perro

Oddometer: 1,545
That was a very nice Father and Son time !!

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote